D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by faircornell »

Great Yale team. Good win. LGR!
another fan

Post by another fan »

Ierlan great; defense strong until they were on the field constantly due to inability to win a faceoff.Brandau had a couple but I don't think they were against Adler. Clearing a problem all day, although better in second half. Kirst, Blake, Licciardi, Piatelli excellent on offense. We can score on anybody if we have the ball. We can improve on the clears. Quite concerned by the faceoffs going forward. Heart attack material, but onward! GBR
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

I'll take it!
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Yale has 3rd quarter problems on the road. Visiting locker rooms have no valets, vibrating custom stitched Barcaloungers, hor d'ovres, or bidets. :mrgreen:
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Happy we walked away with the win, Irelan and licciardi were outstanding.

Obviously FO and clearing against the 10 man ride are big issues but also this team needs to learn how to play with a decent lead in the forth quarter. Many examples but an obvious one was Coyole pass cross field on settled offense that went out of bounds… with a five goal lead I can only ask why. At the time I felt like we were about to close the door before this pass, but we actually burst it wide open. Without looking I believe we’ve done this in almost all our games this season.
Last edited by RedIvy on Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

another fan wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:05 pm Ierlan great; defense strong until they were on the field constantly due to inability to win a faceoff.Brandau had a couple but I don't think they were against Adler. Clearing a problem all day, although better in second half. Kirst, Blake, Licciardi, Piatelli excellent on offense. We can score on anybody if we have the ball. We can improve on the clears. Quite concerned by the faceoffs going forward. Heart attack material, but onward! GBR
Brandau finished 1,2 for 3. Goal came when Adler slid to a driving middie and Bardwell picked Brandau up.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Great, I repeat great teams just find ways to win, and this Cornell team is incredible on how they just continue to do this and all the credit in the world must go to Buczek and his coaches. We knew Yale would make a run and comeback but Cornell is so resilient.
Adler was in full shutdown mode. Lerlan was incredible in goal and the guys that don't get all the headlines like Licciardi, Blake etc were awesome and have helped pick up the slack from losing Lombardi.
Also, just for your information, Massey had the final score 13-12, Cornell. Way to go Massey.
6-0 and probably 1 of only 3 undefeateds after today. Depending on the MD vs. VA Game, I may make them #2, and really, congrats to Yale on a great game.
No let up next week at PENN.
Great win, Great game , GREAT TEAM.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Just a few thoughts. As I said before, when Coyle and Long are on the field together, their quickness provides matchup problems for any defense. When Matt Licciardi becomes a scoring threat, this opens things up for his teammates. Before today, he rarely took a shot and defenses didn't need to concentrate on him. Today, he made the defense cover him - still he went 2-1. Gavin Adler held Brandau to a quiet 1-2. Another notch in #77's belt. Chayse Irelan stood tall even during the 4th quarter onslaught and finished with 18 saves - I think 4 were in the 4th quarter. No need to say what needs to be worked on. Quite evident. Looks like the team finished the game healthy. Thank goodness. On to historic Franklin Field, unless, as has occasionally happened, the Penn game will be played on Ace Adams field.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:31 pm Great, I repeat great teams just find ways to win, and this Cornell team is incredible on how they just continue to do this and all the credit in the world must go to Buczek and his coaches. We knew Yale would make a run and comeback but Cornell is so resilient.
Adler was in full shutdown mode. Lerlan was incredible in goal and the guys that don't get all the headlines like Licciardi, Blake etc were awesome and have helped pick up the slack from losing Lombardi.
Also, just for your information, Massey had the final score 13-12, Cornell. Way to go Massey.
6-0 and probably 1 of only 3 undefeateds after today. Depending on the MD vs. VA Game, I may make them #2, and really, congrats to Yale on a great game.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Joewillie, don’t rank the Big Red so high—we want to remain underdogs!
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

I’ll have more thoughts later, but just a massive save by Ierlan from a shot in the crease with just over 2 minutes left; he was terrific all game.

Regarding faceoffs, I wonder if Petrakis is still spooked by the repeated violation call last week at PSU. Hard otherwise to explain what took place today at the X.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxjuris wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:47 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:31 pm Great, I repeat great teams just find ways to win, and this Cornell team is incredible on how they just continue to do this and all the credit in the world must go to Buczek and his coaches. We knew Yale would make a run and comeback but Cornell is so resilient.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Tough for a 6-0 team to be an underdog. If the MD.
/VA. Game is close, I will keep them at #3 , but if one team gets blown out (+5), then I will move them to 2. Sorry but this team deserves all the credit and accolades we can give them as NOONE thought they would be this good.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

"Ierlan's 18 Saves, Adler's Lockdown D, Kirst's Four Goals Lead Big Red Past Yale"
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... yale/59170
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

I was fortunate to make it back to Ithaca for a great afternoon at the Kopf - sunny, warm, and breezy. A great supportive crowd...and a W.

-At about 12 minutes+ left in the 4th quarter at 12-5, I said to myself that this looks like it will be a great statement win for Cornell. Brandau was well in hand by Adler, and the D was judicious by not overextending with slides or "shows", working really hard, and generally keep their men in front and up on their hands. Yale went scoreless for much of the 2nd, the entire 3rd, and almost 3 minutes of the 4th. Yale's D was tiring and their ride was far less intense. At just over 12 minutes, Coyle inverts and airmails a Dreadful cross-field pass from the wing over the head of a Cornell middie on the other wing. Yale scores - and Cornell's O doesn't touch the ball again until 12-10. Anyone's game...
Yale's FO run left Cornell's poles and shorties exhausted; long and late slides. The coaches tried to give the D some rest - playing 4 shorties and Jason Singer at Close for a bit.
-I never would have believed that with 2 competitive FOGOS, Cornell would win only 7 of 28 draws. This completely changed the game. And 2 of 3 of the wins were off of violations and 2 or 3 off of 50/50 scrums. I can definitely recall only 1 win off of a clamp.
-At 2 minutes+ left at 13-12 and Yale possession, I thought Yale had a good chance to tie, win the next face-off and steal the game. I beleive this was where 2 Yale players played a two-man game on the wing, lost the ball, Cornell gaining possession. A great Cornell clock run until I believe Kellerher passed to Kirst in tight quarters who turned over a short flip (rather than passing further into the attack zone); Yale ball with 16 seconds. Bardwell stayed right on the hip of Yale's inbounding middie who fed Brandau, well-guarded by Adler, followed by a last second shot sailing high. Hmmm.
***Big Issue 1: Yale came out flying with a well-designed 10 man ride: their attackmen quickly fell back to the 38/40'ish yard line (very deep) with their middies at mid-field - leaving a packed 10 yard zone. Cornell kept trying to run through 2, sometimes 3 defenders. Guys - you can't go 6 on 6 in that space (3 of our 6 are poles) without using the goalie. Cornell rode similarly, but Yale's goalie advanced to the 35+ before making his pass (7 on 6); Ierlan never advanced that far - the strategy was to outlet and hit a clearing middie. Cornell appropriately adjusted vs. Lehigh...or Hobart (?). Not today. Please - film review. Penn will take notice.
***Big Issue 2: Face-offs have contributed to long opponent runs vs. Hobart, Penn State, and Yale. Penn and Princeton (and possibly Syracuse) are both step ups in competition. The boys will need to win at 50% against teams ranked 1 - 10.
-Excellent day for Licciardi - he looked very confident. 2 goals off of dodges. Blake as well. Ierlan - lights out. Perhaps his best day. 'Love Adler's quick feet, motor, and competitiveness.
-Penn away - I hope it's at the other field they've used in the past rather than at Franklin. Probably not.
molo

Post by molo »

Cornell overcame face-off problems and held off a Yale rally to get my vote for number two as the current number two hit chased out of Audi. I know that Penn and Yale seem to get a lot of positive pub this year, but for now I put Cornell and Princeton in the top four.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:05 pm -Penn away - I hope it's at the other field they've used in the past rather than at Franklin. Probably not.
Cornellbigred.com Yale game article says it's at the Palestra. :lol:

Must be a new kind of box lacrosse with hoops.

[Probably be corrected soon.]
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:50 am
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:05 pm -Penn away - I hope it's at the other field they've used in the past rather than at Franklin. Probably not.
Cornellbigred.com Yale game article says it's at the Palestra. :lol:

Must be a new kind of box lacrosse with hoops.

[Probably be corrected soon.]
Several years ago, the game was played at Ace Adams field because Franklin Field was hosting a big track meet, maybe the Heps. Absent such a conflict, the game will likely be played at Franklin Field before about 50,000 empty seats.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

laxjuris wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:47 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
The Big Red has great potential and once they fix the clearing and faceoff issues can be considered for #2 ranking. Right now, there's not much space between Cornell and Princeton and Penn.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Congrats to the Big Red on yesterday's win! Ierlan and Kirst in particular -- just outstanding -- and Adler in particular is a fantastic defender. The Ivy League Tournament is going to be a particularly tough invitation this year (and as a Yale fan I maybe should have expected that but it feels unusual to be hoping not to be shut out of the ILT), but maybe the teams will meet again. Best of luck to the Big Red going forward.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:05 pm I was fortunate to make it back to Ithaca for a great afternoon at the Kopf - sunny, warm, and breezy. A great supportive crowd...and a W.

-At about 12 minutes+ left in the 4th quarter at 12-5, I said to myself that this looks like it will be a great statement win for Cornell. Brandau was well in hand by Adler, and the D was judicious by not overextending with slides or "shows", working really hard, and generally keep their men in front and up on their hands. Yale went scoreless for much of the 2nd, the entire 3rd, and almost 3 minutes of the 4th. Yale's D was tiring and their ride was far less intense. At just over 12 minutes, Coyle inverts and airmails a Dreadful cross-field pass from the wing over the head of a Cornell middie on the other wing. Yale scores - and Cornell's O doesn't touch the ball again until 12-10. Anyone's game...
Yale's FO run left Cornell's poles and shorties exhausted; long and late slides. The coaches tried to give the D some rest - playing 4 shorties and Jason Singer at Close for a bit.
-I never would have believed that with 2 competitive FOGOS, Cornell would win only 7 of 28 draws. This completely changed the game. And 2 of 3 of the wins were off of violations and 2 or 3 off of 50/50 scrums. I can definitely recall only 1 win off of a clamp.
-At 2 minutes+ left at 13-12 and Yale possession, I thought Yale had a good chance to tie, win the next face-off and steal the game. I beleive this was where 2 Yale players played a two-man game on the wing, lost the ball, Cornell gaining possession. A great Cornell clock run until I believe Kellerher passed to Kirst in tight quarters who turned over a short flip (rather than passing further into the attack zone); Yale ball with 16 seconds. Bardwell stayed right on the hip of Yale's inbounding middie who fed Brandau, well-guarded by Adler, followed by a last second shot sailing high. Hmmm.
***Big Issue 1: Yale came out flying with a well-designed 10 man ride: their attackmen quickly fell back to the 38/40'ish yard line (very deep) with their middies at mid-field - leaving a packed 10 yard zone. Cornell kept trying to run through 2, sometimes 3 defenders. Guys - you can't go 6 on 6 in that space (3 of our 6 are poles) without using the goalie. Cornell rode similarly, but Yale's goalie advanced to the 35+ before making his pass (7 on 6); Ierlan never advanced that far - the strategy was to outlet and hit a clearing middie. Cornell appropriately adjusted vs. Lehigh...or Hobart (?). Not today. Please - film review. Penn will take notice.
***Big Issue 2: Face-offs have contributed to long opponent runs vs. Hobart, Penn State, and Yale. Penn and Princeton (and possibly Syracuse) are both step ups in competition. The boys will need to win at 50% against teams ranked 1 - 10.
-Excellent day for Licciardi - he looked very confident. 2 goals off of dodges. Blake as well. Ierlan - lights out. Perhaps his best day. 'Love Adler's quick feet, motor, and competitiveness.
-Penn away - I hope it's at the other field they've used in the past rather than at Franklin. Probably not.
I had the good fortune to be at Cornell on Saturday for another engagement and was able to catch the 2nd half of the game live. I went from a feeling of elation and one where I thought I was watching the makings of a very special team in the midst of a potentially special season to a feeling of both relief and concern as I left Kopf. I'd say my feelings were identical to VRR's. Late in the 3rd/early in the 4th, this game appeared well in hand and looked like an easy win. Then the wheels completely fell off in the 4th quarter. But for some very timely saves from Ireland and some great defense by Adler and others, this game was very close to being a numbing defeat (similar to the Penn loss in 2019).

Four things led to the Yale surge and the nail biting win in a game where Cornell appeared dominant in the 3rd quarter.

First - two untimely turnovers - the Coyle pass mentioned above and a failed clear with about 3 minutes left and a 2 goal lead when a pole (can't remember who) carried the ball across the midfield line and just lost it.

Second, it appeared to me that, in the few times Cornell had possession in the 4th quarter that the offense went a little stagnant because it was more intent on running some clock than putting up another goal. I think the lesson there is to never let your foot off the gas.

Third, some bad luck. Ierlan made 4-5 huge saves down the stretch and there were some defensive checks putting the ball on the ground, but invariably Yale was in position to retain possession. This misfortune and bad luck kept the pressure on and kept possession away from Cornell a few times when they earned the ball but didn't get the bounces. A possession or two on these saves or potential turnovers and this remains a more comfortable 2-3 goal lead or more if Cornell converts a possession into a goal in the final 7-8 minutes.

Lastly, the 800 pound gorilla in the room was the shocking FO dominance by Yale.I cannot explain why Cornell was so dominated in this game at the FO X, but it is a major concern. FOs have not been a concern thus far this season (other than a bizarre stretch of violations in the 2nd quarter vs PSU) and at times have been a strength. Cornell had, up until this game, won 50-60% of draws against some of the best FoGos in the nation. Yesterday was complete domination by Yale and was the largest contributing factor to the lost lead. 1 or 2 face-off wins in the 4th quarter and this is a comfortable win. As I was driving home, I felt as if this was 2018-19 all over again. A talented national championship caliber team limited by a lack of possessions because of an inability to win face-offs putting undue pressure on the offensive to be incredibly efficient and on the defense to both make extended and repeated stops and to force turnovers to balance possessions. That is not sustainable.

I hope this is just a momentary glitch and that Petrakis and Psyllos figure out what is causing this drought and the wing play improves as well. The talent and ability are there.

On a positive note, this all has to be taken in context. If someone had told me that Cornell would be 6-0 at this point with a rookie coach and a 2 year. lay off, I would have been ecstatic. Coach Buczek and the staff have done a phenomenal job with this team. The offense is balanced , efficient, and unselfish as always and is a fun to watch. The defense, let by All-American candidate Adler has been solid as well. The SSDMs have been strong and Ierlan has won some games this season with his timely and clutch saves.

This can be a special team. They just need the ball 50% of the time .
another fan

Post by another fan »

Chousnake wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:25 pm
VeryRustyRed wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:05 pm I was fortunate to make it back to Ithaca for a great afternoon at the Kopf - sunny, warm, and breezy. A great supportive crowd...and a W.

I had the good fortune to be at Cornell on Saturday for another engagement and was able to catch the 2nd half of the game live. I went from a feeling of elation and one where I thought I was watching the makings of a very special team in the midst of a potentially special season to a feeling of both relief and concern as I left Kopf. I'd say my feelings were identical to VRR's. Late in the 3rd/early in the 4th, this game appeared well in hand and looked like an easy win. Then the wheels completely fell off in the 4th quarter. But for some very timely saves from Ireland and some great defense by Adler and others, this game was very close to being a numbing defeat (similar to the Penn loss in 2019).

Four things led to the Yale surge and the nail biting win in a game where Cornell appeared dominant in the 3rd quarter.

First - two untimely turnovers - the Coyle pass mentioned above and a failed clear with about 3 minutes left and a 2 goal lead when a pole (can't remember who) carried the ball across the midfield line and just lost it.

Second, it appeared to me that, in the few times Cornell had possession in the 4th quarter that the offense went a little stagnant because it was more intent on running some clock than putting up another goal. I think the lesson there is to never let your foot off the gas.

Third, some bad luck. Ierlan made 4-5 huge saves down the stretch and there were some defensive checks putting the ball on the ground, but invariably Yale was in position to retain possession. This misfortune and bad luck kept the pressure on and kept possession away from Cornell a few times when they earned the ball but didn't get the bounces. A possession or two on these saves or potential turnovers and this remains a more comfortable 2-3 goal lead or more if Cornell converts a possession into a goal in the final 7-8 minutes.

Lastly, the 800 pound gorilla in the room was the shocking FO dominance by Yale.I cannot explain why Cornell was so dominated in this game at the FO X, but it is a major concern. FOs have not been a concern thus far this season (other than a bizarre stretch of violations in the 2nd quarter vs PSU) and at times have been a strength. Cornell had, up until this game, won 50-60% of draws against some of the best FoGos in the nation. Yesterday was complete domination by Yale and was the largest contributing factor to the lost lead. 1 or 2 face-off wins in the 4th quarter and this is a comfortable win. As I was driving home, I felt as if this was 2018-19 all over again. A talented national championship caliber team limited by a lack of possessions because of an inability to win face-offs putting undue pressure on the offensive to be incredibly efficient and on the defense to both make extended and repeated stops and to force turnovers to balance possessions. That is not sustainable.

I hope this is just a momentary glitch and that Petrakis and Psyllos figure out what is causing this drought and the wing play improves as well. The talent and ability are there.

On a positive note, this all has to be taken in context. If someone had told me that Cornell would be 6-0 at this point with a rookie coach and a 2 year. lay off, I would have been ecstatic. Coach Buczek and the staff have done a phenomenal job with this team. The offense is balanced , efficient, and unselfish as always and is a fun to watch. The defense, let by All-American candidate Adler has been solid as well. The SSDMs have been strong and Ierlan has won some games this season with his timely and clutch saves.

This can be a special team. They just need the ball 50% of the time .
Excellent analyses by both above. Though Chousnake cited the pole's loss of possession under untimely turnovers, I think it is better placed under the other gorilla--clearing difficulties against a 10 man ride. I believe it was Jacobs (who has really stepped up this year) who crossed midfield, saw an impending double or triple team and seemed to freeze. This is the third game that I recall where we saw a 10 man, and it gave us trouble each time, though not as much as against Yale. And from reporting, our improvement in the second half may have been more attributable to Yale's exhaustion from their tenacious effort than by our solving the ride.

Fortunately, clearing with our athleticism ought to be more easily fixed than face offs. I also wondered why we did not see Graham as another look, given the extreme lack of success by Petrakis, Psyllos, and Rothstein. Similarly I wondered whether we could have tried a pole to at least try to create a scrum. Ramsey was winning so cleanly and quickly escaping. Hopefully, we won't have to face these decisions again, as we cannot keep winning against the best teams with such a possession deficit.

There is plenty to love and admire about this team. It seems like everybody except Maryland is still figuring something out, and overall we are off to a great start!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”