Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by kramerica.inc »

Both sides are correct on this.

Loyola is not a good team yet. But they are improving and knocking on the door. And we are seeing all of the different areas do well in different games. If the kids and coaches can get them all rowing together at the same time, lookout.

And while it's always nice to get a win, no one here is really excited about a win over Bucknell aside that it puts us closer to where we want to go.

Army will be a test, like always. And it's another opportunity to get better. I think I like Army somewhat comfortably, by at least a few. They are a better team and further down the road than we are at this point in the season.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:42 am
Agree wholeheartedly. They finally let Binney play and he has more goals than the rest of the non-1st line middies combined. Maybe some of these younger guys will produce if given the opportunity.
I've got to say the constant whining about who is getting playing time is getting tiring, especially since your comments aren't based on facts. Do you even watch the games?

Unless you know what happens in practice on a daily and weekly basis, you're in no position to be opining about who should or should not get playing time. Several others have tried to explain this to you already. Moreover, you have no idea what other injury and off-the-field issues some of these kids may be going through.

Regarding your comment that "they finally let Binney play," he has played in every single game this season! Check the box scores. With the exception of the Duke game where Seay and Bateman sat out, we have used 9 middies in every game in various combinations. In the first four games, there were lots of permutations of Seay, Bateman, Heuston, Lindsey, Wigley, and Binney, whereas in the last two games we seemed to have more distinct 1st and 2nd lines that got the majority of the playing time, and the others were used more sparingly.

You don't like what you're seeing on the field, so your conclusion is that the coaches don't know what they're doing. Sure, maybe that is true. But on the other hand, maybe this elite coaching staff knows more than you do about how to manage this team.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

GreyingHound wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:42 pm
Agree wholeheartedly. They finally let Binney play and he has more goals than the rest of the non-1st line middies combined. Maybe some of these younger guys will produce if given the opportunity.
I've got to say the constant whining about who is getting playing time is getting tiring, especially since your comments aren't based on facts. Do you even watch the games?

Unless you know what happens in practice on a daily and weekly basis, you're in no position to be opining about who should or should not get playing time. Several others have tried to explain this to you already. Moreover, you have no idea what other injury and off-the-field issues some of these kids may be going through.

Regarding your comment that "they finally let Binney play," he has played in every single game this season! Check the box scores. With the exception of the Duke game where Seay and Bateman sat out, we have used 9 middies in every game in various combinations. In the first four games, there were lots of permutations of Seay, Bateman, Heuston, Lindsey, Wigley, and Binney, whereas in the last two games we seemed to have more distinct 1st and 2nd lines that got the majority of the playing time, and the others were used more sparingly.

You don't like what you're seeing on the field, so your conclusion is that the coaches don't know what they're doing. Sure, maybe that is true. But on the other hand, maybe this elite coaching staff knows more than you do about how to manage this team.
Welp...Greying Hound gets post of the day...came on here earlier and saw the posts and just chuckled...

The coaches play the best players. The players that give them the best chance to win...this staff is one of the best in the country...period. Binney has gotten lots of run and has done a nice job. He’s settling into his role and has a good future ahead of him the rest of this year and beyond.

Posters that have some agenda for players to play crack me up...if a kid isn’t playing he’s either not ready or he’s not good enough yet...maybe never

We can beat anyone in the PL and we can lose to anyone. There are no Maryland’s in the PL.

Bucknell was a PL win...nothing more, nothing less...but it was a win we needed. It’s a good win...hope they keep getting better...

Beat Army!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:53 pm

Welp...Greying Hound gets post of the day...came on here earlier and saw the posts and just chuckled...

The coaches play the best players. The players that give them the best chance to win...this staff is one of the best in the country...period. Binney has gotten lots of run and has done a nice job. He’s settling into his role and has a good future ahead of him the rest of this year and beyond.

Posters that have some agenda for players to play crack me up...if a kid isn’t playing he’s either not ready or he’s not good enough yet...maybe never

We can beat anyone in the PL and we can lose to anyone. There are no Maryland’s in the PL.

Bucknell was a PL win...nothing more, nothing less...but it was a win we needed. It’s a good win...hope they keep getting better...

Beat Army!

+1

It’s also potentially counterproductive to whine about a player not getting playing time. If a coach ever reads these boards and sniffs out a parent complaining, whoa nelly.

I don’t think that guy complaining is a parent, but honestly, sometimes perception becomes reality. Just don’t do it is my humble advice. Also, if you’re thinking of criticizing Charlie, just know that the guy and his staff are one of the most highly regarded coaching staffs in the nation. They’ll be here a while, and they’re doing more than getting specific kids their individual stats,..they’re trying to mold these kids into men, classroom attendance and grades as well as everything else.

On to Army and Brendan Nichtern.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I just started following this thread and have really enjoyed the banter. I am a Maryland boy who has lived in NC the last 10 years. I played against coach Toomey’s teams and he and his staff are arguably the best in the business. He recruits a ‘type’ that fits his vision. I have followed lax here closely especially as Loyola has taken 4 guys recently from the state. I am glad Lindsey is coming on. He is a highly skilled and can finish on anyone. Someone made the comments that the freshman might not be very good. I can tell you two from NC are some of the best I have seen. Roman and Annetta are really unique players. Extremely athletic and smart. Annetta was one of the better football players in the state and plays the crease like he played linebacker. Those two will do big things for the Hounds in the future. Everhart is another NC kid coming in ‘23. Another highly skilled player that fits the type. So to the person who posted about players not playing, Loyola is old, experienced and the extra year has compressed the timeline for the younger guys. There is a ton of talent on that sideline and the compression will impact playing time for a few more years.
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Exlaxbro wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:04 am I just started following this thread and have really enjoyed the banter. I am a Maryland boy who has lived in NC the last 10 years. I played against coach Toomey’s teams and he and his staff are arguably the best in the business. He recruits a ‘type’ that fits his vision. I have followed lax here closely especially as Loyola has taken 4 guys recently from the state. I am glad Lindsey is coming on. He is a highly skilled and can finish on anyone. Someone made the comments that the freshman might not be very good. I can tell you two from NC are some of the best I have seen. Roman and Annetta are really unique players. Extremely athletic and smart. Annetta was one of the better football players in the state and plays the crease like he played linebacker. Those two will do big things for the Hounds in the future. Everhart is another NC kid coming in ‘23. Another highly skilled player that fits the type. So to the person who posted about players not playing, Loyola is old, experienced and the extra year has compressed the timeline for the younger guys. There is a ton of talent on that sideline and the compression will impact playing time for a few more years.
Great to hear about the freshmen. Looking forward to next years team. I know the 22 class, of which my son is one, has 6 four star recruits. They’ll lose 19 and 7 on offense but 57 and 11 seem like they’ll be a nice full time addition. Hopefully next years second middie group will produce a bit more.
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

And BTW, I am not saying this year’s freshmen aren’t any good. My comment is merely about their lack of any playing time in a year when the team has gotten little production out of seniors and grads in certain positions. Hope they are good as team will need them next year.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:04 am
Exlaxbro wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:04 am I just started following this thread and have really enjoyed the banter. I am a Maryland boy who has lived in NC the last 10 years. I played against coach Toomey’s teams and he and his staff are arguably the best in the business. He recruits a ‘type’ that fits his vision. I have followed lax here closely especially as Loyola has taken 4 guys recently from the state. I am glad Lindsey is coming on. He is a highly skilled and can finish on anyone. Someone made the comments that the freshman might not be very good. I can tell you two from NC are some of the best I have seen. Roman and Annetta are really unique players. Extremely athletic and smart. Annetta was one of the better football players in the state and plays the crease like he played linebacker. Those two will do big things for the Hounds in the future. Everhart is another NC kid coming in ‘23. Another highly skilled player that fits the type. So to the person who posted about players not playing, Loyola is old, experienced and the extra year has compressed the timeline for the younger guys. There is a ton of talent on that sideline and the compression will impact playing time for a few more years.
Great to hear about the freshmen. Looking forward to next years team. I know the 22 class, of which my son is one, has 6 four star recruits. They’ll lose 19 and 7 on offense but 57 and 11 seem like they’ll be a nice full time addition. Hopefully next years second middie group will produce a bit more.
I don’t put a lot of credence on the stars. From a look at the roster, Loyola signed 2 four tar middies for example and only Higgins has produced so far. The two 2021 four star middie commits have yet to play this year. As said earlier, the transition to the college game is immense-especially at this level. Loyola is still in it albeit hanging by a thread right now. If they get mathematically eliminated from the post season then maybe some of the young guys will get some playing time. Right not I think the team is just trying to find a way to win.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Greying lets look at empirical evidence:
Olmstead, 25% shooting percentage, 28 points, but almost as many turnovers at 23
Lindley, 34% shooting percentage, 15 pts, 10 turnovers
Wigley, 13% shooting percentage, 3 pts, 3 turnovers

These are your 5th year leaders on offense, Not that impressive...36 turnovers from those three, should others get an chance, maybe. But when you discipline others on the field for screwing up, but not others, there seems to be a hierarchy of favoritism, not skill. If Olmstead is not producing, it cant hurt to put someone else in and see what they can do. You cannot coach by what if he becomes hot, facts say otherwise.

Seay is a captain appointed by the coaches because of the way he plays... you sit him after the Maryland game where no one looked good. And dont give me you dont see what goes on in practice, I see what happens on game day. That is where it counts.

Elite coaching staff? Come on man, you lost to Towson, Rutgers and Hopkins, all games that Loyola should have won, but didnt. An elite staff would have found ways to win and motivate their players. They did not.

And if this elite coaching staff is so well prepared, there should be no problem winning the patriot league conference and the tournament, because that is what elite coaches do when you play against teams that may be more athletically gifted. You find ways to win.

All I have given you is facts as of today, I am hopefully optimistic that Toomey et al can right the ship. Big test on Saturday.
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

If a coach is reading these boards, Loyola lacrosse has other issues than Xs and Os and player development

Since sports were created, there has been people that have criticized coaches and those that praise no matter what they do. Some where in the middle is the truth. That is what fans do.

Right now Loyola is not playing very well, and I am one that will point that out, Why? Because they can be so much better, this is the same team that was a bounce shot away from the final four last year. we can all agree they need to play better.

They need to win games they shouldnt, duke and hopefully georgetown, but they should also be blowing out teams that they should, Lafayette, Bucknell.
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

I agree that both sides are correct with there praise and their criticism.

I do think Loyola has a solid coaching staff, but a student of the game would see game day changes that should be made and are not. For example against Bucknell, they took away the crease. So a coach would see we cannot force feed the crease, and that ball movement and get the step down, which we did would lead to goals. But how many times did we force the crease and turn the ball over? It had to be 6-10 times. As soon as we saw that MVA should have adjusted, and if a player continued, there should be changes. To me some players are too comfortable, knowing no matter what they do they will not be sat.

My take is that the Loyola faithful cannot have green colored glasses on and only see the good, we also have to see our faults and that is how we become a tournament bound team. That is what I would like my son to experience
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

loyola2025 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:20 am I agree that both sides are correct with there praise and their criticism.

I do think Loyola has a solid coaching staff, but a student of the game would see game day changes that should be made and are not. For example against Bucknell, they took away the crease. So a coach would see we cannot force feed the crease, and that ball movement and get the step down, which we did would lead to goals. But how many times did we force the crease and turn the ball over? It had to be 6-10 times. As soon as we saw that MVA should have adjusted, and if a player continued, there should be changes. To me some players are too comfortable, knowing no matter what they do they will not be sat.

My take is that the Loyola faithful cannot have green colored glasses on and only see the good, we also have to see our faults and that is how we become a tournament bound team. That is what I would like my son to experience
I'm going to be an optimist, they were overmatched against MD and crap against Towson, but they lost two one goal games to at least decent teams with basically no goalkeeping (Hopkins a literal trash can in net would have had the same number of saves, it was brutal). To me outside of the specialists deficit they've been a really good team in 5 out of the 7 games. If Shafer really is back to being decent they'll continue to be good.
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:03 pm
loyola2025 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:20 am I agree that both sides are correct with there praise and their criticism.

I'm going to be an optimist, they were overmatched against MD and crap against Towson, but they lost two one goal games to at least decent teams with basically no goalkeeping (Hopkins a literal trash can in net would have had the same number of saves, it was brutal). To me outside of the specialists deficit they've been a really good team in 5 out of the 7 games. If Shafer really is back to being decent they'll continue to be good.
Good points. One question I would ask. Are the coaches getting the most out of their athletes?

For the first 6 games. I would say no. An elite staff would. We have good coaches. Look at Tillman. His team executes no matter what team they play as putting 20 plus on UVA. That is an elite staff.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Loyolalax wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:05 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:03 pm

Good points. One question I would ask. Are the coaches getting the most out of their athletes?

For the first 6 games. I would say no. An elite staff would. We have good coaches. Look at Tillman. His team executes no matter what team they play as putting 20 plus on UVA. That is an elite staff.
I really don't think it has been nearly that bleak. Again I think they're not good goalkeeping but simply not disastrous goalkeeping from 5-2 and a clear road to an at large. Is Toomey supposed to step in cage himself? He tried four guys.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Let’s go hounds!!!!

If any players are reading this, go to sleep. Need 110% energy tomorrow.

Shut off Nichtern.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:19 pm Let’s go hounds!!!!

Shut off Nichtern.
Interested to see who covers Nichtern. Wyers hasn't been good against dodgers so far so for me Hughes makes more sense.

Army is a pretty average 49% on faceoffs but their starting goalie is 57%. I think Loyola needs to be up at the X. If Shafer can win to that is a bonus but win the faceoffs and you aren't going to lose the specialists by a wide margin most likely.

I think Loyola is going to score in the 11 to 13 range so the question for me is can they defend well enough to win at that number. And of course crucially can they get the saves. If Army can reliably score from outside the whole situation changes and in a bad way.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:25 pm

Shut off Nichtern.
Interested to see who covers Nichtern. Wyers hasn't been good against dodgers so far so for me Hughes makes more sense.

Army is a pretty average 49% on faceoffs but their starting goalie is 57%. I think Loyola needs to be up at the X. If Shafer can win to that is a bonus but win the faceoffs and you aren't going to lose the specialists by a wide margin most likely.

I think Loyola is going to score in the 11 to 13 range so the question for me is can they defend well enough to win at that number. And of course crucially can they get the saves. If Army can reliably score from outside the whole situation changes and in a bad way.

Historically, army has had a great goalie. The hounds need to think about their shot placement.

LFG! If St. Peter’s, a Jesuit school, can get to the elite 8, we can take down Army!!! LFG!!!!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:34 am

Shut off Nichtern.

Historically, army has had a great goalie. The hounds need to think about their shot placement.

LFG! If St. Peter’s, a Jesuit school, can get to the elite 8, we can take down Army!!! LFG!!!!
Ouch.....not a good day. Missed the game, was at another one today. What are your thoughts on what happened. Looked up the box score and still no #11 Huggins for Army. Have not seen intel on why he is has not played...strange.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:23 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:34 am

Shut off Nichtern.

Ouch.....not a good day. Missed the game, was at another one today. What are your thoughts on what happened. Looked up the box score and still no #11 Huggins for Army. Have not seen intel on why he is has not played...strange.

Well, one of our offensive stars went 1 for 11 on shots. Last week it was Kevin. This week someone ekes.

We can’t sync our stars.

It’s okay. We aren’t dead yet.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

PB what? This was a tough game to lose, they had a good first half but imploded in the 2nd

Team is now 3-5 and currently 4th in the patriot league.

Have to play consistently well across all quarters now
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”