Mustang Classic March 18-19 at Stevenson University

D3 Mens Lacrosse
CTlaxer12

Re: Mustang Classic March 18-19 at Stevenson University

Post by CTlaxer12 »

Apparently F&M read the fanlax boards today- flexed their muscle a bit in the second half and ran away from Stevenson. The Jekyll and Hyde act of the Dips continues…
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Lol. Yea. That or there is something actually to this whole “rankings” thing. Maybe #5 is generally better than #8, and #8 is generally better than #16.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

SixBySix wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:25 pm Lots of sleeping on the Centennial in this thread so far! May well be justified, but I think this is going to be one of the years they solidify the number two spot and are nipping at the heels of the 'CAC. I'm calling 5-1 on the weekend, with the Bullets taking the pick' em and pulling the feature upset (though I think the Dips have a shot at York as well).

Lynchburg over Denison
Amherst over Bates
Gettysburg over CNU
York over F&M
Dickinson over Stevie

CNU over Lynchburg
Gettysburg over Amherst
York over Bates
Dickinson over Denison
F&M over Stevie
Well, for going 8-2, this still feels like an overall pretty bad take. CNU is much better than I had given them credit, and it looks like there is a very significant step-off after Salisbury and CNU in the South. Amherst, Tufts, and Bowdoin (?!) may be the class of the NESCAC, and after SJF struggled with a 3-3 Ursinus squad, they may be the only challengers for RIT in the North.

Fantastic weekend of lacrosse with great production, as always, from Stevenson.
CTlaxer12

Post by CTlaxer12 »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:29 pm Lol. Yea. That or there is something actually to this whole “rankings” thing. Maybe #5 is generally better than #8, and #8 is generally better than #16.
I guess there is a method to the madness after all…safe to say this is the most enjoyable weekend of lacrosse until late May in DIII. Off to conference play for these titans. Kudos to the Stevenson crew for the online production. If anyone at Stevenson is reading this, truly quality and enjoyable- the broadcasting was more knowledgeable and crowd pleasing than most ESPN broadcasts for DI lacrosse.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Great weekend of lacrosse. A couple of take aways for me. Amherst is good and could certainly get a nod in the playoffs. Really thought they were the surprise of the tournament and I was very impressed by their team and staff.

CNU was exactly what I thought they would be and what I saw earlier in the year. The play fast and with great energy clearly a top 4 team right now.

Bates- has talented kids but maybe not enough of them, they were dominate at the faceoff X all weekend.

Denison - had a tough draw with Lynchburg and Dickinson. Played both of these team very tough but needed just a little more to get over the hump.

Dickinson- I was surprised that they were not ranked preseason as I thought they were very good when I saw them in the fall. This team with the goalie will be a tough out.

Gettysburg- lost both games and did not look particularly good doing it, especially against CNU, who I thought was going to hang 20 on them until they called off the dogs. They are good as the fought back against Amherst but still have work to do.

F&M- looked completely overmatched against a solid York team, could not match the speed or tempo of the Spartans. Had a nice comeback k as the defeated the hosts I. The last game of the weekend. Their middie is very good but he needs some help.

Lynchburg- tough weekend for Lynchburg, had to comeback in both games and got themselves to 15-13 against CNU and found a way to beat Dension. This is a good team that I think can do damage.

Stevenson- very surprised by Stevenson 0-2 weekend. But sometimes that’s the way it goes when you play good teams. They will be ok in Conference play until they get to York who they have a s ore to settle with.

York- I am not sure how to take the beating they gave F&M. Is York evolving into that type of team that can just run teams out of the building or is F&M wildly overrated. I kind of feel like it is the first one as they have learned their lessons from the losses to RIT and Salisbury pretty well and can become a very dangerous team as the season goes on and with some good teams still on the schedule that should keep them sharp as the enter the playoffs
434laxfan

Post by 434laxfan »

Hats off to Stevenson for another great Mustang Classic. Great atmosphere for each games from the tailgates to the concessions the staff on the ground and in the booth did a great job.

Denison - Definitely down a bit this year, but props to them on fighting tough against LYN and Dickinson. They would have won Friday morning had LYN #0 goalie not come in and stand on his head

Gettysburg - tough weekend getting CNU and Amherst back to back. They are definitely not as strong of a team as they have been recently but I am sure this weekend will only make them better. It's how you play in April and May that counts in the end!

LYN - Could have easily gone 0-2 this weekend. Props to 0 for hopping into the goal and playing lights out in 2nd half of Denison game. Faceoffs is a glaring issue against a really good team like CNU, if CNU faceoff guys doesn't get hurt they go 80% on the day if not more. Felt like they jumped into zone too quickly against CNU, when they started to shut off 2 guys they started getting some stops. I would expect 41 to start back in the cage Tuesday night against Tufts.

CNU - What can I say? They are a complete team and fired on all cylinders this weekend. They look like they could be one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the south, if not #1.

York - Nice weekend for the Spartans. They made F&M look silly on Friday and handled a not so strong Bates team on Saturday. Coach Childs is a great coach and has made York a great destination for lacrosse. I would be surprised if York doesn't go undefeated from now to the MAC tourney.

Stangs - Sucks to go 0-2 at your own tourney. The Saturday night game against F&M was a lot of fun to watch, very back and forth. I stayed on the stream to listen to Cantebene comments and thought he handled it like a pro thanking everyone for this weekend, but also acknowledging the areas that SU needs to improve on. Seems to me that Stevenson doesn't have as chippy of a starting lineup, especially on D. They def are chirpy but they miss strong powerful defenders that they used to have like Callum Robinson. Im sure they will improve as the season goes on.

Amherst and Bates - Amherst looks like they are again legit while Bates looks to be on a bit of a rebuild. Good on them to make the trip down to Baltimore, always fun to have teams that wouldn't normally play down "south".

Overall, fun weekend and already looking forward to next year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”