ODAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Wall Ball

Re: ODAC 2022

Post by Wall Ball »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:29 pm
434laxfan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:49 pm Super intrigued to see RMC v WAC tomorrow night. Didn't catch the CNU game, but a 2 point loss to a really strong CNU team opened my eyes. Salisbury is on another level at this point (at least in comparison to other schools in the south). If RMC handles WAC tomorrow this may be a team that could break into the ODAC top 4.

LYN will handle St Marys by 8+ goals, it's just the way Coach K runs the program. Thats a long bus ride home from salisbury after last weekend and they had a full week to prep for this one.

W&L v HSC will be telling. Couldn't believe Catholic beat them so i watched the york game and they really had no business losing that game until the very end. Gotta be consistent now that we are in March and W&L has a monster of a schedule from now until April 3.

Too early to prognosticate, but I hope ODAC has multiple teams receive NCAA bids, its better for everyone when that's the case!
I think RMC is in the mix to compete for a top 4 seed without beating WAC. But they should win by a few goals, at least 5/6.

St. Mary’s is definitely improving but Lynchburg will likely handle them just fine. This Lynchburg team is still growing and finding its identity. Agree with your take.

W&L and HSC should be a very good game. Both have good defenses and goalies. Both offenses have struggled against the better teams on their schedules.

With the ODAC performing the way it has out of league I think it will be tough for the conference to get multiple bids. HSC only has Catholic left OOC. Roanoke has Cortland (winnable, but the Dragons don’t look like a top 20 team). W&L has Gettysburg and CNU, if they can find a way to win those (long shot) and post a strong ODAC record they will be in the discussion because of the OOC SOS. But that is a lot of ifs. Lynchburg has Denison, CNU and Tufts. If they can win 2 of those and manage their in league well they could probably lose in the tournament and still get an at large. That is probably the only legit chance the ODAC has of being a 2 bid league.
Problem with the At Large Bids, CNU & Salisbury will take two slots since their conference doesn’t have an automatic bid. The tourney needs to expand and allow additional at large teams. Conference Champs need to be rewarded but open it up, there are plenty of teams to justify the expansion. NCAA doesn’t want to pay the price. Same problem at the D1 level. One bad lose can cost you an invite.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Wall Ball wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:40 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:29 pm
434laxfan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:49 pm Super intrigued to see RMC v WAC tomorrow night. Didn't catch the CNU game, but a 2 point loss to a really strong CNU team opened my eyes. Salisbury is on another level at this point (at least in comparison to other schools in the south). If RMC handles WAC tomorrow this may be a team that could break into the ODAC top 4.

LYN will handle St Marys by 8+ goals, it's just the way Coach K runs the program. Thats a long bus ride home from salisbury after last weekend and they had a full week to prep for this one.

W&L v HSC will be telling. Couldn't believe Catholic beat them so i watched the york game and they really had no business losing that game until the very end. Gotta be consistent now that we are in March and W&L has a monster of a schedule from now until April 3.

Too early to prognosticate, but I hope ODAC has multiple teams receive NCAA bids, its better for everyone when that's the case!
I think RMC is in the mix to compete for a top 4 seed without beating WAC. But they should win by a few goals, at least 5/6.

St. Mary’s is definitely improving but Lynchburg will likely handle them just fine. This Lynchburg team is still growing and finding its identity. Agree with your take.

W&L and HSC should be a very good game. Both have good defenses and goalies. Both offenses have struggled against the better teams on their schedules.

With the ODAC performing the way it has out of league I think it will be tough for the conference to get multiple bids. HSC only has Catholic left OOC. Roanoke has Cortland (winnable, but the Dragons don’t look like a top 20 team). W&L has Gettysburg and CNU, if they can find a way to win those (long shot) and post a strong ODAC record they will be in the discussion because of the OOC SOS. But that is a lot of ifs. Lynchburg has Denison, CNU and Tufts. If they can win 2 of those and manage their in league well they could probably lose in the tournament and still get an at large. That is probably the only legit chance the ODAC has of being a 2 bid league.
Problem with the At Large Bids, CNU & Salisbury will take two slots since their conference doesn’t have an automatic bid. The tourney needs to expand and allow additional at large teams. Conference Champs need to be rewarded but open it up, there are plenty of teams to justify the expansion. NCAA doesn’t want to pay the price. Same problem at the D1 level. One bad lose can cost you an invite.
The NCAA uses the same formula across all sports and divisions. The number of teams in the tournament is a percentage of the overall number of varsity programs. This is not new and will never change. Want more tourney teams, add more programs.
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:23 am The NCAA uses the same formula across all sports and divisions. The number of teams in the tournament is a percentage of the overall number of varsity programs. This is not new and will never change. Want more tourney teams, add more programs.
Interesting, I was not aware of this. IIRC, there are 34 tourney slots for ~248 men's DIII teams (~14%) and 17 tourney slots for ~75 men's DI teams (~23%).
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

smoova wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:54 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:23 am The NCAA uses the same formula across all sports and divisions. The number of teams in the tournament is a percentage of the overall number of varsity programs. This is not new and will never change. Want more tourney teams, add more programs.
Interesting, I was not aware of this. IIRC, there are 34 tourney slots for ~248 men's DIII teams (~14%) and 17 tourney slots for ~75 men's DI teams (~23%).
It’s a little less direct with that. This is not really my strong suit but this article should help. Number AQs relative to the overall field sounds like it plays a part as well. It can generate different rates. For example mens soccer is a 1/6.5 ratio while tennis is a 1/7.5 ratio.

http://www.diiilacrosse.com/p/division- ... p.html?m=1
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:51 am
smoova wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:54 am
It’s a little less direct with that. This is not really my strong suit but this article should help. Number AQs relative to the overall field sounds like it plays a part as well. It can generate different rates. For example mens soccer is a 1/6.5 ratio while tennis is a 1/7.5 ratio.

Thank you - very helpful. AQs have become the participation trophies of DIII lacrosse.
Dub

Post by Dub »

smoova wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:22 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:51 am It’s a little less direct with that. This is not really my strong suit but this article should help. Number AQs relative to the overall field sounds like it plays a part as well. It can generate different rates. For example mens soccer is a 1/6.5 ratio while tennis is a 1/7.5 ratio.

Thank you - very helpful. AQs have become the participation trophies of DIII lacrosse.
It isn't like DIII Lacrosse has a monopoly on that - In D1 basketball, App St and Norfolk St. played each other last year in a "first four" for the opportunity to get beat by almost half a hundred by Gonzaga. D1 basketball has 353 teams and their tourney is 68 schools! 19%. Sure CBS $$ come into play there. Just but statistically they are giving out far more participation trophies than D3 lax. Hell - they have entire 32 team participation trophy TOURNAMENT - the N.I.T. - which is run by the NCAA. 2 tournaments. 100 teams 28% of Div 1 basketball teams play in a post-season tournament.

So, I say kick it up - keep the AQs - and add more at-large teams.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dub wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:23 pm
smoova wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:22 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:51 am It’s a little less direct with that. This is not really my strong suit but this article should help. Number AQs relative to the overall field sounds like it plays a part as well. It can generate different rates. For example mens soccer is a 1/6.5 ratio while tennis is a 1/7.5 ratio.

It isn't like DIII Lacrosse has a monopoly on that - In D1 basketball, App St and Norfolk St. played each other last year in a "first four" for the opportunity to get beat by almost half a hundred by Gonzaga. D1 basketball has 353 teams and their tourney is 68 schools! 19%. Sure CBS $$ come into play there. Just but statistically they are giving out far more participation trophies than D3 lax. Hell - they have entire 32 team participation trophy TOURNAMENT - the N.I.T. - which is run by the NCAA. 2 tournaments. 100 teams 28% of Div 1 basketball teams play in a post-season tournament.

So, I say kick it up - keep the AQs - and add more at-large teams.
I think we’d all love to see a bigger field. but comparing D3 lacrosse to the NCAAs largest single revenue source isn’t exactly reality.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

W&L /HSC today, not a lot of confidence in this contest for the Gennies. HSC more experienced goalie and better shooting team. W&L will need to play very well only their A game will win. Furthermore can the Generals defeat a top 20 team or a team that’s over .500 at seasons end ( bottom half of ODAC should help that effort. WAC is 0-3 Baldwin Wallace is at 1-3.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
NotInTheOffice

Post by NotInTheOffice »

Possession time could be a deciding factor in today’s matchup. W&L vs HSC. The tigers are deadly with the ball but has had trouble getting it against solid opponents. Two good goalies. Poor weather.
9-6 HSC
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

6-3 seat of 2nd.
Brown is a nice player for St Mary’s
LYN showing a different offense attacking a it more from X. Brett Rogers on sidelines not dressed. Hope not serious injury. He’s a QB on O.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nice game Gennies, seems Perry struggled early on and the boys from Lex kept up the pressure, very nice win. Bullets up next maybe they can keep it going
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Well that should end the HSC hype. Perry may be good but needs a better defense in front of him. They were lost often. HSC has a problem at X just don’t have the play markers on O.
W&L finally shot well and did pick up pace of play. Clearing game a bit sloppy. 30TOs may be attributed to cold but that’s a big #.. Next 5 games with only 1 at home will be a tough stretch.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:03 am Well that should end the HSC hype. Perry may be good but needs a better defense in front of him. They were lost often. HSC has a problem at X just don’t have the play markers on O.
W&L finally shot well and did pick up pace of play. Clearing game a bit sloppy. 30TOs may be attributed to cold but that’s a big #.. Next 5 games with only 1 at home will be a tough stretch.
I didn’t want to mention the 30 turnovers just glad they won. They did appear to get to better shooting spaces throughout the game maybe that accounted for the improved shooting. I was shocked at Perry, he’s a very good goalie. No excuses but it did make me wonder that w that time of day, overcast and snow as a backdrop if he was picking the ball up late. At one point it seemed Like it did. I did not check but seemed like W&L scored 6 or 7 in a row before he made his next save. Nice win and have to give coaches and team credit.
NotInTheOffice

Post by NotInTheOffice »

The genies definitely showed up to play and earned the win. They rode well and made their shots count. HSC may have talent but going 20% on the dot and shooting 20% as well killed them. I’m afraid HSC may have hit their ceiling early this season with no answer at the face off x.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

NotInTheOffice wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:52 pm The genies definitely showed up to play and earned the win. They rode well and made their shots count. HSC may have talent but going 20% on the dot and shooting 20% as well killed them. I’m afraid HSC may have hit their ceiling early this season with no answer at the face off x.
Why is there this consensus that they have talent? They got run by left and right by an offense that hasn’t proven to be all that good yet. They looked overwhelmed clearing at times vs WLUs pressure. They faced a good defense that absolutely bottled them up with multiple shot clock violations and turnovers. They average 7gpg vs teams that have some talent. Their offense is not very good. They are probably better than they showed, but they are hardly bursting at the seems with talent.
islander

Post by islander »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:58 pm
NotInTheOffice wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:52 pm The genies definitely showed up to play and earned the win. They rode well and made their shots count. HSC may have talent but going 20% on the dot and shooting 20% as well killed them. I’m afraid HSC may have hit their ceiling early this season with no answer at the face off x.
Why is there this consensus that they have talent? They got run by left and right by an offense that hasn’t proven to be all that good yet. They looked overwhelmed clearing at times vs WLUs pressure. They faced a good defense that absolutely bottled them up with multiple shot clock violations and turnovers. They average 7gpg vs teams that have some talent. Their offense is not very good. They are probably better than they showed, but they are hardly bursting at the seems with talent.
Consensus they have talent comes from here:

Sean Duffy is a 4 year starter, returning AA, was ODAC ROY in 2019, possibly the best middle in the conference. Two new starters slide in with him on 1st mid.
Bobby Claggett is a known commodity at attack, 4 year contributor. Alongside him are: Ray O'brien is a 2nd year starter, younger brother of former 3 year starter Jake O'brien. Next to them is Ford Burke, transfer and younger brother of former AA John Burke.

With Duffy + supporting cast and name recognition, that's where you're seeing the assumption that they have a ton of talent. Only 2 seniors on the offensive end of the field though. Very young on O.

Nearly entire Defense is back including AA Nick Morgan + 4 year starters in Hitt and Ackaway, dmid Miller.

They don't have a FO guy. Their 3rd LSM (freshman) and top DMID Miller ^ have been taking all the face-offs.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

I agree with InsiderRoll. I wouldn’t say they have an extremely talented team. Besides Duffy they have some solid guys but no one that really jumps off the page and even Duffy doesn’t take over games against good teams.
d3dad6969

Post by d3dad6969 »

The Generals are putting it together. Sydney didn't get off the bus ready for an opponent like that. The Tigers are going to need some serious adjustments if they want to anywhere close to top 4 in ODAC.
Dehuntshigwa’es

The only top 20 team in the ODAC this year will be Lynchburg at year end
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:46 am The only top 20 team in the ODAC this year will be Lynchburg at year end
You’re the saltiest, grumpiest, and pessimistic person on the planet. Just convert fully to a York fan already.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”