Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:58 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:33 pm 7-1 hounds after 1
12-2 @ half
Nice.
16-6 final
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Loyola Greyhounds

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Nice test for the Hounds this Saturday at noon when Florida comes to Ridley. Florida owns a 6-2 edge all time but has dropped the last two. Gators don't have a ranked win this season. At 2-3, it will be interesting to see how they come out and what kind of game they play.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:15 am Nice test for the Hounds this Saturday at noon when Florida comes to Ridley. Florida owns a 6-2 edge all time but has dropped the last two. Gators don't have a ranked win this season. At 2-3, it will be interesting to see how they come out and what kind of game they play.
Hearing the game has been rescheduled to Friday at 6pm...a little bit of snow might be coming on Sat.... Well, not saying anything about warm blooded motivations and cold weather after recent posts... I will say that Ridley is the coldest spot in Bmore
OuttaNowhereWregget

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:20 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:15 am Nice test for the Hounds this Saturday at noon when Florida comes to Ridley. Florida owns a 6-2 edge all time but has dropped the last two. Gators don't have a ranked win this season. At 2-3, it will be interesting to see how they come out and what kind of game they play.
Hearing the game has been rescheduled to Friday at 6pm...a little bit of snow might be coming on Sat.... Well, not saying anything about warm blooded motivations and cold weather after recent posts... I will say that Ridley is the coldest spot in Bmore
Dynamite! That’ll make for interesting viewing after work tomorrow night instead of waiting for Saturday.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Few comments from the Florida game....Florida's team is coached to be very rough and to take dives....Wow. Not your Mamma's pretty game.

7 Yellows and 3 greens. Good ref crew that let the game get chippy then tried to reel it in. Frustrating to watch as the calls seemed to be inconsistent at best....

Loyola had one starter playing with a broken nose (from Georgetown game) and then lost #11 to an apparent ankle injury. Loyola really hurt themselves with the 4 yellows...sending #7 and #32 to early showers with 2 each.
fourtyfive

Post by fourtyfive »

You can’t be serious? That reffing was atrocious. The call on Reznick was soooo bad and same with the card on Pavinelli. Go watch a replay..
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

fourtyfive wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:07 pm You can’t be serious? That reffing was atrocious. The call on Reznick was soooo bad and same with the card on Pavinelli. Go watch a replay..
I am sorry. What I meant to say was that it was a crew made up of Refs that normally call good games. You are correct the referees were not good in the game. Very inconsistent.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:41 pm Few comments from the Florida game....Florida's team is coached to be very rough and to take dives....Wow. Not your Mamma's pretty game.

7 Yellows and 3 greens. Good ref crew that let the game get chippy then tried to reel it in. Frustrating to watch as the calls seemed to be inconsistent at best....

Loyola had one starter playing with a broken nose (from Georgetown game) and then lost #11 to an apparent ankle injury. Loyola really hurt themselves with the 4 yellows...sending #7 and #32 to early showers with 2 each.
I thought the officiating crew let things get away from them, notwithstanding the obvious, umm, vigor, with which both teams and particularly Florida were playing. You could see it unfolding, maybe I should say unraveling. Wilson's second yellow was a gut check, if only because she never really comes off the field. And Florida No. 9 kept her team lead in YCs?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:23 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:41 pm Few comments from the Florida game....Florida's team is coached to be very rough and to take dives....Wow. Not your Mamma's pretty game.

I thought the officiating crew let things get away from them, notwithstanding the obvious, umm, vigor, with which both teams and particularly Florida were playing. You could see it unfolding, maybe I should say unraveling. Wilson's second yellow was a gut check, if only because she never really comes off the field. And Florida No. 9 kept her team lead in YCs?
Heller (no. 9) kept her team lead and extended her streak to 6 games in a row. I thought that was an interesting statistic for the broadcast team to point out, I wasn’t expecting it
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:03 am
fourtyfive wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:07 pm You can’t be serious? That reffing was atrocious. The call on Reznick was soooo bad and same with the card on Pavinelli. Go watch a replay..
I am sorry. What I meant to say was that it was a crew made up of Refs that normally call good games. You are correct the referees were not good in the game. Very inconsistent.
Watched the replay of the Pavinelli YC. Sorry, good call. You cannot wave your stick and make contact like that and expect no call or a simple foul. It was akin to Wilson's first YC. Discipline. Game tied at 9-9, Loyola maybe on the ropes a bit. Cannot go woman-down. Oops...

The Reznik call was tougher. Looks like she put her stick right into Fiedler to block her path to the ball or ball carrier, and got the foul. She definitely hits No. 24 in the face. Turning point.
Last edited by seacoaster on Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:23 am

So Loyola has 4 yellows and Florida had 3. Loyola 9 fps and Florida 12 and it was particularly Florida? I only saw the fourth but it was not particularly Florida. Both trams undisciplined, overly aggressive and reckless imo. The two greens at the end taking Fla from woman up to woman down were really undisciplined.

I still don’t quite get the Resnick foul
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Bart wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:50 am
So Loyola has 4 yellows and Florida had 3. Loyola 9 fps and Florida 12 and it was particularly Florida? I only saw the fourth but it was not particularly Florida. Both trams undisciplined, overly aggressive and reckless imo. The two greens at the end taking Fla from woman up to woman down were really undisciplined.
Bart - respectfully, it was a very physical game and that was set up early by Florida. You may not have seen it with the small sample size, and the 4th quarter was probably as you say...at that point the teams were both teams understood what that level of physicality was going to be that night.

I remember an old adage...that if you cant beat talent, beat it up.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Doesn't appear to me as if Florida is the only team that is coached to dive though, seems as if they all are. When the pressure comes and you're surrounded, go to the ground and grab your head. Lot of acting and drama going on on wlax fields.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:57 am
Bart - respectfully, it was a very physical game and that was set up early by Florida. You may not have seen it with the small sample size, and the 4th quarter was probably as you say...at that point the teams were both teams understood what that level of physicality was going to be that night.

If you say so. I’m going by what I saw as a neutral observer of the fourth quarter and I’m not going to go back and rewatch the game.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:57 am

OK watched the second half. @Bart I will say that the game on TV didnt look as rough as it did in person. I know that I was wearing my Grey/green glasses in my statement above. The second half looked pretty even on the physicality. Some odd calls (Reznick) and #32 2nd YC. Anyway, FLA is a team that can beat anyone on any day. They definitely get under your skin. :D
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I can't help but have the opinion - so just mine- that any increased physicality and undisciplined play by Florida can be attributed to the addition to the coaching staff this summer. They have always been a more aggressive team but sounds like it's been ramped up even more 🤷
Doesn't take much to "get under the skin" of a team and bring them to your level of play. Not a tactic I'd employ or cheer for but it's definitely coached. They have allowed a player to have a 6 game streak of yellows - with one being close to a red. Team culture for certain.
Again IMHO - so nope, don't have stats to back it up at this point, just eye test.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

DMac wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:59 am Doesn't appear to me as if Florida is the only team that is coached to dive though, seems as if they all are. When the pressure comes and you're surrounded, go to the ground and grab your head. Lot of acting and drama going on on wlax fields.
Unfortunately, it gets taught in High School. Was watching my daughter play in Atlanta this weekend and the other team spent more time on the ground than upright. All of the flops drew calls from the refs, so I guess it worked. Comically, one girl even flopped as she took a shot with literally no one within 5 feet of her.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

cltlax wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:04 am
DMac wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:59 am Doesn't appear to me as if Florida is the only team that is coached to dive though, seems as if they all are. When the pressure comes and you're surrounded, go to the ground and grab your head. Lot of acting and drama going on on wlax fields.
Unfortunately, it gets taught in High School. Was watching my daughter play in Atlanta this weekend and the other team spent more time on the ground than upright. All of the flops drew calls from the refs, so I guess it worked. Comically, one girl even flopped as she took a shot with literally no one within 5 feet of her.
IT is taught in club as well....The refs cant see everything, so, it is an effective way of getting a call. I would bet 75% of the time you will get that call. You never see a "Diving" call...as there isnt even anything in the rules other than unsportsmanlike play.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:11 am
cltlax wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:04 am
IT is taught in club as well....The refs cant see everything, so, it is an effective way of getting a call. I would bet 75% of the time you will get that call. You never see a "Diving" call...as there isnt even anything in the rules other than unsportsmanlike play.
It goes hand-in-hand with the head bobbing any time they feel contact.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Loyola was clearly the better team last night in their win over Princeton. The final score was deceiving. I agree with Doc--if this team is serious about making a real run at the title, they're going to have to get a lot better at delivering the coup de grâce. Too passive when aggression is warranted at times. This has been the story with this team in the past--they have the talent, they need the killer instinct.

We've got a pretty good sample size on the Hounds now. 8-0 with wins over ranked opponents #21 JHU (14-5); #24 Penn (12-10); #12 Florida (12-9); and #10 Princeton (16-15). They've really got only one test left coming up Tuesday at Syracuse. They won't be favored, but that game is winnable for Loyola. The rest of the season and postseason will pretty much be scrimmaged...sorry--played intra-Patriot League. Then let's hope they get some favorable positioning/seeding for the NCAA's.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”