Syracuse @ Florida 3/16/22 at 6:30

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Dr. Tact

Re: Syracuse @ Florida 3/16/22 at 6:30

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:02 pm Taking the under with FLA pulling an upset
Big win for fla...
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:03 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:02 pm Taking the under with FLA pulling an upset
Okay Doc, give--who's your source?
Just lucky I guess 👀

Just watched the replay as I was watching D3 play Gettysburg.

FLA has some good players. And Reznick was money $$$
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:48 pm Florida is going to a real problem these next few years. Reznick only a Redshirt Sophomore. A real difference-maker tonight. Pavinelli and LoPinto are an nice young duo, tough to stop when they get rolling!

Joe
no, they are not. i hear this every 2 years. wake me up when it happens.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:37 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:48 pm Florida is going to a real problem these next few years. Reznick only a Redshirt Sophomore. A real difference-maker tonight. Pavinelli and LoPinto are an nice young duo, tough to stop when they get rolling!

Joe
no, they are not. i hear this every 2 years. wake me up when it happens.
I didn't say national championship contender per se, I more meant solidly inside the top 10, with their ability to hang with a few of the top 5 teams. Not a team that should be taken for granted, if they can continue to gel defensively. Have watched them for many years, I am aware of what you are saying. This is a different bunch, may not see the full result until sometime next season...

Joe
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

USA Lax mag had this for a headline in their Wednesday Wrap: Florida Stuns Syracuse.

Hyperbole. I wasn't stunned in the least and I doubt many were. A little surprised, yes--but given the mercurial nature of both teams this year, this end result was anything but stunning. Now if Canisius had done it, yeah--then I'm stunned. But Florida at home? Nah.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cagekeeper wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:08 pm I’m sure Regy was loving every second of that beating
I thought of that for a moment yesterday hours before the game, that he could be a factor in game prep. Had to be a very satisfying win for Thorpe. (I wonder if he had any aspirations for the head coaching spot vacated by Gait way back when...)
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Why is Resnick listed as a red shirt sophomore? She’s a red shirt junior. She red shirted in ‘19, played in ‘20 & ‘21, so this is her red shirt junior year. If you look at her bio on FU’s site it lists her first two years playing (20 & 21) as both “Redshirt freshman” years. Also, was she a transfer to Florida? Her bio says she was in the 2017 class coming out of high school, what did do for the ‘18 season? Maybe a transfer? Either way she has two more years for FU which is good for them.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:40 am USA Lax mag had this for a headline in their Wednesday Wrap: Florida Stuns Syracuse.

Hyperbole. I wasn't stunned in the least and I doubt many were. A little surprised, yes--but given the mercurial nature of both teams this year, this end result was anything but stunning. Now if Canisius had done it, yeah--then I'm stunned. But Florida at home? Nah.
Agreed; I don't think anyone who has watched Syracuse pendulum between very good and awful this year could be surprised. Dull, lackluster offense, and a defense that was called on, by draws and turnovers and Reznik saves, to play too much.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Justalaxdad wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:40 am Why is Resnick listed as a red shirt sophomore? She’s a red shirt junior. She red shirted in ‘19, played in ‘20 & ‘21, so this is her red shirt junior year. If you look at her bio on FU’s site it lists her first two years playing (20 & 21) as both “Redshirt freshman” years. Also, was she a transfer to Florida? Her bio says she was in the 2017 class coming out of high school, what did do for the ‘18 season? Maybe a transfer? Either way she has two more years for FU which is good for them.
COVID year? It puts everyone "back" a year eligibility wise.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:13 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:40 am USA Lax mag had this for a headline in their Wednesday Wrap: Florida Stuns Syracuse.

Agreed; I don't think anyone who has watched Syracuse pendulum between very good and awful this year could be surprised. Dull, lackluster offense, and a defense that was called on, by draws and turnovers and Reznik saves, to play too much.
Agree 100%. Cuse has been living on the edge this season … all of the above and their luck was bound to run out they have a serious issue in the cage. Resnick is inconsistent, but she was able to come up big yesterday.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

I noticed a face guard on Tyrell. Maybe that is the way to stop the offense. Reznick's saves were the difference in that I saw at least 3 (or 4?) doorstop saves that are typically a 90% make.

Is this the 2022 version of the 2020 rollercoaster? I dont think so. I think Florida is much more stable. They lost some close games to good teams, but the team seems to be playing at a more consistent level. The D is pretty good, the Tending can be very good, their ride allows a few TOs a game, their offense seems to be clicking...10 more games...all walks in the park. 13-4 record at the end. They should be top 10.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:23 am

I noticed a face guard on Tyrell. Maybe that is the way to stop the offense. Reznick's saves were the difference in that I saw at least 3 (or 4?) doorstop saves that are typically a 90% make.

Is this the 2022 version of the 2020 rollercoaster? I dont think so. I think Florida is much more stable. They lost some close games to good teams, but the team seems to be playing at a more consistent level. The D is pretty good, the Tending can be very good, their ride allows a few TOs a game, their offense seems to be clicking...10 more games...all walks in the park. 13-4 record at the end. They should be top 10.
Going forward if I was a team about to play Cuse I would def FG MT, it disrupts her sister a bit and the Meg show. And play solid D on EH and not let her wind around to shoot . It seems she is playing low attack now.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Justalaxdad wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:40 am Why is Resnick listed as a red shirt sophomore? She’s a red shirt junior. She red shirted in ‘19, played in ‘20 & ‘21, so this is her red shirt junior year. If you look at her bio on FU’s site it lists her first two years playing (20 & 21) as both “Redshirt freshman” years. Also, was she a transfer to Florida? Her bio says she was in the 2017 class coming out of high school, what did do for the ‘18 season? Maybe a transfer? Either way she has two more years for FU which is good for them.
Reznick was c/o 2018 so that’s an error on Florida’s part. COVID has certainly made for inconsistencies in the way which programs list academic year/eligibility. It looks like she graduated HS in 2018, did not play in 2019 (red shirt year), 2020 was her “redshirt freshman year” that was canceled, and so then they called 2021 her “redshirt freshman” year again because it was essentially a do-over. Academically she could be a junior.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Bart wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:14 am
COVID year? It puts everyone "back" a year eligibility wise.
Maybe - every other team lists their players as the year they are and then 5th players taking the extra “Covid” year are listed as “GR” and referred to as 5th year seniors.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:56 am
Reznick was c/o 2018 so that’s an error on Florida’s part. COVID has certainly made for inconsistencies in the way which programs list academic year/eligibility. It looks like she graduated HS in 2018, did not play in 2019 (red shirt year), 2020 was her “redshirt freshman year” that was canceled, and so then they called 2021 her “redshirt freshman” year again because it was essentially a do-over. Academically she could be a junior.
I think you’re spot on. Either way you look at it she has two years left after this one.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Everyone picking the under yesterday – the game yielded only one yellow card. Whoda thunk it?
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:38 am Everyone picking the under yesterday – the game yielded only one yellow card. Whoda thunk it?
I was really (happily) suprised about that! There were def a lot of fouls and a few missed calls for sure.
How bad a loss is this for Cuse? Florida is in top 20 but I don’t see Cuse dropping past 5-6 in polls . Assume they handle VT but look what happened to ND
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

wlaxphan20...the difference in that game last night was Goalie play. Sarah Reznick is not one of my favorite Goalies( I have problems with her setup and technical things), but last night she made saves. Some of the shots were dumb, but she made the saves.
I am still flabbergasted at Kimber Hower, leaving the crease, to make a fancy move on a dodge only to throw a horrible pass that got picked off and resulted in an empty cage score. What the hell was that!

Syracuse HAS to solve their Goalie problem if they are intent on contending for the NC. Either Hower or Sweitzer is going to have to steady that position or start making Summer plans.

As I have tried to tell people for years, not anyone can play the hardest and most important position on the field...Goalie. It really takes a person of special mettle to step into the fire and get it done game after game. Despite the belief of people(some) that putting better defenders in front of a Goalie will make a Goalie better, that is simply not the answer. In the end, Goalies HAVE TO make saves!

However, what does a know it all like me know, right? :roll: ...this is the national symbol of juvenilism.
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:19 pm wlaxphan20...the difference in that game last night was Goalie play. Sarah Reznick is not one of my favorite Goalies( I have problems with her setup and technical things), but last night she made saves. Some of the shots were dumb, but she made the saves.
I am still flabbergasted at Kimber Hower, leaving the crease, to make a fancy move on a dodge only to throw a horrible pass that got picked off and resulted in an empty cage score. What the hell was that!

Syracuse HAS to solve their Goalie problem if they are intent on contending for the NC. Either Hower or Sweitzer is going to have to steady that position or start making Summer plans.

As I have tried to tell people for years, not anyone can play the hardest and most important position on the field...Goalie. It really takes a person of special mettle to step into the fire and get it done game after game. Despite the belief of people(some) that putting better defenders in front of a Goalie will make a Goalie better, that is simply not the answer. In the end, Goalies HAVE TO make saves!

However, what does a know it all like me know, right? :roll: ...this is the national symbol of juvenilism.
Doesn’t Cuse have 2 other goalie options besides those ^ two?
Last edited by Lax247 on Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:19 pm wlaxphan20...the difference in that game last night was Goalie play. Sarah Reznick is not one of my favorite Goalies( I have problems with her setup and technical things), but last night she made saves. Some of the shots were dumb, but she made the saves.

Larry - that's what I was trying to say as well. Reznick had some great saves. Syracuse, without taking away from the fact that Reznick made great saves, also took some bad shots. Those great saves were not the ones made on the bad shots.

I don't believe good defenders necessarily make a goalie better, but they can certainly help their goalies out by forcing shots to be taken from less favorable positions. Yes, the save still has to be made.

Clearing does seem to be an issue (among other things) for both Hower and Sweitzer just based on what I've seen.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”