Mustang Classic March 18-19 at Stevenson University

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: Mustang Classic March 18-19 at Stevenson University

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Nosey Ned wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:07 pm
Laxdds wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:56 am Just curious as to who do you think has the toughest 2 games this weekend based on polls and the eye test. I have to say this exercise really hurt my head, I would make a decision then decide that my logic often was conflicted. Anyway here is my top five. The Bates games were tough to figure out and maybe they have the toughest weekend.
CNU
Denison
Gettysburg
Lynchburg
Stevenson
That's a good question and does take some mind twisting effort - more than I initially thought it would at least. In the end I just asked myself who's slate would I least want ... but still not sure that helped. Haha

But gotta come down somewhere and my final answer is...

Bates
Gettysburg
Denison
CNU

I guess I'm basically saying Amherst is better than the pundits are giving them credit for being.

This exercise just underscores how great this weekend is. Hands down, other than Memorial Day weekend the best weekend in the D3 season IMHO.
I think Dickson has the toughest road to being 2-0. My guess is CNU is that much better than everybody,
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Mustang Classic Fantasy player picks (both days)
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/fantasy
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Lynchburg Denison has been very entertaining. Love the camera angles and overall production quality that Stevenson sets up for this event.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Don’t look now, 10-7 Denison with 5:28 left in the third. :o
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

LYN playing a lot of defense. Denison defense playing well.
Can say not much going LYN way and lots going Denison’s way but more Denison earning it..
10-8 start of 4th
Nothinbutthelax

What a game. LYN not finishing like they usual do but credit Denison pressure all over field..
1:42 left- -13-11 LYN - Denison has ball
Nothinbutthelax

Quick one - 13-12
1:27 left
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

What a game. 13-12 Lynchburg. I imagine they’ll both be gassed tomorrow.
Nothinbutthelax

Wow- what a game to start the Stang!
LYN pulled AA goalie Moore and backup Hadley was an anchor.
LYN defense still needs to improve. Seems like LYN didn’t play as fast as they like but credit Denison..
LYN ran 3 middie lines and have a bit extra time to rest as they prep for CNU but LYN played more defense and they may be gassed..
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Wow great game. Hats off to both teams for fighting all day and playing a great opening game to this year’s Mustang Classic. Very even matchup and the stats bear that out. Coach K of Lynchburg made the goalie change and the kid immediately came up with a big stop to swing momentum- great move. That and Lynchburg better on man up was the difference 2 for 2 vs 0 for 3 I think.

Nonetheless, Denison showed me a lot these last 2 games against legit ranked teams - though they were both 1 goal losses, I think they showed they themselves deserve to be in the conversation as a top 10-12 team under their new stewardship. Was going to wait until after the weekend to decide if they still had it but this game was enough for me as no one gave them much of a chance today but they came to play and went toe to toe w #7. Looks like Denison remains in good hands. Well done Coach Koch - lots to build on here!
grelch

Post by grelch »

Thanks to insidelacrosse for posting a 13-12 Denison victory in their scores section. Then I come here and find Denison actually lost. Buttheads. lol.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

grelch wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:14 pm Thanks to insidelacrosse for posting a 13-12 Denison victory in their scores section. Then I come here and find Denison actually lost. Buttheads. lol.
Haha … how I wish it were true!
Nothinbutthelax

Agree Nosey. Denison in good hands
0-3 UP does seem to be the key stat
LYN 17 TO’s to Denison 11 and holding LYN to 43 shots jump out at me. As expected Koch defense is aggressive and caused a few key TO’s especially at end of game stripping Lewis with goalie out..
Denison offense is fast and they played 2 men high cease and had some nice inside feeds. They sucked LYN a few times driving the right alley then found a few up and over skip passes for step downs that worked well too.
Good luck the rest of the way!
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Can anybody explain why Amherst and Bates from the same conference are playing each other? Isn't the idea of the tournament to match-up great teams from other great conferences?
smoova

Post by smoova »

OldWU wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:45 pm Can anybody explain why Amherst and Bates from the same conference are playing each other? Isn't the idea of the tournament to match-up great teams from other great conferences?
Warmer March weather?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OldWU wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:45 pm Can anybody explain why Amherst and Bates from the same conference are playing each other? Isn't the idea of the tournament to match-up great teams from other great conferences?
Legit question. It's not like there's so many NESCAC schools that can't avoid each other.
Caddy Day
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:56 pm
Legit question. It's not like there's so many NESCAC schools that can't avoid each other.
I’m sure it has something to do with the so few OOC open slots available to the NESCACs due to such a late start to their season. So if you want 2 NESCAC programs represented (tourney defo better with at least 1 involved) you have to make 1 a conference game -which it is.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Either way, I'm enjoying this game (though I would've enjoyed Amherst playing a better NESCAC team better). Amherst looks good...
Caddy Day
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Tale of the Tape; CNU over Lynchburg
CNU is rock solid, I don’t see any holes in their line up to date.Still they have yet to play a top 20 team this year, I’m not including HSC. CNU is averaging 60 shots a game with 33% shooting. They are playing make it, take it lacrosse winning 61% of their face offs and clearing at 87%.Man up is a healthy 12 for 49 at 41%. This team is about 90% Virginia based which is a testament as to how the game has grown in just the last 10 years. They also sport TEN fifth year players providing a significant advantage at the line of scrimmage. This is also a BIG roster in terms of physical size they remind me of some of the physically larger Salisbury teams of the past. This years champ will be Tufts,RIT, Salisbury or my dark horse CNU. I thought York and Lynchburg could make a run but they might not be as good as I had thought in the beginning of the year. I think Lynchburg keeps it close but CNU will prevail , maybe by a lot

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”