Potential New Top 20

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: Potential New Top 20

Post by Can Opener »

Sorry, site glitched out and tried to post twice.
Last edited by Can Opener on Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:02 pm
Catbird wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:30 am
Can Opener wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:44 pm Brown played UNC tougher than Hopkins despite running into Tucci’s best FO performance of the year. The last time Brown played JHU head-to-head the Bears prevailed 17-8. The mystique of Hopkins in the polls continues. For that matter, Brown is 6-1 against Princeton since 2014, but gets ranked lower every year. Brown deserves to be in the top 20 this week.

Playing the "we lost better than you" game and a playoff matchup from 5 years ago?

Hopkins is getting credit for winning right now. Only a handful of teams have a scalp more valuable than Jacksonville, maybe that changes in the next few weeks. I thought that's what you all wanted? :lol:

FTR I thought Brown looked pretty good while losing on Wednesday. Would not be surprised to see them end up in the Top 20 or 15 this year.
Not trying to troll Hopkins here, since it's just barroom banter at this point in the season until more proof points are in. Having said that, objectively Brown did much better against their only common opponent this year. JHU trailed Carolina 14-6 at one point in the fourth quarter. Brown was tied with UNC with less than 5 minutes to go. My only point in bringing up the 17-8 win a few years ago is just to call out the phenomenon of "Sure they're ranked ahead of Brown, they're John MFing Hopkins." Hop was ranked ahead of Brown in early polls that season, too. Not to go way down a rabbit hole, but Maryland teams are typically overweighted in the early polls -- and sometimes the more important ones leading into the tournament. I mean, who are the voters who included 0-3 Loyola in their top 20 this week? Huge respect for Toomey, but that team needs an intervention in some key roles.

My bigger beef is with BU and Princeton. Again, Brown has won 6 of the last 7 meetings against the Tigers and several of those were with Sowers in the lineup. Now without their (arguably) best player ever, Princeton only has wins against Monmouth and Binghamton and a 15-10 loss to Maryland. BU has wins over Merrimack, Bryant and a struggling UMass. Brown defeated BU 12-5 only 10 months ago and returns most of its key components including 3 grad students and 14 seniors from that game. Goss is the most noticeable absence, of course, but don't sleep on Blaze, I mean Connor, Theriault.

Again, this is just the silly season, but Daly kept his guys together all of last season despite playing only one game. Unless practice and team cohesion are overrated, I am confident that the hard work last spring will boost the Bears over other Ivies that chose to disperse and do small group work in sunny locales around the country. We will know a lot more about Brown after hosting Nova tomorrow.
Brown has now proven themselves to be one of the very best teams in the country ... in 45 minute contests. The Bears are leading opponents 52-34 through 3 quarters and trailing 18-5 in 4th quarters. They have demonstrated that they have the horses to hang with anyone outside the top 5. Now the team needs to clean up the mistakes that are probably a product of so few game reps over the past two years. As for their march into the top 20, they took care of business by beating a talented Villanova squad last night and now need to hold off PC in a cross-town game that is rarely a dependable W.

As much as I would like to see 5 Ivies in the top 20, Princeton faces an absolute stump grinder of a March schedule. Next four games are Georgetown, Rutgers, Penn & Yale. That has to be the toughest month of any team in the nation. Cornell's next four ain't much easier: OSU, PSU, Yale & Penn.

Leapfrog candidates for Brown this week are probably Princeton, BU, Denver, JHU and even 'Cuse, currently at 1-3 with only a win over Holy Cross. If they beat Bart this weekend, do they deserve a higher ranking at 2-3 than Brown does at 4-1? Laundry says "yes," fairness says "not so fast."
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:44 pm Brown played UNC tougher than Hopkins despite running into Tucci’s best FO performance of the year. The last time Brown played JHU head-to-head the Bears prevailed 17-8. The mystique of Hopkins in the polls continues. For that matter, Brown is 6-1 against Princeton since 2014, but gets ranked lower every year. Brown deserves to be in the top 20 this week.

Playing the "we lost better than you" game and a playoff matchup from 5 years ago?

Hopkins is getting credit for winning right now. Only a handful of teams have a scalp more valuable than Jacksonville, maybe that changes in the next few weeks. I thought that's what you all wanted? :lol:

FTR I thought Brown looked pretty good while losing on Wednesday. Would not be surprised to see them end up in the Top 20 or 15 this year.
Not trying to troll Hopkins here, since it's just barroom banter at this point in the season until more proof points are in. Having said that, objectively Brown did much better against their only common opponent this year. JHU trailed Carolina 14-6 at one point in the fourth quarter. Brown was tied with UNC with less than 5 minutes to go. My only point in bringing up the 17-8 win a few years ago is just to call out the phenomenon of "Sure they're ranked ahead of Brown, they're John MFing Hopkins." Hop was ranked ahead of Brown in early polls that season, too. Not to go way down a rabbit hole, but Maryland teams are typically overweighted in the early polls -- and sometimes the more important ones leading into the tournament. I mean, who are the voters who included 0-3 Loyola in their top 20 this week? Huge respect for Toomey, but that team needs an intervention in some key roles.

My bigger beef is with BU and Princeton. Again, Brown has won 6 of the last 7 meetings against the Tigers and several of those were with Sowers in the lineup. Now without their (arguably) best player ever, Princeton only has wins against Monmouth and Binghamton and a 15-10 loss to Maryland. BU has wins over Merrimack, Bryant and a struggling UMass. Brown defeated BU 12-5 only 10 months ago and returns most of its key components including 3 grad students and 14 seniors from that game. Goss is the most noticeable absence, of course, but don't sleep on Blaze, I mean Connor, Theriault.

Again, this is just the silly season, but Daly kept his guys together all of last season despite playing only one game. Unless practice and team cohesion are overrated, I am confident that the hard work last spring will boost the Bears over other Ivies that chose to disperse and do small group work in sunny locales around the country. We will know a lot more about Brown after hosting Nova tomorrow.
By that logic Princeton, Cornell and Penn should all be ranked the same as they are all about .500 with Princeton over past 6 years. Brown has Princeton’s number, that’s for sure. Ivy records are almost identical over the period though. It’s one of those things.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:41 am
HGK wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:11 am You’re Big Red laying 3.5 today. Should be a great game.
Very tough game. The Statesmen are a solid bunch that can score from anywhere.
Big red must bring their A Game to the Kopf tonight.
Your right, should be a great game.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
At least we gave your boys a bad beat if you laid dough on them!

This is a case where the “emotional hedge” of betting on the opponent would’ve been a double hit however…
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:01 pm

By that logic Princeton, Cornell and Penn should all be ranked the same as they are all about .500 with Princeton over past 6 years. Brown has Princeton’s number, that’s for sure. Ivy records are almost identical over the period though. It’s one of those things.
I hear ya. My only point/gripe is that because Princeton has one or two more national championships than Brown, they tend to be ranked ahead of the Bears.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:26 pm

I hear ya. My only point/gripe is that because Princeton has one or two more national championships than Brown, they tend to be ranked ahead of the Bears.
I have been higher on this Brown team than a lot of people. Underrated players.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:40 pm

I had Brown 13 in my latest poll. Tough as nails team that no one wants to play right now.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

joewillie78 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:40 pm

I had Brown 13 in my latest poll. Tough as nails team that no one wants to play right now.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I saw that. Much appreciated. Hope to join you at the Big Red/Brown State Ivy tournament championship game this year!!!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

My new Top 25:
1. Maryland
2. Virginia
3. Rutgers
4. Cornell
5. North Carolina
6. Penn
7. Georgetown
8. Princeton
9. Ohio State
10. Brown
11. Notre Dame
12. Army
13. Yale
14. Jacksonville
15. Bucknell
16. Michigan
17. Boston University
18. Villanova
19. St. Joseph's
20. High Point
21. JHU
22. Syracuse
23. Navy
24. Harvard
25. Stony Brook

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Last edited by joewillie78 on Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Didn’t Navy just lose to Lehigh by 4 (not to mention the MSM loss and HP)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:14 pm My new Top 25:
1. Maryland
2. Virginia
3. Rutgers
4. Cornell
5. North Carolina
6. Penn
7. Georgetown
8. Princeton
9. Ohio State
10. Brown
11. Notre Dame
12. Army
13. Yale
14. Jacksonville
15. Bucknell
16. Michigan
17. Boston University
18. Villanova
19. St. Joseph's
20. High Point
21. JHU
22. Syracuse
23. Navy
24. Harvard
25. Stony Brook

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I think Utah gets a chance to be top 20 and for sure top 25 this week.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:14 pm My new Top 25:
1. Maryland
2. Virginia
3. Rutgers
4. Cornell
5. North Carolina
6. Penn
7. Georgetown
8. Princeton
9. Ohio State
10. Brown
11. Notre Dame
12. Army
13. Yale
14. Jacksonville
15. Bucknell
16. Michigan
17. Boston University
18. Villanova
19. St. Joseph's
20. High Point
21. JHU
22. Syracuse
23. Navy
24. Harvard
25. Stony Brook

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Based on head-to-head, wouldn't it go Princeton>Georgetown>Penn?
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Jax are gonna fall of course,
too bad,
they were looking good there for a stretch.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

The Duke loss to Jax it looks like Nasso did not play for Duke. That’s what the box score has - he did not play. Jax lacrosse webpage is a scrambled mess hard to find anything. Faceoffs for that game was 15 each.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

My new top 25:
1. Maryland
2. Virginia
3. Cornell
4. Princeton
5. Penn
6. Ohio State
7. Georgetown
8. Rutgers
9. Brown
10. Yale
11. Army
12. UNC
13. Jacksonville
14. Duke
15. Harvard
16. BU
17. St. Joseph's
18. ND
19. Michigan
20. High Point
21. JHU
22. Hobart
23. Stony Brook
24. Lehigh
25. Bucknell

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
HGK

Post by HGK »

Curious on Penn vs Georgetown JW. Georgetown lost to your number 4 Princeton and beat your number 5, Penn head to head. also beat your #18 ND as well as Hopkins and a good Richmond team. Penn lost to your number 7, Georgetown -and beat your #14 Duke (who seems high after the Loyola loss) and beat PSU and Nova both by a goal and you rank neither. I love your IVY passion but love to hear your rationale there.
lorin

Post by lorin »

HGK wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:11 pm Curious on Penn vs Georgetown JW. Georgetown lost to your number 4 Princeton and beat your number 5, Penn head to head. also beat your #18 ND as well as Hopkins and a good Richmond team. Penn lost to your number 7, Georgetown -and beat your #14 Duke (who seems high after the Loyola loss) and beat PSU and Nova both by a goal and you rank neither. I love your IVY passion but love to hear your rationale there.
Not sure about Brown over Army
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Wow, you guys ask tough questions. The Army one is easy as the Syracuse win now appears to be less impressive as when it actually happened, and Brown has been ultra impressive.
Penn in my opinion is just an incredibly tough team and always seem to win, even when they are not at their best.
Both could go the way you all pointed out but I really love Brown and Penn and am not looking forward to when my Big Red have to play these 2 great teams.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
HGK

Post by HGK »

Fair enough!
lorin

Post by lorin »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:25 pm Wow, you guys ask tough questions. The Army one is easy as the Syracuse win now appears to be less impressive as when it actually happened, and Brown has been ultra impressive.
Penn in my opinion is just an incredibly tough team and always seem to win, even when they are not at their best.
Both could go the way you all pointed out but I really love Brown and Penn and am not looking forward to when my Big Red have to play these 2 great teams.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
What win for Brown is impressive? No top teams in any of those wins

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”