Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
calourie

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by calourie »

faircornell wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:46 pm The challenge is that once the Ivies start playing each other, good teams get losses. Princeton, Penn and Cornell have high quality wins that willl help them weather the storm. Yale would help themselves by beating Denver this weekend. Cornell would be helped by a win against Penn State.
If the Ivies as a whole don't just maintain, but actually improve on their current OOC record there is a good chance they will be in a position to garner 3 and maybe even grab a fourth invite to the big dance regardless of the brutal dogfights likely to go on within the league. This will be a tall order with 22 OOC games remaining including matchups with (I project) 14 schools likely to end up among the top 30 in the country. At this point Yale, Brown, Harvard and Dartmouth are all in need of beefing up their quality win component to not have to make some considerable noise in the league to get in, but none of the Ivies are in a strong enough position to suffer a bad loss (to a team in bottom half of the country) without putting some pressure on themselves to emerge out of the league dogfight with a spot in the ILT.

This weekend should go a long way in determining just how good the league is with games against Penn State, Denver, Villanova, Stony Brook and Michigan. Go Ivies!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

LaxTime2020 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:14 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:57 pm With all due respect to the excellent Dartmouth goalie I don’t think he will be 1st or 2nd team all IVY this year in front of either Ierlan or Peters, but maybe.
I think Peters vs. Hincks is the real race here. Ierlan is certainly a great goalie, but both the stats (thus far, still early) and the eye test from what i have seen point to those two.
Agree 100%. Ierlan has a more prestigious name on the front and the back of his jersey, but he has not been as strong as Peters and Hincks so far, even adjusting for SOS. No disrespect to Chayse who is a great athlete and keeper.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:57 pm the excellent Dartmouth goalie I don’t think he will be 1st or 2nd team all IVY this year in front of either Ierlan or Peters, but maybe.
I don’t either.
But the Dartmouth goalie is playing at such a torrid pace.
I wonder if he is considering post grad, he would be a great
transfer pick up, especially with presumably two years eligibility
instead of the usual one for most grad transfers.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:12 pm I don’t know about 4 in 2020,
Handley was hurt,

but I was definitely betting 2 Final Four teams.
2020 was going to be a rematch of 2009 in the finals.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:46 pm The challenge is that once the Ivies start playing each other, good teams get losses. Princeton, Penn and Cornell have high quality wins that willl help them weather the storm. Yale would help themselves by beating Denver this weekend. Cornell would be helped by a win against Penn State.
Denver isn’t looking like it’ll be a quality win these days. Penn is going to have to beat at least one of Cornell/PTon I think, even if they run the rest of their OOC, which is solid, it may not be enough if they lose both those and first round ILT exit. OOC is GT L, (if they run rest) Wins V Duke, Penn St, Nova, St Joes, Albany. Usually need two top ten wins and outside Duke I see maybe two in the 13-20 range by year end (maybe either Nova or St Joes, PSU and Albany don’t look like they are there this year)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:57 pm With all due respect to the excellent Dartmouth goalie I don’t think he will be 1st or 2nd team all IVY this year in front of either Ierlan or Peters, but maybe.
I think Peters vs. Hincks is the real race here. Ierlan is certainly a great goalie, but both the stats (thus far, still early) and the eye test from what i have seen point to those two.
Is Hincks going to have 60%+ against PTon, Penn, Cornell, etc? He’s excellent, but are they going to make the ILT?
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:12 pm I don’t know about 4 in 2020,
Handley was hurt,

but I was definitely betting 2 Final Four teams.
Who said anything about Penn? I thought Brown was gonna run the table after the UVA win ;)
But, I bet Penn would’ve been in—no Handley hurts, but look at what Lulley and Bartolo are doing this year. Plus Goldner and Gallagher that team was still stacked.

Today is a tough slate, don’t think the Ivies will come out undefeated like last week, but if Brown and Harvard can win, it’s a sign that no one is safe in league play this year. Think Harvard could surprise.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:16 am
Is Hincks going to have 60%+ against PTon, Penn, Cornell, etc? He’s excellent, but are they going to make the ILT?
Probably not; IMO, his performances are all the more impressive for his relative importance to any success the team has.

I'm not making a judgment, certainly not at this early time of the season, as to who will be most deserving of 1st team All-Ivy ranking, but there's no question in my mind that he's that caliber, indeed AA caliber. It's quite possible that the Ivies may have 3 such this year. IMO, there's often two such, but we don't always get that AA tag for the #2 much less 3.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:23 am
A lot of season left to play. Respectfully, Ierland has faced more difficult opponents than Hinks thus far. While not trying to take anything away from Hinks, he and the Big Green should, rationally, need a few Ivy wins for All Ivy honors.
I'm not in the camp that All-Ivy honors should be doled out based on Ivy wins, but it indeed works that way in practice. I think far more important for individual honors should be the individual's performances, taking into account what he faces given # of possessions, etc.

But the reality is that honors flow more to the players on teams which win. Not always to the best players, best season performances.

Again, I think there are 3 Ivy tenders who, if they have strong seasons ala their starts, are all legit AA contenders, what order is another matter...I don't see as much from any other league so far.

spelling. ;)
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Speaking of the ILT, how about the ILT TODAY? Cornell vs. Princeton and Penn vs. Yale. Hmm, could we see the same matchup in about 6 weeks?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:00 am
A lot of season left to play. Respectfully, Ierland has faced more difficult opponents than Hinks thus far. While not trying to take anything away from Hinks, he and the Big Green should, rationally, need a few Ivy wins for All Ivy honors.
I'm not in the camp that All-Ivy honors should be doled out based on Ivy wins, but it indeed works that way in practice. I think far more important for individual honors should be the individual's performances, taking into account what he faces given # of possessions, etc.

But the reality is that honors flow more to the players on teams which win. Not always to the best players, best season performances.

Again, I think there are 3 Ivy tenders who, if they have strong seasons ala their starts, are all legit AA contenders, what order is another matter...I don't see as much from any other league so far.

spelling. ;)
Were Hincks and Peters “ranked” coming out of HS? Peters was a late add and the second goal keeper in Princeton’s class.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:16 am

spelling. ;)
Were Hincks and Peters “ranked” coming out of HS? Peters was a late add and the second goal keeper in Princeton’s class.
We knew we had a good one in Hincks: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... 46791/5372

https://twitter.com/dartmouthmlax/statu ... 5546058753

As you know, I don't think IL does the best job of evaluating tenders, especially early on, but we knew Hincks had serious potential. Big guy who moves like a cat and strong fundamentals.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:29 pm

spelling. ;)
We knew we had a good one in Hincks: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... 46791/5372

As you know, I don't think IL does the best job of evaluating tenders, especially early on, but we knew Hincks had serious potential. Big guy who moves like a cat and strong fundamentals.
Thanks. I wasn’t sure.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:37 pm

spelling. ;)

Thanks. I wasn’t sure.
BTW, Brown's tender, Theriault, is having a strong season as well. Big game yesterday.
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:51 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:37 pm

spelling. ;)

Thanks. I wasn’t sure.
BTW, Brown's tender, Theriault, is having a strong season as well. Big game yesterday.
Yep
“I wish you would!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

11-0 and counting. Big Red and Brown kept the streak alive. Ivies are absolute killers. Come on Harvard.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

MDlaxfan76's kid's alma mater rolling over Michigan, 14-9 with 20sec to play.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:54 pm MDlaxfan76's kid's alma mater rolling over Michigan, 14-9 with 20sec to play.
Amazing...
Last edited by faircornell on Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:54 pm MDlaxfan76's kid's alma mater rolling over Michigan, 14-9 with 20sec to play.
Make that 12-0 and another take down of an undefeated team. This type of streak must be unprecedented, don't you think?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

Joewillie please advise if you will be updating your Ivy NCAA prediction to 5 teams anytime soon.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”