Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: Boston College

Post by Can Opener »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:22 pm Thnx.
Think I'm gonna hook up with Can Opener, I like that way.
Cool. My wife will be out of town, so the after-party will be at my house since. Steak on the grill, two cold IPAs, and fall asleep on the couch watching Sports Center at 8:30 pm.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Charlotte North

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

As DMac wrote recently, to paraphrase—the criticism toward Charlotte North on this board is so silly, (not to mention petty). I had a problem with North’s celebrations initially but after a while her talent and innovation and fire for the game overshadowed any minor objection I might have had to her celebrations.

Recent complaints about North:

Not that I’ve ever witnessed it, but she allegedly whines to the officials. If she does—yeah her and about a million other athletes who play sports. Oh, and to her credit, at least she’s no flopper if the calls don’t go her way.

She’s a one trick pony—all she does is score. We’ll ignore her draw controls and assists to say that.

She left Duke to come to Boston College to win a national championship. That one there is a real knee slapper. If she was really leaving Duke at the conclusion of the 2019 season for a sure thing, she would have gone to Maryland or North Carolina, not three time loser Boston College who had just graduated The Big Three along with 8 other mostly key players.

What else can she be criticized for? So folks don’t like her personality. Big deal. I don’t recall that hampering her or her teammates when they ran the gauntlet all the way to the top in 2021. Folks may not like Charlotte North for a number of things, but her on-field performance is about as pristine as it gets.

Dr. Tact

Re: Charlotte North

Post by Dr. Tact »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:04 am As DMac wrote recently, to paraphrase—the criticism toward Charlotte North on this board is so silly, (not to mention petty). I had a problem with North’s celebrations initially but after a while her talent and innovation and fire for the game overshadowed any minor objection I might have had to her celebrations.

Not that I’ve ever witnessed it, but she allegedly whines to the officials. If she does—yeah her and about a million other athletes who play sports. Oh, and to her credit, at least she’s no flopper if the calls don’t go her way.

She’s a one trick pony—all she does is score. We’ll ignore her draw controls and assists to say that.

She left Duke to come to Boston College to win a national championship. That one there is a real knee slapper. If she was really leaving Duke at the conclusion of the 2019 season for a sure thing, she would have gone to Maryland or North Carolina, not three time loser Boston College who had just graduated The Big Three along with 8 other mostly key players.

What else can she be criticized for? So folks don’t like her personality. Big deal. I don’t recall that hampering her or her teammates when they ran the gauntlet all the way to the top in 2021. Folks may not like Charlotte North for a number of things, but her on-field performance is about as pristine as it gets.

I agree with you. Still the best scorer in the game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't forget, she wasn't going to make Team USA either because...well, I don't know what the because is/was but there must be one (not).
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:00 am Don't forget, she wasn't going to make Team USA either because...well, I don't know what the because is/was but there must be one (not).
:roll: :lol:
Mrs@inthe8m

Re: Charlotte North

Post by Mrs@inthe8m »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:04 am As DMac wrote recently, to paraphrase—the criticism toward Charlotte North on this board is so silly, (not to mention petty). I had a problem with North’s celebrations initially but after a while her talent and innovation and fire for the game overshadowed any minor objection I might have had to her celebrations.

Agree 100%
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I agree that CN is the best scorer in the game, and to be honest with Scane out the second best scorer is not even close. There are plenty of great scorers in today's game but they can all be shut down to a large extent - first game of year BC held NW top 2 scorers to 1 goal combined, BC held Tyrrell to 1 goal in National Championship game etc. BC will do the same to Dukes top scorers later this year. Every team that plays BC game plans to stop CN and it usually involves multiple players and nobody can. She'll easily score 100 goals again this year and she will probably have more assists than any previous year. If she was really selfish she could score 125 goals. IMO CN and Kayla Treanor are the 2 most dynamic scorers to every play the sport. Think about that one for a while.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:29 am I agree that CN is the best scorer in the game, and to be honest with Scane out the second best scorer is not even close. There are plenty of great scorers in today's game but they can all be shut down to a large extent - first game of year BC held NW top 2 scorers to 1 goal combined, BC held Tyrrell to 1 goal in National Championship game etc. BC will do the same to Dukes top scorers later this year. Every team that plays BC game plans to stop CN and it usually involves multiple players and nobody can. She'll easily score 100 goals again this year and she will probably have more assists than any previous year. If she was really selfish she could score 125 goals. IMO CN and Kayla Treanor are the 2 most dynamic scorers to every play the sport. Think about that one for a while.
Appuzzo and has better stats than Treanor
And what do you think will happen next weekend against UNC?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Question: Am I right in saying that part of the strategy in wlax is to throw a pass to a teammate who is in position to draw the shooting space call? The intent of the pass would be to get the teammate a shot but the shooting space isn't going to allow her to shoot.
So much for assist stats....that should be an assist if the FPS is scored.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Carolina at Boston College

I think way too much significance is being put on this game coming up. So what if Carolina ends up spanking Boston College in their own backyard. They embarrassed BC in Carolina last year in the regular season. But when it came to the real game in the NCAA semifinal, Carolina couldn’t repeat the performance. Regular season clashes are largely insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

As to how the game will go – I make no predictions. But a blowout either way or a tight game either way with either team winning won’t surprise me.
Laxfan500

Re: Carolina at Boston College

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:20 pm I think way too much significance is being put on this game coming up. So what if Carolina ends up spanking Boston College in their own backyard. They embarrassed BC in Carolina last year in the regular season. But when it came to the real game in the NCAA semifinal, Carolina couldn’t repeat the performance. Regular season clashes are largely insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

As to how the game will go – I make no predictions. But a blowout either way or a tight game either way with either team winning won’t surprise me.
That wasn’t my question. I was asking how they thought the attackers and middies would match up with BC def as it held other teams to few other no goals
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:13 pm Question: Am I right in saying that part of the strategy in wlax is to throw a pass to a teammate who is in position to draw the shooting space call? The intent of the pass would be to get the teammate a shot but the shooting space isn't going to allow her to shoot.
Yeah it definitely can be. Depending on your game plan and the team you're playing, that can be a point of emphasis on the attack. I feel like I see it most frequently against a zone, but it could be used against other styles of defense too if you notice areas that can be exploited on film (if specific defenders are slow to slide, etc.).
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:20 pm I think way too much significance is being put on this game coming up. So what if Carolina ends up spanking Boston College in their own backyard. They embarrassed BC in Carolina last year in the regular season. But when it came to the real game in the NCAA semifinal, Carolina couldn’t repeat the performance. Regular season clashes are largely insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

I might be wrong, but I think people are just excited for some good lacrosse. I don't think anyone has forgotten how the different the two games were between them last year and don't think anyone will be quick to crown either team based on the result of this game. Neither team has swept the other since 2017.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:22 pm

That wasn’t my question. I was asking how they thought the attackers and middies would match up with BC def as it held other teams to few other no goals
I wasn’t quoting you or directing my post at you, Laxfan500. I have read in other places (as well as here) where this game is being over hyped. That’s what I was addressing.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:13 pm Question: Am I right in saying that part of the strategy in wlax is to throw a pass to a teammate who is in position to draw the shooting space call? The intent of the pass would be to get the teammate a shot but the shooting space isn't going to allow her to shoot.
Yeah, it's one strategy when the defenses are in a flexible zone or close man. You saw this in the Duke-Pitt game last night; Duke brings the ball to one side or below GLE, and the ball carrier moves to bring the defense and maybe the beginning of the double to her, and then sends the skip pass to the opposite side of the offense. This makes the defender scramble into shooting space. Duke did this repeatedly last night...and then passed out off the Eight. And right: no assist to the kid who created the play.
seacoaster

Re: UNC at Boston College

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:52 pm

I might be wrong, but I think people are just excited for some good lacrosse. I don't think anyone has forgotten how the different the two games were between them last year and don't think anyone will be quick to crown either team based on the result of this game. Neither team has swept the other since 2017.
One thing about this game, we all know: When they played early'ish last year, BC wasn't a champion, and no one expected the game to be really good or competitive. The hype comes from BC stepping in and denying UNC the championship trophy many of us -- me included -- had expected UNC kids to carry away.

I understand what you are saying -- "Regular season clashes are largely insignificant in the grand scheme of things" -- and I think that is true -- to you and me! To the athletes competing, I think it is very important. Sure, they have a chance to go at it later in the year when real chips are on the line. But the game is crucial to the athletes' respective competitive spirits, and to the coaching staffs' respective evaluations of matchups, defenses, offensive sets and myriad other things. It is hard to come into a game in, say, a conference final or national quarterfinal, and try to reverse an absolute thumping from earlier in the year.

For example (and respectfully), I think Loyola's QF game against Syracuse might have been more competitive if the meeting in the first game of the year wasn't a Syracuse win by a good margin. Loyola was without Fiedler; but Syracuse was without EH and Carney. A closer first game might have made the QF game closer.

Anyway, just a thought. Personally cannot wait for this game.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:46 pm

One thing about this game, we all know: When they played early'ish last year, BC wasn't a champion, and no one expected the game to be really good or competitive. The hype comes from BC stepping in and denying UNC the championship trophy many of us -- me included -- had expected UNC kids to carry away.

I understand what you are saying -- "Regular season clashes are largely insignificant in the grand scheme of things" -- and I think that is true -- to you and me! To the athletes competing, I think it is very important. Sure, they have a chance to go at it later in the year when real chips are on the line. But the game is crucial to the athletes' respective competitive spirits, and to the coaching staffs' respective evaluations of matchups, defenses, offensive sets and myriad other things. It is hard to come into a game in, say, a conference final or national quarterfinal, and try to reverse an absolute thumping from earlier in the year.

For example (and respectfully), I think Loyola's QF game against Syracuse might have been more competitive if the meeting in the first game of the year wasn't a Syracuse win by a good margin. Loyola was without Fiedler; but Syracuse was without EH and Carney. A closer first game might have made the QF game closer.

Regular season games also shape the team that shows up in the postseason but again, doesn't matter as much to you and me.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Full agreement here.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

It wasn't the quarterfinal where Cuse and Loyola met; it was the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

laxer12 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:47 pm

It wasn't the quarterfinal where Cuse and Loyola met; it was the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
Yeah, crappy seeding.... He was channeling what should have happened

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”