Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by The Orfling »

Very rough weekend for the Jays. Hard to compute that the same team that beat Loyola, Jacksonville and Syracuse loses to two unranked (but good) teams in the same weekend. Have teams figured something out or is this just the up and downs of a season and Navy and Delaware are within the margin of error — top 25 teams beating a top 15\20 team?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Shoving passes inside where it’s crowded and you don’t have any classic Canadian style players is just foolish. How many turnovers have we seen with the Blue Jays trying to force the ball inside? Absolutely exemplary case of trying to play a style that does not fit your personnel.

Why not work the ball to get time-and-room shots from the wings … you know, what these Blue Jays do best?

This will, unfortunately, go down as one of the most disastrous weekends in Hopkins lacrosse history. A 53-year winning steak goes down in flames on Friday, and Delaware gets its first official win ever against the Blue Jays.

Appreciate the effort, but two close losses in such a crucial weekend … and now you have to win the AQ in a loaded B1G conference?

And I agree with the scheduling … imprudent, to be charitable.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:08 pm The stuff about wanting the D to not run down field after scores is one of the most inane things I've ever seen on this board. Just stop. On the list of top 100 problems with this team, this is #5849902873920.
no one is saying it's a major problem, but you'd think that two days after playing a very physical one-goal game they'd want to keep legs as fresh as possible. delaware came into tonight on 9 days rest
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

It’s one thing to schedule the toughest slog, but another thing entirely when you have middling talent and are outcoached on a consistent basis.

The refs tried their best to give Hop the game in the third quarter, but Jays EMO was laughable.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:09 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:06 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:04 pm Grant Jrs seat is officially hot and Milliman isn't far behind.
your mom's seat is hot
I left out Jen Baker and Daniels. Excuse me and whatever the heck ventura partners is.
https://huntscanlon.com/ventura-partner ... ch-search/
you heard it here first, folks. fanlax poster jhu06 is putting president ron daniels on the hot seat
This roster needs a starting goalie, 3 d1 caliber attackmen, 5-7 starting midfielders, a fogo, 2-3 defensemen and a decent backup goalie for next year and it's make the ncaas and win a tournament game next year or Baker and her handpicked coaching staff are toast. No one cares about cross country championships or if womens basketball players are ncaa scholars.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:16 pm it's make the ncaas and win a tournament game next year or Baker and her handpicked coaching staff are toast
How do you post stuff like this and not get embarrassed
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:15 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:08 pm The stuff about wanting the D to not run down field after scores is one of the most inane things I've ever seen on this board. Just stop. On the list of top 100 problems with this team, this is #5849902873920.
no one is saying it's a major problem, but you'd think that two days after playing a very physical one-goal game they'd want to keep legs as fresh as possible. delaware came into tonight on 9 days rest
Its silly. It has absolutely zero to do with "fresh legs".
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Hoponboard wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:02 pm What a disastrous weekend. Milliman’s scheduling has basically killed the Jays’ season. Terps own the AQ. Start playing for next season and see if any of the freshmen beyond Callahan can play.
PM is playing with house money. It is justification for the ousting of DP. Face it, DP lost the early recruiting gamble and then some trying to recover from it.

If we could revive lax power, it was discussed in quite detail how this was going to happen.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:14 pm Very rough weekend for the Jays. Hard to compute that the same team that beat Loyola, Jacksonville and Syracuse loses to two unranked (but good) teams in the same weekend. Have teams figured something out or is this just the up and downs of a season and Navy and Delaware are within the margin of error — top 25 teams beating a top 15\20 team?
Three games in 8 days is always risky. But three games in 8 days after playing the toughest early schedule in the country? That’s just setting up your team for failure.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:16 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:13 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:09 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:06 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:04 pm Grant Jrs seat is officially hot and Milliman isn't far behind.
your mom's seat is hot
I left out Jen Baker and Daniels. Excuse me and whatever the heck ventura partners is.
https://huntscanlon.com/ventura-partner ... ch-search/
you heard it here first, folks. fanlax poster jhu06 is putting president ron daniels on the hot seat
This roster needs a starting goalie
The goalie that took this team on a run through the conference and on to the B1G championship game last year is stapled to the bench. Does that make sense?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

hey, at least clearing was good tonight

we're back, baby!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:18 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:16 pm it's make the ncaas and win a tournament game next year or Baker and her handpicked coaching staff are toast
First loss to navy at home in 50 years followed by a game that wasn't as close as the score to delaware. There isn't any progress being made and the bar is higher when it's a coach the ad had a prior relationship with. No ncaas in first two years, an offense that's regressing and no improvement on the personnel end offensively. Yes the seats are hot.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:21 pm
The Orfling wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:14 pm Very rough weekend for the Jays. Hard to compute that the same team that beat Loyola, Jacksonville and Syracuse loses to two unranked (but good) teams in the same weekend. Have teams figured something out or is this just the up and downs of a season and Navy and Delaware are within the margin of error — top 25 teams beating a top 15\20 team?
Three games in 8 days is always risky. But three games in 8 days after playing the toughest early schedule in the country? That’s just setting up your team for failure.

DocBarrister
Duke said hold my jock
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:24 pm the bar is higher when it's a coach the ad had a prior relationship with.
lol, according to who?

he's coaching with a bunch of kids he didn't recruit. he's going to get at least another 3-4 years before there's even a discussion. posting it over and over again on an online forum isn't going to change that
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:24 pm
First loss to navy at home in 50 years followed by a game that wasn't as close as the score to delaware. There isn't any progress being made and the bar is higher when it's a coach the ad had a prior relationship with. No ncaas in first two years, an offense that's regressing and no improvement on the personnel end offensively. Yes the seats are hot.
Define “relationship”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:29 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:24 pm
Define “relationship”
https://cornellsun.com/2020/04/27/head- ... ant-coach/

she was facilities director when he was the lacrosse coach at cornell. Her classmate from navy was in charge of the coaching search. She hired the same firm to find tuckers replacement.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

While his post might be slightly over the top. He's not wrong that next year needs to show improvememt. Particularly on offense. Talent is poor but can you honestly tell me what they are trying to accomplish on offense. I get you can only do with so much chicken S and try to turn it into chicken salad. And I get talent can make schemes look better than it is but, man, Hopkins offense is tough to watch.
GSP

Post by GSP »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:20 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:15 pm
Its silly. It has absolutely zero to do with "fresh legs".
It is neither a silly nor an inane point to make! Additionally, it has nothing to due with tired legs or a better use of energy.
Instead, it is an embarrassing practice when the team is not competitive. The tradition only works when the team is dominant. It was a similar feeling to watching the pep band play the "We want more" song for the 4th goal when they were already down 16 to 3 to Virginia. It is just such a sad "salt in the wounds" reminder of just how far this program has slipped. It only invokes feelings of pity and sadness. They should discontinue both until the team gets competitive again.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:21 pm
Hoponboard wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:02 pm What a disastrous weekend. Milliman’s scheduling has basically killed the Jays’ season. Terps own the AQ. Start playing for next season and see if any of the freshmen beyond Callahan can play.
PM is playing with house money. It is justification for the ousting of DP. Face it, DP lost the early recruiting gamble and then some trying to recover from it.

If we could revive lax power, it was discussed in quite detail how this was going to happen.
It’s not mostly an early recruiting thing. Epstein is an early recruit and he is the Blue Jays’ best player.

I think Petro’s main recruiting issue in his latter years was failing to recruit a team of complementary players. For one reason or another, his recruiting classes grew top heavy with small attackmen, many of whom were forced to play midfield, even if they lacked the athleticism for the position.

Coach Milliman and his staff definitely have a style of lacrosse they want to play and apparently they are going to try and play that style of lacrosse whether or not it fits their current roster.

From a long-term perspective, that makes sense. They can seek the recruits best suited for their style, and show them what they want to do … establishing a clear identity on both ends of the field should only help to recruit the right kinds of players.

What that means in the short term is watching Petro recruits try and fit into a system for which they are not ideally suited. And that can look pretty ugly.

I have to give the current Blue Jays credit … it’s clear to me that they are trying hard to play the coaches’ system. What’s also clear to me is that they’re having an awful tough time doing it.

Blue Jays will need to either run the B1G regular season (a de facto AQ) or win the B1G tournament (the actual AQ). Either way, it’s a pretty daunting task.

Finally, I don’t think Coach Milliman or his staff are on the hot seat. However, if they miss the tournament this season and the next … well, I’m pretty sure the lacrosse alumni will not be happy about that … Tony Seaman was fired for much less.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

steel_hop wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:33 pm
While his post might be slightly over the top. He's not wrong that next year needs to show improvememt. Particularly on offense. Talent is poor but can you honestly tell me what they are trying to accomplish on offense. I get you can only do with so much chicken S and try to turn it into chicken salad. And I get talent can make schemes look better than it is but, man, Hopkins offense is tough to watch.
it's only "slightly over the top" to state that the athletic director is "toast" if they do not make the NCAA quarterfinals in the third year of a new coach's tenure and his first with a freshman class he fully recruited? just slightly?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”