Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: UNC at Boston College

Post by seacoaster »

laxer12 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:47 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:46 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:52 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:20 pm I think way too much significance is being put on this game coming up. So what if Carolina ends up spanking Boston College in their own backyard. They embarrassed BC in Carolina last year in the regular season. But when it came to the real game in the NCAA semifinal, Carolina couldn’t repeat the performance. Regular season clashes are largely insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

As to how the game will go – I make no predictions. But a blowout either way or a tight game either way with either team winning won’t surprise me.
I might be wrong, but I think people are just excited for some good lacrosse. I don't think anyone has forgotten how the different the two games were between them last year and don't think anyone will be quick to crown either team based on the result of this game. Neither team has swept the other since 2017.
One thing about this game, we all know: When they played early'ish last year, BC wasn't a champion, and no one expected the game to be really good or competitive. The hype comes from BC stepping in and denying UNC the championship trophy many of us -- me included -- had expected UNC kids to carry away.

I understand what you are saying -- "Regular season clashes are largely insignificant in the grand scheme of things" -- and I think that is true -- to you and me! To the athletes competing, I think it is very important. Sure, they have a chance to go at it later in the year when real chips are on the line. But the game is crucial to the athletes' respective competitive spirits, and to the coaching staffs' respective evaluations of matchups, defenses, offensive sets and myriad other things. It is hard to come into a game in, say, a conference final or national quarterfinal, and try to reverse an absolute thumping from earlier in the year.

For example (and respectfully), I think Loyola's QF game against Syracuse might have been more competitive if the meeting in the first game of the year wasn't a Syracuse win by a good margin. Loyola was without Fiedler; but Syracuse was without EH and Carney. A closer first game might have made the QF game closer.

Anyway, just a thought. Personally cannot wait for this game.
It wasn't the quarterfinal where Cuse and Loyola met; it was the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
OK.
Lax101

Re: Boston College

Post by Lax101 »

I agree with seascoaster. The hype is deserved and people can't wait to see these 2 powerhouses collide for what may be the first of 3 meetings this year. The hype is extra high because BC took down what was thought to be one of the best teams in Lax history, a team that was anointed Natty Champs week 1 of last year before even playing a game. Nobody thought they were beatable. BC now comes in with a team that is largely the same as last year but now a team that does not fear UNC. In fact they think they are better. UNC thinks they are better and come in wanting revenge even if it is March. UNC comes in with what most people think is the stronger roster top to bottom just like last year - but is it? IMO it will be a close game that will come down to defenses and goal keeping.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Not a very impressive showing against NC yesterday. I thought the gameplan on offense too often relied on North. 4 goals, 1 assist and 7 draw controls isn't a dismal showing but this was an off game for #8. She forced it too often. She made a high pass to M. Hasselbeck at one point which resulted in a turnover. The whole team wasn't gelling consistently. It will be interesting to see how they rebound. They can build from this loss the way they did last year, or the flaws uncovered yesterday will continue to be an Achilles heel the rest of the way when they play equal or superior teams. As soon as they start getting away from team focus and continue focusing too often on one player, they don't put themselves in the best position to win. Still a lot of lacrosse to be played between now and May. We'll see how it all sifts out.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:24 am Not a very impressive showing against NC yesterday. I thought the gameplan on offense too often relied on North. 4 goals, 1 assist and 7 draw controls isn't a dismal showing but this was an off game for #8. She forced it too often. She made a high pass to M. Hasselbeck at one point which resulted in a turnover. The whole team wasn't gelling consistently. It will be interesting to see how they rebound. They can build from this loss the way they did last year, or the flaws uncovered yesterday will continue to be an Achilles heel the rest of the way when they play equal or superior teams. As soon as they start getting away from team focus and continue focusing too often on one player, they don't put themselves in the best position to win. Still a lot of lacrosse to be played between now and May. We'll see how it all sifts out.
this is the curse of having a super star, versus a team of stars. Too much reliance on #8. I am not saying it is conscious, just that it exists.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:35 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:24 am Not a very impressive showing against NC yesterday. I thought the gameplan on offense too often relied on North. 4 goals, 1 assist and 7 draw controls isn't a dismal showing but this was an off game for #8. She forced it too often. She made a high pass to M. Hasselbeck at one point which resulted in a turnover. The whole team wasn't gelling consistently. It will be interesting to see how they rebound. They can build from this loss the way they did last year, or the flaws uncovered yesterday will continue to be an Achilles heel the rest of the way when they play equal or superior teams. As soon as they start getting away from team focus and continue focusing too often on one player, they don't put themselves in the best position to win. Still a lot of lacrosse to be played between now and May. We'll see how it all sifts out.
this is the curse of having a super star, versus a team of stars. Too much reliance on #8. I am not saying it is conscious, just that it exists.
North had Emma T on her and very occasionally sent a slide. A little more heavily in 4th quarter. I would have sent double every time . Ortega meanwhile was doubled and sometimes tripled when she started to make moves. Knowing players are then opened she worked to move ball around to players not heavily marked - Andie A and Sam G. This was a true team effort win and an unselfish game by UNCs star. People who only see the stats of this game prob won’t get that. Also, is it me if do refs pretty much let North do whatever she wants ?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:15 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:35 am
North had Emma T on her and very occasionally sent a slide. A little more heavily in 4th quarter. I would have sent double every time . Ortega meanwhile was doubled and sometimes tripled when she started to make moves. Knowing players are then opened she worked to move ball around to players not heavily marked - Andie A and Sam G. This was a true team effort win and an unselfish game by UNCs star. People who only see the stats of this game prob won’t get that. Also, is it me if do refs pretty much let North do whatever she wants ?
great insight - box score never tells the whole story.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:15 am . Also, is it me if do refs pretty much let North do whatever she wants ?
yes...Especially Larry. She is a bull in the china shop...because of slides and doubles, she ends up charging alot. They just dont call it.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:55 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:15 am . Also, is it me if do refs pretty much let North do whatever she wants ?
yes...Especially Larry. She is a bull in the china shop...because of slides and doubles, she ends up charging alot. They just dont call it.
She had three charges yesterday and NONE of them are called. If it's not a charge, it's definitely forcing through.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:58 am
She had three charges yesterday and NONE of them are called. If it's not a charge, it's definitely forcing through.
+1
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:02 am
+1
Agreed (both posts).
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

How often do you see a charge called on anyone in college? Once every 10 games, maybe?
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

The last two definitely should've been charges. I've seen multiple, repeated instances of players getting called for charging for WAY less contact and forcing through than what North did yesterday. Emily Hawrsychuk (although sometimes the calls are legit) is someone I think gets a lot of charge calls against her due solely to her physically imposing stature.

A lot of the time, two defenders collapsing in on an attacker will stick their legs and bodies out at the last second (along with their sticks which is cross-checking) in front of or on an advancing offensive player, resulting in all of the players falling over one another. This really should be called as a block, not a charge but is very often not the case.
Last edited by laxer12 on Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:15 am
How often do you see a charge called on anyone in college? Once every 10 games, maybe?
I see a charge called way more frequently than that. In fact, almost every game I've watched this season, there has been a charge called.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Ive actually seen quite a few this year , cuse, Florida…
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:42 am
Ive actually seen quite a few this year , cuse, Florida…
Yep, agreed; I have seen quite a few this year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

EH has been called multiple times and I think the right calls too.
Pretty sure MT has been called at least once too. I've seen quite
a few charge calls this year. I think the diminutive bop bag, #15
Natalie Smith has been called for one too (that gal is on and off
the ground a lot in a game...tough little cookie).
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:51 am EH has been called multiple times and I think the right calls too.
lol when has Meaghan Tyrrell been called for a charge this season?
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

How many times did CN get called for a charge yesterday? Anyone have that number? One of the things that I pointed out to WITW and NJbill, is one of the times CN beat Trenchard and got crosse checked in her back and pushed into Brooklyn Walker-Welch. Three players are on the ground...and no call! WHAT? I don't care how many of you don't like CN, but Trenchard got "shook" and fouled CN in frustration. Too bad, but that foul should have been called and CN should have gotten an 8m Free.
She's no more of a "Bull in a China Shop" than any of the other Power players I have seen in this game over the years. Izzy Scane(NU) is a PP, Belle Mastropietro(Temple University) is a PP. It's a style of play and there's nothing wrong with it or illegal about it. Everyone can't play this style, but I named 2 people along with CN who do it well.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxer12 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:13 am
DMac wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:51 am EH has been called multiple times and I think the right calls too.
I don't know for certain that she has but I do think she has.
Sure could be wrong about that though.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:16 am
laxer12 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:13 am
I don't know for certain that she has but I do think she has.
Sure could be wrong about that though.
I've watched every Cuse game this season (except the Virginia one obviously) and I can assure you she has not been called for an offensive charge. I can tell you that Megan Carney has though -- more than once. The most recent example being in the Florida game.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”