Hobart 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Hobart 2019

Post by joewillie78 »

stupefied wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:03 pm Very impressive . Bart dominated Gate start to finish making them look bad. Bart should be a top twenty team in next week rankings without question. Congrats
I Have been saying that for 3 weeks. Their only loss was by 3 goals to a top 5 team that took down the #1 team in the country. Your lack of respect in the polls is bewildering BUT takes nothing away from the great season you are having. Good luck against SHU.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

This game had me worried going in since Colgate has given us some real problems in years past. I was expecting a very close game. Wrong. I don’t know what got into our defense, but they played spectacularly. Nice and physical without giving Gate much space to do anything. And the offense continued to fire on all cylinders. I know that everyone (or practically everyone) wants to see us get some recognition in the polls, but I would just as soon remain the Dangerfields and feed off of the sense of not being respected. Just win, baby. SHU is going to be a real challenge. I was in Geneva last year to see them down us 10-6, and the game wasn’t even that close. It will be time for us to step up and seize the day.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

I really love watching this team . I keep waiting for them to be overconfident based on their success to date or lose concentration for 4-5 goal runs by the opponent, but they really play like a mature team with poise. Sacred Heart is a huge test and I think all facets are ready ... we know the offense is very deep but today the defense really came into their own . IF they continue at this pace of constant improvement , this could be the best team in many years.....The first goal is to win the NEC but the Syracuse game could be very interesting this year. GOBART
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

A nice win. The D tightened up after Q1. There were still too many time Gate had some wide open looks. We can't afford that against SHU. They are averaging over 14 goals a game, with 5 of their players with 10 goals or more. Congrats on the win. It only gets tougher from here Statesmen.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Nice win. I agree with oldbartman, though. Too many open looks. On several open looks Colgate fired 2 feet wide of the cage and if a couple of those had gone in, it would have been a closer game. Sam was in position to make the saves, but still. On the other hand, that shouldn't detract from a well played and complete game. Now on to SHU... This will be a tough one.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ridiculous turnaround from last season. Kudos to Hobart.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

stupefied wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:03 pm Very impressive . Bart dominated Gate start to finish making them look bad. Bart should be a top twenty team in next week rankings without question. Congrats
I was reminded today by my buddies @CollegeCrosse they did have Hobart in their poll at 20 this week. Only one that did, so credit them for believing in the Statesmen before the other media polls.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Hobart 100% earned a Top 20 spot. FanLax's computer ranking has them at 14. Objectively and unapologetically.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 pm Who’s that #19 dude ?
He’s pretty good !
Stone, you should check out our FR A Jason knox, from a lacrosse family, won ROY for Burlington Juniors two years ago.

I had also seen a post about California lacrosse kids from you and wanted to point out one of our most underrated players, sr Stanny Gilbertson. From palos verdes and West Coast Starz, was a Cali aA in Hs. Played most of last year injured but has become a terrific defensive mid, one man clear and a snaky good shooter when he wants to. https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=13899
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Thought they deserved to be in Top Twenty last week but guess they needed the convincing W to convince humans and computer models
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Last week FanLax had them at 21. Almost...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:25 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 pm Who’s that #19 dude ?
He’s pretty good !
Stone, you should check out our FR A Jason knox, from a lacrosse family, won ROY for Burlington Juniors two years ago.

I had also seen a post about California lacrosse kids from you and wanted to point out one of our most underrated players, sr Stanny Gilbertson. From palos verdes and West Coast Starz, was a Cali aA in Hs. Played most of last year injured but has become a terrific defensive mid, one man clear and a snaky good shooter when he wants to. https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=13899
I researched my usual sources, but could not find either of those players on the box rosters, I will check that out the Burlington box site.

Did not know about Stanny, should really follow Palos Verdes and these other schools more. Course, its the Denver Pios CA recruits that get all the ink, and also that ND kid was a top 5 recruit, he got a lot of ink.
Obviously if Gilbertson played on the Starz he’s very good, may have played with Austin French. I’ll recommend as I always do to, really all the schools. Our local schools produce good DI talent, and its been consistent for last 7-8 years, San Ramon Valley high and Monte Vista, both N Cal schools, and these schools have good east coast ties, coaches, boosters. Johnny Christmas is the head coach at De La Salle (CA).
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Anyone know anything about SHU?
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxgunea wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:53 pm Anyone know anything about SHU?
They have 2 guys who are the majority of their scoring, both probably MLL/PLL bound.. They avg. over 14 goals a game and have another 4-5 guys who can score. Face offs are not a strong point. Their defense is good and aggressive. They have 85 CTOs. The goalie is below 50% but, he can be streaky and be a shut down goalie when he gets hot as we saw last year. It's conference play so, there will probably be some chippy play. Last time we played at SHU the refs were not our friend by a long shot.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Joe Saggese, I have been following for probably 5 years, since his senior year at Smithtown East.
Smithtown had a great run with Saggese as QB teaming with Brian Willetts.
Originally a Drexel commit, I guess he did not want to sit, and transferred to SHU.
Saggese is consistent, that’s what I liked when I did get to watch Saggese at Smithtown East.
Saggese has scored in every college game he’s played in, including as a freshman. Not intimidated, physical enough though not necessarily a physical player. Does well, as happened at Smithtown with Brian Willetts, when teaming up specifically with one player, at SHU, with Max Tuttle.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Just took a look at the Inside Lacrosse Freshman rankings ... the comments tell the real story. It's actually kind of funny. They took a beating for not including Knox.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

And they list MSM v RoMo as the NEC game "not to miss" this weekend. Talk about Rodney Dangerfield!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Who cares what NEC Front Row says.
I know which game I’ll be watching 8-)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

20-14, think we’ll get better FO, Goalie and defensive play and similar offenses.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Love the team, but hate the slow start. I always worry that the slow starts allow the opposing goalie to get hot.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”