D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: UVA at UNC

Post by wgdsr »

UVAlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:56 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:51 am
Maverick wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:46 am
blue angels wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:32 am
Maverick wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:18 am If UNC goes undefeated and Shelley craps the bed maybe. But when you pretty much disappear against a top teams #2 defender it really really hurts your odds. Big players step up in big games. He did not
In fairness to Grey, Kaestner is a Teewarton candidate despite having been the #2 cover prior to that game. He is a freak……..
Not saying he's a slouch and now he's more deserving of the tewey than gray. Gray should put up numbers if his defender ties him up with a rope if he wants that award
So Chris Gray is out of the competition for the Tewaarton trophy?
no way. Too early in year with too good of numbers. Think he still had 4 points against a monster defender. UNC makes a run and he is very much in it.
he had one point against kastner, and that was where he had to slide over to an open man and was compromised additionally by the field getting back. the assists weren't on him.
that's a good day at the office for #39.

gray was likely put at a disadvantage with the wet field, the teams will tangle again. #4 still has that team on his back, if they win he'll be in the mix. though the tewaaraton fixation is a bit much in lax. much prefer the debates about hoo the best player is. at least there is one this year.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Seemed like the Heels righted the ship for the second half of the 3rd (after a very bad first half of the quarter), but could not hit the cage to save their life. Not sure they win, but the game would have been tighter going into the 4th if they could have converted a few of those.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:33 am
UVAlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:41 am After being down 5-2, Virginia outscore them 13-6 rest of the way despite UNC goalie standing on its head, and two garbage goals. Defense settled in and Virginia was pretty solid in last 4 minutes of first through the end of the third.

UNC face off man and their ride created decent opportunities.

Virginia got a little sloppy and pressed at times after UNC keeper made some good saves, could have value ball more late in the 3rd and likely extended lead a bit more by getting better shots instead of making high risk passes by defensive middies.

Field was awful.

Will be exciting to get Saustead and Wayer back. Defense should be very good with this time allowing our depth to gain experience.

I thought UNC was much sloppier than UVA with passing.

Also, two of Moore’s goals can only qualify as improbable. No time left on shot clock each, defenseman all over him, shoots in the only possible blind spot of Krieger.

UVA is beatable.
What an inane post!
Improbable defines this UVA lacrosse team. It was improbable for Moore to hit 2 improbable, last second in the shot clock, goals against Yale in the 2019 NC. It was improbable for UVA to overcome a 5 goal deficit against UMD with under 10 minutes left and down 4, under 3.5 min left in the quarters. It was improbable for UVA to overcome a 2 goal deficit against Duke with under a minute left in the semi's.
Obviously, you have not watched Moore much. He has an excellent grasp of the shot clock in his head. Also, most unbiased observers might believe that when a guy who can with, "No time left on shot clock each, defenseman all over him, shoots in the only possible blind spot of Krieger." twice in the same game, he might be more skillful than improbably lucky.

Comments informed by a "woulda, coulda, shoulda, mindset are childish and much worse, boring.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

GSP wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:51 pm
UVAlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:41 am After being down 5-2, Virginia outscore them 13-6 rest of the way despite UNC goalie standing on its head, and two garbage goals. Defense settled in and Virginia was pretty solid in last 4 minutes of first through the end of the third.

Virginia got a little sloppy and pressed at times after UNC keeper made some good saves, could have value ball more late in the 3rd and likely extended lead a bit more by getting better shots instead of making high risk passes by defensive middies.

Field was awful.

Will be exciting to get Saustead and Wayer back. Defense should be very good with this time allowing our depth to gain experience.

Also, two of Moore’s goals can only qualify as improbable. No time left on shot clock each, defenseman all over him, shoots in the only possible blind spot of Krieger.

UVA is beatable.
What an inane post!
Improbable defines this UVA lacrosse team. It was improbable for Moore to hit 2 improbable, last second in the shot clock, goals against Yale in the 2019 NC. It was improbable for UVA to overcome a 5 goal deficit against UMD with under 10 minutes left and down 4, under 3.5 min left in the quarters. It was improbable for UVA to overcome a 2 goal deficit against Duke with under a minute left in the semi's.
Obviously, you have not watched Moore much. He has an excellent grasp of the shot clock in his head. Also, most unbiased observers might believe that when a guy who can with, "No time left on shot clock each, defenseman all over him, shoots in the only possible blind spot of Krieger." twice in the same game, he might be more skillful than improbably lucky.

Comments informed by a "woulda, coulda, shoulda, mindset are childish and much worse, boring.

Let me rephrase it. UVA played as well as they could and lady luck smiled on them, too.

Of course Moore is a great player. But both goals were blind shots to him and Krieger. I doubt he cans more than 10% of either shot if he had 100 attempts.

Meanwhile just before half, Kelly has an unobstructed view of the goal with no one on him, rips a high heater that clangs pipe. Would have staked Carolina to a two goal halftime lead.

Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks. I didn’t care which team won. I just think the canonization of UVA is premature based on last night
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Krieg.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:43 pmKrieg.
played a heck of a game.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HooDat wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:00 pm
played a heck of a game.
Is Krieg the best goalie in D1? He faced an onslaught of shots. impressive.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

blue angels wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:26 pm
played a heck of a game.
Is Krieg the best goalie in D1? He faced an onslaught of shots. impressive.
He's 49% on the year and has only been above 50% in two of UNC's seven games so I'm gonna go with no.

He was good last night, no doubt. Not even in the conversation for best in the country though
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Games against who? I'll be shocked if he even sniffs the award after his Houdini act last night
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:15 pm

Field was awful.

UVA is beatable.
What an inane post!

Let me rephrase it. UVA played as well as they could and lady luck smiled on them, too.

Of course Moore is a great player. But both goals were blind shots to him and Krieger. I doubt he cans more than 10% of either shot if he had 100 attempts.

Meanwhile just before half, Kelly has an unobstructed view of the goal with no one on him, rips a high heater that clangs pipe. Would have staked Carolina to a two goal halftime lead.

Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks. I didn’t care which team won. I just think the canonization of UVA is premature based on last night
Pretty humorous but know that is your shtick. You realize that Several Virginia shots also hit the cross bar. Are we not counting them? Krieg stood on his head and made 18 saves to keep this from a bigger margin. I do agree that No one should be thinking Virginia is untouchable and no Virginia fans on here have been anything but gracious. Many posters are fans of other teams though. Virginia will be hard pressed next week to win against Maryland but even that won’t determine who gets to Memorial Day weekend. There is a lot of Lacrosse left to play. I am surprised Loyola hasn’t started stronger this season. Hope they can put it together.
Last edited by blue angels on Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Field was awful.

UVA is beatable.
What an inane post!

UVA did Not play as you claim, "as well as they could." Based upon watching each of the other 5 UVA games, at least twice each, not even close to their best. Second, there is no such thing as luck, female or otherwise! It does not exist. Superstition should have been been left in the Middle Ages where it belonged.

As to the game, playing in that swamp with neither team wearing proper cleats produces inconclusive but still meaningful results. Having watched almost all of both teams games, and based upon the teams as they are currently configured, If they played the game 10 times, UVA would win at least 8 times and with Saustead, probably 9. It is ALL speculation. That is why they play the games.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

played a heck of a game.
Yes he did and he is a great goalie but primarily just wanted to emphasize he is Krieg and not Krieger as everyone was saying. Agree that with Saustad (I always spell it wrong) back the is a UVA win 8-9/10. Which is not 10/10 but if you just stack up their, say, top 10 players from each team, UVA has 13-14 and that usually translates to a win. An exception is great goalie play but UNC already got that here.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

blue angels wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:13 pm

Field was awful.

UVA is beatable.
What an inane post!

Pretty humorous but know that is your shtick. You realize that Several Virginia shots also hit the cross bar. Are we not counting them? Krieg stood on his head and made 18 saves to keep this from a bigger margin. I do agree that No one should be thinking Virginia is untouchable and no Virginia fans on here have been anything but gracious. Many posters are fans of other teams though. Virginia will be hard pressed next week to win against Maryland but even that won’t determine who gets to Memorial Day weekend. There is a lot of Lacrosse left to play. I am surprised Loyola hasn’t started stronger this season. Hope they can put it together.

Not to derail the UVA/UNC topic, but many Hounds fans would like Charlie to schedule one non-Top 20 program to start a season. We start every year with a heavyweight gauntlet which doesn’t allow the boys to get any groove.

UVA starts out with Air Force and High Point, we get Maryland, Hopkins (which granted might not be top-10, but throw out records when these two play each other), and Rutgers.

Maybe he’s right and maybe this will help us go undefeated in the Patriot League, but the problem is we can’t lose one league game now. So that tight wire isn’t really comfortable. The bizarre thing is, I think we’ve underperformed in every game. We are far better talent wise than the record, but at the end of the day, you are your record. Hoping we recruit the next Pat Spencer. Lol.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Field was awful.

UVA is beatable.
What an inane post!

Hating UVa is PBrown’s shtick, and it’s a tired one.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

As a Terps fan, I think Maryland is really really good this year.

Virginia looks just better. Virginia is honestly terrifying. Can’t think of a single weak spot on their team. Great defense, good goalie, great faceoff guy, and multiple matchup nightmares on offense. They’re clearly in my mind in the catbird’s seat for a third natty in a row.

I think UNC is going to struggle this year. There just seems to be no one who can beat their defender aside from Gray, the midfield is not very good, and the close defense struggles a lot with both cover and communication.

That being said this game was a great first half and incredibly enjoyable to watch. Until the second half where UVA just put the clamps on….
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:19 pm As a Terps fan, I think Maryland is really really good this year.

Virginia looks just better. Virginia is honestly terrifying. Can’t think of a single weak spot on their team. Great defense, good goalie, great faceoff guy, and multiple matchup nightmares on offense. They’re clearly in my mind in the catbird’s seat for a third natty in a row.

I think UNC is going to struggle this year. There just seems to be no one who can beat their defender aside from Gray, the midfield is not very good, and the close defense struggles a lot with both cover and communication.

That being said this game was a great first half and incredibly enjoyable to watch. Until the second half where UVA just put the clamps on….
pulp, i'm surprised maryland hasn't gone back to maltz yet and think it's a mistake. they're getting reasonable faceoff play this year and goalie may not be a strength yet, but next week should be a great game.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:19 pm As a Terps fan, I think Maryland is really really good this year.

UNC misses Perry. He could bomb so well from outside that it always initiated a scramble towards him when he got the ball up top that set the D and slides off axis. He either sent in a missile or could start it spinning again with the D off kilter, opened up alleys for those other than Gray to get to the crease.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:11 pm

Field was awful.

UVA is beatable.
What an inane post!

Not to derail the UVA/UNC topic, but many Hounds fans would like Charlie to schedule one non-Top 20 program to start a season. We start every year with a heavyweight gauntlet which doesn’t allow the boys to get any groove.

UVA starts out with Air Force and High Point, we get Maryland, Hopkins (which granted might not be top-10, but throw out records when these two play each other), and Rutgers.

Maybe he’s right and maybe this will help us go undefeated in the Patriot League, but the problem is we can’t lose one league game now. So that tight wire isn’t really comfortable. The bizarre thing is, I think we’ve underperformed in every game. We are far better talent wise than the record, but at the end of the day, you are your record. Hoping we recruit the next Pat Spencer. Lol.
non top 20 program? they had hopkins, didn't they? i kid, i kid. name all the non-loyola schools from the patriot league in the last 10 years who made the nc$$ as an at large. has to be on one hand.

they have to schedule up. they have the largest league and in-conference play in the country, like 8 games.

uva is beatable. you're claiming something that's been the case for every team constructed since like 2006 uva.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:11 pm

Field was awful.

UVA is beatable.
What an inane post!

non top 20 program? they had hopkins, didn't they? i kid, i kid. name all the non-loyola schools from the patriot league in the last 10 years who made the nc$$ as an at large. has to be on one hand.

they have to schedule up. they have the largest league and in-conference play in the country, like 8 games.

uva is beatable. you're claiming something that's been the case for every team constructed since like 2006 uva.
I'll be surprised if anyone not named Maryland beats UVA
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Maverick wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:37 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:11 pm

Field was awful.

UVA is beatable.
What an inane post!

I'll be surprised if anyone not named Maryland beats UVA
prepare to be surprised.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”