Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Catbird

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Catbird »

Not sure the story that everyone who early commited for Petro always showed up on campus is totally true. There have been alot of names over the years that were verbally commited to Hopkins as freshman/sophomores who de-commited and went elsewhere. While some of them may have been a "grass is greener" situation (like Shellenberger), sure there were also several who would not make the academic cut who ended up looking elsewhere.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Catbird wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:19 am Not sure the story that everyone who early commited for Petro always showed up on campus is totally true. There have been alot of names over the years that were verbally commited to Hopkins as freshman/sophomores who de-commited and went elsewhere. While some of them may have been a "grass is greener" situation (like Shellenberger), sure there were also several who would not make the academic cut who ended up looking elsewhere.
Probably there were a couple. But not many IMO. Very few decommits when they were high school seniors or even juniors when the academic writing would be clearly on the wall. I also believe if admissions had deterred a signiricant recruit or more than one or two of any quality recruit - that would have come out and the villagers would have taken up the torches and pitchforks. I don't recall a single story except that we took Radziewicz when Cornell would not. Plus there weren't that many decommits-one or two a year on average I would think (except of course when Petro was dismissed).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wilkins posted his recruiting video on youtube where he had a sub 3.0 gpa and was ranked in the bottom 40 percent of his hs class and was still admitted and graduated in 4 years and that's coming from a colorado hs which I doubt was very competitive so if kids weren't admitted or decomitted they had to have had REALLY awful academics.

I don't know the specifics but I think epstein might be the last of the early recruits.
molo

Post by molo »

For an assistant, he sure does a lot. It will be fun to see him return to his old stomping grounds in a game between two storied programs whose new coaching staffs have so far underwhelmed.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

GSP wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:28 pm Lars Tiffany and the Hoos would like to interrupt this comment string to thank you guys for the 1 man, punt return clear that is Evan Zinn.
HUGE addition plus he plays VERY solid defense!
Evan is a fine young man and represented Hopkins well, and we're happy he found a good place to play. But unlike Hop, UVa has a ton of other talent spread all over the field, so you can add a "punt-return" player to the mix. Hopkins needed him to do more than be a special teams player (to continue the football position analogy).
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51%

Your post misses the point though doesn’t it??

I thought I was very clear, and i have written on this in the past. I was apparently wrong. When early recruiting moved to the fore Hopkins would tender conditional acceptances eg academics, character etc. it the criteria were met they were accepted.

Before early recruitment and for standard recruiting Hopkins would occasionally seek an exception for a player. It wasn’t used very often. It was a bet the program did not want to lose fearing loss of the option.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:06 pm 51%

I thought I was very clear, and i have written on this in the past. I was apparently wrong. When early recruiting moved to the fore Hopkins would tender conditional acceptances eg academics, character etc. it the criteria were met they were accepted.

Before early recruitment and for standard recruiting Hopkins would occasionally seek an exception for a player. It wasn’t used very often. It was a bet the program did not want to lose fearing loss of the option.
I seem to recall something about Benson complaining that they couldn't get Rambo in. I don't know how accurate that is though.
We have lost a lot of recruits to poaching though over the years, plus a lot of transfers out with the coaching change.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:18 pm

I seem to recall something about Benson complaining that they couldn't get Rambo in. I don't know how accurate that is though.
We have lost a lot of recruits to poaching though over the years, plus a lot of transfers out with the coaching change.
That is correct. Bensons line to anyone to who would listen after Maryland won the title was “we couldn’t have got Rambo and Heacock in and didn’t even bring their transcripts forward when we saw them”. So that would suggest there are some limitations. Knowing some of the kids they have looked at from Florida the crux of it was if you had a B average or better you were good to go.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Benson’s version i had not heard but accords with what i have been told
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Schellenberger was also thought be a commit at one point in time. I don’t know what happened there. He is from Cville i think. Maybe just simply changed his mind or got a better offer or whatever.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wasn't the class already essentially full when Heacock committed to Maryland? Sounds like a convenient excuse made after the fact to save face for missing out on a recruit because you filled your whole class up with 9th graders who didn't pan out as well as you hoped they would. Plenty of recruits with academic limitations have been admitted in the last 10 years. And if their grades were truly so brutal that they didn't even bother with a transcript then maybe it was for the best? Should there be no standards? Guys like that wouldn't have survived academically.

Anyway, that didn't end up being a particularly strong class for the Jays, those two future Terps notwithstanding. They hit on Fields and Crawley (and Radz to a slightly lesser extent) but their other "top 100" recruits that year (Eissler, Dismuke, Feit, Koelsch, Carlini) either turned into role players or in the case of Grass and Perreault they flew away from the roster quicker than a toupee in a hurricane. Fun to go back and look at those lists all these years later. Dylan Molloy was #72 in that class — he probably could have gotten into Hopkins given where he ended up.

When Shellenberger committed to Hopkins, Virginia was in a pretty bad place — in fact we had just destroyed them at Klockner in the first round of the playoffs. You know, the whole hidden ball trick game. If young Shelly was watching that, one can see why he'd at that point pick Hop over UVA. But shortly after Starsia left and Tiffany was hired, Shellenberger changed his commitment. I have no inside knowledge but my assumption has always been his interest was piqued by the style Tiffany was promising to bring over from Brown. Plus the hometown factor, of course. Oh well. Maybe there's an alternate universe.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I have been told by a reliable source Rambo never had any interest in Hopkins whatsoever. I think he was able to identify for himself he was more of that big school kind of guy. So who knows. It makes some logical sense to me that if you asked Benson back then "why didn't Rambo come to Hopkins?" A more palatable answer is "we couldn't get him in" as opposed to "He wouldn't pee on Homewood if it was on fire"

Heacock - no idea.

Shellenberger was and always was a rental recruit until he figured out what was going on in Charlottesville.

I don't think so. I understand that any verbal is contingent upon such things as a level of academic performance - avoiding significant trouble etc etc. no matter when it occurs. My point is that if you verbal 13-15 9th graders - chances are pretty high they are not all going to turn out to be Rhodes scholars and meet standards where kids with 5.0s and umpteen AP classes are not getting in or waitlisted - so if they all show up or the vast majority - again chances are pretty darn high the lacrosse issue helped balance out some B's and C's in high school. It's simply a matter of statistics.
Homer

Post by Homer »

If 51% is missing the point then so am I. Maybe you can spell it out for us in more detail?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Homer wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:27 pm

If 51% is missing the point then so am I. Maybe you can spell it out for us in more detail?
good luck.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

In the SE PA community,
I don’t recall much thought at all beyond Maryland as Rambo’s
choice, maybe Penn State. At the time, Rambo was easily the
top recruit to come out of SE Pennsylvania. Rambo started out
at Abington HS before transferring to LaSalle College Prep. So
Durkin may have tried to influence Rambo’s decision. But really,
the Terps had already been heavily recruiting in SE PA, mostly
from the publics — so there was tremendous fanfare on the Terp’s
recruiting in that area. I also believe, with Rambo’s high profile
at such a young age, that Urso had to have influenced Rambo to
go to Maryland, to have planted that seed of high ambition, that
the Terps hadn’t won a title in decades, that Rambo was the guy
who could bring a title back to Maryland. At least, that
was the common narrative in that community, Rambo is on a mission to win a title for Maryland.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Syracuse just put out a nice video on the hop/cuse rivalry, the school newspaper and the local newspapers up there covered petros comments on the the return this is what the Hopkins media site (the one which put out a splashy picture of daniels getting an award from native americans) looks like with petro inbound.

https://hub.jhu.edu/

and the updated student newspaper site
https://www.jhunewsletter.com/section/sports

Lee's weekend lead in on baltimoresun.com are stories on loyola and marylands womens lacrosse.

This program is completely irrelevant right now on its own campus, with its own administration/student body and within its own market. Amazing.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:11 pm Syracuse just put out a nice video on the hop/cuse rivalry, the school newspaper and the local newspapers up there covered petros comments on the the return this is what the Hopkins media site (the one which put out a splashy picture of daniels getting an award from native americans) looks like with petro inbound.

https://hub.jhu.edu/

and the updated student newspaper site
https://www.jhunewsletter.com/section/sports

Lee's weekend lead in on baltimoresun.com are stories on loyola and marylands womens lacrosse.

This program is completely irrelevant right now on its own campus, with its own administration/student body and within its own market. Amazing.
tbf: 'Cuse has a huge j-school, and undoubtedly those kids are looking around for articles to write.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Well there are the facts and then there are the i heard from someone who heard from someone. Trump’s version is “many people are saying”.

Benson was there. He knows.

The point was Hopkins in its early recruiting was not accepting making blanket acceptances in its early recruits as a few people have claimed and once having made a false claim build a narrative around it. Pathetic. The acceotances were conditional.

Benson’s story is correct in so far as Hopkins expected him but it did not happen. I see no reason to doubt his story snd mang to question 51% fantasy
GSP

Post by GSP »

Big Dog wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:43 pm
GSP wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:28 pm Lars Tiffany and the Hoos would like to interrupt this comment string to thank you guys for the 1 man, punt return clear that is Evan Zinn.
HUGE addition plus he plays VERY solid defense!
Evan is a fine young man and represented Hopkins well, and we're happy he found a good place to play. But unlike Hop, UVa has a ton of other talent spread all over the field, so you can add a "punt-return" player to the mix. Hopkins needed him to do more than be a special teams player (to continue the football position analogy).
His defense has been solid and he has picked up the UVA scheme extremely well. Fun to watch a guy make the most of a second shot.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”