Israel and West Bank Settlements

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
jhu72

Re: Israel and Zionism

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:09 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:46 am
foreverlax wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:04 am Adelson as the poster child for this variety of trope - considering how many 10s of millions he has given to politics, I do wonder who he puts first, the US or Israel...behind himself.

...he is no different than the rest of the .001%, Kochs, Soros etc

That particular trope, that "Jews are money grubbing" (and the various corollaries) is one I have not thought about in a very very long time. It is certainly one you don't hear very much today - or at least I don't. It is certainly European and very old in its origin. It found its way to America, naturally, our ancestors brought it with them.

Did Omar really understand the hidden meaning, the allusion, of the thing she didn't say, but came dangerously close to saying? She was born and raised in Somalia and integrated into American society. Is this trope universal? Do you learn it even in Somalia? Did she bring it with her? I have my doubts. Was she even aware, or did she learn this in America?
The trope is very much 'alive and well" today. Anti-Semitism is very much on the rise in Europe and here in the US, and that's a central aspect.
Certainly much of that is true, and important to note. The particular trope its widespread usage is something I don't observe, but that does not mean it is not widespread. But none of this addresses my question. Particular tropes, are they universal or are they regional / cultural? I am suspecting cultural. The trope says more about the culture and about those spreading the trope than it does the subject of the trope.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

dislaxxic wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:02 pm Republicans and Democrats Say Their Criticism of Ilhan Omar Is About Anti-Semitism. They’re Gaslighting You.

"Last October, a far-right conspiracy theorist — who, like the president and other prominent Republicans, blamed “globalists” like Soros for allowing immigrant “invaders” to come into the United States — shot and killed 11 Jewish worshippers in the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh. To quote Adam Serwer of The Atlantic: “The apparent spark for the worst anti-Semitic massacre in American history was a racist hoax inflamed by a U.S. president seeking to help his party win a midterm election.”

On Wednesday, however, the House Democratic leadership will try and formally censure Rep. Ilhan Omar — a black Somali-American Muslim woman who came to the United States as a refugee, and who, in recent days, has been compared to the 9/11 terrorists by Republicans in West Virginia and described as “filth” by an adviser to the president — for saying that she wanted “to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country.” Her fellow congressional Democrats have said little or nothing about the aforementioned and shameful Republican record of anti-Semitism, but many have joined the pile-on against Omar. One of them — Rep. Juan Vargas — went out of his way to insist, rather revealingly, that “questioning support for the U.S.-Israel relationship is unacceptable.”

So my simple point is this: Whether or not you agree with Omar’s remarks, whether or not you were personally offended, anyone who tells you that these nonstop, bipartisan political attacks on her are about fighting anti-Semitism is gaslighting you."

Exactly.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

jhu72 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:14 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:09 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:46 am
foreverlax wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:04 am Adelson as the poster child for this variety of trope - considering how many 10s of millions he has given to politics, I do wonder who he puts first, the US or Israel...behind himself.

...he is no different than the rest of the .001%, Kochs, Soros etc

That particular trope, that "Jews are money grubbing" (and the various corollaries) is one I have not thought about in a very very long time. It is certainly one you don't hear very much today - or at least I don't. It is certainly European and very old in its origin. It found its way to America, naturally, our ancestors brought it with them.

Did Omar really understand the hidden meaning, the allusion, of the thing she didn't say, but came dangerously close to saying? She was born and raised in Somalia and integrated into American society. Is this trope universal? Do you learn it even in Somalia? Did she bring it with her? I have my doubts. Was she even aware, or did she learn this in America?
The trope is very much 'alive and well" today. Anti-Semitism is very much on the rise in Europe and here in the US, and that's a central aspect.
Certainly much of that is true, and important to note. The particular trope its widespread usage is something I don't observe, but that does not mean it is not widespread. But none of this addresses my question. Particular tropes, are they universal or are they regional / cultural? I am suspecting cultural. The trope says more about the culture and about those spreading the trope than it does the subject of the trope.
...you don't even observe that you live in Murder capitol USA........nor the NOI Louis FerryCON visists to Morgan State. Telling, how much YOU ignore. trolling the trope, but I love to eat tripe.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

6ftstick wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:55 pm So todays liberal democrats ... now can't pass a resolution condemning anti-semitism.

Great bunch of folks you elected.

Can't wait to see what ghoulish thing they'll demonstrate to us next.

Here's an idea:

Next time England takes political action in Northern Ireland, they can say that criticizing it constitutes an attack on the Anglican church.

Or if Russia mobilizes its military into Chechnya, any criticism of it is an attack on the Russian Orthodox church.

Yup, from now on whenever anyone criticizes a government for its political actions, that automatically constitutes an attack on its religion. At least this way we will always be consistent in the application of our principles.

What a deal, eh?
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Since when is Winston Churchill ordering tanks to open fire , on (killing) people in Northern Ireland considered "political" ?

Being Jewish is a fluffanutter sandwich. Tries to be more race than religion, even though it isnt'. But, lets conflate. Who hasn't been labeled a racist, white priviledged Mther Fers is they support tRump....or critique Obama?\

exackly
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:36 pm Since when is Winston Churchill ordering tanks to open fire , on (killing) people in Northern Ireland considered "political" ?

Being Jewish is a fluffanutter sandwich. Tries to be more race than religion, even though it isnt'. But, lets conflate. Who hasn't been labeled a racist, white priviledged Mther Fers is they support tRump....or critique Obama?\

exackly
Some of these people?

“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:52 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:36 pm Since when is Winston Churchill ordering tanks to open fire , on (killing) people in Northern Ireland considered "political" ?

exackly
Some of these people?

I know what your response will be but I will wait for it like Big Papi waiting on a 2-0 fastball......
“I wish you would!”
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

D@mn that witch Margaret Thatcher for invading Argentina and the Falkland islands. She sure was a d@mn b!tch on wheels. Small wonder why so many Poms sang "Ding, dong the b!tch is dead" when she croaked.

Now, don't anyone dare say I attacked the Anglican church for the actions of that ugly and wicked puta. :twisted:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

I wonder if Sasha did it?

:shock: :lol:
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Their enrollment must be down....need the publicity. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

President Trump declared on Thursday that the United States should recognize Israel’s authority over the long disputed Golan Heights, delivering a valuable election-eve gift to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu but jettisoning decades of American policy in the Middle East.

Favors all around.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

seriously? wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:35 am President Trump declared on Thursday that the United States should recognize Israel’s authority over the long disputed Golan Heights, delivering a valuable election-eve gift to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu but jettisoning decades of American policy in the Middle East.

Favors all around.
And certainly tanked any prospect of peace in the region...
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Good discussion by a couple morning show gasbags today about the VBI (Very Bad Idea) that is a US president making strategic decisions with no "process" whatsoever. They went at length into Shrub Bush's decision to invade Iraq, and how there was never any process, for example, NO NSC sit-down, face-to-face meeting with top decision makers prior to the disastrous decision to go into Iraq.

Making this kind of decision on some sort of "gut" feeling, especially from this uniquely unqualified and incompetent a "decision-maker" was not, is not, nor never SHOULD be a good idea for a process that guides the policy of a country the likes of ours...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am
seriously? wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:35 am President Trump declared on Thursday that the United States should recognize Israel’s authority over the long disputed Golan Heights, delivering a valuable election-eve gift to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu but jettisoning decades of American policy in the Middle East.

Favors all around.
I'd very much like to know what, if any discussions with policy people occurred before the President did this. It is a really momentous thing, and it sure appears that it is nothing more or less than a favor to Bibi.

https://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Syria ... lan-584270

https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.pr ... -1.7044940
njbill

Post by njbill »

RedFromMI wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:53 am

Favors all around.
No, no, no. This is all part of Prince Jared's peace plan. Pedestrian thinkers like you and me are incapable of seeing the genius behind this move. It is being widely praised in the Arab world, but of course the Fake News fails to report that here. No doubt a Mideast peace deal would already be in place if Jared didn't have to spend so much time with his lawyers trying to fend off that pesky Bob Mueller.
seriously?

Post by seriously? »

Sooo, was Ilhan Omar that far off the mark with her comments?

"I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country. I want to ask why is it OK for me to talk about the influence of the NRA (National Rifle Association), of fossil fuel industries or Big Pharma, and not talk about a powerful lobbying group that is influencing policies?"

Again, Omar was accused of anti-Semitism.
frmanfan

Post by frmanfan »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:54 am Good discussion by a couple morning show gasbags today about the VBI (Very Bad Idea) that is a US president making strategic decisions with no "process" whatsoever. They went at length into Shrub Bush's decision to invade Iraq, and how there was never any process, for example, NO NSC sit-down, face-to-face meeting with top decision makers prior to the disastrous decision to go into Iraq.

Making this kind of decision on some sort of "gut" feeling, especially from this uniquely unqualified and incompetent a "decision-maker" was not, is not, nor never SHOULD be a good idea for a process that guides the policy of a country the likes of ours...

No process to decide to invade Iraq? Does anybody else remember how this was discussed ad naueum? Colin Powell and his little vial of whatever was in there? Every clandestine service in the EU agreed there was WOMD capability? It may have been a horrible decision, and you can still fault GW for making the decision, but GW didn't make it without some discussion.
A cold beer and a warm woman is all I need to keep me happy. Sometimes a cold beer is enough...
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

No process WITHIN THE ADMINISTRATION. Bush never sat down with the normal policy-making bodies around the presidency, like the NSA, to map a coherent policy, to discuss pros and cons. President "Greeted As Liberators" Cheney was driving the discussion from outside, with the help from the likes of George "Slam Dunk" Tenet and Paul "It will pay for itself" Wolfowitz...Richard Perle, Donald Rumsfeld and others. Look up the Project for the New American Century and the Downing Street Memo (right Brooksie?)

Point being, this kind of back-door policy making can, and HAS been, a dangerous approach to serious policy debate.

The extent to which all this white noise hoodwinked Dems and the press and the populace at large will be debated until the cows come home...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

They went around the normal process and silenced dissent. Doug Faith? The Cheney/Pentagon Office of Special Plans? The Meet the Press lies about Prague and reconstituted nukes? Ring a bell? Over 900 times the Bushes used 9/11 and Saddam in the same sentence. When they knew their Saudi pals had done it. They lied about the aluminum tubes. The mobil missile launchers. The yellow cake.......so many lies...
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump

Return to “POLITICS”