Towson

D1 Mens Lacrosse
sc lax

Re: Towson

Post by sc lax »

This team was not ready to play at all today, just an all around ugly performance. Offense is back to not valuing the ball. Only 2 weeks to figure it out, against 2 teams that are only going to make things harder.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Did not like the travel plan. Left early am. I get game was moved up a day. Those 2-3 hour bus drives hurt. That being said thought total effort was average at best. Put it behind and look forward to Duke in our nations Capital next sat.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Yeah the travel plan threw a wrench into things, but there's enough upperclassmen on the team where that shouldn't be a problem. The inconsistencies of the last few year were present again yesterday, and the team that showed up yesterday can not show up again.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

The travel change did suck, but again, same issue would have persisted at the X. Not sure this team is good enough. Defenses have figured out Berkeley and DeMaio. Take away DeMaio's left hand and double Berkeley and force him left. I thought adding Chop Gallagher late in the game should have taken place earlier. Passing was horrific yesterday. The first quarter passing against Richmond was the best I've seen from this team in years. We are certainly capable but we really forced it at the crease when it needed the perfect pass to thread it. There's no way this team should ever score one goal in a half. Maybe it's being flat or not ready, but last week, we were down 5-1 against UMBC and I heard the tired excuse.

Teams are extending on us. Not sure why we don't move Milani back to attack. He's not a middie. He's a goal scorer. Maybe rotate Shilling and Gallagher on attack and go with the hotter player. Move DeMaio to midfield with Berkeley and Bender. Move Swain to the second midfield, which is tiny, but they have some ball carriers. He might fit better with Reid and Webber. Is Ducommun hurt? I knew he had some struggles but that dude is so big and is a problem for shorties. Time to adjust before conference play. Do something different that Duke and Denver hasn't seen on tape.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Math1234 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:30 pm The travel change did suck, but again, same issue would have persisted at the X. Not sure this team is good enough. Defenses have figured out Berkeley and DeMaio. Take away DeMaio's left hand and double Berkeley and force him left. I thought adding Chop Gallagher late in the game should have taken place earlier. Passing was horrific yesterday. The first quarter passing against Richmond was the best I've seen from this team in years. We are certainly capable but we really forced it at the crease when it needed the perfect pass to thread it. There's no way this team should ever score one goal in a half. Maybe it's being flat or not ready, but last week, we were down 5-1 against UMBC and I heard the tired excuse.

Teams are extending on us. Not sure why we don't move Milani back to attack. He's not a middie. He's a goal scorer. Maybe rotate Shilling and Gallagher on attack and go with the hotter player. Move DeMaio to midfield with Berkeley and Bender. Move Swain to the second midfield, which is tiny, but they have some ball carriers. He might fit better with Reid and Webber. Is Ducommun hurt? I knew he had some struggles but that dude is so big and is a problem for shorties. Time to adjust before conference play. Do something different that Duke and Denver hasn't seen on tape.
One of the main things that is concerning, and has been concerning for a few years now, is the lack of dodging and ball carrying ability on offense. This team really doesn't have a true dodger outside of Berkeley, and Avanzato can carry the ball. Milani needs to be used more in an off ball role, where he does not have to dodge or carry the ball. Webber is promising with his speed, keep giving him opportunities. They need another answer at d mid, because there are way too many easy goals that have been given up so far this year.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

I watched Friday’s game in person and had the same observations. Didn’t see anyone who requires an early slide. D is legit. 26 in particular.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

The first and second midfield needs a playing time adjustment. The second midfield plays too much. Especially if you look at point production. No way this program should lose to SJ. I don’t care who they played or who is the FOGO. Demaio needs tighten up his shooting, to many careless shots. Offense needs to pick it up. Move the ball, move your feet. Lots of stagnation with standing still, force feeding the crease. They have enough productive players on offense. Dodge, drive the ball to X, look backside. Just play smarter and faster without hesitation. Shots on goal is an important stat. They have to hit the goal in order to go in. Shoot with purpose not just to take a shot. Anyone watch the Syracuse game? They couldn’t hit a barn. People are giving Kirson credit, and he deserves some. However, just like Towson vs SJ, SU shots on goal stat was very poor.
Laxhog

Post by Laxhog »

Well the second line did produce 7 points(goals/assists), and the first line had Zero points :roll:
laxfan345

Post by laxfan345 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:04 am Anyone watch the Syracuse game? They couldn’t hit a barn.
"Cuse hit 8 pipes in the game. I'd say their shooting was pretty good.

And if you aren't happy with the play from Towson, fair. No need to knock St, Joes. Hawks came out and executed their game plan and won. You may not like it but the Hawks were the better team on Friday
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Laxhog wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:15 am Well the second line did produce 7 points(goals/assists), and the first line had Zero points :roll:
They had a few late vs SJ. But, for as much playing time they receive there should be more production. Not saying they should not play.
Last edited by Mr3Putt on Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

laxfan345 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:25 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:04 am Anyone watch the Syracuse game? They couldn’t hit a barn.
"Cuse hit 8 pipes in the game. I'd say their shooting was pretty good.

And if you aren't happy with the play from Towson, fair. No need to knock St, Joes. Hawks came out and executed their game plan and won. You may not like it but the Hawks were the better team on Friday
SJ won the game. Good for them. SJ has a tilted field w a special FOGO. They have several more possessions then the opponent. As far as Syracuse, they took 54 shots, 21 were on the goal. And, your saying 8 hit the pipe. That’s not a good day if you can’t hit the goal more then 21 times.
Laxhog

Post by Laxhog »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:41 am
Laxhog wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:15 am Well the second line did produce 7 points(goals/assists), and the first line had Zero points :roll:
They had a few late vs SJ. But, for as much playing time they receive there should be more production. Not saying they should not play.
I agree the first line should be playing the majority of possessions, but when they produce nothing the entire game, it's hard to justify not trying something different. I count it as just a fluke of a game, the 1's will step it up vs. Duke!!
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Agree 100 percent with most said.
1) Top Offensive mids need to play more
2) We should slide sometimes when ball comes from X
ON to DC, Wish Duke won last weekl
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Laxhog wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:05 pm
I agree the first line should be playing the majority of possessions, but when they produce nothing the entire game, it's hard to justify not trying something different. I count it as just a fluke of a game, the 1's will step it up vs. Duke!!
Mixing it up is what I would do, but the first line is about Berkeley and who surrounds him. I'm moving Milani back to attack. Second unit did score some late goals when it was out of reach. Bottom line is they scored and maybe got some confidence. The status quo is not what's going to win the CAA.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Math1234 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:39 pm
Mixing it up is what I would do, but the first line is about Berkeley and who surrounds him. I'm moving Milani back to attack. Second unit did score some late goals when it was out of reach. Bottom line is they scored and maybe got some confidence. The status quo is not what's going to win the CAA.
Who would you bench for Milani?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

sc lax wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:40 pm
Why don’t they team up DiMaio and Berkeley on 1st line
middie, or split DiMaio and Berkeley into two strong
midfields that can push on offense and run the other
team ragged.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:45 pm
team ragged.
I'm not so sure that there's another capable lefty to put on attack. But they have 2 weeks to figure it out, after Duke's loss to Loyola it would just be encouraging to see Towson give the Blue Devils a fight. The following week Denver will be another desperate team. But the only thing that matters is figuring out how to get better before CAA play. After not making the CAA tourney last year you would think this squad would have a chip on their shoulder heading into league play.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

sc lax wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:52 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:45 pm
team ragged.
I'm not so sure that there's another capable lefty to put on attack. But they have 2 weeks to figure it out, after Duke's loss to Loyola it would just be encouraging to see Towson give the Blue Devils a fight. The following week Denver will be another desperate team. But the only thing that matters is figuring out how to get better before CAA play. After not making the CAA tourney last year you would think this squad would have a chip on their shoulder heading into league play.
Milani scored 23 goals on 57 shots (40%) last season as a freshman on attack with Brody McLean and Avanzato. Either move DeMaio to midfield (he has played that position) or move Schilling to midfield. Other than Avanzato, what player on attack has cemented his status as a consistent starter? I guess you can say DeMaio until the last few games and they've used Gallagher, Shilling and Bode Mauer on attack with some measure of success. When you look at who has more success than those three with Avanzato, it's Milani. This season, he has five goals in 7 games on 24 shots (21%).
cutiger

Post by cutiger »

Head scratcher for sure on why Milani is not at attack. At least rotate him in at attack. He can't score if he's not on the field!
Doesn't matter who you move, but just move someone so this guy can be on the field.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Demaio is not a midfielder! Shilling can play both attack & midfield. And it’s a not a cure all, but Milani is very good 15 yds & in -around the goal. But, he should probably get some pt @ attack.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”