Towson 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Math1234

Re: Towson 2019

Post by Math1234 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:36 pm Not enough shots on goal also, with that advantage at face off.
Just have the O go through Sunday, he makes the better judgements on offense, sometimes with mistakes, but he’s the best option.
The offense has taken a step back the last two games.
Agree, but we are just not very efficient. Shots 35. Shots on goal 15. You have to make the goalie work. At some point, let's face it. It's talent. We can talk all day that we don't need blue chippers, All-Americans, etc. But we need better shooters. Sovero just doesn't look like he's back yet and we could use him. Had 13 goals last year in limited action but just can't seem to stay healthy. There's more pressure on Maloof to score because Adam McLean is more of a two-way guy and Monahan is well, inconsistent. Good passer though. Didn't get much from Brody Mac and seems like we need a goal or two from the rope unit every game to help the offense. They took the transition game away or we took it away from ourselves by trying to play keep away. Maybe that's due to last week's sloppy performance when we took quick shots but let's get back to a transition game. That's how we became No. 1. We need Koby Smith, Goodrich and Wilkerson to push tempo all day. And geez, we have to do some about those clears. :x
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Duke put Welch an LSM #77, at the face off late in the game. It disrupted things enough to cause a few poor turnovers. Then the turnovers snowballed. If they can work on situational lacrosse w Woodall, when he gets the ball do this etc, Or experiment w a few different people at the wing. With the clearing game they need to have better composure.

Duke scouted Towson on their shooting technique. They did a lot of trail checks. They waited til the shooter wound up, they would check behind them. They have to tighten up their release. It happened 6 times +. 12 yards & in placement & stick protection is at a premium, velocity is 3rd. Shorten up the release.

Great effort, made some mistakes that hurt late in the game!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Math1234 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 pm At some point, let's face it. It's talent. We can talk all day that we don't need blue chippers, All-Americans, etc. But we need better shooters. Sovero just doesn't look like he's back yet and we could use him.
Tigers have plenty of ‘blue chippers’, if that is the question.
Sovero, yes, I’d also add Phil Weiss, he was able to add a stable presence when they really needed it.
Tigers swapped out Ohio State for Cornell. Either way, this would have been a difficult stretch.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:09 pm
Math1234 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 pm At some point, let's face it. It's talent. We can talk all day that we don't need blue chippers, All-Americans, etc. But we need better shooters. Sovero just doesn't look like he's back yet and we could use him.
Tigers have plenty of ‘blue chippers’, if that is the question.
Sovero, yes, I’d also add Phil Weiss, he was able to add a stable presence when they really needed it.
Tigers swapped out Ohio State for Cornell. Either way, this would have been a difficult stretch.
I'm not saying we stink on offense but the elite teams have more skilled players and guys that can break down defenses. We don't have a superstar on midfield. We don't even have a Mike Lynch, who was an underrated player from two seasons ago, who could dodge. I do like Maloof but he's off to a shaky start. Sunday is outstanding. Fromert and Brody are solid and we'd be nowhere without them. But Brody gives the ball up too easily and Fromert is scrappy but undersized. Not super explosive.We need Sovero to step it up but he's never been healthy. I don't get the Wies reference. Stable presence? I thought he was too thin for this level. He had some talent but maybe with time in the weight room. I don't know. He had 8 goals and 7 assists in 15 games. Not great for a starting attackman even in his first season. But he's gone so time to move on.
molo

Post by molo »

Christmas comes in March this year with Towson hosting Denver and Hopkins hosting UVA with the times staggered. The Cornell beatdown was a greater source of concern than the close loss at Duke.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Different subject.
2019 attackman, non committed recruit.
Seems taylor made for the Tigers.
Wonder if they have spoken to this guy or maybe the Tigers have filled their quota for next year.
From St. Paul’s.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/46802

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glnsdeNqTnQ
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

We were right there, for all but the last 1/3 of the final quarter. Towson beat themselves Saturday....when we play a complete game, we have had success.

Turnovers - 25, with 13 caused and 2 due to shot clock. Half a dozen plays made the difference in the outcome....so many of the CTO's were set up by bad decision making.

Canto, after two rough outings, is back to over 55%. Woodall had another great day, winning close to 80% on 16 gbs....a couple of his 4 turnovers were untimely.

Sunday is putting the offense on his back - when it's time for a big play, he has come through. He is accounting for over 25% of goals, assists and total points....the 5 players with double digit points account for over 75% of the teams production. (I thought Ey's first career goal was a beauty - reminded me of Tyler Young. Lynch and Young both had the ability to dodge and finish on-the-run, with either hand.)

Clearing was a hot mess.

I like our odds against Denver at home...
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Nice comparison of Ey and Tyler Young. At least he has that potential as short but strong and speedy middie. Young became a solid offensive contributor late in his career after playing short stick D-Mid. Both Young and Lynch were strong from both sides.
GrimLax

Post by GrimLax »

Big one tomorrow, you don't want to drop 3 in a row. I think there are a lot of favorable matchups for the tigers.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:48 pm Different subject.
2019 attackman, non committed recruit.
Seems taylor made for the Tigers.
Wonder if they have spoken to this guy or maybe the Tigers have filled their quota for next year.
From St. Paul’s.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiting/profile/46802

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=glnsdeNqTnQ
Yo, hands off, he’s ours. Check it again.

We’re building that “played footsie with Air Force” pipeline with Troy following current Soph and former AF recruit Tommy Mott who’s been a gem for us.

Thanks,

Mgt
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That’s a good pick up.
He looks like Brendan Sunday, Sunday took a little time to develop, but he now All American type player.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I hope Lax Sports Network has that Cornell lax alum doing the color for this game tomorrow, he takes a nice non-lax-bro angle to his analysis.
molo

Post by molo »

Don’t be fooled by the relatively mild temp if you’re going to the game today. Right now the wind is blowing about 20 mph. It will feel close to freezing in the stands as the wind whips through the U.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Turnovers, clears. Turnovers on clears. Same story, same result. Last two games given away. Shame defense and Canto played well. It's really tough watching the offense right now. Sunday has the ball under two minutes left with the game tied and throws it over Fromert's head. That was the story of the game. Committed 20 turnovers and had just 23 shots, while Denver had 42 shots. 12-5 in face-offs. Offense has to man up.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The question is, of course, what direction is this team heading ?
Are they the same team, with the same intensity, as the team that took it to Loyola.
The intensity level seems to have leveled off the past three games.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

https://twitter.com/johnhack10/status/1 ... 6840011776
some postgame notes about today's 4th qtr:
-Denver outscored Towson 3-0 in the final quarter.
-Denver won 7 gb's while towson won 4
-Denver had 13 shots. Towson had 5
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

As bad as the Tigers played, they could have, should have won that game, now that said, Denver’s defense really is very good, very good on man to man.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Towson was winning despite all the turnovers early on in the season because they scored on transition. Koby Smith or Goodrich usually being the igniters. Today Smith scored and started a break that was turned over by Brody McLean. At some point, Gilardi is going to have to make a move on attack. Maybe move Monahan to attack, or give Del Bene or Montgomery more time.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

I don't know if it's the same fast break that Math1234 is referring to, but Towson's clear 4v3 break while up 6-4 in the 3rd quarter was a clear turning point to me. Convert that and it's a 3 goal lead in a low scoring game. Instead Towson didn't even get a shot off and hardly even threatened to score thereafter.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

2nd half of the season starts Friday. Tiger are favored to sweep the CAA.....we know what can happen in conference play - take no play for granted.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”