Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
shoothi

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by shoothi »

You can go one of two ways with adversity. The ability to execute under pressure, trust your teammate, stay calm, and develop mental toughness to win games all starts in practice.

While I do not know enough about Raymond’s coaching tendencies, habits, and overall game strategy, it seems way early to put all the blame on him.

Players have the ball in their stick, know what players can control the game, and have to be responsible for their errors and called out when they occur as well as praised for their success. We will find out who the leaders on this team are as the talent is more than capable.

This week's practice will provide the answers to the above. The season is still in front of them, hopefully, they learn/decide to play with confidence, stay calm, execute and take control of the season.

It is all right there in front of them, let's see if they can put together a complete game on both sides.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

I hear what SMAIN is saying , but I was down on the fence Along the side line and Hobart felt flat . Shea handled face offs well but SHU ‘s Face off group is not very strong
Credit Adam for doing what he needed to as opposed to a lot of the teams other leaders including coaches that didn’t step up.
OR more appropriately didn’t step on the neck of a weaker opponent.
Been a signature of Raymond teams to play down to level of weaker opponents
Coach spends a lot of time on his podcasts talking about character of the guys and that they are fighters ..
I really didn’t see that at SHU
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

In case you missed this. Certainly reads like something that needs to be done at Bart.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/03/22/r ... er-hobart/
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Pretty damning for Bart, but credit SHU. They earned the W.

Time to see what this Hobart team and staff are really made of Saturday. Bryant will look to step on their throats and humiliate them. Given the past we know the Boz (bc of the refs) doesn't really offer us a home field advantage, so the fundamentals - wings, passing, GBs, shooting - will dictate whether or not this season has any juice left.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

I remember a couple years ago the team had a players only meeting. I don't know if that worked then but maybe that's what is needed now.
Also, the captains need to step up and show some leadership.
nescac commit

Post by nescac commit »

Looking to be a competitive game against Bryant this weekend. I might try to make it up because I've never seen Hobart live, but I have a few family members who played there a while ago. Do we have any idea if we'll be getting some guys back from injury this weekend, or will it be the same group as SHU? Feel free to PM if you don't want to put it out there.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Looking like no podcast this week. Here's the preview:

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2022/3/24 ... field.aspx
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

To SMAIN’s point they need some team leaders to step forward and demand better. We saw the team play at a significantly higher level against ranked opponents.
I don’t think this team has captains I think I remember one of the podcasts Coach said they have a “ leadership council” made up of a number of guys . Leadership by committee generally means lack of leadership.
Speaking of podcasts , no podcast after a terrible loss? That seems like bad form , show up and talk about the underperformance. If you want to have a team with character and a team that owns their performance it should start at the top.
Tough task with the Bulldogs , hopefully Adam Shea gets us lots of possessions and we can keep the ball out of Abladian’s stick.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Heard from Ted they recorded a pod earlier today. Will post here once I see it's up.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Hoping we don't see a repeat of last weeks debacle. Fundamentals such as GBs, executing plays and accurate shooting HAVE to be there. Toughness and a killer attitude need to come to fore.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Coach R admits the coaching staff didn't get the team to play the way they are best at....
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I tend to see the Coaches' role at its highest in the Fall and in the tournaments, but in the regular season, it is the players who just have to be better than the other guys. Coaches can calm guys down and get them thinking more clearly. At this level, the players shouldn't need a coach to inspire them.
Raymond used to be such a stickler for fundamentals ... long sets of drills until everyone performed well enough. I am not sure that is still going on ... could be, but I don't know. In any case, if these guys were not other there on their own this week, over spring break when there are no other commitments, then I don't think they are cut out for this level of play (not a comment on the D1-D3 fiasco ... just a comment about where this particular group is). I suspect they were out there on their own (in addition to practice). And I bet they come out ready tomorrow. If that's the case, then the big problem is that they left themselves no cushion in the event they meet a Bulldogs team on a tear. It should be a tough game, in tough conditions, on the Boz.
This team has the raw talent to be 5-0 right now (even with the injuries). But its at 2-3 ... catchnshoot is right about leadership by committee. I just hope that a couple of leaders float up to rally the rest.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

I’m completely conflicted about whether I should drive out to Geneva for this game or not. Thoughts?
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Oh, we have a leadership council....lovely. What I would like to see is, we change our nick name from Statesmen (wimpish) to the Senecas and instead of a leadership council we have a war council.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

SMAIN wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:10 pm Oh, we have a leadership council....lovely. What I would like to see is, we change our nick name from Statesmen (wimpish) to the Senecas and instead of a leadership council we have a war council.
That would imply a killer instinct. Haven't seen that from this team in ages.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Hopefully we will see some fire and desire today along with some solid fundamentals both physically and mentally.
If we don’t this will be over early.
Ketch you might as well go out to the game it could be the last one that really matters for the year!!
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Hobart wins today. Raymond gets the boys going and they beat an underachieving Bryant squad to get back on the right track.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I wouldn't miss it. Ketch, you should go. I'm with Courtdog, only I think Bryant comes fired up too. My bet is that it ends as a one point game.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

In the 4th quarter - 47 shot attempts and 16 on net??? How is this possible in D1 lacrosse?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”