Post by faircornell »

Six Ivies in Quint's top twenty:

3. Penn
4. Princeton
6. Cornell
11. Yale
15. Brown
16. Harvard
Last edited by faircornell on Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by faircornell »

Duplicate
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:18 pm My thoughts on possible Ivy weekly honors:

POW:

Matt Brandau, Yale: 8 points vs Denver
Nick Loring, Harvard: 7 points vs Michigan
Coulter Mackesy, Princeton: 6 points vs Rutgers

ROW:

Coulter Mackesy, Princeton: 6 points vs Rutgers
Owen Gaffney, Harvard: 5 points vs Michigan
CJ Kirst, Cornell: 4 points vs PSU
Leo Johnson, Yale: 3 points vs Denver

Possible goalies in the mix:
Daniel Hinks, Dartmouth: 74% vs Vermont
Erik Peters, Princeton: 66% vs Rutgers
Patrick Burkinshaw: 65% vs Villinova
Princeton in a clean sweep.

Peters: POW
Mackesy: ROW
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Whoda thunk that Yale might be in a dogfight for the final ILT slot? Yet I'd agree with the polls that, at this point, Princeton/Cornell/Penn all look a little stronger than Yale (I'd put Princeton as the first among equals as against Cornell and Penn although 'on any given day'), with Yale/Brown/Harvard potentially battling it out for spot #4 and everyone being advised not to sleep on Dartmouth.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:00 am
faircornell wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:19 pm Brutal Ivy week ahead:

Yale at Cornell

Brown at Harvard

Princeton at Penn

St John's at Dartmouth
To pick a nit, it's Penn at Princeton. Teams definitely want to win their home games, and pick up at least one road conference win. Six Ivy teams play Saturday, and at least two of them won't make the IL15T. But Dartmouth doesn't have a brutal week ahead: should take care of business against St. John's.
Wow. Yale at Cornell, Penn at Princeton, Brown at Harvard. So in MY poll its, 3 vs 10, 5 vs 4, and 9 vs 15. I dare say that besides maybe the semi's of the ILT that this could arguably be the greatest day for IVY lax. All these 6 teams are playing lights out. What a day for a fan of IVY LAX. Win or lose for your team, this is still a special day for us IVY league fans and alums.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:12 pm Whoda thunk that Yale might be in a dogfight for the final ILT slot? Yet I'd agree with the polls that, at this point, Princeton/Cornell/Penn all look a little stronger than Yale (I'd put Princeton as the first among equals as against Cornell and Penn although 'on any given day'), with Yale/Brown/Harvard potentially battling it out for spot #4 and everyone being advised not to sleep on Dartmouth.
In early February, Yale was selected as the Ivy pre-season favorite: https://ivyleague.com/news/2022/2/2/yal ... orite.aspx
Heading into Ivy play, Cornell is undefeated, while all other Ivies have just one loss. Yes, Yale might be in a dogfight for the final ILT slot; then again, the same might be said about any Ivy team that loses this Saturday. League play is a whole new season and it seems to me that every team will have to prove itself every week in games where teams' national rankings mean nothing. Don't sleep on Dartmouth, don't sleep on anyone. We've had to wait too long for this.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:49 pm
The Orfling wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:12 pm Whoda thunk that Yale might be in a dogfight for the final ILT slot? Yet I'd agree with the polls that, at this point, Princeton/Cornell/Penn all look a little stronger than Yale (I'd put Princeton as the first among equals as against Cornell and Penn although 'on any given day'), with Yale/Brown/Harvard potentially battling it out for spot #4 and everyone being advised not to sleep on Dartmouth.
In early February, Yale was selected as the Ivy pre-season favorite: https://ivyleague.com/news/2022/2/2/yal ... orite.aspx
Heading into Ivy play, Cornell is undefeated, while all other Ivies have just one loss. Yes, Yale might be in a dogfight for the final ILT slot; then again, the same might be said about any Ivy team that loses this Saturday. League play is a whole new season and it seems to me that every team will have to prove itself every week in games where teams' national rankings mean nothing. Don't sleep on Dartmouth, don't sleep on anyone. We've had to wait too long for this.
I like it, Fann! IVY LEAGUE LAX 2021 #Don'tSleepOnAnyone (let's get some merch going)
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Fannolax: You make a great point. If one assumes that a 4-2 record in the Ivies gets you Into the ILT, each loss really matters. The last full Ivy season, as I recall, 6-0, 5-1, 4-2 and 3-3 were in (I am doing this from memory, and could be wrong). I don't know if any Ivy team will go 6-0 this year, but with six Ivy teams in the top 20 thus far, it will be extremely competitive.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:57 pm
Fannolax: You make a great point. If one assumes that a 4-2 record in the Ivies gets you Into the ILT, each loss really matters. The last full Ivy season, as I recall, 6-0, 5-1, 4-2 and 3-3 were in (I am doing this from memory, and could be wrong). I don't know if any Ivy team will go 6-0 this year, but with six Ivy teams in the top 20 thus far, it will be extremely competitive.
3-3 sometimes results in a tie breaker.
“I wish you would!”
CU77

Post by CU77 »

3-3 usually gets in; historically, it's happened something like 5 out of 6 times* when there was a 3-3 team. Penn a few years back was the first 3-3 team to miss out.

*EDIT: it's been 4 out of 6.

If the league was "well ordered", meaning if A beats B and B beats C, then A beats C, the records would be 6-0, 5-1, 4-2, 3-3, 2-4, 1-5, 0-6, and 3-3 gets in.
Last edited by CU77 on Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Big Green could be the IL tourney determinant this year. Let's face it, for the last x years the rest of the league could pencil in a W that week. No more. So who they knock off they will probably also knock out.
Cornell, Yale, Penn, are their home games.
Typical Lax Dad

CU77 wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:10 am 3-3 usually gets in; historically, it's happened something like 5 out of 6 times when there was a 3-3 team. Penn a few years back was the first 3-3 team to miss out.

If the league was "well ordered", meaning if A beats B and B beats C, then A beats C, the records would be 6-0, 5-1, 4-2, 3-3, 2-4, 1-5, 0-6, and 3-3 gets in.
Princeton was out at 3-3 in 2018 also.
“I wish you would!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:25 am Big Green could be the IL tourney determinant this year. Let's face it, for the last x years the rest of the league could pencil in a W that week. No more. So who they knock off they will probably also knock out.
Great point. The Big Green and their superstar goalie are poised to make lots of noise this Ivy season, and not just simply knocking a team out, BUT also making a run themselves to get qualified.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:25 am Big Green could be the IL tourney determinant this year. Let's face it, for the last x years the rest of the league could pencil in a W that week. No more. So who they knock off they will probably also knock out.
In 2010, Big Green goalie, Fergus Campbell, was a spoiler of sorts in the Ivy League. He stood on his head and led an upset of a Final Four bound Cornell team.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Following up on a few previous posts...

In 2018, Princeton and Penn both finished 3-3 conference records; Penn went to the ILT and Princeton didn't, with an educated guess being that Penn went based on having won the head-to-head game against Princeton.

This year promises a conference gauntlet for all Ivy teams, and I don't think anyone will go undefeated in conference play. Looking back, in 2016 Brown was undefeated in conference play but lost in the ILT semi-finals; Yale was undefeated in 2018 but fell to Cornell in the ILT final. In 2019, Penn was undefeated and took the ILT crown (beating Brown by a goal in the semi's and Yale by a goal in the final). Speaking of the ILT, still no word from the powers that be if it will be hosted by the regular season champ, by Columbia or what. You'd hope they make an announcement before conference play begins.
Typical Lax Dad

FannOLax wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:47 am Following up on a few previous posts...

In 2018, Princeton and Penn both finished 3-3 conference records; Penn went to the ILT and Princeton didn't, with an educated guess being that Penn went based on having won the head-to-head game against Princeton.

This year promises a conference gauntlet for all Ivy teams, and I don't think anyone will go undefeated in conference play. Looking back, in 2016 Brown was undefeated in conference play but lost in the ILT semi-finals; Yale was undefeated in 2018 but fell to Cornell in the ILT final. In 2019, Penn was undefeated and took the ILT crown (beating Brown by a goal in the semi's and Yale by a goal in the final). Speaking of the ILT, still no word from the powers that be if it will be hosted by the regular season champ, by Columbia or what. You'd hope they make an announcement before conference play begins.
https://ivyleague.com/standings.aspx?standings=1091

Strange season. Penn beat Dartmouth in OT to seal a spot.
“I wish you would!”
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

All of the Ivy games this weekend will be battles, with the three conference games having impact both on the ILT and on NCAA Tournament resumes. Of particular interest is the Harvard Brown game. Both teams are looking generally strong, with Harvard gaining a signature win last weekend and Brown playing consistently well. Brown looks slightly stronger on the goal tending side, but (absent the OSU game) Kyle Mullin has been above 50% in save percentage for Harvard. Brown has done better in points per game, but Harvard clearly turned on its offense against Michigan. Both coaches are veterans and likely have created great game plans. Both teams have tough defenses. Harvard Stadium can be an imposing venue to younger players, and home field advantage with cold weather aids the Crimson. I would not be surprised if the game resulted in less than 25 total goals, and possibly under 20 total goals.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:55 pm All of the Ivy games this weekend will be battles, with the three conference games having impact both on the ILT and on NCAA Tournament resumes. Of particular interest is the Harvard Brown game. Both teams are looking generally strong, with Harvard gaining a signature win last weekend and Brown playing consistently well. Brown looks slightly stronger on the goal tending side, but (absent the OSU game) Kyle Mullin has been above 50% in save percentage for Harvard. Brown has done better in points per game, but Harvard clearly turned on its offense against Michigan. Both coaches are veterans and likely have created great game plans. Both teams have tough defenses. Harvard Stadium can be an imposing venue to younger players, and home field advantage with cold weather aids the Crimson. I would not be surprised if the game resulted in less than 25 total goals, and possibly under 20 total goals.
Is the bubble off at Harvard?
Might be just off now...
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:41 am
faircornell wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:55 pm All of the Ivy games this weekend will be battles, with the three conference games having impact both on the ILT and on NCAA Tournament resumes. Of particular interest is the Harvard Brown game. Both teams are looking generally strong, with Harvard gaining a signature win last weekend and Brown playing consistently well. Brown looks slightly stronger on the goal tending side, but (absent the OSU game) Kyle Mullin has been above 50% in save percentage for Harvard. Brown has done better in points per game, but Harvard clearly turned on its offense against Michigan. Both coaches are veterans and likely have created great game plans. Both teams have tough defenses. Harvard Stadium can be an imposing venue to younger players, and home field advantage with cold weather aids the Crimson. I would not be surprised if the game resulted in less than 25 total goals, and possibly under 20 total goals.
Is the bubble off at Harvard?
Might be just off now...
70+ degrees on Friday
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

My Brown/Harvard prediction: team with fewer Turnovers wins. Think Brown has a better roster and more experienced players, but if they go on a sloppy streak, Harvard should take it. *If Brown's FO man is out, lean Harvard.

Brown/Harvard: Coin flip

Cornell/Yale: Cornell 14 Yale 9. Like Petrakis, home field, and the Cornell squad top to bottom. Maybe this flips in the ILT as Yale's young pups get more experience.

Princeton/Penn: Tigers 15 Quakers 13. Think Princeton controls this most of the way and Penn backdoor covers to get close in the end.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”