media matters

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: media matters

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:34 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:17 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:58 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:22 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:02 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:40 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:11 pm Isn’t it more important to be self reflexive, face your own hard truths and look to improve yourself and account for blind spots than lighting up everyone else all the time as if everyone else is the only problem in your life?
I will circle back to that and answer you someday... maybe. I have faced my own hard truths face to face just as you have. If someone who does not know me wants to label me as some sort of closet neocon... then it is game on. I'm hoping that this certain person will apologize to me for his poor judgement in slapping a label on me he thought was a proper fit. I have a long list of defects of character to still address. That list does not, never has and never will include being a FRC wingnut. If that actually was the case that would be the least of my problems.
I just have you pegged as a grumpy old guy who cares about his causes and is “highly localized” in opinion and thought.

We all index people more than we should. Free will means anyone can do anything at any time.
A lot of people on this forum have me pegged as being "grumpy" I have a very long career that involves one on one interaction with the customer. In 99% of those cases the customer was angry and ticked off. I have always excelled at taking care of my customer and walking them off the ledge. The basic solution was always very simple. You tell the customer you understand the problem and why they are angry and your job is to make that problem go away. Then you carry through with your promise. I must have not as been as grumpy as you think, my technique, taught to me by and old school service technician worked for 40 years. I work part time now in a famous local Italian deli slinging deli meat. The best part of the job is schmoozing with the customers. My boss looked at me only yesterday and told me he wished he had 5 more employees just like me. I sold an older Italian woman a 2 pound tub of ricotta cheese yesterday. I asked her what she was making. We had a 5 minute conversation about the stuffed shells she was making for her husband and her moms recipe for Braciole. I love kabitzing with my customers. Maybe my alter ego exists on this forum and allows me to be grumpy. If your ever in Rochester look up that famous Italian deli, there is only one. Come up to the deli counter and i will be happy to chat with you. i can even give you the inside scoop on the best deli meats in upstate NY.
I need more corned beef in my life. (Have some in fridge but powers out this am). Where does Nick Tahoe get his garbage plate meat, pet euthanasia facility?

Maybe you’ve decided you want to be the customer now and we are supposed to be your service providers? Hated the gig?
My deli specializes in Boars Head meats. The finest deli meats around. Look em up on line. Our Boars Head London Broil Roast Beef is 18.95 a pound and people buy it like crazy. I love the gig, close to home and the customers love the product. What type of prosciutto do you like?? San Daniele imported Italian procuitto is 21.95 a pound. Aged for 18 months in sea salt. No other preservatives, it has been made the same way for many, many years. You can also buy DiParma proscuitto, Toscano prosciutto, Italian imported procuitto and the cheap stuff, the domestic prosciutto for only 12.95 a pound.. how about some Boars Head uncured natural casing Soppresatta?? 18.95 a pound sliced paper thin. How about some Battistoni Genoa Salami, some Hot Sicilian Salami, some Hard Salami, Sandwich Pepperoni ( popular for fresh pepperoni bread) You can't forget the best Cappacola around.. sweet Cappy, mild Cappy and extra hot. San Paulo sweet and hot Soppresatta, The house hot and mild Soppresatta a half dozen different Abruzzi course and fine pepperoni, you can't leave out the Guanciale, the prime rib of pig fat. I do love the gig. In an Italian deli do not ever confuse Bacala for Backlava... If you like snails... then babbalooch is preferred over escargot.
Love boars head but can’t justify $11-$14/lb these days at my local publix.

Only buy various salami/pepperoni types of meats occasionally gotta keep that sexy figure so while I love a lot of that I stick to Turkey/Ham/Roast Beef mainly.

Did have corned beef hash w eggs over easy, black beans substituted for grits and slapped it all on some wheat toast w a healthy couple of shakes of hot sauce. Let it all bleed into the toast. That’s livin! L..I..V..I..N

(grits-what a joke of a food, if it’s only good w cheese, butter and sausage/bacon it’s not good it’s a waste of stomach space)
Funny you mention grits. When I arrived at Ft Benning for basic training grits were served every morning in the mess hall for breakfast. I treated them like any Yankee would, like oatmeal. I put milk and sugar on them. Them southern boys gave me a rash of chit. Grits and gravy is traditional, I get that now. My wife loves grits, they don't do a damn thing for me. My favorite down south dish... Sausage gravy over fresh buttermilk biscuits. It don't get no better than that. A fried egg on top is the cherry on the sundae..
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

On the topic of “Lia Thomas” of UPenn, It's wild how literally no one is okay with this or celebrating this in the real world and all the media sites keep pretending the backlash isn't happening.

Are you that damn afraid of standing up to something that is so blatantly wrong that there's bipartisan agreement on it?

She just wrecked the dreams of hundreds of young women and even girls by winning the NCAA Women’s 500 Freestyle.

If you’re okay with this, I really think you need to reflect deeper. Imagine not standing up for women and girls in sport.

Despicable.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/17/trans-swi ... caa-title/
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'll be outraged if she decides to return to being considered 'male' after she's done with competition.

But I can't get all bent out of shape otherwise as I very much doubt that anyone doing gender reassignment is doing so to gain advantage in athletics. There could always be that one in a million though, so not impossible.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:28 am I'll be outraged if she decides to return to being considered 'male' after she's done with competition.

But I can't get all bent out of shape otherwise as I very much doubt that anyone doing gender reassignment is doing so to gain advantage in athletics. .....
... right, but you are not an idiot! :lol:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:08 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:28 am I'll be outraged if she decides to return to being considered 'male' after she's done with competition.

But I can't get all bent out of shape otherwise as I very much doubt that anyone doing gender reassignment is doing so to gain advantage in athletics. .....
... right, but you are not an idiot! :lol:

Are you guys upset at all that a freshman girl, Emma Weyant of UVA, got second place? Emma has been training her whole life to win this race, rising at 4 am to get to the pool to train before school starts, all to have Thomas beat her by a full second. Brooke Ford of Stanford came in 4th, so she got no medal. And one girl couldn’t participate in the final because Thomas took her spot.

I notice you never mention the carnage that Democratic policies leave behind.

I’m glad you’re “not bent out of shape”. :roll:

Too bad we can’t say the same for the world of women’s sports this morning.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... the only carnage is that created by fascists who want to consign all of natures unfortunate sex-gender misaligned individuals to second or lower class status. The fascists don't even want to admit these individuals exist. Shhh ... don't say gay ...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:44 am ... the only carnage is that created by fascists who want to consign all of natures unfortunate sex-gender misaligned individuals to second or lower class status. The fascists don't even want to admit these individuals exist. Shhh ... don't say gay ...

Trans folks can compete against trans folks. Fair?

Meanwhile you still won’t express even an inkling of remorse that liberal politics are ruining young girls’ dreams here in swimming. It’s actually stunning.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:55 am
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:44 am ... the only carnage is that created by fascists who want to consign all of natures unfortunate sex-gender misaligned individuals to second or lower class status. The fascists don't even want to admit these individuals exist. Shhh ... don't say gay ...

Meanwhile you still won’t express even an inkling of remorse that liberal politics are ruining young girls’ dreams here in swimming. It’s actually stunning.
... what young girl would that be? A young girl's hard work over years paid off. She won. Her dream came true.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:00 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:55 am

... what young girl would that be? A young girl's hard work over years paid off. She won. Her dream came true.

Emma Weyant didn’t “win”. The fourth place female finisher didn’t get a medal. The first alternate didn’t get to swim in the final.

Are you truly unconcerned with the fate of women’s sports.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

... women's sports are doing just fine. It is hyperbole to make out like this event is going to destroy women's sports. :roll:
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

The NCAA has been analyzing these things for decades and putting in policies for trans athletes over the years to keep a level playing field. If something needs attention, or people are cheating, or people have an unnatural advantage, it gets addressed.

Mr. Black and White has no idea what these policies are of course, or that they're constantly being revised. This issue has just been firehosed into his eyeholes from various propaganda outlets to make him angry and divisive.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:09 pm The NCAA has been analyzing these things for decades and putting in policies for trans athletes over the years to keep a level playing field. If something needs attention, or people are cheating, or people have an unnatural advantage, it gets addressed.

Mr. Black and White has no idea what these policies are of course, or that they're constantly being revised. This issue has just been firehosed into his eyeholes from various propaganda outlets to make him angry and divisive.
Actually, I think he just wants others to be angry and divided...all culture war all the time, partisan power interests.

I also don't think Petey has ever trained and competed for anything in his entire life, so it's rich when he claims concern for gals who have. What he's missing, of course, is that these girls and women, just like their male counterparts, earn their satisfaction through the effort and competition, not the medals.

It's the effort, the striving that matters most to the true athlete. Sure, it's crazy fantastic to win a medal, win a championship, be on the cover of sports Illustrated...whatever. But if being your very best, whether as an individual or as a team, is not the real driver, the accolades won't be coming anyway.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:09 pm The NCAA has been analyzing these things for decades and putting in policies for trans athletes over the years to keep a level playing field. If something needs attention, or people are cheating, or people have an unnatural advantage, it gets addressed.

“Black and white” is winning or losing the meet. Lia ‘won’. The second place female finisher did not. The fourth place finisher didn’t medal. An alternate didn’t get to race in the final because of Lia.

Is there a gray zone medal ceremony I’m unaware of?

What’s being ‘addressed’, as you say? Are the results going to be overturned?

You seem to think there’s a functioning body of officials handling this, I’d love to know more.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:48 pm I also don't think Petey has ever trained and competed for anything in his entire life, so it's rich when he claims concern for gals who have. What he's missing, of course, is that these girls and women, just like their male counterparts, earn their satisfaction through the effort and competition, not the medals.

It's the effort, the striving that matters most to the true athlete. Sure, it's crazy fantastic to win a medal, win a championship, be on the cover of sports Illustrated...whatever. But if being your very best, whether as an individual or as a team, is not the real driver, the accolades won't be coming anyway.
"I believe that treating people with respect and dignity is more important than any trophy or record will ever be, which is why I will not have a problem racing against Lia at NCAAs this year" - Brooke Forde, Olympic Silver Medalist & 4-time NCAA champion. That's true character and a competitor right there.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:08 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:48 pm I also don't think Petey has ever trained and competed for anything in his entire life, so it's rich when he claims concern for gals who have. What he's missing, of course, is that these girls and women, just like their male counterparts, earn their satisfaction through the effort and competition, not the medals.

"I believe that treating people with respect and dignity is more important than any trophy or record will ever be, which is why I will not have a problem racing against Lia at NCAAs this year" - Brooke Forde, Olympic Silver Medalist & 4-time NCAA champion. That's true character and a competitor right there.
+1...a winner in life.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:52 pm

“Black and white” is winning or losing the meet. Lia ‘won’. The second place female finisher did not. The fourth place finisher didn’t medal. An alternate didn’t get to race in the final because of Lia.

You seem to think there’s a functioning body of officials handling this, I’d love to know more.
Just wondering…what sports did you play at a competitive level? Your kids compete at a competitive level?
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

I find it telling and sad that Pete thinks that NCAA sports is about winning and losing....and that's it. No larger purpose. No teaching moments. Nothing to do with the educational mission of these schools.

Just w's and l's.

Pete's worldview is just......I feel pity for him. Pity.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:49 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:52 pm

Just wondering…what sports did you play at a competitive level? Your kids compete at a competitive level?

Did you have answers to my questions?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:58 pm

I find it telling and sad that Pete thinks that NCAA sports is about winning and losing....and that's it. No larger purpose. No teaching moments. Nothing to do with the educational mission of these schools.

Just w's and l's.

Pete's worldview is just......I feel pity for him. Pity.

I find it telling and sad that none of you have expressed even an ounce of pity to the young ladies who didn’t win that meet, didn’t show, and didn’t even get a chance to compete, with two more meets to go and more girls yet to lose.

Nor have you offered any ideas as to how to fix this problem which, unless nipped in the bud today, only grows in time.

That’s frankly depressing, and remarkable.

As Jordan Petersen said, ‘you get to a terrible place by being pushed and never protesting’.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

It does make you wonder how these people would feel if it was their daughter who came in second due to evolution and the physiologic advantage the first place winner had due to being born male.

Return to “POLITICS”