Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Peter Brown

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by Peter Brown »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:23 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:51 pm
Loyolalax wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:40 pm
houndace1 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:49 am “Holy heck where was this team for the first four games?” Was my first thought after watching it live.

I think no one was expecting this result, but while this win was massive for the Program as they have not beaten Duke in 6 years, it is still important to play this way again next weekend for bucknell. One game at a time.

Either Duke doesn’t have very good poles/shorties or the ball movement was just that good yesterday after rewatching the game
I agree, where has this team been? This team should be 5-1. Underperformed the first 4 games. Great win, but there are still some glaring problems that have been mentioned already.

Olmstead, for every good thing he does, he has a costly turnover, the same with Rezanka, does great things and then costly turnover.

Offensively, moved the ball with precision, which moved the D and allowed Lindley to cut and get open. Finally, changed the EMO, looked much improved.

Defensively, still looks some trouble communicating with slides, Sally is getting better but still has issues... Close D was great, and Rezanka is a cause turnover machine. Stay with Shafer, he will lead you to the promise land. I think we still have issues with SSDMs, Rezanka and Sally are good, the second line gave up some easy goals.

FOGO- I like the 1 2 punch of Savio and Pachecko, they did a much better job.

IMO, Duke did not bring their A game, it was cold and it looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but Ridley, A win is a win, now take this confidence and run the Patriot League
For my take, it doesn’t matter if Duke did not bring their A game or not. This has been a massive thorn in the side of the team for the past 6 years. Even when they had spencer and arguably better teams in 2017, 2018 and 2019 they lost.

2020 they spotted them 8 goals before scoring the first one.

2021 they SHOULD have won the game if there wasn’t that costly turnover

2022 I don’t give a dang if Duke didn’t get off the bus, it’s still a quality win, and they are close to being ranked again in the top 20.

They have a couple more chances of getting wins against top 20 opponents in army, BU, Georgetown, and navy if they beat hopkins on Friday for starters.
Amen

Don’t care about Dukes problems. We were dealing with our own and it looks like we were ready to be the better team yesterday and we were...

Team needed a solid win and they got it. Great to see some smiles as they left the field and as you note, many of our recent teams that we put on a pedestal couldn’t pull it together to beat Duke...including last year

Great win!

Time to move on, hope they can build off the good things and fix some of the things that didn’t go so well (late game execution)

On to Bucknell!

Hounds catch a break this week. Bucknell has to play Penn State today, after a tough loss to BU this past weekend, giving them a shorter week to prepare for the Hounds Saturday at Ridley.

PSU is far better than their record. I’d expect the Nittany Lions to control the FO today, and they can score. If Bucknell wins, I’d count that as an upset, but clearly they can do it, I just don’t see it happening.

Presumably Charlie has a scout or three up at Bucknell today scoping out their plays.
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

Great game by the hounds, finally put a game together

I have just one observation that I thought was telling in the game, Duke in the fourth quarter gave their 3rd middie line an opportunity to take some runs against us. Donowski gave them some meaning play time in a game at that point was out of reach. And they proved to be capable and score some goals.

On the other hand, Loyola did not. I look at their roster and see that all 3 close defenders, the one sub, both LSMs and a ssdm will graduate next year. leaving a huge hole, leaving next season only 3 ssdms with experience. And at this point of the season, no subs have truly played. And with looking at the patriot league, there are no easy games. So it looks like a majority of the defense for next years team will see little or no game time this year. And the same with offense, they will have 5 returning, but there will be 4 or 5 that never played.

So where is the player development? I know some will say it occurs in practice, but you cannot recreate game speed and tempo in practice
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

loyola2025 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:01 am Great game by the hounds, finally put a game together

I have just one observation that I thought was telling in the game, Duke in the fourth quarter gave their 3rd middie line an opportunity to take some runs against us. Donowski gave them some meaning play time in a game at that point was out of reach. And they proved to be capable and score some goals.

On the other hand, Loyola did not. I look at their roster and see that all 3 close defenders, the one sub, both LSMs and a ssdm will graduate next year. leaving a huge hole, leaving next season only 3 ssdms with experience. And at this point of the season, no subs have truly played. And with looking at the patriot league, there are no easy games. So it looks like a majority of the defense for next years team will see little or no game time this year. And the same with offense, they will have 5 returning, but there will be 4 or 5 that never played.

So where is the player development? I know some will say it occurs in practice, but you cannot recreate game speed and tempo in practice

With the exception of our first game, the Maryland game, where we were the ones being blown out, there hasn’t been a game yet where the coaches could relax enough to play backups. The next-man-up philosophy is true in lacrosse…always be ready and make the best of any time you get. Maryland’s Daniel Kelly saw the field this weekend for basically the first time, and pumped in 4 goals. I’m sure Tillman’s will remember that when he makes a substitution again.

For Loyola’s remaining schedule, there are 3 games that possibly could be blowouts. I’d tell the backup players to be ready, practice hard, and when you get in, play smart and make plays. That’s the only answer outside of sporadic substitutions.

In any event, let’s focus on this season for now, Bucknell especially. The team made the turn with the Lafayette game. It carried over to Duke. They need to keep the ball rolling. No time for any let up.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:28 am
loyola2025 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:01 am Great game by the hounds, finally put a game together

With the exception of our first game, the Maryland game, where we were the ones being blown out, there hasn’t been a game yet where the coaches could relax enough to play backups. The next-man-up philosophy is true in lacrosse…always be ready and make the best of any time you get. Maryland’s Daniel Kelly saw the field this weekend for basically the first time, and pumped in 4 goals. I’m sure Tillman’s will remember that when he makes a substitution again.

For Loyola’s remaining schedule, there are 3 games that possibly could be blowouts. I’d tell the backup players to be ready, practice hard, and when you get in, play smart and make plays. That’s the only answer outside of sporadic substitutions.

In any event, let’s focus on this season for now, Bucknell especially. The team made the turn with the Lafayette game. It carried over to Duke. They need to keep the ball rolling. No time for any let up.
Wow win one game and now talking about 3 possible blow outs.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

lorin wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:08 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:28 am

Wow win one game and now talking about 3 possible blow outs.

I didn’t write that carefully enough, because I’m not sold on our collective ability, yet.

Looking at our remaining schedule, there are only three games where *if* the starters play really well, the backup players could see good time. However, that’s only if the starters play well. And those are the only games I see that are even remotely possible for others to see time.

I’d add that the coaches are going to be leery substituting too much seeing how we allowed a 10-2 game to end up only 12-10.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

On the notion of these players graduating, I have it on good authority that 3 poles will be returning next year, 4-5 SSDM’s come back. The ones will actually exhaust all their eligibility will be McNulty and shafer which are two very important pieces to the defense.

Offensively, lose olmstead, lindley and wigley to graduation. But there is still a cupboard of talent to organically replicate the production.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Bucknell with a big win over Penn State. Hounds best be focused and ready.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:20 am Bucknell with a big win over Penn State. Hounds best be focused and ready.

I’m really surprised Bucknell could beat PSU. No real edge to either team in goalie play or FO’s.

I think this will be a great game for the Hounds.
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:49 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:20 am Bucknell with a big win over Penn State. Hounds best be focused and ready.

I’m really surprised Bucknell could beat PSU. No real edge to either team in goalie play or FO’s.

Cannot take Bucknell lightly, especially with the lack of consistency that we have shown. They are playing with confidence and are extremely dangerous
I
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Loyolalax wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:03 pm

Cannot take Bucknell lightly, especially with the lack of consistency that we have shown. They are playing with confidence and are extremely dangerous
I

Bucknell-Loyola have always been great games. I don’t think anyone takes them lightly.

But you do know we just beat Duke, right? It’s not like we are second fiddle here.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:13 pm

I

Bucknell-Loyola have always been great games. I don’t think anyone takes them lightly.

But you do know we just beat Duke, right? It’s not like we are second fiddle here.
I think the problem here PB is that we have absolutely no idea what version of the team is going to play each weekend. Will they play like how they did against Duke Rutgers? Or show up like what they did against towson.

Laxrederence even pointed out that if the team won out all of their games from now on in the regular season but lose in the PL tourney, they would not be getting an at large bud
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:58 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:13 pm

I

I think the problem here PB is that we have absolutely no idea what version of the team is going to play each weekend. Will they play like how they did against Duke Rutgers? Or show up like what they did against towson.

Laxrederence even pointed out that if the team won out all of their games from now on in the regular season but lose in the PL tourney, they would not be getting an at large bud

We know which hounds team is gonna show! The same one that turned the season corner at Lafayette.

Good off-ball movement on offense.

Great FO work.

McNulty feeling it.

Shafer seeing the ball.

Defense being men.

Everyone ready, bench, starters, running at 110%.

As Tom Brady says, LFG!!!
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

2-4 team vs 6-1 team
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Turnandrake wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:44 pm 2-4 team vs 6-1 team
Bucknell may beat Loyola on Saturday...but the record comparison doesn’t quite work when you do the “who have they played” comparison. SOS isn’t even close...at all

Loyola SOS - 6
Bucknell SOS - 51

Should be a good game on Saturday.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

The Hounds can't afford to take Bucknell lightly, but the Bison are overrated. Their first 5 games were against weak teams that have a combined 9 wins. I watched the Bucknell/BU and Bucknell/PSU games and was not impressed by Bucknell. PSU was missing 7 offensive players in this game, yet it was still close. If Wyers can work his usual magic and shut down Davis (leads the nation in goals) and the Hounds can play 4 complete quarters, we should be fine.

There. I've done it. I've jinxed us.

It will be 75 degrees on Saturday and Ridley will be rocking!

Oh, and regarding the inconsistency, I agree that the same Hounds team didn't show up for Towson and Lafayette as did for Rutgers and Duke; however, I think our biggest issue is consistency within a game. Leaving MD aside, we have blown a second-half lead in every game except Towson, where it was tied. I hope the staff is able figure out what's going on with the late-game let downs.

And finally, in terms of personnel, we definitely played a smaller number of guys against Duke, but that may be just because Seay and Bateman were out. Does anyone know their status?
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

GreyingHound wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:07 pm
The Hounds can't afford to take Bucknell lightly, but the Bison are overrated. Their first 5 games were against weak teams that have a combined 9 wins. I watched the Bucknell/BU and Bucknell/PSU games and was not impressed by Bucknell. PSU was missing 7 offensive players in this game, yet it was still close. If Wyers can work his usual magic and shut down Davis (leads the nation in goals) and the Hounds can play 4 complete quarters, we should be fine.

There. I've done it. I've jinxed us.

It will be 75 degrees on Saturday and Ridley will be rocking!

Oh, and regarding the inconsistency, I agree that the same Hounds team didn't show up for Towson and Lafayette as did for Rutgers and Duke; however, I think our biggest issue is consistency within a game. Leaving MD aside, we have blown a second-half lead in every game except Towson, where it was tied. I hope the staff is able figure out what's going on with the late-game let downs.

And finally, in terms of personnel, we definitely played a smaller number of guys against Duke, but that may be just because Seay and Bateman were out. Does anyone know their status?
Still excited about the Duke win. This team needed a positive shot in the arm and earned the W

I expect the number of players in the rotation to tighten up, not expand. At this point, unless something crazy happens or injury, it’s clear that your attack unit is Olmstead, Lindley, and Kamish and that’s the group the staff wants there...

Line 1 is locked in with James, Poitras, and Higgins
Line 2 is starting to see a primary group of Binney, Wigley, and Lindsey...with Heuston, Bateman, and Seay also part of the conversation.

I have not heard anything about Seay or Bateman...didn’t know they were not available. Something to watch for sure

Sat is an important game...they all are. Bucknell will come ready to play...but so will the Hounds

As far as consistency...in the Duke game, the last 7 minutes was more the case of three things IMO

1 - Loyola was simply trying to burn clock on offense so up 5-6-7 goals, they got very conservative by choice and it cost them a little because...2 - we went on a dry spell at the face off dot and Duke won a bunch in a row in Q4 which hurt and feed the third issue...3 - Our goaltending which was good for three quarters really went south with 7 minutes to go...these three things combined led to a bad last 6-7 minutes. If you win a couple face offs or make a save or two, that late run never gets that close...

I would think all those things were addressed and hopefully we tighten up the late game stuff

Saturday will be fun

Go Hounds
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

:roll:
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:51 pm
Turnandrake wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:44 pm 2-4 team vs 6-1 team
Bucknell may beat Loyola on Saturday...but the record comparison doesn’t quite work when you do the “who have they played” comparison. SOS isn’t even close...at all

Loyola SOS - 6
Bucknell SOS - 51

Should be a good game on Saturday.
Watch Bucknell Boston U game. Stats pretty much equal except at the fogo position. If Loyola wins most FO could be a long day for the bison.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

I think what loyola2025 was saying is that the importance of developing players and putting them into meaningful situations. I went back and watch the Duke game and he was correct that Donowski played his third line in a critical situation. He has a point.

Second, in regards of returning players, I have not heard that all the close D are coming back... I believe Hughes is a grad student and I dont believe he has any eligibility. could be wrong. Leblanc is a grad student also, I believe this is his 5th year also.

Bateman and Seay are healthy, MVA just did not play them, not sure why

Agree with most, except PB, not sure what team will show up. Loyola opponents are 29-16, while Bucknell's are 16-29.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:18 pm I think what loyola2025 was saying is that the importance of developing players and putting them into meaningful situations. I went back and watch the Duke game and he was correct that Donowski played his third line in a critical situation. He has a point.

Second, in regards of returning players, I have not heard that all the close D are coming back... I believe Hughes is a grad student and I dont believe he has any eligibility. could be wrong. Leblanc is a grad student also, I believe this is his 5th year also.
It's a valid point about player development, but the pandemic has really turned things upside down. In general, if a player is listed on the roster as a junior, they have 2 years of eligibility left, and seniors have 1 year left. It's true though that Danowski reached to his bench late in the game, down by 9, and they delivered. Not only did that give Duke a shot at winning the game, but imagine the message it sent to the 1st and 2nd midfields. I'm sure Toomey will have a chance to clear the bench at a minimum against Holy Cross.

As to why Duke was so effective in the final 8 minutes, I agree with the points made by LaxFan#1969, except for the comment about goaltending. Sam made 5 of his 8 saves in the 4th quarter. I think the real issue was that Duke was able to get 11 shots on goal in the quarter. I wonder if it had something to do with not having scouted Duke's 3rd midfield and not knowing their tendencies, strong hand, etc.
laxbro11 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:18 pm Bateman and Seay are healthy, MVA just did not play them, not sure why
Seay has been nursing an injury all season. I looked for him on the sideline, and unless I missed him, he was not in uniform on Sunday. I didn't realize until I got home and looked at the box score that Bateman did not play either, so not sure if he was dressed or not.
laxbro11 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:18 pm Agree with most, except PB, not sure what team will show up. Loyola opponents are 29-16, while Bucknell's are 16-29.
And take away BU, whom Bucknell lost to, and the opponents they beat are 11-29.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”