Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GSP

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by GSP »

GSP wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:42 pm
Big Dog wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:43 pm
GSP wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:28 pm Lars Tiffany and the Hoos would like to interrupt this comment string to thank you guys for the 1 man, punt return clear that is Evan Zinn.
HUGE addition plus he plays VERY solid defense!
Evan is a fine young man and represented Hopkins well, and we're happy he found a good place to play. But unlike Hop, UVa has a ton of other talent spread all over the field, so you can add a "punt-return" player to the mix. Hopkins needed him to do more than be a special teams player (to continue the football position analogy).
His defense has been solid and he has picked up the UVA defensive schemes extremely well. Fun to watch a guy make the most of a second shot.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:25 pm Well there are the facts and then there are the i heard from someone who heard from someone. Trump’s version is “many people are saying”.

Benson was there. He knows.

The point was Hopkins in its early recruiting was not accepting making blanket acceptances in its early recruits as a few people have claimed and once having made a false claim build a narrative around it. Pathetic. The acceotances were conditional.

Benson’s story is correct in so far as Hopkins expected him but it did not happen. I see no reason to doubt his story snd mang to question 51% fantasy
So you have talked to Benson and he personally told you Hopkins "expected" Rambo? Otherwise you are hearing from someone who heard from someone. Pathetic.

NO ONE claimed Hopkins was making blanket acceptances. You started this whole thing by asking if anyone knew whether Hopkins still employed reduced academic standards for lacrosse players. That has ZERO - again ZERO - to do with blanket acceptances. Every respondent on this board said of course they still do. I offered as evidence that the early recruiting and the fact that many of the early verbals actually made it to campus strongly suggested that there were likely different standards for the lacrosse players because you couldn't identify the breadth of the recruit's academic performance because there was no academic performance to measure. As I also stated before - any verbal commitment - is absolutely conditional on meeting some level of acdemic performance and staying out of trouble among other things - the issue is the level of academic performance and all evidence points to the fact that it is different than the rest of the student body. You're the one with reading comprehension problems and fantasy.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

In addition - let us not let facts get in the way of a narrative either:
Rambo committed to Maryland in the summer of 2011 - that means he was being recruited in 2010 - probably earlier given his rep
That's 12 years ago
RD was only large and in charge for a little more than a year
Calder firmly esconced as AD - no Alanna - no Jen - no Jen's dog
No hazing scandal which likely helped deteriorate any relationship RD and DP had

So if Petro and Benson did indeed decide anyone's transcript could not pass muster - perceived administration intolerance seems a stretch at this time. Most of their support system was still in place and I doubt RD was reviewing lacrosse applications back in 2010/11. AND it is quite possible that a transcript and scores for a human being should indicate he should not attend Hopkins. I have no idea about Rambo's academics and it is not appropriate to discuss them.

But it is also quite possible - and I would wager you have no idea - that Rambo chose the University of Maryland because that's where he wanted to go.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Gameday.

Anyone here going? Very curious to hear about Petro's interactions, if any, pre- and post-game.

In any event...just win.
molo

Post by molo »

While it’s still in the 20s, it should be a balmy 40 by 4. The Petro Bowl won’t be an ice bowl. Wouldn’t dream of missing it.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

My son grew up playing club ball with Rambo. I can say it with certainty he had zero interest in Hopkins. He just wanted to go to Maryland.

It was MD, PSU, and Hofstra believe it or not.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:37 am My son grew up playing club ball with Rambo. I can say it with certainty he had zero interest in Hopkins. He just wanted to go to Maryland.

It was MD, PSU, and Hofstra believe it or not.
i heard he was a big thomas jefferson and revolutionary war buff, wanted to go uva but they couldn't get him in.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

It's interesting to speculate what the team would be like right now if we had Shelly, Murphy, and Zinn on the roster...
PM seems to be able to get a lot of 4 star recruits but no 5 star ones, at least according to IL.
I would say this is a pretty critical game today, even though it's early in the season.
Going 3-4 would make it an uphill climb to the playoffs. Winning today would give the team some momentum heading into the BIG schedule.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

zinn was a bust.

There was no pregame acknowledgement of Petro anywhere across any Hopkins platforms including media. The program, athletic department and university should be ashamed of themselves.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The game-day program mentions that the Cuse DC is a former JHU HC. Not sure why Jays fans think there should be anything more than that. Cornell didn't do any more for Tambo when PSU came to Ithaca for the first time (though it was several years after he left).
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Maddening how the SSDMs refuse to take the ball upfield on the clear
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

There is absolutely no reason to do anything special for Coach Petro at this game. The team, the athletic department and the university do not owe him anything.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

D is playing well, offense has not touched the ball. Watching this team try to clear is basically a snuff film. Should be illegal to watch or distribute it
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Talk about athletes all you want but clearing is largely coaching.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Who knows what will happen? But this is the biggest 3-2 blowout I have ever seen.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:15 pm Maddening how the SSDMs refuse to take the ball upfield on the clear
Cuse's attack are so much more athletic than Hop's shorties that they're chasing them down and taking their angles. None of Hop's shorties can outrun anyone on a clear.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:15 pm Maddening how the SSDMs refuse to take the ball upfield on the clear
Several times, they have just stopped moving their feet when they see the Syracuse ride.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:43 pm Talk about athletes all you want but clearing is largely coaching.
Absolutely agree … especially when the problem has persisted all season long.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HillsLax wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:31 pm There is absolutely no reason to do anything special for Coach Petro at this game. The team, the athletic department and the university do not owe him anything.
you must be a blast at parties.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

They fired the dude. Now there's s'posed to be some sort of love fest? I don't get it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”