ODAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

Re: ODAC 2022

Post by River Donkey »

I agree and think there is no need to hit the panic button but the same issue is showing up in other conferences. The “big boys” no longer have the “pick of the litter”. I think it’s not just other options available in the south but bloated and overloaded rosters on D2 teams in the region. If a kid can throw and catch down south he is getting D2 offers.
FerrumLaxDad

Post by FerrumLaxDad »

Last nights game shows that Lynchburg has a lot they need to work on in the defensive end if they are going to be a national championship contender this year. However it’s only March and I’m sure this game will be one they can learn from. I was very impressed with Kenney last night 4g 2 a is a great stat line against a top 3 team. Defenders need to stick to him because he showed he has a quick release and doesn’t need a lot of space to get high quality shot off. Another bright spot on offense is Riley Mitchell. On a short stick he has shown he can get the middle of the field and score with both hands. Bright spot on defense was ssdm play on my opinion. If they can tighten things up off ball and in the clearing game the defense will take a huge step forward. Can’t wait to see how ODAC play goes.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

13-8 CNU. Thought game was @ 7:00. Missed it.
Wish W&L had video link to games on schedule page like LYN.
By score alone looks like W&L is coming into trophy run form.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:32 pm 13-8 CNU. Thought game was @ 7:00. Missed it.
Not really the game was worse than the score W&L with 21 saves and a total of 7 shots second half 5 on cage. Beaten in every category. Could have been much worse 10-5 at half it was over, much as I expected. The big concern is can they top Roanoke I think so but Kammermann ( averages 7 shots a game shooting 40%) needs to be contained and I think it’s hopefully not w a early slide he’ll kill you. Let’s see who gets the assignment,I’d pick Hubbard he needs a big day!
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

W&L could not keep up with CNU. They switched to zone in the 2nd half which helped slow down the CNU offense but were never a threat to score.
Turnovers again really hurt
FerrumLaxDad

Post by FerrumLaxDad »

NJlxrdad wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:47 pm W&L could not keep up with CNU. They switched to zone in the 2nd half which helped slow down the CNU offense but were never a threat to score.
That zone defense could win them a championship. Lynchburg offense hasn’t shown that it can consistently score against zone in the past. Force outside shots with a good goalie and it will be an offensive nightmare when they match up.
ShenandoahLaxDad

Post by ShenandoahLaxDad »

FerrumLaxDad wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:52 pm
NJlxrdad wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:47 pm W&L could not keep up with CNU. They switched to zone in the 2nd half which helped slow down the CNU offense but were never a threat to score.
That zone defense could win them a championship. Lynchburg offense hasn’t shown that it can consistently score against zone in the past. Force outside shots with a good goalie and it will be an offensive nightmare when they match up.
kryptonite of the Lynchburg offense is zone, that has been proven year after year.

They have the athletes to be great in man to man, but don't have the stick skills for zone.
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&L has Roanoke this Saturday then Lynchburg.The Generals may need 10-12 to beat Roanoke. Generals need to stay out of the penalty box it could come down to something as simple as that. Not much time to prep for this one, right back at hit. I’m taking the Generals but could be very close. Good luck
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

CNU is a very good team but still, W&L offense was not impressive. They don’t have players who can break down a defense and they don’t have an offensive plan that can overcome that weakness. Tough to watch.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:59 pm
Nothinbutthelax wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:32 pm 13-8 CNU. Thought game was @ 7:00. Missed it.
Not really the game was worse than the score W&L with 21 saves and a total of 7 shots second half 5 on cage. Beaten in every category. Could have been much worse 10-5 at half it was over, much as I expected. The big concern is can they top Roanoke I think so but Kammermann ( averages 7 shots a game shooting 40%) needs to be contained and I think it’s hopefully not w a early slide he’ll kill you. Let’s see who gets the assignment,I’d pick Hubbard he needs a big day!
There no doubt they struggle to produce good offense against the better defense. Turnovers are a major issue. However that game was played much closer than your giving them credit for. As someone who actually made the drive and sat in the rain and watched. The W&L defense gave up some quick ones early, then it was a 1 goal game the final 45min. The zone really frustrated CNU to the point where they were yelling at each other, they scored once against it in the 2nd half despite having a major possession difference. The big difference was CNUs ride. W&L like many teams struggled mightily against it. In terms of shots, W&L clearly wanted to be deliberate keep the ball away from the CNU offense, no doubt they’d like to get more than 23. I thought the game plan was very sound, they knew they couldn’t get into a fast pace game with that team. 0-3 on the EMO hurts, game was 12-8 until CNU chipped one in final 2 minutes while W&L was pressing out. They probably gave better teams the blueprint for CNU, they just don’t have the horses.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

W&L plays the zone well. I think the problem has been they have waited until they are down by more than 3 goals and they just aren’t built to come from behind. Winning 8-7 might be their formula
Dehuntshigwa’es

If you are going with the zone you’d better be at least 50% on face offs and restrict the number of turnovers. Generals had 27! It’s just a slow death otherwise. There’s a vaccine for high turnover players it’s called “ take a seat”. I’m hoping they go straight up against Roanoke and let Hubbard loose. Maybe time to change the man up unit or a different play , 2 for 20
Nothinbutthelax

Looks like FOs were fairly even vs. CNU and they had Cabaniss back who won 68% vs LYN before he went down.
LYN has the sticks to break a zone and I’m sure they are putting it in practices as W&L showdown approaches.
Such a rivalry I think it can be a close one..
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:22 am If you are going with the zone you’d better be at least 50% on face offs and restrict the number of turnovers. Generals had 27! It’s just a slow death otherwise. There’s a vaccine for high turnover players it’s called “ take a seat”. I’m hoping they go straight up against Roanoke and let Hubbard loose. Maybe time to change the man up unit or a different play , 2 for 20
Well yes. If you can’t win face offs and you turn the ball over it won’t make any difference what D you play. My point is more that with this years offense it is unlikely W&L can win a game where the D gives up 9 or more. Assuming everything else is equal
laxgoat

Post by laxgoat »

Congrats to CNU! 2022 ODAC Regular season Champs (5-0).
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

laxgoat wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:32 am Congrats to CNU! 2022 ODAC Regular season Champs (5-0).
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothinbutthelax

CNU need to beat Ferrum and Shenandoah before claiming ODAC crown😜
Dehuntshigwa’es

NJlxrdad wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:23 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:22 am If you are going with the zone you’d better be at least 50% on face offs and restrict the number of turnovers. Generals had 27! It’s just a slow death otherwise. There’s a vaccine for high turnover players it’s called “ take a seat”. I’m hoping they go straight up against Roanoke and let Hubbard loose. Maybe time to change the man up unit or a different play , 2 for 20
Well yes. If you can’t win face offs and you turn the ball over it won’t make any difference what D you play. My point is more that with this years offense it is unlikely W&L can win a game where the D gives up 9 or more. Assuming everything else is equal
I get your point. W&L has had so many seasons where the D would hold an opponent below 10 and W&L would lose. Shot clock is not a W&L ally. Otherwise I’d win the first face off score then stall. I’m hoping they play Roanoke straight up and use the zone against Lynchburg who I think is the better team on paper. W&L has had dominate face off men, several D men and great goal play the last 10 years only Witherell sticks out on the O.Given the situation recognizing the O is limited it amplifies their need for taking care of the ball and winning every ground ball. Do that and they will put themselves in the best position to win. Hoping for the best Saturday
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

It seems they have played better--and scored more--when they go uptempo....
mdlaxdad

Post by mdlaxdad »

After losing Taylor last year, W&l has to be surprised by Spagnoletti so far. Definitely playing at an All-american level if he keeps it up. While his defense has given him chances on seeing most shots. 21 saves yesterday in a five goal loss, 20 saves in a one goal loss to York, 19 saves in a four goal loss to Gettysburg. Without Spagnoletti in cage, some of these "close" games should have been blowouts. Let's hope he can continue his success as the offense continues to find their identity.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”