Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by rolldodge »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:40 pm It’s an interesting discussion with Trippi at attack. I wouldn’t do it - he scored 4 goals vs Princeton all vs a short stick. That doesn’t happen if he’s an attackmen. Morin seems to be the only presence that can turn the corner at GLE as we saw with his game clinching goals vs Penn and ND doing that. Would be nice to see Haley able to do that but he seems to be just getting his legs back. I am in the camp of just giving it time to gel. I’m pretty encouraged by how the offense has looked so far - just one bad game with awful turnovers.

I think the staff agrees with getting Trippi behind, as I’ve seen him back there a bunch this year as a middie. The question is how long does he get a short stick. His time may have run out. One thing I have noticed from watching the Hoyas the last couple years is how much their offensive guys move around and attack from different spots on the field. I remember Carraway, Bucaro, and Wittenberg coming at the D from all over, was extremely unpredictable and hard to plan for. I’ve already seen Trippi initiate from behind, both wings, and up top. Maybe just feelings things out. Who knows what would have happened without all those careless unforced turnovers.
Problem is, if you put a pole on Trippi, you have to short stick Bundy. And then Trippi is pretty crafty off ball as well. I almost like that set up better.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Richmond has lost two games. UNC by 4 and Duke by 6. I am sure Saturday was a wakeup call for the Hoyas and would imagine Monday and Tuesday practices and film were no picnic. This is a big game for Georgetown to show last week was a one off dud (against a very good team granted). The Spiders are a very good team and the Hoyas need to clean up GBs, transition and intensity. Time to get back to the hunter mentality that served them so well the past few years.
HGK

Post by HGK »

If last night’s UVA UNC game had one takeaway for the Hoyas it is the intensity level has to ratchet up dramatically. Even comparing that game to our ND game it wasn’t close. Talent you can’t necessarily control in season, intensity and will to win you certainly can. Good test tomorrow at Richmond.

Let’s go Hoyas!
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Weather looks brutal for the game today. Feels like in the 20s with sleet / snow. Assume it will be a sloppy low scoring game so may show how important it will be to ramp up that intensity.
HGK

Post by HGK »

If any Hoya backers think this is a final four contender At this point i’d love to hear why. That was flat out ugly. And I realize the weather but there are so many non weather related issues to be concerned about.

Intensity remains oddly low. Off ball defense continues to be a major issue. The offense is what really worries me. We scored virtually every goal on outside shots. Once Richmond switched goalies and he was seeing it well, our offense stalled. Most alarming to me, as i have said many times, is we have basically zero threat from X. You simply can’t win consistently with a midfield driven outside shot offense. I still say put Trippi either at attack or every time he gets the ball vs a shorty invert him. Same with Hess. Hoyas have to get some offensive balance in terms of where shots come from and are created from.

Credit to the team to fight hard in 4th and pull away but man I thought this team would be firing on all cylinders at this point and not hanging on.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I thought that was a hell of a win. Look at recent history of top 10 teams playing at Richmond. They had the 4th ranked defense and the Hoyas scored 15, more than both Duke and NC. They came out on fire in the first quarter. Defense I thought was a little suspect compared to expectations. Hess has been a little slow starting.

All in a snowstorm from what I could tell on ESPN+
HGK

Post by HGK »

I totally agree it was good to win vs a tough team. My concern is that since halftime vs ND (exclude MSM) this does not look like the same team to me. My concerns are as I stated above. If you look at how UVA, UNC, UMD attack from X, score inside and outside that is the offensive balance you need to play on MDW. This Hoya team was built to win this year. The amount of talent leaving after this year is staggering. So that is my sense of urgency. I just think the Hoyas have massive upside vs what they have shown the last couple of weeks. I 100% support these boys and think they can be very special but IMHO, what I see in all aspects of their game since that 1st half vs ND really concerns me in terms of making a deep run in May. Tons of time for that to change.

Let’s go Hoyas!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They don't have dodgers behind like those teams. Morin looks promising but Haley can't beat a man. Great passer, but until he develops that part of his game the offense will be midfield and invert dodge heavy
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:15 pm They don't have dodgers behind like those teams. Morin looks promising but Haley can't beat a man. Great passer, but until he develops that part of his game the offense will be midfield and invert dodge heavy
Agreed. It has to be. I think they’ve done a nice job of building it around the midfield. Would be nice to be able to have more of an attack presence behind but not sure that exists for them. Trippi is behind quite a bit when he has a SS.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Run into a hot goalie and or tough zone in May and that’s a major problem. I think there are things staff can do to help the attack element. Hopefully it happens.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:28 pm Run into a hot goalie and or tough zone in May and that’s a major problem. I think there are things staff can do to help the attack element. Hopefully it happens.
    The middies are very good but a good D will stop this offense, it is simply not diverse enough.Today GU got the big lead, survived over half the game being outplayed, and then managed to open it up after the other team had its run. Much like the ND game. This is not a formula for success at the top level.

On a positive note the SSDMs played better this week, and Mazzone and Donaldson are quietly having a great year.
    Last edited by Jldlax on Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I’m just not sure what you do if you don’t have that guy to attack from behind? 5-1 start after that schedule I think everyone takes and runs
    HGK

Post by HGK »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:05 pm I’m just not sure what you do if you don’t have that guy to attack from behind? 5-1 start after that schedule I think everyone takes and runs
    Put Trippi back there against Utah and let’s see what happens. Keeping the offense running solely from up top might still lead to a nice record but it won’t lead to MDW. Now is the time to find out if there is another option. Not in May! And IMO moving Trippi to attack and running Thompson in his middie spot might be a very good thing. If Haley gets fully healthy Trippi can move back to midfield but they need to solve the attack issue in case that scenario doesn’t play out.
    rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Morin was able to beat his guy from X multiple times but just needs to work on his finishing.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea to rotate Trippi and Bundy down to attack at times during the game. That’s what they did with Bundy in the fourth quarter.

To me the question is what to do with Haley. He’s really not contributing much out there now other than moving the ball along in 6v6. If I were an opposing coach, I might put a short stick on him.

Overall on the game, I thought we played pretty well other than a stretch of turnovers in the third quarter.

When Georgetown gets transition offense, they win. When McDermott contributes, they win.

There is a lot of time left in the season to keep tweaking the offense. The good news is they have a lot of options.
    Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

15 goals with 13 coming from midfielders (once where Bundy was playing attack).
    HGK

Post by HGK »

That is basically my point. That formula just won’t work in May. This is a great team and they have enormous talent but one man bands don’t play on MDW. Need to think out of the box and take a chance on a different formula if want to go deep.
    rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Goals primary from midfield but they had 6 goal scorers and 8 guys with points. Hardly one man band.

But I agree, you need a strong attack to make it to MDW. Morin beat his man repeatedly and probably should have had at least 2 or 3 goals. Would like to see they experiment with some lineup changes. I suppose if they had someone on the bench they wanted to try out, they would have by now, so it’s probably about finding the right mix. I’d like to see them figure out a way to get more reps and production out of Hess. Moving a midfielder to attack could open that up.
    HGK

Post by HGK »

One man band was a reference to a dependence on midfield scoring not individual stats. Nova had Penn beat and great finish by Penn to win it. Denver Yale close. Big East may be a tougher grind than many have thought. Hoyas should be up to the task and if they balance the offense and clean up off ball D they should be in great shape.
    laxguywm

Post by laxguywm »

Wow 15 goals being the visiting team, in the snow and in less-than-ideal conditions and you guys are complaining. Feels like a Hopkins or Syracuse thread (lol just kidding). Always room for improvement and all the suggestions are very constructive - like all you guys are saying - want to be peaking at end of April and May - not in Feb and March.
    FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I’ve noticed they have tinkered with putting Bundy on attack at times. I think I’d be in favor of that scenario if there were to be an experiment. I am sure the thought process behind that is for transition purposes, as we saw when he scored off the face off in the 4th quarter as the point guy on the break. With the amount of transition ops they get, it’s nice to have a stretch shooter out there, a la Carraway was

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”