Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:26 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:22 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:54 am Hey, he was a great player and the first 8 years of his coaching tenure were terrific.
But he also tortured us for years with passive defense, horrendous ssdm play, and awful goalie play.
And all we got from him were excuses. And yes, I'm bitter about it.
At least this staff fixes their problems on the field.
Yes the clearing is still an adventure, but I think it's fixable. The style of defense is paying dividends.
You can feel hopeful about this team, whereas in 2020 if felt like the wheels had fallen off the cart and the program was in disarray.
That's all great but "good riddance" is an unnecessary shot and just disrespectful to a guy who did a lot for this program. He's gone and has been gone for two years now. We don't need to be making comments like that.
Let me double down on that. Good Riddance Petro!
Didn't you just say before it wasn't the coach's fault (JGJr) the offense can't score goals?

:?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Considering all the failed clears and losing faceoffs, offense seemed to do a fine job of scoring goals when they had the ball yesterday.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Catbird wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:28 am Didn't look like a cross check or anything, Curry initiated contact McManus just pushed him aside with the butt end of his stick. :lol:
It was a technical 30 sec penalty, so had to have been called a push basically. Crosscheck sure gets you a minute. But it sure didn't look very from behind from my vantage in the stands.

There were plenty of times we didn't end up getting a loose ball push in our favor as well that other days might have been called. Granted I didn't actually much disagree with those as it often seemed we were being a little extra floppy on some and looking for it. Pretty sure we got away with a non-consequential offside later in the game so I guess they gave us one back at least there that kept us out of the box for 30.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:39 am Pretty sure we got away with a non-consequential offside later in the game so I guess they gave us one back at least there that kept us out of the box for 30.
They did indeed. Not claiming bias, just wonder what they're looking at sometimes.

Deso indeed got what he deserved on his. He was definitely aware the timer was expiring when he restarted with the ball and had 5 seconds to chuck it, and inexplicably waited until after the horn to chuck it anyway. Just inexcusable.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:39 am
Catbird wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:28 am Didn't look like a cross check or anything, Curry initiated contact McManus just pushed him aside with the butt end of his stick. :lol:
It was a technical 30 sec penalty, so had to have been called a push basically. Crosscheck sure gets you a minute. But it sure didn't look very from behind from my vantage in the stands.

There were plenty of times we didn't end up getting a loose ball push in our favor as well that other days might have been called. Granted I didn't actually much disagree with those as it often seemed we were being a little extra floppy on some and looking for it. Pretty sure we got away with a non-consequential offside later in the game so I guess they gave us one back at least there that kept us out of the box for 30.
That one looked like an offside but I believe the subs hadn't yet entered the defensive zone so it was the 5th and 6th guys briefly crossing the line, not the 6th and 7th. Could be wrong.

And yep, the call on McManus was a push, not a cross-check. He got flagged for being stronger than the guy he was covering. It was obvious in realtime but the replay confirmed it was not in the back. When you get shoved in the back, you fall forward, not to the side.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You're right HF 16 - got my timing of the calls mixed up.

Catbird - I thought at first the illegal pick call was bogus in real time but when they slowed it down a bit Jaronski (I think) was moving big time - good call - another undisciplined approach which is what disappointed me most about yesterday.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:12 am
You really can’t do this.

Pietramala is one of the greatest players and coaches the game has ever seen. He’s not just a legend at Hopkins, but a legend of the sport. They will still be talking about the guy a century from now if lacrosse is still being played (and our android masters permit it).

Show some proper respect, please.

DocBarrister :?
Wow. Surprised you're defending Petro. I seem to recall that you complained about his passive defense 15 times a week for years.
Now we've got an aggressive take away defense. Aren't you ecstatic?
Are you not overjoyed that Petro is now coaching elsewhere?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:47 am You're right HF 16 - got my timing of the calls mixed up.

Catbird - I thought at first the illegal pick call was bogus in real time but when they slowed it down a bit Jaronski (I think) was moving big time - good call - another undisciplined approach which is what disappointed me most about yesterday.
Fair enough, I have not seen the replay. In real time from the 50 it seemed like he was in position waiting for the pick for a long time before #35 barreled straight into him.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:47 am You're right HF 16 - got my timing of the calls mixed up.

you'd rather they stay 100% set, obviously. 2 things can change a pick man's mindset if the pick isn't set real close to a relatively stationary defender. one, he's not on the right path of the defender now moving. tries to adjust last second. or two, he is on the right path and the guy's trucking and he knows he's going to get blown up and even in a minor way moves to protect himself.

throw in it's a call refs love to make almost more than any other if they see any movement. hoops refs have generally let a lot of it go in recent years. lax the opposite.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:40 am
you'd rather they stay 100% set, obviously. 2 things can change a pick man's mindset if the pick isn't set real close to a relatively stationary defender. one, he's not on the right path of the defender now moving. tries to adjust last second. or two, he is on the right path and the guy's trucking and he knows he's going to get blown up and even in a minor way moves to protect himself.

throw in it's a call refs love to make almost more than any other if they see any movement. hoops refs have generally let a lot of it go in recent years. lax the opposite.
Don't know which case it was without the replay, but #35 was certainly trucking and it looked like whether Jaronski's feet moved a little bit or not he was in position well before the collision. Seemed like bailing out Cuse for something they could have easily avoided at the time. Couple that with McManus' penalty and a few cheap ones that Cuse got away with (late hit on Peshko was one, questionable blind side loose ball hit in the first half was another), ongoing complaints of Homerwood are laughable (saw that a few times reading the Cuse gamethread last night). I know Brian Abbott from St. Paul's way back when; dude has never been a friend of Hopkins and he refs about 50% of our games it seems like.
Last edited by Catbird on Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Look Sag - you are welcome to your position that you are glad Petro is coaching elsewhere. You probably thought he could play when he helped Hopkins win a title in 87 and played a fantastic game against an incredible opponent in 89. You also probably thought he could coach when he won titles in '05 and '07 and came reasonably close in '03 and '08. You could voice a more pleasant opinion then the one chosen. No matter what you think the reasons are - the landscape has changed dramatically in the last 20 years and few of them are in Hopkins favor. He made two choices that can be called into question IMO - the decision to early recruit to the max and the decision to be both the DC and the head coach. The second worked for a while but he had exceptional talent during that time. I can understand why he thought early recruiting was the way to go but he lost discipline in implementation again IMO. He did not forget how to coach. To use the Bill Parcells analogy he bought the groceries and also made the meal - the biggest problem was the shopping and/or what produce he could find.

That being said - Hopkins owes him a great deal of gratitude but that's it- and to JHU '06 while it might have been nice to do a hockey tribute thing you need your players to focus and play as hard as they can - they're young - you don't need them watching some video when you are just about to play a team for which he coaches. Plus - given it was weather and live on TV - you are cutting down the tree and seeing if anyone can hear it. Who cares? Dave certainly doesn't.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Seems like as smart people we should be able to hold two thoughts in our head at the same time. I'm both thankful for Petro's time leading the program, and also thankful we have some new blood. Very confident in Coach M. Yesterday was bittersweet. I want to see the guy succeed, but not wearing Orange. :lol:

Atleast they have one guy out there coaching on gameday. Gait looked like he was thinking about whether he should re-wear his suit out to Getrude's later.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:50 am
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:12 am
You really can’t do this.

Pietramala is one of the greatest players and coaches the game has ever seen. He’s not just a legend at Hopkins, but a legend of the sport. They will still be talking about the guy a century from now if lacrosse is still being played (and our android masters permit it).

Show some proper respect, please.

DocBarrister :?
Wow. Surprised you're defending Petro. I seem to recall that you complained about his passive defense 15 times a week for years.
Now we've got an aggressive take away defense. Aren't you ecstatic?
Are you not overjoyed that Petro is now coaching elsewhere?
Hey, I’ve never been a fan of his defensive style of play, but he did win two national championships as a head coach with it. He also won a national title as a player. That’s three more national championships than I have.

Petro is also frequently called the greatest defenseman of all time, and he is also the winningest Hopkins head coach of all time. I ain’t all-time anything.

So … gotta give the man some respect. I thought the decision to change coaches was a reasonable one (although I personally would have given Petro one more full season). Nevertheless, he ain’t Joe Average.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catbird wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:55 am Seems like as smart people we should be able to hold two thoughts in our head at the same time. I'm both thankful for Petro's time leading the program, and also thankful we have some new blood. Very confident in Coach M. Yesterday was bittersweet. I want to see the guy succeed, but not wearing Orange. :lol:

Atleast they have one guy out there coaching on gameday. Gait looked like he was thinking about whether he should re-wear his suit out to Getrude's later.
Gait's coaching style (or lack thereof?) is super interesting to me. I get that his reputation is to "roll the ball out and go play" and not to over-coach, which is great and can work very well, but I think he's really testing the limits of that strategy. If you were unfamiliar with that team and just watched the Cuse sideline, there is no way you'd know Gait was the head coach. He looks more like the trainer or an overdressed DOLO. Cuse fans are probably unbothered by it but if that were my coach, and we were losing games, it'd probably rub me the wrong way. You can be a "hands off" coach but still look like you're emotionally invested.

Agree 100% about Petro. I won't root for the Orange ever but I will be rooting for him personally, no matter what colors he wears, for as long as he's coaching.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:42 pm
Catbird wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:55 am Seems like as smart people we should be able to hold two thoughts in our head at the same time. I'm both thankful for Petro's time leading the program, and also thankful we have some new blood. Very confident in Coach M. Yesterday was bittersweet. I want to see the guy succeed, but not wearing Orange. :lol:

Gait's coaching style (or lack thereof?) is super interesting to me. I get that his reputation is to "roll the ball out and go play" and not to over-coach, which is great and can work very well, but I think he's really testing the limits of that strategy. If you were unfamiliar with that team and just watched the Cuse sideline, there is no way you'd know Gait was the head coach. He looks more like the trainer or an overdressed DOLO. Cuse fans are probably unbothered by it but if that were my coach, and we were losing games, it'd probably rub me the wrong way. You can be a "hands off" coach but still look like you're emotionally invested.

Agree 100% about Petro. I won't root for the Orange ever but I will be rooting for him personally, no matter what colors he wears, for as long as he's coaching.
There has been interesting discussion about it on the Syracuse fan forum. Some are disconcerted, most are in the benefit of the doubt phase (which is probably right take for being so early in his career). For my part, what fun is a rivalry if we can't get in our shots?

There is some smoke about him having blamed the talent level of his roster in deflection of media questions already a handful of times, and that type of buck-passing is never a good look for a HC, even if it may be somewhat true at this time.

Overall if anybody want's my useless prognostication though, I am skeptical the situation will work out as the Orange hope/expect.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I give orangeworld a lot of credit for covering their storied program with the attention that it deserves which is not the case from the sun/hopkinssports.com. They put the full post game press conference up where the players said that because of Petro they knew all of the hopkins tendencies, plays and had counter plays and weren't able to execute the game plan. There were moments in the game where I looked up and saw 3 orange shirts barreling down on a hopkins ssdm trying to clear which is a nightmare. I guess you can read that from a Hopkins perspective of PM being ahead of Gait in reloading the roster.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG0ilIhy148

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWyjt0Vdm3Q
PM's post game comments he mentions he's happy w/being outshot b/c it means the offense was efficient, what he doesn't note is that it's because the turnovers, clearing, faceoffs were so bad.

ESPN made a number of interesting choices yesterday. They have the onfield sound and could have isolated a camera on petro vs gait vs pm. One seems more animated than the others. Cutting away from the handshake line before Petro could shake hands w/his former guys was also a bad decision.

Epstein is an Alpha who has embraced his spot and this programs history from day one. I have no problem and even welcome penalties like that if it's part of the mentality of a guy who sets up angelus to get that key go ahead goal, beat a galloping lsm back in transition late helping to kill a cuse possession, and finishes the game w/the 10th goal not to mention everything else he does.

@AnishESPN I hope @jhumenslacrosse acknowledges the @CoachPetro43 in some meaningful way today. I know the fans will give him a warm welcome but I hope the school recognizes his accomplishments and contributions to JHU lacrosse.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:39 pm I give orangeworld a lot of credit for covering their storied program with the attention that it deserves which is not the case from the sun/hopkinssports.com.
Here you go again. Cue the Benny Hill theme song whenever you post. Cuse has a top-tier communications school along with hundreds (thousands?) of aspiring journalists and PR people on campus. They have three times as many undergrads as Hopkins does. Expecting our student coverage of the program to be the same is like asking Cuse's medical school to outperform Hopkins in brain surgery success rate. Syracuse doesn't have a medical school. Different universities, different strengths.

Also, you can't possibly be blaming the school for the Baltimore Sun's relative lack of coverage of lacrosse, can you? ~Nobody covers lacrosse consistently anymore~. I repeat, nobody. There is one lacrosse-only publication on the internet with full-time employees and they covered the game. What else do you want? Traditional newspaper journalism is a dying institution. No one is paying for lax coverage. There isn't a market for it. Cuse is an outlier because of their aforementioned media/comms emphasis and because, well, what else is there to talk about in western NY?

All of that being said, I noticed you ignored Mike Preston's article on the game in the Sun.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:39 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWyjt0Vdm3Q
PM's post game comments he mentions he's happy w/being outshot b/c it means the offense was efficient, what he doesn't note is that it's because the turnovers, clearing, faceoffs were so bad.
That is NOT what he said. Jesus. He said he'd rather be efficient on offense than take a million shots and be inefficient. Which, yes, that's generally correct. And it's what won the game in spite of the clearing/turnovers. That was his entire point.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:39 pmCutting away from the handshake line before Petro could shake hands w/his former guys was also a bad decision.
I agree with you on this. That was a criminal production decision. If you follow Cornell Willis on Instagram, he filmed some of it. About what you'd expect. Guys Petro recruited/coached got a hug (DeSo's looked like the longest) while Milliman's guys mostly got handshakes
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:39 pmEpstein is an Alpha who has embraced his spot and this programs history from day one. I have no problem and even welcome penalties like that if it's part of the mentality of a guy who sets up angelus to get that key go ahead goal, beat a galloping lsm back in transition late helping to kill a cuse possession, and finishes the game w/the 10th goal not to mention everything else he does.
Wow, two decent points from you back to back. What's going on? I didn't like the penalty but agree with the general sentiment about Epstein giving it his all yesterday.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:39 pm@AnishESPN I hope @jhumenslacrosse acknowledges the @CoachPetro43 in some meaningful way today. I know the fans will give him a warm welcome but I hope the school recognizes his accomplishments and contributions to JHU lacrosse.
With all due respect to Anish, I can do without the concern trolling about our program from Syracuse homers.

A lot of recent Petro guys were at the game yesterday in Hopkins blue — Shack Stanwick, Cole Williams, Kyle Marr, Nick Fields, Danny Jones, etc. I liked seeing that.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

If I were PM I would not be OK with my captain likely saying something about how lucky the ref's mother is - which is reasonable speculation as to why he got an unsportsmanlike. Put the team two men down - led to a goal - and if the Keystone cops don't bungle their way through the ensuing face-off and somehow get possession they could have been man down for another 30 seconds or so. That face-off and gb after it went back in the Hopkins end was a big play in that game. Overall Epstein played pretty well and I agree it is obvious he cares - he hates to lose. Still needs to clean up the turnovers and lead through other ways rather than giving the ref some ill advsed lip. If you're are going to take a minute non releasable at least have it be an energy play where you were trying to do something for your team (without trying to cheap shot anybody of course).

I'm getting old - I was pretty confident win or lose David would act with class and seeing him hug or not hug players does not make for great theater to me. ESPN production guys probably had basketball to think about - there's this little thing called March Madness starting up.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Here you go 06, here is your Super Bowl: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... o-homewood
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:55 am
HappyGilmore wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:28 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:22 pm Heck of an effort by the D today.
Now, if we can get just get Narewski back, figure out how to clear the ball, and DeSo can find his game somewhere this group could make some noise.
The penalty on the horn was just awful....nobody should be making that mistake at this level. His head was not in this game.
Kirson has taken his game to a new level. Hope he can keep it there.
Why does everyone on this thread blame the players regard the poor offensive production? Every week it’s a different players fault. Maybe it’s poor coaching??? Maybe Jr. Is the issue???
The coaches don't score goals.
So the coach has nothing to do with the offense? What scheme the team runs? Who is playing in the game? So you think Jr. Is doing a good job? You Millman is doing a good job? You think the team is behind the coaching staff?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”