NCAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Switzerland

Re: NCAC 2022

Post by Switzerland »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:53 pm An interesting editorial, and some perspective, from the Wooster student newspaper:

https://thewoostervoice.spaces.wooster. ... scaled.jpg
I am not surprised that this is what occurred to call for the school’s actions. While I knew it could have been the case, I never thought Coach Kav used the slur to refer to a player, opponent, etc. If that had been the case, after the “investigation,” he would have been fired or on “permanent leave” immediately. However, they investigated, reinstated him, then they doubled back.

While a certainly agree that there are times when the context is incredibly important and viewing things in a vacuum doesn’t do them justice, I am utterly befuddled that Coach Kav can’t READ THE F#&%ING ROOM. Regardless of what he was “referencing,” just don’t say it. It doesn’t matter if you are referencing historical significance and usage or quoting the lyrics to the WAP. These situations will not go over very well for many people, especially the cis-gender, white male.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

One interesting score of note this week is Oberlin beating Hope 12-11. Why is this interesting? Earlier in the week, Hope edges out Illinois Wesleyan, previously ranked #14 in US Lacrosse/Nike Poll and Hope had also beaten Elmhurst, which then defeated DePauw handily, 13-5.

Considering Oberlin really didn't play last year, this is a positive step. They are 2-1 this season, with a loss to a good Albion team (21-13) that just pasted Wooster 20-5.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

OldWU wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:42 am One interesting score of note this week is Oberlin beating Hope 12-11. Why is this interesting? Earlier in the week, Hope edges out Illinois Wesleyan, previously ranked #14 in US Lacrosse/Nike Poll and Hope had also beaten Elmhurst, which then defeated DePauw handily, 13-5.

Considering Oberlin really didn't play last year, this is a positive step. They are 2-1 this season, with a loss to a good Albion team (21-13) that just pasted Wooster 20-5.
It is too early to tell, but I wouldn't be surprised if Oberlin had a good shot at the 4 seed from early scores. It looked like they had a young team before COVID shut everything down in 2020. The previous staff also seemed to bring in some decent 1st years that have logged some minutes, even though they were the only school in the conference to not compete in 2021. I am also not very impressed with the starts by Wooster, Witt, and DePauw, which I think are the other teams that are the most feasible for the last playoff spot.

Again, a lot can happen before and after conference play starts. Also, for what it's worth, it looks like Oberlin played a reasonably short bench against Hope. Depending on the reasoning, that may or may not be in their favor in the long run.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Tough to win when you go 33% from the face-off dot. That looked like the main difference between the two teams as Roanoke beat OWU 13-10 in Virginia. I've seen RIT in person this year, and I think there are very few D3 teams that can live with them.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:21 pm Tough to win when you go 33% from the face-off dot. That looked like the main difference between the two teams as Roanoke beat OWU 13-10 in Virginia. I've seen RIT in person this year, and I think there are very few D3 teams that can live with them.
I haven’t seen enough of either team to call my shot, but OWU’s start doesn’t seem incredibly impressive. What will be the OWU faithful’s thoughts if they finish the regular season 3rd behind Denison and Kenyon?
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

I don't think that will happen and hopefully the Bishops will be ready for their date with Denison on April 15th. Right now, they are a work in progress. Senior attack group has shown flashes of brilliance and they have experience at close defense, LSM and d-middies. They have two freshmen and a sophomore (who never played due to injury) who are playing on the top two midfield units that show lots of promise, and a first year goalie who is getting lots of great experience. As noted, face-offs are a big problem that has to be addressed. The loss against Roanoke was disappointing as they had two-goal leads four times during the game, including the the 3Q. Sloppy play and turnovers led to several easy goals that did them in.

Next three games are great tests before conference play begins. John Carroll (4-0) is ranked 11th in the current US Lacrosse Poll, RIT is #1 in most polls and Albion is 5-0 and have scored 20+ goals against Oberlin and Wooster.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Anybody see the Ohio Northern vs Salisbury score? 24-2 for those who missed it. Goes to show how far these up and coming programs have to go. Also makes it hard to believe OWU beat Salisbury not that long ago.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

The last time they played in 2020 just before COVID shut down their season, the Bishops lost by a similar score (as ONU) to the Gulls, 22-4. Led by their All-American face-off man, Brent Malamphy, Salisbury won 27 of 29 draws. It was a nightmare. The last Bishop victory was in 2018, when the Gulls agreed to come out to Ohio (first time since 1999) and OWU won 12-11 in OT. The Bishops also scored a victory in 2015 by a 9-8 (OT) score in Salisbury. While those two games are among the most notable victories in the Plantholt years, overall the Bishops have a 8-33 lifetime record vs. the Gulls.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Denison is 3-22 all-time versus Salisbury. The Seagulls are a pretty tough opponent for any D3 program.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

JCU used four unanswered goals in the last 18 minutes to beat OWU. Most of the team stats seem fairly even.

https://jcusports.com/sports/mens-lacro ... score/9944
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Another nice win for Oberlin yesterday (beat Otterbein). Are they in the hunt for conference play-offs?
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Cheeseandcrackers wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:58 am Another nice win for Oberlin yesterday (beat Otterbein). Are they in the hunt for conference play-offs?
Absolutely they're in the hunt for the 4 seed ... Witt lost to Otterbein and obviously are having a down year at 0-5 so one can easily see them getting by them for sure. That leaves Wooster. The Scots doubled up Otterbein so they have the horses, but with the unsettled situation there who knows how the team will react in the long term.

So I'm thinking it's shaping up as Wooster fighting Oberlin for the last spot in the conference tournament. In the end though, I just have a feeling Wooster does just enough to take 4th.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Congrats to Wooster Scots and interim Coach Neisler for getting a 14-10 win over Western Connecticut, which was previously unbeaten (4-0). Hope they can put all of the negativity behind them and concentrate on lacrosse with the entire NCAC season in front of them.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Denison loses a heartbreaker to Lynchburg at the Mustang. Get some food, hydrate and rest up boys because tomorrow it’s back to work against another top D3 team. Like I said here earlier, win or lose this weekend, Denison is getting ready for NCAC play and at least after today’s performance they look like the king of the conference still.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Both Denison and OWU got back on track with decisive wins over really good Midwestern teams and have let the NCAC know they are still the teams they will have to beat to play in the league championship.

Denison (4-3) beats 13th ranked John Carroll (6-1) by the score of 11-5. JCU had previously beat Wooster, Wittenberg, OWU, Grove City and Brockport.

OWU improves to 3-3 with a win over Albion (6-2) by the score of 22-12. Albion had beaten Oberlin, Wooster, North Central and Kenyon.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

OldWU wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:42 am One interesting score of note this week is Oberlin beating Hope 12-11. Why is this interesting? Earlier in the week, Hope edges out Illinois Wesleyan, previously ranked #14 in US Lacrosse/Nike Poll and Hope had also beaten Elmhurst, which then defeated DePauw handily, 13-5.

Oberlin is 5-1 heading into conference play. First up is 0-6 Wittenberg (what happened there?). Considering that Wooster is 2-4 with an interim head coach thanks to a mini-scandal, I'd say Oberlin should have a good shot at making it to its first conference tourney. The Yeomen began playing intercollegiate lacrosse in 1948, years before both Denison and OWU.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Oberlin beats Wittenberg 12-9 and looks like they may be the fourth best team in the NCAC after the the first week of conference play. They play Wooster in their final game of the regular season and that could decide who goes to the playoffs, as the Scots had an easy win over Hiram and should improve over the season. Wittenberg's 0-7 record is perplexing to say the least. COVID must have taken a heavy toll on the team, since the roster shows only five seniors and three juniors. While they have started slow before, they have always had good, tough athletes and been more competitive as the season progressed.

Denison, OWU and Kenyon will spend the next month preparing for each other, both in-season and for the playoffs.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Ooof. Denison starts down 7-0 and falls to Grove City 14-10. It's kind of nice to see that young teams like GC and JCU are in some polls or get consideration, but I am also scratching my head wondering how much the conference is down compared to other years. I feel like the NCAC has seldom had more than two teams ranked in the Top 20, and it's also never been anyone other than Denison and OWU (in recent history). When, however, has the conference non had any teams ranked in the Top 20?
grelch

Post by grelch »

I'm a Denison graduate from way back when, so I do like to watch bits of their games from time to time. In no way am I qualified to judge lacrosse teams and players in any authoritative way. I'm a bonafide casual observer. All that said, I watched chunks of the 3 games prior to Grove City and was thoroughly confused by the performances. 20+ goal win over Wabash, but weirdly it didn't look like there was that big a disparity between the 2 schools. Denison made poor unforced errors all game long. Same with the JC game. Denison controlled play but continuously made unforced errors throughout to the point that it felt that JC was going to pull back into the game from the number of turnovers they were getting. They don't look like the Denison of the last 5 or 6 seasons. Bad passing, poor ground balls, poor shooting, trouble clearing etc. I think they need to get back to working on basics and reset. The Kenyon game now looks to be an even tighter one. Will watch with great interest.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”