Post by houndace1 »

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

I’ll get back to your post later in the day
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by houndace1 »

On the topic of turnovers, there were some iffy attempts at clearing yesterday. It also doesn’t help that in 18 turnovers yesterday, a third of them were committed by one player. That realllly has to tighten up
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:28 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:41 am Give credit to bucknell because they played extremely hard, and that’s a very dangerous team for the next coming years considering how young they are. Their goalie played fantastic (who would’ve imagined stoning Lindley’s 8 shots including a one on one??) that Connor Davis kid is talented and will get better with years to come. He could be their next Will Sands type of player

Yesterday was not a great looking win but it is a win regardless. Some of the points I noted was that the offensive ball movement was really well and zipped from each player. It looked like a good majority of the offensive sets resulted in good looks which unfortunately the goalie stopped. Bailey broke the record and got hot down the stretch but I have to disagree with laxbro because there were a couple of scraps that the wings won when Bailey could not. This was sams best game as a goalie and he should be the starter for the rest of the season.

Would love to discuss this but I actually didn’t mind Sally’s shot attempt. He was in transition, the defense wasn’t settled and he changed planes on an overhead shot. Obviously the goalie saved it but why are we kind of pegging him for this choice when Razanka also has the green light to shoot? Granted, Payton has scored some goals but why not allow more short sticks to take the chance when they see an opportunity?

The defense played well yesterday and but had some lapses (that’s going to happen to every team)

Last thought is this team showed their mental grit in the 2nd half. They could’ve easily folded or had doubt creep in their minds being down by 3 to start the third but the come from behind win was impressive.

On to army next week. A very very crucial game as they lost to Lehigh last week. An opportunity to pick up a top 20 win and 2nd place in the PL standings.
Agree with most of what you say, but Sallys shot hit the goalie in the chest, easy save, they transition and score a goal in the second bringing the score to 5-4 loyola. Get the offense in score and it is 6-3, who knows we pull away and blow them out.

Shafer 13 saves, awesome

Glaring problems 18 turnovers, shooting percentage was better 32%, but many of the Bucknells goalies saves hit him square in the chest. And Lindley had to hit him 4-5 times in the chest. It wasnt like the goalie was like goalie was made great saves, Lindley just did not bury his shots. He had an off day.

We also crushed them in the GB dept. 42-30, we had that many more opportunities and we didnt

I know we have not had many opportunities with man down D, but that was way too easy... caught ball watching on the crease

I still do not see the greatness of Binney and Davis over Seay and Bateman... Binney has a great shot, but there is more than that on offense.

Lapses on defense, these same lapses occur every game, by the same players... I see Laxmaninamillion is saying, players make the same mistakes week in and week out, while other players watch. It has been said previously it is what you do in practice, but it is what you do in games that counts. Giving up topside, not sliding, nor communicating will be exploited by better teams at crunch time. The same with our same experienced players turning the ball over.

This team can be so much better than it is, we have a solid coaching staff, Toomey has that killer instinct, you can see when he coaches, he is emotional and intense. Watch the body language of our players vs other teams next time you are at a game, it can be very telling. But that comes down to coaching and this team should be 6-1 with the only loss to the juggernaut Maryland and those three losses fall on the coaches.
Seay and Bateman? Seay scored two goals in blowout opening day loss to MD and doesn’t have a point since. Bateman has one assist all year. Binney has 4 G and 1 A since he got some play. Sorry but those two guys have done nothing this year.

Toomey sees those two seniors as guys who aren’t as good as the younger ones. It’s about time. As for Lindsey, 5 TO are a ton but he brings something to the man up that the others didn’t.
Laxmaninamillion

houndace1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:03 pm On the topic of turnovers, there were some iffy attempts at clearing yesterday. It also doesn’t help that in 18 turnovers yesterday, a third of them were committed by one player. That realllly has to tighten up
11 TO in last two wins. Not sure what’s up with Olmsted but he’s got to be better. He’s our best player and needs to pick up his game now. Army Saturday will be a game where TOs will be key.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

:!:
laxbro11 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:25 pm A good win. Good to come from behind and win. Played a strong second half

But there are still some glaring holes.

1. Turnovers. Too many unforced. This will kill us against a good team
2. Close d played welll. Still allowing offensive players getting top side. Nothing good happens when this occurs.

3, Savio played well. He has no help from his wings. It is win it yourself or lose it.

4. Shaffer played well. Seeing the balll

5. Lindley. Needs to finish shots. Should have been an 8-10 goal win.

Bucknell was an average to below average team. We allowed them to think they could compete.
Loyola just not that good. 6 grad students playing against 4 freshman starters for Bucknell. Loyola ball movement is pretty good but athletic teams will just out play them. Loyola may make the Pl tournament but them are not going anywhere. Without grad students they would finish in the bottom of the PL.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:28 pm
houndace1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:41 am Give credit to bucknell because they played extremely hard, and that’s a very dangerous team for the next coming years considering how young they are. Their goalie played fantastic (who would’ve imagined stoning Lindley’s 8 shots including a one on one??) that Connor Davis kid is talented and will get better with years to come. He could be their next Will Sands type of player

Yesterday was not a great looking win but it is a win regardless. Some of the points I noted was that the offensive ball movement was really well and zipped from each player. It looked like a good majority of the offensive sets resulted in good looks which unfortunately the goalie stopped. Bailey broke the record and got hot down the stretch but I have to disagree with laxbro because there were a couple of scraps that the wings won when Bailey could not. This was sams best game as a goalie and he should be the starter for the rest of the season.

Would love to discuss this but I actually didn’t mind Sally’s shot attempt. He was in transition, the defense wasn’t settled and he changed planes on an overhead shot. Obviously the goalie saved it but why are we kind of pegging him for this choice when Razanka also has the green light to shoot? Granted, Payton has scored some goals but why not allow more short sticks to take the chance when they see an opportunity?

The defense played well yesterday and but had some lapses (that’s going to happen to every team)

Last thought is this team showed their mental grit in the 2nd half. They could’ve easily folded or had doubt creep in their minds being down by 3 to start the third but the come from behind win was impressive.

On to army next week. A very very crucial game as they lost to Lehigh last week. An opportunity to pick up a top 20 win and 2nd place in the PL standings.
Agree with most of what you say, but Sallys shot hit the goalie in the chest, easy save, they transition and score a goal in the second bringing the score to 5-4 loyola. Get the offense in score and it is 6-3, who knows we pull away and blow them out.
Back around 2010 or so when Loyola adopted the run-and-gun style of play with an emphasis on transition scoring and early offense, I read a great interview with Toomey where he talked about the agony of having to bite his lip when watching his rope unit race down the field and promptly throw the ball out of bounds after having just played 3 minutes of defense. It's the price you pay when you play fast. It's awesome when it works out, but it never gets easy to endure when it doesn't. If Sally had canned that shot, Ridley would have erupted and it could have been a huge spark. That said, when he took that shot, I cringed and said to the person next to me, we just played a TON of defense, and this goalie is pretty hot; I really wish he hadn't taken that shot.

I'm not going to beat up Sally. He is young, and is new to the program, and he has improved a lot just over the course of this season. In 2 years, he could be our next Rezanka.

As for the game overall, here are a few of my thoughts:
  • It was great to finally see a strong second half!
  • Sam played great! This game reminded me that it's nearly impossible to have a fast break if your goalie doesn't make saves. Sam had some fantastic outlet passes after clean saves. Loved seeing this, even if we didn't can most of those transition opportunities.
  • Congrats to Bailey for his GB record!
  • I raced home from the game because I couldn't wait to see the replay of Lindley's 6 SOGs that failed to find net. Watching live, it looked like some Harry potter stuff going on.
  • This was Higgins' coming out party. I loved it.
  • Bucknell's defense did an impressive job of getting their sticks in the passing lanes and denying passes to the inside. Our response in the second half was to shoot on the run while sweeping across the field (both Higgins and Poitras). Ordinarily, I'd be less excited about unassisted goals, but it was the perfect answer to Bucknell's defense.
  • Rezanka is CT machine! He seems to get better every week.
  • Like Hopkins, Bucknell really struggled to clear against our ride. I'm not sure what we're doing differently, but it is working.
  • We really need to clean up the uncaused turnovers. Nuff said.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Turnandrake wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:35 pm
Loyola just not that good. 6 grad students playing against 4 freshman starters for Bucknell. Loyola ball movement is pretty good but athletic teams will just out play them. Loyola may make the Pl tournament but them are not going anywhere. Without grad students they would finish in the bottom of the PL.
Apologies in advance because I usually ignore this kind of drivel, but I can't help noting that the scintillating analysis above comes from the same analytical genius who posted the following insightful exposition in advance of yesterday's game. To his credit, he does seem to be good at math.
Turnandrake wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:44 pm 2-4 team vs 6-1 team
Turnandrake, thank you for your valuable prophesy that Loyola may make the PL tournament. (The careful reader might note that Loyola has never missed the PL tournament.) We are very grateful for our graduate students, who will prevent us from finishing at the bottom of the PL. Whew! :geek:

I anxiously look forward to your next pearls of lacrosse wisdom.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:27 pm
Turnandrake wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:35 pm
Apologies in advance because I usually ignore this kind of drivel, but I can't help noting that the scintillating analysis above comes from the same analytical genius who posted the following insightful exposition in advance of yesterday's game. To his credit, he does seem to be good at math.
Turnandrake wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:44 pm 2-4 team vs 6-1 team
Turnandrake, thank you for your valuable prophesy that Loyola may make the PL tournament. (The careful reader might note that Loyola has never missed the PL tournament.) We are very grateful for our graduate students, who will prevent us from finishing at the bottom of the PL. Whew! :geek:

I anxiously look forward to your next pearls of lacrosse wisdom.
Yeah...it’s a good thing Duke isn’t athletic and loaded with elite talent...man if only we could beat an athletic team like Duke. Oh wait....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Loyola made great adjustments to the one sided Bucknell clear and dominated GB’s after midway through the 3rd when they were down 8-5. That allowed them to dominate the ball from then on out. I thought Bucknell’s length on D would give Loyola problems. Loyola scored 3 of their first 5 goals on step downs in slow transition situations. Loyola did nothing in the first half 6 on 6. They looked like they were in trouble. I thought Bucknell would win if Loyola could not run in 2nd half. The reason Loyola was able to overcome Lindley’s unbelievable tough day was that mids 24 and 51 stepped up as dodgers, and started wearing down Bucknell’s SSDM’s and forced slides. When Bucknell did have the ball in the 2nd half, Loyola played much better D on the mids and the Loyola close D handled the Bucknell Attack all day. Army will be a tough test for the hounds, but they definitely may have found some answers going forward from the O mid spots. They will need dodgers from the midfield, to beat the top tier teams.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Voyuer wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:05 pm Loyola made great adjustments to the one sided Bucknell clear and dominated GB’s after midway through the 3rd when they were down 8-5. That allowed them to dominate the ball from then on out. I thought Bucknell’s length on D would give Loyola problems. Loyola scored 3 of their first 5 goals on step downs in slow transition situations. Loyola did nothing in the first half 6 on 6. They looked like they were in trouble. I thought Bucknell would win if Loyola could not run in 2nd half. The reason Loyola was able to overcome Lindley’s unbelievable tough day was that mids 24 and 51 stepped up as dodgers, and started wearing down Bucknell’s SSDM’s and forced slides. When Bucknell did have the ball in the 2nd half, Loyola played much better D on the mids and the Loyola close D handled the Bucknell Attack all day. Army will be a tough test for the hounds, but they definitely may have found some answers going forward from the O mid spots. They will need dodgers from the midfield, to beat the top tier teams.

I wrote earlier this year that I thought Higgins is our best initiating dodge from up top. He’s got great quickness. I think if we want to initiate from there, it behooves the coaches to utilize him more and more.

Kevin Lindley has had such a great career that one game of an 0-fer isn’t something to think twice about. He’ll recover and be hungrier next game out…I’m expecting him to have a huge day against Army.

The Hounds are blessed by the gods this year. Our four toughest in-conference opponents, we get all home games. Bucknell, Army, BU, and Lehigh They will be very tough but at least we are home. And of course Navy, which is away, and no gimme.

One game at a time right now. Army is up. Army almost beat Lehigh even though Sisselberger went off at nearly 70% at FO. They are clearly doing many things very well. Going to be a tough game and everyone will need to bring it on Saturday.

LFG!!!!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

I thought Saturday was way closer to being a complete runaway than a nail biter. The Hounds got A+ looks throughout and hat off to O'Halloran from Bucknell for making a ton of great saves. Hopefully Shafer uses that second half to find some consistency as teams aren't really getting good looks (aside from the Maryland game, but they're a Death Star on offense) in the 6v6. With good goalkeeping they can lock teams down.

Rezanka is absolutely in the running for first team all-America at SSDM. He won't get it because he's not going to be on ESPN broadcasts where they spend the whole two hours lobbying for awards but he's absolutely as good as anyone. The CT number he has right now is silly for a short stick.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:16 pm
Voyuer wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:05 pm Loyola made great adjustments to the one sided Bucknell clear and dominated GB’s after midway through the 3rd when they were down 8-5. That allowed them to dominate the ball from then on out. I thought Bucknell’s length on D would give Loyola problems. Loyola scored 3 of their first 5 goals on step downs in slow transition situations. Loyola did nothing in the first half 6 on 6. They looked like they were in trouble. I thought Bucknell would win if Loyola could not run in 2nd half. The reason Loyola was able to overcome Lindley’s unbelievable tough day was that mids 24 and 51 stepped up as dodgers, and started wearing down Bucknell’s SSDM’s and forced slides. When Bucknell did have the ball in the 2nd half, Loyola played much better D on the mids and the Loyola close D handled the Bucknell Attack all day. Army will be a tough test for the hounds, but they definitely may have found some answers going forward from the O mid spots. They will need dodgers from the midfield, to beat the top tier teams.

I wrote earlier this year that I thought Higgins is our best initiating dodge from up top. He’s got great quickness. I think if we want to initiate from there, it behooves the coaches to utilize him more and more.

Kevin Lindley has had such a great career that one game of an 0-fer isn’t something to think twice about. He’ll recover and be hungrier next game out…I’m expecting him to have a huge day against Army.

The Hounds are blessed by the gods this year. Our four toughest in-conference opponents, we get all home games. Bucknell, Army, BU, and Lehigh They will be very tough but at least we are home. And of course Navy, which is away, and no gimme.

One game at a time right now. Army is up. Army almost beat Lehigh even though Sisselberger went off at nearly 70% at FO. They are clearly doing many things very well. Going to be a tough game and everyone will need to bring it on Saturday.

LFG!!!!
Kamish makes people look silly when he dodges from the top. He’s not even fully healthy yet...

Sometimes when guys just do their jobs with consistency and production, nobody talks about them...I think about the trio of Kamish, James, and Poitras. Guys just grinding and doing their jobs...love those three on this team

Higgins to me fits right in with those guys. Guys that are working hard to produce and get better

Go hounds
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:02 pm I thought Saturday was way closer to being a complete runaway than a nail biter. The Hounds got A+ looks throughout and hat off to O'Halloran from Bucknell for making a ton of great saves. Hopefully Shafer uses that second half to find some consistency as teams aren't really getting good looks (aside from the Maryland game, but they're a Death Star on offense) in the 6v6. With good goalkeeping they can lock teams down.

Rezanka is absolutely in the running for first team all-America at SSDM. He won't get it because he's not going to be on ESPN broadcasts where they spend the whole two hours lobbying for awards but he's absolutely as good as anyone. The CT number he has right now is silly for a short stick.
Agree with this post. That’s it 😄
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

Not much talk about Army this Saturday

We will have to play a near perfect game. Cannot have the turn overs that we had last week. For every point Olmstead had he had two turnovers. Army will take advantage

Defense will have to be more aggressive. Cannot give up the middle and we will have to slide hard.

Bucknell was a league win. But no one saw it as a good win as we dropped out of the top 20
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

loyola2025 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:38 am Not much talk about Army this Saturday

We will have to play a near perfect game. Cannot have the turn overs that we had last week. For every point Olmstead had he had two turnovers. Army will take advantage

Defense will have to be more aggressive. Cannot give up the middle and we will have to slide hard.

Bucknell was a league win. But no one saw it as a good win as we dropped out of the top 20

One thing is, BU losing to Harvard hurts the PL’s SOS, meaning the Hounds really have only one path to the NCAA. Got to win every single game. Start with Army.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:29 am
loyola2025 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:38 am Not much talk about Army this Saturday

One thing is, BU losing to Harvard hurts the PL’s SOS, meaning the Hounds really have only one path to the NCAA. Got to win every single game. Start with Army.
every patriot league ooc loss hurts exactly the same. it would be better for loyola (or any patriot league team) for fellow pl teams to stop losing ooc games.
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:46 am

every patriot league ooc loss hurts exactly the same. it would be better for loyola (or any patriot league team) for fellow pl teams to stop losing ooc games.
The problem is that we will lose to Georgetown. And is questionable that we can beat army bu and Len high

A lot of posters bearing their chests after a bucknell win. Bucknell is not good. A game we should have won by 10 plus.

Olmstead as stated needs to stop the turnovers. We have 6 grad student players that are not playing that way. That is coaching. Theft are not getting the most of their players. Or they do not have the right players playing.

Out of 7 games. We played one good one against duke. If that game was 3 minutes longer we would have lost. Watch the game again and you will see how we fell apart in the fourth.

And as long as we keep doing the same things. We will not win the patriot league.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i saw the 2nd half of loyola/duke. as ooc season winds down, it's likely only bu has a shot at an at large, and that's only if they keep going as is w/l.
maybe army and loyola have de minimis outside shots because of their ooc strength of schedule, but any of the 3 would have to run roughshod over the rest of their schedule prior to pl tourney and get help.
best case is playing best ball by conference tourney time.
Laxmaninamillion

[quote=Loyolalax

The problem is that we will lose to Georgetown. And is questionable that we can beat army bu and Len high

A lot of posters bearing their chests after a bucknell win. Bucknell is not good. A game we should have won by 10 plus.

Olmstead as stated needs to stop the turnovers. We have 6 grad student players that are not playing that way. That is coaching. Theft are not getting the most of their players. Or they do not have the right players playing.

Out of 7 games. We played one good one against duke. If that game was 3 minutes longer we would have lost. Watch the game again and you will see how we fell apart in the fourth.

And as long as we keep doing the same things. We will not win the patriot league.
[/quote]

Agree wholeheartedly. They finally let Binney play and he has more goals than the rest of the non-1st line middies combined. Maybe some of these younger guys will produce if given the opportunity.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Loyolalax wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:40 am
wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:46 am

I think that's way too negative an outlook. They dominated the 6v6 aside from goalkeeping against Bucknell. When the goalkeeping swung in the second half they went on an 8-1 run (and the one was man down).

Duke they stopped playing offense and again the goalkeeping let them down a bit down the stretch of that one. They'll hopefully learn from that and keep going in the future.

Not saying it has been perfect but my outlook is if Shafer stays above 50% they'll be really hard to beat in the PL. They're figuring it out. The arrow is pointing up.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”