Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
tothedraw

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by tothedraw »

What makes it obnoxious ?
I see it as commentary on the lack of interest in a historic men's lacrosse match up that used to be wildly attended.
Am I miss something ?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:02 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:48 pm Cherry picking
With this said, 6,000 fans is a lot...
Indeed it is. I was very surprised at the number, and for a regular season game to boot.
If the stars align, maybe they'll face each other in the C'ship Finals and then no telling what the numbers will be.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Bart

Post by Bart »

tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:11 pm What makes it obnoxious ?
I see it as commentary on the lack of interest in a historic men's lacrosse match up that used to be wildly attended.
Am I miss something ?
Nope. I think you’re spot on
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:11 pm What makes it obnoxious ? I see it as commentary on the lack of interest in a historic men's lacrosse match up that used to be wildly attended. Am I miss something ?
It's the comparing apples to oranges part that's obnoxious. Comparing the Women's Regular Season Game-of-the-Year on a Sunday to a Friday Relatively-Meaningless-Game when... The appropriate comparison game to BC-UNC is obviously UVA-UMD... which had great numbers. The post-er has an obvious agenda and is being intellectually dishonest and... It's obnoxious. At least from where I'm sitting.
Caddy Day
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Bart wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:15 pm
Am I miss something ?
Missing something....oops.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Am I miss something ?
If that was true, they'd compare Navy-JHU today to Navy-JHU 10 or 20 or whatever years ago. They're comparing a men's game to a women's game.
Caddy Day
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:17 pm
tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:11 pm What makes it obnoxious ? I see it as commentary on the lack of interest in a historic men's lacrosse match up that used to be wildly attended. Am I miss something ?
It's the comparing apples to oranges part that's obnoxious. Comparing the Women's Regular Season Game-of-the-Year on a Sunday to a Friday Relatively-Meaningless-Game when... The appropriate comparison game to BC-UNC is obviously UVA-UMD... which had great numbers. The post-er has an obvious agenda and is being intellectually dishonest and... It's obnoxious. At least from where I'm sitting.
From my vantage point as well.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:18 pm
Am I miss something ?
If that was true, they'd compare Navy-JHU today to Navy-JHU 10 or 20 or whatever years ago. They're comparing a men's game to a women's game.
His wife is a Women's college coach, he's a high school girls coach, he has a daughter who plays. Maybe he's also pumped about the interest in a regular season women's game. Like a lookey here the women's game is making a statement.

I just don't see the obnoxiousness in it. Then again that's why Twitter is a dumpster fire, who knows the intent behind anyone's tweet/retweet half the time 🤷

The lack of interest in Hopkins lacrosse on that campus and with recruits is a big deal to Hop faithful. And Navy/Hopkins is never meaningless to those fan bases.
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:31 pm His wife is a Women's college coach, he's a high school girls coach, he has a daughter who plays. Maybe he's also pumped about the interest in a regular season women's game. Like a lookey here the women's game is making a statement.
He could have accomplished that without cherry picking to give a false impression of the popularity of the women’s game as opposed to the men’s, which Matnum already explained quite thoroughly. It’s a deceptive manipulation of the numbers to make a point—which is always obnoxious.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:43 pm
tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:31 pm His wife is a Women's college coach, he's a high school girls coach, he has a daughter who plays. Maybe he's also pumped about the interest in a regular season women's game. Like a lookey here the women's game is making a statement.
He could have accomplished that without cherry picking to give a false impression of the popularity of the women’s game as opposed to the men’s, which Matnum already explained quite thoroughly. It’s a deceptive manipulation of the numbers to make a point—which is always obnoxious.
That is your perspective. I am fully within my right to have a different one despite being "explained quite thoroughly". Your added condescension was a bonus though !
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:46 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:43 pm
That is your perspective. I am fully within my right to have a different one despite being "explained quite thoroughly". Your added condescension was a bonus though !
No condescension intended. It was more a compliment to Matnum.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

See how assigning intent to a few sentences is incredibly subjective ? Your response to my comments also cherry picked what I said.
I'm not sure how to explain to you more thoroughly that poor attendance to a Hopkins rivalry game also played on a weekend is a BIG freaking deal to a lot of older lacrosse fans and maybe just maybe that was his point. The game and fan bases are evolving.
I felt the condescension came in when I am told it's been thoroughly explained to me- like I'm a child -and there is no other view than it is a deceptive and obnoxious tweet.
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:30 pm See how assigning intent to a few sentences is incredibly subjective ? Your response to my comments also cherry picked what I said.
I'm not sure how to explain to you more thoroughly that poor attendance to a Hopkins rivalry game also played on a weekend is a BIG freaking deal to a lot of older lacrosse fans and maybe just maybe that was his point. The game and fan bases are evolving.
I felt the condescension came in when I am told it's been thoroughly explained to me- like I'm a child -and there is no other view than it is a deceptive and obnoxious tweet.
I chose to address one aspect of the issue which is that the original tweet was deceptive in that it cherry picked two incongruous attendance numbers to make a point. If the original tweeter was being honest and thorough, they would not have tried to make attendance at two different games the defining point. That’s all I’m saying. And you’re right, I could have worded it a little more sensitively. But just to clarify, I meant no condescension.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:30 pm...poor attendance to a Hopkins rivalry game also played on a weekend is a BIG freaking deal to a lot of older lacrosse fans...
7 PM on a Friday. You're right. It's officially a weekend game. Definitely not being played during work hours. I don't really have a dog in this fight but, admittedly, I'm bothered by people veiling or manipulating the truth. And, with this said, I hear you. Maybe not as obnoxious as I'm seeing it as.
Caddy Day
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Another way to look at this is: BC v UNC game only filed 13% of BC's Alumni stadium seating capacity, while the Hopkins v Navy game at Homewood field filled 17% of the seats. Numbers, numbers, numbers :)
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:00 pm
Justalaxdad wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:30 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:48 am The goaltender, Kara Rahaim for Stanford is up for player of the week with her terrific 19 saves against USC. Though it was a great performance, it's interesting to compare it to some of the great performances from the past.

With almost 100% certainty, I would say those are not accurate stats. 39 saves in a game is a big stretch. Even today, goalie stats are usually not accurate. Some team statisticians count pipe shots as saves, flat out misses are sometimes counted as saves, etc. Watched a game last week between SDSU and Princeton and they were handing out saves like they were from a Pez Dispenser. One that comes to mind was ground ball turnover that a defender rolled to the goalie and they gave her a save. Not saying those goalies didn't play well but goalie stats can often be misleading. Watched a game this past weekend where a goalie made a save, they reset the clock to 60 and the goalie wasn't credited with the save. It's a shame because these goalies are judged on their stats that are often incorrect.

DISCLAIMER - This comment has NOTHING to do with Rahaim's great game...I haven't watched it, so I wouldn't comment on it. I'm commenting more on the historical games that were posted.
I fully agree that women’s lacrosse needs more professional coverage – from TV all the way to the statistician, there is room for great improvement.
I've seen stats recorded by anyone from a paid assistant coach, to a member of the athletic department, to a paid student manager, to a student doing a work study (depending the program and funding). It's definitely not always someone with the same level of familiarity with the game - which is unfortunate and can create inconsistencies. I have seen more meticulous statistics kept in Little League district tournaments.
DMac

Post by DMac »

tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:31 pm
Am I miss something ?
His wife is a Women's college coach, he's a high school girls coach, he has a daughter who plays. Maybe he's also pumped about the interest in a regular season women's game. Like a lookey here the women's game is making a statement.

I just don't see the obnoxiousness in it. Then again that's why Twitter is a dumpster fire, who knows the intent behind anyone's tweet/retweet half the time 🤷

The lack of interest in Hopkins lacrosse on that campus and with recruits is a big deal to Hop faithful. And Navy/Hopkins is never meaningless to those fan bases.
Completely agree here, don't find it the least bit obnoxious, just a person excited about a real nice attendance for a wlax game.
Some attendance numbers of past Hop-Navy games:
'03 at Hop, 3,280
'04 at Navy, 18,694...makes that 3,280 look rather tiny, eh?
'05 at Hop, 6,308
'06 at Navy, 13,857
'07 at Hop, 6,856
'08 at Navy, 16,042
'09 at Hop, 6,925
'10 at Navy, 10,128
'11 at Hop, 4,682
'12 at Navy, 11,917....lookin' like Navy is the place to go see a Hop-Navy game.
'13 at Hop, 3,640
'14 at Navy, 8,655
'15 at Hop 1,484
'16 at Navy 665...no idea what was going on here.
'17 at Hop 1,379
No games '18-'21
'22 at Hop 1,576
See no problem with using this match up to feel good about a 6K attendance for a wlax game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:05 pm
tothedraw wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:31 pm
Am I miss something ?

Completely agree here, don't find it the least bit obnoxious, just a person excited about a real nice attendance for a wlax game.
Some attendance numbers of past Hop-Navy games:
'03 at Hop, 3,280
'04 at Navy, 18,694...makes that 3,280 look rather tiny, eh?
'05 at Hop, 6,308
'06 at Navy, 13,857
'07 at Hop, 6,856
'08 at Navy, 16,042
'09 at Hop, 6,925
'10 at Navy, 10,128
'11 at Hop, 4,682
'12 at Navy, 11,917....lookin' like Navy is the place to go see a Hop-Navy game.
'13 at Hop, 3,640
'14 at Navy, 8,655
'15 at Hop 1,484
'16 at Navy 665...no idea what was going on here.
'17 at Hop 1,379
No games '18-'21
'22 at Hop 1,576
See no problem with using this match up to feel good about a 6K attendance for a wlax game.
It’s still deceptive cherry picking however. Whether or not Hop is experiencing a change in attendance is irrelevant to the original tweet which was that women are drawing more than men. The Maryland/Virginia game was the more appropriate attendance to point to.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I didn't think he was comparing attendance rates for men's and women's games straight up, I honestly think it was a comment on Hopkins Lacrosse and that a Women's game the same weekend had double the attendance. If I was a Hopkins Men's diehard fan I may think that is obnoxious 😂 My view also eliminates the manipulation/deception angle. Keep in mind Reese played for MD '95-'98. I can't imagine he has much love for the Blue Jays.

Matnum, have no dog in the fight either and understood what you were saying - from your view.

TNLAX- there's always a different way to look at things!
DMac

Post by DMac »

I didn't read it as saying wlax is drawing more attendance than mlax.
Just using an example of two established mlax programs with a long
history as a comparison...think some are overthinking this.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”