Maryland v. Virginia

D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: Maryland v. Virginia

Post by keno in reno »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:34 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:39 pm This is totally unpredictable. Both teams want the natty so this game might have some tinkering and experimentation they wouldn’t normally do and might give insight and knowledge to the coaches. A loss doesn’t really hurt either team so they will experiment with whatever tweaks they think may help them down the line.
Agreed. This game is essentially useless They are both already in the tournament and the only benefactor is to see how matchups take shape; far too much time between now and tournament time.
100% agree with this, other than it is awesome for lax fans and school fans to see. Maryland has several examples of winning regular season matchups only to get whacked in the final 4 (Duke a few times, UNC 2016, UVA 2011). Game means nothing other than an appreciation of great programs and players.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

This event is kind of poorly publicized in that it's hard to find information about it. I thought I'd heard a while ago that other schools may be involved but it wasn't until I looked at schools' schedules for upcoming games that I saw Duke and Towson will also be playing at this location on this day. Then I had to poke around some more to find out who else. So here's what I've learned:

Game 1: Hampden-Sydney vs. Catholic 12:00 PM
Game 2: Maryland vs. Virginia 3:00 PM
Game 2: Duke vs. Towson 6:00 PM
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Gatsby wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:36 pm This event is kind of poorly publicized in that it's hard to find information about it. I thought I'd heard a while ago that other schools may be involved but it wasn't until I looked at schools' schedules for upcoming games that I saw Duke and Towson will also be playing at this location on this day. Then I had to poke around some more to find out who else. So here's what I've learned:

Here is twitter site about the event.
https://twitter.com/cclaxdc/status/1503 ... 58177?s=21

Sidelines look to be sold out. They open up sales for the ends
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:37 pm
Gatsby wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:36 pm This event is kind of poorly publicized in that it's hard to find information about it. I thought I'd heard a while ago that other schools may be involved but it wasn't until I looked at schools' schedules for upcoming games that I saw Duke and Towson will also be playing at this location on this day. Then I had to poke around some more to find out who else. So here's what I've learned:

If they wanted it to be DC-area teams, they should have made it Georgetown vs. Utah as the third game.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Gatsby wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:55 pm
AreaLax wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:37 pm

If they wanted it to be DC-area teams, they should have made it Georgetown vs. Utah as the third game.
Agree
molo

Post by molo »

I've seen UVA once live and have seen all the rest of their games streamed. I haven't seen Maryland live yet but have seen enough of them streamed to know that they are as good or better than UVA and better than everyone else so far this year. UVA had trouble with High Point early but has for the most part dispatched the rest of their opponents, save UNC, with relative ease. Maryland has breezed through its schedule, with the Princeton game their equivalent of the UVA-UNC game, a somewhat close win over a strong but overmatched opponent.
Both face-off men look similarly strong statistically, but UVA fans must admit that LaSalla can run hot and cold, and when he is cold, well, remember SU last year. Both offenses are potent enough that if one team falls behind on possessions, no matter how good their d may be, they will give up goals. Maryland, as usual, has a likely first team AA defenseman leading an overall tough d. I haven't seen enough of them to know how their number two pole will match up with Moore, who would be the best attackman on most teams. Puglise is regarded among the top ssdms in the country, and isn't Maryland getting last year's number two dm back for this game? Schutz is UVA's best midfield dodging threat but he hasn't faced a rope unit like Maryland's yet. Donville, DeMaio, and Long are by far the best group of middies that UVA has faced this year. Thus far their poles have played well. Salade is the UVA answer to Puglise, and Chizmar, an offensive player in high school, has become the second dm with Parker, Peele, and more recently, Zinn, providing depth behind 32 and 34. Hopkins transfer Murphy is just one of a number of skillful Maryland second middies. When you can move a starting middie to dm, you've got some depth.
Can the big dman from California keep Wisnauskas in check? Even without Saustad, I like UVA's other two close defensemen against Kahn and Malever/Maltz. Both teams have good goalies, but Nunes has not yet faced this kind of firepower.
To me, it's a pick 'em game. I think the stars will shine and of course goalkeeping and face-offs will be crucial. It could be the Craig Katz factor that determines this game. But maybe it will be a Derek Katz thing. I give the edge to Maryland on midfield scoring and a slight edge--probably just because I'm more familiar with the team--to Virginia.
For those more familiar with Princeton in its heyday, please correct me if I have confused the brothers. One was a second middie, the other a dm.
As for the venue, I'm sure it's nice, but I would have preferred that this game be played in College Park. I like to see college games in college stadiums.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

While Tiffany in his weekly presser today said that Kastner would match-up with Wisnauskas, I'm going to be really surprised if that happens. Maryland's last 3 opponents have sent their best cover defensemen to Malever and Khan. It seems they figure that if Khan and Malever get going that it makes Maryland nearly impossible to defend, so teams have loaded up the other two, especially on Khan, and let Wisnauskas get his 6 points. Teams have also poled DeMaio instead of Long. Donville rarely draws a pole, as teams don't take him for a dodging threat. DeMaio's doesn't dodge much, but getting a pole on him has disrupted his shooting. He's shooting like 18% of something like that when in his previous years, he's been in the 30s and 40s.

Cuse, ND, and Princeton used this strategy, which led Maryland to go to its invert game with Long. The second midfield line has also regularly inverted (Murphy and Brennan...not so much Koras, who usually heads to the crease).

Maryland's offense works best when a dodger draws a slide. Khan and Malever will need to win their match-ups. If not, UVA is going to force shot clock violation or knock down a lot of passes and get out in transition. When Terp dodgers are drawing slides, Maryland's ball movement is fun to watch. The offense is like Whack-A-Mole for defenses.

Some MD fans have wondered why Daniel Maltz hasn't entered the starting line-up as Khan has struggled over the past 4 games. Look no further than UVA's title game win. When Maltz was in the game, UVA shorted him and bumped a pole up to the midfield. When the Terps began their final run, it happened when Malever (a second line midfielder last year) went into the game at attack. UVA couldn't short him, and it opened up the midfield and outside shooting for the Terps.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:18 pm While Tiffany in his weekly presser today said that Kastner would match-up with Wisnauskas, I'm going to be really surprised if that happens.
prepare to be really surprised
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Game of the year so far imo and both teams toughest test yet. Looking forward to my vacation but bummed I won't be seeing this game in person.

Still weird for me md isn't in the acc
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Kinda interesting side note is that we will have #1 face #2 in both men's and women's lacrosse this weekend. Outside of maybe Memorial Day, I would bet that's never happened before. ACC provides 3 of those 4 teams and the 4th team is an ACC alum.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:43 am Kinda interesting side note is that we will have #1 face #2 in both men's and women's lacrosse this weekend. Outside of maybe Memorial Day, I would bet that's never happened before. ACC provides 3 of those 4 teams and the 4th team is an ACC alum.
Very interesting. Admittedly don't follow the women's game so had no idea this was happening. You are probably correct about the rarity. Good little nugget of info
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:27 am
Wheels wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:18 pm While Tiffany in his weekly presser today said that Kastner would match-up with Wisnauskas, I'm going to be really surprised if that happens.
Honestly, I think it's a mistake, but I'll be happy if it means that Khan and Malever can get theirs. That will help headed into conference play.

Logan will get his points like he always does. Especially if the Terps can get Virginia's defense rotating a bunch.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:22 am
Honestly, I think it's a mistake, but I'll be happy if it means that Khan and Malever can get theirs. That will help headed into conference play.

Logan will get his points like he always does. Especially if the Terps can get Virginia's defense rotating a bunch.
Tiffany doesn't strike me as someone who's going to get cute with things. If he said that's the gameplan I think it will be (at least initially, things can always change mid-game). Put my top guy on your top guy, let em battle and then force Khan, who hasn't scored a goal since the Nixon administration, to beat you. Big games like this one is why Tillman brought in Khan, they haven't really *needed* him before this point but now might be the time. Let's see if he's up for it.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

I have no idea what Virginia will actually do on D, but I know better than to predict who will or won't have success in this game.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

blue angels wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:47 am

I have no idea what Virginia will actually do on D, but I know better than to predict who will or won't have success in this game.
Not to mention that doing what others have done this year against UMD .... well, how has that worked so far? :lol:

This game is certainly tee'd up as THE regular season match up of the year. Really looking forward to seeing some great lacrosse.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

HooDat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:37 pm

Not to mention that doing what others have done this year against UMD .... well, how has that worked so far? :lol:

This game is certainly tee'd up as THE regular season match up of the year. Really looking forward to seeing some great lacrosse.
No need to rotate if you play good defense. 8-)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

I got UVA in a barn burner of a game. Going to toss out a score of 13-12 because it just feels right. Excited to see how Maryland handles UVA's energy in the middle third. Also think that Petey Lasalla is going to have himself a day at the X. If Maryland can contain transition and clear at above 90% I believe they have a really good chance at winning the game.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Wheels wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:18 pm While Tiffany in his weekly presser today said that Kastner would match-up with Wisnauskas, I'm going to be really surprised if that happens. Maryland's last 3 opponents have sent their best cover defensemen to Malever and Khan. It seems they figure that if Khan and Malever get going that it makes Maryland nearly impossible to defend, so teams have loaded up the other two, especially on Khan, and let Wisnauskas get his 6 points. Teams have also poled DeMaio instead of Long. Donville rarely draws a pole, as teams don't take him for a dodging threat. DeMaio's doesn't dodge much, but getting a pole on him has disrupted his shooting. He's shooting like 18% of something like that when in his previous years, he's been in the 30s and 40s.

Cuse, ND, and Princeton used this strategy, which led Maryland to go to its invert game with Long. The second midfield line has also regularly inverted (Murphy and Brennan...not so much Koras, who usually heads to the crease).

Maryland's offense works best when a dodger draws a slide. Khan and Malever will need to win their match-ups. If not, UVA is going to force shot clock violation or knock down a lot of passes and get out in transition. When Terp dodgers are drawing slides, Maryland's ball movement is fun to watch. The offense is like Whack-A-Mole for defenses.

Some MD fans have wondered why Daniel Maltz hasn't entered the starting line-up as Khan has struggled over the past 4 games. Look no further than UVA's title game win. When Maltz was in the game, UVA shorted him and bumped a pole up to the midfield. When the Terps began their final run, it happened when Malever (a second line midfielder last year) went into the game at attack. UVA couldn't short him, and it opened up the midfield and outside shooting for the Terps.

This game will be Khan’s game to shine.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:33 am

Tiffany doesn't strike me as someone who's going to get cute with things. If he said that's the gameplan I think it will be (at least initially, things can always change mid-game). Put my top guy on your top guy, let em battle and then force Khan, who hasn't scored a goal since the Nixon administration, to beat you. Big games like this one is why Tillman brought in Khan, they haven't really *needed* him before this point but now might be the time. Let's see if he's up for it.
Khan drew Kennedy, Baughan, and Cohen when the Terps played Cuse, Princeton, and ND, respectively. There's a reason he hasn't hit the back of the net since the Loyola game. Petro's game plan against him was to hedge or slide early when Khan was at X. When Khan got near GLE, they immediately doubled him. Pricenton and ND did the same kinds of things. My view is that teams have realized that letting Khan and Malever get 4 or 5 points each is the recipe for a MD blowout. They've instead forced MD's midfield to do the hard work. With MD's 2nd MF line (thank you Hop for Murphy and his swagger!), the Terps have been able to wear defenses down. But it sure would be easier if they could get both Khan and Malever getting a combined 6 or 7 points.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HooDat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:37 pm

Well, I feel pretty good about saying Schellenberger is going to have his usual day in the office. It's whether or not the Terps can limit Moore that will probably determine who comes out ahead. I've heard from some close to MD that Zappitello will draw Schellenberger and Makar will draw Moore. That's what they did in the national title game (gulp) except Grill was the guy on Schellenberger.

Wisnauskas has had 2 pretty good games against UVA; albeit that was with UVA concentrating on Bernhardt. Will be fun watching two basketball player-sized guys battling it out on the field with sticks in their hands!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”