ODAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: ODAC 2022

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

smoova wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:27 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:19 pm W&L is no longer a lacrosse destination for kids looking at high academic schools and are losing recruits to lower end Patriot teams like Lafayette and HC. I am not sure where the recruiting focus is but it just does not seem like these schools have the same interest like they used to. Just my $.02 as a parent of a HS player. I would like to see these teams have great seasons and keep strong lacrosse traditions.
I think it's the mid/high-NESCACs (not the PL programs) that are taking the prime players off W&L's board. In my experience/opinion, W&L voluntarily squanders the advantage of being unconstrained by NESCAC recruiting timelines when it waits to commit most of its players until after Tufts/Williams/Amherst/Midd/Wesleyan are largely done with their classes. To wit, the 2022 class was loaded with kids overlooked by DI programs because of the COVID summer cancellations and extended DI dead period, but W&L only committed on player before July 20. The top half of the NESCAC had all of their top recruits committed at that point. McCabe could make a lot of hay by stepping up his recruiting efforts during the fall of recruits' junior years and offering his support to top recruits in May and June.
W&L does not do a great job in marketing themselves that’s the bottom line.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:44 pm
OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:19 pm W&L is no longer a lacrosse destination for kids looking at high academic schools and are losing recruits to lower end Patriot teams like Lafayette and HC. I am not sure where the recruiting focus is but it just does not seem like these schools have the same interest like they used to. Just my $.02 as a parent of a HS player. I would like to see these teams have great seasons and keep strong lacrosse traditions.
I think it's the mid/high-NESCACs (not the PL programs) that are taking the prime players off W&L's board. In my experience/opinion, W&L voluntarily squanders the advantage of being unconstrained by NESCAC recruiting timelines when it waits to commit most of its players until after Tufts/Williams/Amherst/Midd/Wesleyan are largely done with their classes. To wit, the 2022 class was loaded with kids overlooked by DI programs because of the COVID summer cancellations and extended DI dead period, but W&L only committed on player before July 20. The top half of the NESCAC had all of their top recruits committed at that point. McCabe could make a lot of hay by stepping up his recruiting efforts during the fall of recruits' junior years and offering his support to top recruits in May and June.
That is basically what I was saying. Marketing and recruiting are not the same thing? W&L does not market themselves to the top private schools and lacrosse clubs as well as the NESCAC schools do. (Smoova) is correct NESCAC schools are getting the same kids W&L should and W&L would if they recruited the 2024 class this summer. They are also a top academic destination and while I like CNU as a program it is not the same type of school so not recruiting the same players. RC, LYN, HS all have to compete with a big popular in-state school where they can play with friends from Loudoun and Richmond. CNU has become a destination for lacrosse and if you think it is just because they have fifth year seniors you will soon be disappointed. They also have a Young team that can play and more players looking to that school for lacrosse.
Dehuntshigwa’es

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:19 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:44 pm
That is basically what I was saying. Marketing and recruiting are not the same thing? W&L does not market themselves to the top private schools and lacrosse clubs as well as the NESCAC schools do. (Smoova) is correct NESCAC schools are getting the same kids W&L should and W&L would if they recruited the 2024 class this summer. They are also a top academic destination and while I like CNU as a program it is not the same type of school so not recruiting the same players. RC, LYN, HS all have to compete with a big popular in-state school where they can play with friends from Loudoun and Richmond. CNU has become a destination for lacrosse and if you think it is just because they have fifth year seniors you will soon be disappointed. They also have a Young team that can play and more players looking to that school for lacrosse.
We agree more than disagree. I prefaced my remarks by saying that CNU has been on the rise for the past 5-6 years. Just look at their record against the big 4 in the ODAC. I’m just saying that this year is an anomaly w 10 5th years same for St John Fischer w a large 5th year group it’s a huge advantage. This is CNU’s year to strike
Dehuntshigwa’es

ODAC is leaking ; HSC 3 Berry 18. Was there an event at HSC that prevented members of the team from playing ?
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:43 pm ODAC is leaking ; HSC 3 Berry 18. Was there an event at HSC that prevented members of the team from playing ?
Inside Lacrosse had the score reversed. I had checked the stream when is was "Berry 12 HSC 1" :D
NotInTheOffice

Post by NotInTheOffice »

Big game this Saturday in Lexington - W&L v. HSC.
Any predictions?
NotInTheOffice

Post by NotInTheOffice »

As far as recruiting/marketing goes..

CNU/LYN has been successful on the field and that is mainly all high school kids care about. In my opinion, kids don’t care about the glory days of Roanoke, W&L and HSC.

Also, CNU’s tuition is dirt cheap and that’s all most parents care about. I’m not saying parents don’t want their kids to go to a good academic school but $ is a huge factor in my opinion.
W&LLover

Post by W&LLover »

Saw the HSC v. Berry score on inside lacrosse. Absolutely shocked. I don’t know what went wrong, but this is a terrible loss for HSC. They need to figure it out for Saturday against W&L or it will be a rough game for the tigers.
NotInTheOffice

Post by NotInTheOffice »

W&LLover wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:32 pm Saw the HSC v. Berry score on inside lacrosse. Absolutely shocked. I don’t know what went wrong, but this is a terrible loss for HSC. They need to figure it out for Saturday against W&L or it will be a rough game for the tigers.
IL got the score reversed. HSC pulled their starters at halftime.
droliver

Post by droliver »

Admissions are actually a real barrier for W&L here.

W&L is brutally competitive for undergrad admissions. It's anecdotal, but one of my son's HS teammates in 2018 was a National Merit semi-finalist and had D1 lacrosse offers from High Point, Richmond, and preferred walk-on offers at UNC and was NOT admitted at W&L (where he wanted to go). He ending up taking a full ride academic scholarship (as an out of state non-minority student nonetheless, which is rare) to Georgia and not playing in college. My older son (class of 2019) was at the summer W&L prospect day and Coach McCabe told the attendees that they had already run up against any admission help they were allowed that cycle and he'd love to have you play, but you were on your own on for admissions.

I don't think that admissions reality exists for any other ODAC school.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Prospective athletes very rarely get an extra boost in the admission process. There is way too much focus on “diversity at any cost,” and this has affected the students that are admitted.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Faxlax wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:52 pm Prospective athletes very rarely get an extra boost in the admission process. There is way too much focus on “diversity at any cost,” and this has affected the students that are admitted.
Wouldn’t that mean you could just recruit really good minority athletes and they would have a boost in admissions? I’m not sure you actually know what you’re talking about.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Actually, I am very involved in what goes on with The Administration and diversity efforts, While there is a lot of money and a huge effort being spent on improving diversity, diverse athletes are predominately in a few sports, and lax is not one of them.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Faxlax wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:12 am Actually, I am very involved in what goes on with The Administration and diversity efforts
Faxlax wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:52 pm There is way too much focus on “diversity at any cost,”
You’re either a liar or the most two-faced employee on the planet. Sounds like your very against these elite “white”schools making an effort to diversify their student body. It’s not the 70’s anymore. There’s plenty of good minority players, you just have to be willing to look.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:47 am There’s plenty of good minority players, you just have to be willing to look.
I agree, but even minorities need incredible grades to get into schools like W&L, MIT, Swathmore, ect. The bar is lowered but still higher than most schools.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Gentlemen,
Please create a separate post for this..no need for name calling..

Interested to see
WAC vs. RMC - WAC struggling early but showed signs of cohesion 2nd half last game
HSC vs. W&L - big tilt will tell us a lot. Seemed W&L wants to play faster and made some mistakes yesterday. Offense is just not sharp. Looks like 90% rain Saturday.. Home field for W&L could factor but think this one will be a close one with HSC winning by 2..
St. Mary’s vs LYN - LYN will have something to prove after SAL loss. They are home and will win by 10
NOKE will smoke Guilford then play Cortland Tuesday. Cortland is down this year and NOKE beat Catholic and OWU and played Dickinson closely. Thinking they are improving at faster clip and will handle Cortland and be in the ODAC mix..
Funny how Catholic is in the rankings of some pollsters with the loss to NOKE 🤔
We’re past early season sloppiness.
Let’s get it on!!
Dehuntshigwa’es

No one in the ODAC is winning the championship other than Lynchburg, it’s just not even close. This more of a comment as to how weak the conf is rather than how good Lynchburg is. W&L / HSC matchup is a toss up but I’m leaning towards HSC, both are weak at the dot W&L 48% HSC 38%, W&L can’t shoot they are at a 24% rate whereas HSC is 31%. HSC has at least scored, 69 goals in 5 games W&L has 49 goals after 5 contests. Watched the HSC /Cabrini game and they were competitive. W&L played York in its season opener, York held on by a goal. Giving HSC the edge.W&L goalie has been solid but will need another York performance for Gennies to win. Hope both teams play well and it’s a good game
434laxfan

Post by 434laxfan »

Super intrigued to see RMC v WAC tomorrow night. Didn't catch the CNU game, but a 2 point loss to a really strong CNU team opened my eyes. Salisbury is on another level at this point (at least in comparison to other schools in the south). If RMC handles WAC tomorrow this may be a team that could break into the ODAC top 4.

LYN will handle St Marys by 8+ goals, it's just the way Coach K runs the program. Thats a long bus ride home from salisbury after last weekend and they had a full week to prep for this one.

W&L v HSC will be telling. Couldn't believe Catholic beat them so i watched the york game and they really had no business losing that game until the very end. Gotta be consistent now that we are in March and W&L has a monster of a schedule from now until April 3.

Too early to prognosticate, but I hope ODAC has multiple teams receive NCAA bids, its better for everyone when that's the case!
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

434laxfan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:49 pm Super intrigued to see RMC v WAC tomorrow night. Didn't catch the CNU game, but a 2 point loss to a really strong CNU team opened my eyes. Salisbury is on another level at this point (at least in comparison to other schools in the south). If RMC handles WAC tomorrow this may be a team that could break into the ODAC top 4.

LYN will handle St Marys by 8+ goals, it's just the way Coach K runs the program. Thats a long bus ride home from salisbury after last weekend and they had a full week to prep for this one.

W&L v HSC will be telling. Couldn't believe Catholic beat them so i watched the york game and they really had no business losing that game until the very end. Gotta be consistent now that we are in March and W&L has a monster of a schedule from now until April 3.

Too early to prognosticate, but I hope ODAC has multiple teams receive NCAA bids, its better for everyone when that's the case!
I think RMC is in the mix to compete for a top 4 seed without beating WAC. But they should win by a few goals, at least 5/6.

St. Mary’s is definitely improving but Lynchburg will likely handle them just fine. This Lynchburg team is still growing and finding its identity. Agree with your take.

W&L and HSC should be a very good game. Both have good defenses and goalies. Both offenses have struggled against the better teams on their schedules.

With the ODAC performing the way it has out of league I think it will be tough for the conference to get multiple bids. HSC only has Catholic left OOC. Roanoke has Cortland (winnable, but the Dragons don’t look like a top 20 team). W&L has Gettysburg and CNU, if they can find a way to win those (long shot) and post a strong ODAC record they will be in the discussion because of the OOC SOS. But that is a lot of ifs. Lynchburg has Denison, CNU and Tufts. If they can win 2 of those and manage their in league well they could probably lose in the tournament and still get an at large. That is probably the only legit chance the ODAC has of being a 2 bid league.
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:29 pm
434laxfan wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:49 pm Super intrigued to see RMC v WAC tomorrow night. Didn't catch the CNU game, but a 2 point loss to a really strong CNU team opened my eyes. Salisbury is on another level at this point (at least in comparison to other schools in the south). If RMC handles WAC tomorrow this may be a team that could break into the ODAC top 4.

I think RMC is in the mix to compete for a top 4 seed without beating WAC. But they should win by a few goals, at least 5/6.

St. Mary’s is definitely improving but Lynchburg will likely handle them just fine. This Lynchburg team is still growing and finding its identity. Agree with your take.

W&L and HSC should be a very good game. Both have good defenses and goalies. Both offenses have struggled against the better teams on their schedules.

With the ODAC performing the way it has out of league I think it will be tough for the conference to get multiple bids. HSC only has Catholic left OOC. Roanoke has Cortland (winnable, but the Dragons don’t look like a top 20 team). W&L has Gettysburg and CNU, if they can find a way to win those (long shot) and post a strong ODAC record they will be in the discussion because of the OOC SOS. But that is a lot of ifs. Lynchburg has Denison, CNU and Tufts. If they can win 2 of those and manage their in league well they could probably lose in the tournament and still get an at large. That is probably the only legit chance the ODAC has of being a 2 bid league.
Problem with the At Large Bids, CNU & Salisbury will take two slots since their conference doesn’t have an automatic bid. The tourney needs to expand and allow additional at large teams. Conference Champs need to be rewarded but open it up, there are plenty of teams to justify the expansion. NCAA doesn’t want to pay the price. Same problem at the D1 level. One bad lose can cost you an invite.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”