Cornell 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
CU77

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by CU77 »

And will it still be streamed if it's moved indoors?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Latest weather prediction for Saturday, State College: Watching a potential winter storm. Snow during the morning will transition to snow showers during the afternoon. Morning high of 36F with temps falling to near 20. Winds NW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 100%. 3 to 5 inches of snow expected.

If they move it inside, here is the venue: https://gopsusports.com/sports/2018/8/8 ... -html.aspx
No seating for spectators, just a standing capacity for 50 spectators. I've never been inside the place.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

AboveCayugasWaters76

Post by AboveCayugasWaters76 »

Can't wait for Saturday's showdown. The Tambroni Bowl. Hope the Big Red are ready for a dog fight, but I know Coach Buczek will have them ready to go. Feel free to respond with any thoughts on Saturday's game.

-- LGR!
another fan

Post by another fan »

PSU lacrosse site now lists Holuba Hall as the game venue. Holuba Hall is primarily the indoor football practice facility. I know nothing about spectator capacity if any, lighting, or whether the game will still be streamed on BTN, although the site does still show streaming.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

another fan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:29 pm PSU lacrosse site now lists Holuba Hall as the game venue. Holuba Hall is primarily the indoor football practice facility. I know nothing about spectator capacity if any, lighting, or whether the game will still be streamed on BTN, although the site does still show streaming.
Per PSU twitter
Due to expected inclement weather, Saturday's game against Cornell will be played in Holuba Hall.

Unfortunately, that means the event will be closed to the public and no live stream will be available.

Follow along here and on live stats
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

AboveCayugasWaters76 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:44 am Can't wait for Saturday's showdown. The Tambroni Bowl. Hope the Big Red are ready for a dog fight, but I know Coach Buczek will have them ready to go. Feel free to respond with any thoughts on Saturday's game.

-- LGR!
Penn State has had a choppy start, and is a young team. They seem to be getting more settled, having now beaten Yale and lost a one goal game to Penn. I'm sure that Coach Tambroni has his team prepared. Cornell is, generally, a more seasoned squad, and when the offense is in form, they are among the best in the country. Our defense has shown the ability to support the team when the offense is slow. My chief concern is play in the indoor facility, which is a questionable place for a DI game based on past feedback from observers. Indoors, PSU has a unique advantage in knowing the space and its idiosyncrasies. Also, indoors, it may take a bit of time for Cornell to get its bearings. My hope is that after a possibly slow start that Cornell shows it's best abilities and has some good multi goal runs. The Cornell team is, truly, excellent this year.
another fan

Post by another fan »

While PSU may have some general advantage attributable to familiarity with the indoor facility and greater opportunity to practice there, I am most worried about the goalie play. Overall, Ierlan has been playing very well, but there have also been moments where he appears to miss on stoppable shots. I hope the indoor lighting does not exacerbate that tendency, as well as our slow starts.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:36 pm
AboveCayugasWaters76 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:44 am Can't wait for Saturday's showdown. The Tambroni Bowl. Hope the Big Red are ready for a dog fight, but I know Coach Buczek will have them ready to go. Feel free to respond with any thoughts on Saturday's game.

-- LGR!
Penn State has had a choppy start, and is a young team. They seem to be getting more settled, having now beaten Yale and lost a one goal game to Penn. I'm sure that Coach Tambroni has his team prepared. Cornell is, generally, a more seasoned squad, and when the offense is in form, they are among the best in the country. Our defense has shown the ability to support the team when the offense is slow. My chief concern is play in the indoor facility, which is a questionable place for a DI game based on past feedback from observers. Indoors, PSU has a unique advantage in knowing the space and its idiosyncrasies. Also, indoors, it may take a bit of time for Cornell to get its bearings. My hope is that after a possibly slow start that Cornell shows it's best abilities and has some good multi goal runs. The Cornell team is, truly, excellent this year.
Is it a full field? How is the lighting?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Chousnake wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:53 pm

-- LGR!
Is it a full field? How is the lighting?
Others may have added input. I believe that it is a full field, but with limited space around the perimeter. As noted in earlier posts, only 50 standing room spots are available for spectators. The complaints from a few years ago were that the lighting was unusual and that the sunlight coming through the windows was a distraction for those not used to it. I'm not sure if sun will be an issue if there's a storm.
another fan

Post by another fan »

https://gopsusports.com/sports/2018/8/8 ... -html.aspx

Not sure if there is natural light, but lots of indoor lighting. It's described as 2 side by side 80 yard practice fields.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

My info is no spectators except broadcasters. Only teams allowed in. Barry Leonard will be there and will broadcast the game on WHCU available on line as usual.
AboveCayugasWaters76

-- LGR!

Great takeaways. Can’t wait for the game. The Ithaca winter and overall Big Red mindset has prepared this team to play in any conditions… even inside. Thoughts on midfield depth? With Lombardi out, how will the team support a second line of midfielders?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2022/3/1 ... Oxe3vrhiHg

My only concerns are (1) PSU is familiar with the field, and (2) it is only 80 yards long! Lighting looks OK.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

laxfan1313 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:56 pm https://cornellbigred.com/news/2022/3/1 ... Oxe3vrhiHg

My only concerns are (1) PSU is familiar with the field, and (2) it is only 80 yards long! Lighting looks OK.
I was going to mention that it’s not a full sized field. Penn State Football may push to have it expanded at some point. It’s a competitive disadvantage in football.
“I wish you would!”
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

laxfan1313 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:56 pm https://cornellbigred.com/news/2022/3/1 ... Oxe3vrhiHg

That is not a lax field. Why not play on Sunday?
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

1313, Thanks for the more accurate information on the venue. In a best case scenario, this set-up could benefit Cornell. The offensive style that the team exhibits has strong box lacrosse influences. Teat, Donville and Peterson, Cornell's recently graduated box players, had that impact on Cornell's offensive styling. Coaches Milliman (now elsewhere) and Buczek both have box playing experience. The offense moves the ball amazingly well, and in a reduced field size, this assists a box style strategy. That is my "best case" view. My worry is that it may not be an immediately executed transition for the Red.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

faircornell wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:38 pm 1313, Thanks for the more accurate information on the venue. In a best case scenario, this set-up could benefit Cornell. The offensive style that the team exhibits has strong box lacrosse influences. Teat, Donville and Peterson, Cornell's recently graduated box players, had that impact on Cornell's offensive styling. Coaches Milliman (now elsewhere) and Buczek both have box playing experience. The offense moves the ball amazingly well, and in a reduced field size, this assists a box style strategy. That is my "best case" view. My worry is that it may not be an immediately executed transition for the Red.
Holuba Hall has two 80 yard fields side by side. See photo at the below link. Lighting appears OK but of course not as bright as sunlight.

https://gopsusports.com/sports/2018/8/8 ... -html.aspx
AboveCayugasWaters76

Watched the Lafayette game from indoors at PSU earlier this year. It is a full 110 yard lacrosse field. Good news for the Big Red. That extra 30 yards gives #27 and #2 more room to get downhill and run by SSDMs. Indoor facility shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

AboveCayugasWaters76 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:49 pm Watched the Lafayette game from indoors at PSU earlier this year. It is a full 110 yard lacrosse field. Good news for the Big Red. That extra 30 yards gives #27 and #2 more room to get downhill and run by SSDMs. Indoor facility shouldn’t be too much of an issue.
Not according to the PSU website but I hope so! Here's their description: "Holuba Hall is primarily the indoor practice facility for the Penn State football team, the massive Holuba Hall also serves as a practice and competition facility for many of Penn State's other athletic teams. Featuring two indoor 80-yard practice field side-by-side, the 118,000-square foot facility has a new field turf surface and plenty of space for everything from indoor golf and softball practice to lacrosse competitions and soccer workouts."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”