Christopher Newport University

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Wall Ball

Re: Christopher Newport University

Post by Wall Ball »

Close game today 14-12 Captains win. Better 2nd half than first. Captains able to comeback a couple of times to tie and take the lead. Gut game.
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

Great win against an ODAC rival. All 3 phases of the games played real well. Good to see the bench playing today. The Captains had 4 hat tricks, with Miller, Cook, Deal, Altobello. 14 players making the stat sheet. Big stat was Cabaniss winning 70% of his face-offs. This has been the Captains Achilles heal the past couple of seasons since Tony Cruz left in 2018. Grove City comes to Newport News on Wednesday. Captains are 8-2 against HS the past 10 Games.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

CNU played extremely well against what’s a solid HSC group. Thought CNU might beat them by a lot and they did. Couldn’t find any holes in that lineup. Multiple hat tricks bodes well
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

21-9 Captians win over Grove City. The streaming announcers Randy Foster and Andy McGregor had FoGo Warner Cabaniss @ 60% and Drew Miller with 7 points as the teams, players of the game. Alex Brendes scored 4 goals. The Captains out shot GC 60-25. As usual the Defense was stingy and played a very tight D. The Captains travel up north on Saturday to play Catholic University.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Any insight on the catholic game?
Laxisback

Post by Laxisback »

Goldenboy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:53 am Any insight on the catholic game?
CNU outplayed Catholic in all aspects of the game. It was 10-6 at half and CNU put 7 on them in the third quarter. CNU looked much faster with ball movement and speed on the field. It looked like Catholic got caught ball watching. CNU also dominated the face off, their freshman face off guy is having a great start to his career.
jblah

Post by jblah »

Goldenboy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:53 am Any insight on the catholic game?
It was close for about a minute late in the first period, but CNU's attack was pretty much unstoppable and able to score at will.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Predictions for the CNU v. Ursinus game?

I'm thinking 18-10 CNU, going to be hard stopping the Captain's offense and faceoff unit.
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

29-8 Captains win over Illinois Wesleyan this afternoon. Big day for Cabaniss winning 13-19 FO. Nice to see such an upgrade from the previous seasons. Dylan Rice with a Sock Trick 6 goals. 15 players scoring a goal today. 25 caused turnovers. Goalie Hanway was spectacular finding the deep open player to start the transition.
Good Luck next weekend at the Mustang Classic, Gettysburg and Lynchburg.
Goldenboy

Post by Goldenboy »

Defense is playing super well, even after losing two of their top guys for the season. FO unit is probably the best it’s been since I’ve started watching. The offense looks unstoppable. This is going to be one dangerous team as the season progresses. Looking forward to the mustang classic.
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

Good luck boys, glad the game is in Newport News. Bigger game for the Captains.
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

What a dominate display by the Captains crushing Salisbury. I’ve never seen Salisbury look so average. 17-7 sell out crowd. Huge victory.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Congratulations Captains! Well played
Laxguy703

Re: Christopher Newport University 2021

Post by Laxguy703 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:17 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:22 am
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:46 pm
JustPassingThrough wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:49 pm
Laxguy703 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:35 pm
LI_Lax14 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:47 am Heck of alot of talent returning here. Curious who the big time transfer is.
Did some asking around and apparently it is former Atlee graduate and current University of Richmond lacrosse player Andrew Cook. He's the brother of recent 5th year Jack Cook. Anyone who has seen this guy play knows that he is a major addition to the Captains midfield.(Maybe even Attack?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZTE7UkIKZg
Is a guy that was a career reserve and scored 2 goals in four years really “Big Time” transfer? I gets it’s from D1, but a back up from a middle tier D1 team shouldn’t be that dramatic of a needle pusher for a D3 team that has legitimate national championship aspirations.
Looks like he did two seasons at Richmond, so he'll have up to three at CNU. Yes, just two goals, but looks like he played in their competitive early season games vs Loyola, UNC, and Towson (vs putting up 'empty' stats in the VMI and Bellarmine routs). But DNPs for the end of season Air Force and High Point games, so who knows.

6'2" 200# is a big middie esp at D3 and he's a kid CNU would have been very happy to get out of HS. Seems like he'll add good depth, but not a piece that would worry Salisbury at this point. Will be interesting to see how the spring plays out.
I would agree it’s a helpful addition and a guy that would have been considered a great D3 recruit coming out of HS. He just still needs to prove that he can be an impactful guy at the college level. CNU is certainly gearing up to make a good run in 2022, their growth has been fun to watch.
This kid Andrew Cook after 2 yrs of competitive D1 lacrosse will be a significant addition to CNU’s program. He’ll jump off the page on a D3 field with his size and experience having competed at the D1 level for 2 years. All the D3 programs w 5th year recruits will dominate the D3 landscape until 5th year eligibility expires. Wish W&L got this kid
Jump off the page? I think you’re seriously overestimating the gap between top tier D-3 and middle tier D-1. Maybe he will be great, but a guy with 2 career goals is hardly a lock to be an All-American caliber transfer. You’ve been around long enough to know better. This kid is a low money D-1 player. W&L should be beating out Richmond for low scholarship level recruits out of high school anyways.
Looks like this transfer turned out to be pretty big time for the Captains after all. 4 goals this past weekend and if not for a few great saves by the Salisbury goalie, it could’ve been more. Cook currently has 42 Goals/10 Assists and was named a mid-season first team All-American by IL.

I’ve seen some talk around forum boards about how this year may be an outlier. Talking to people within in the program, I really believe this team is going to be dominant for years to come. Their incoming class is filled with studs and as long as Mikey Thompson is the head coach there, they will be a top 5 team.
allthingsODAC

Post by allthingsODAC »

If I was a betting man I think CNU takes it this year. The SU win locked this in for me. They dominate in every aspect. Wayne shuts down anyone he covers and the rest of their d is not far behind. Offense is outstanding. They ride hard and dominate ground balls and are one of the best coached teams right now. Don't think anyone is stopping them.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:47 am Heck of alot of talent returning here. Curious who the big time transfer is.
Did some asking around and apparently it is former Atlee graduate and current University of Richmond lacrosse player Andrew Cook. He's the brother of recent 5th year Jack Cook. Anyone who has seen this guy play knows that he is a major addition to the Captains midfield.(Maybe even Attack?)

Is a guy that was a career reserve and scored 2 goals in four years really “Big Time” transfer? I gets it’s from D1, but a back up from a middle tier D1 team shouldn’t be that dramatic of a needle pusher for a D3 team that has legitimate national championship aspirations.
Looks like he did two seasons at Richmond, so he'll have up to three at CNU. Yes, just two goals, but looks like he played in their competitive early season games vs Loyola, UNC, and Towson (vs putting up 'empty' stats in the VMI and Bellarmine routs). But DNPs for the end of season Air Force and High Point games, so who knows.

6'2" 200# is a big middie esp at D3 and he's a kid CNU would have been very happy to get out of HS. Seems like he'll add good depth, but not a piece that would worry Salisbury at this point. Will be interesting to see how the spring plays out.
I would agree it’s a helpful addition and a guy that would have been considered a great D3 recruit coming out of HS. He just still needs to prove that he can be an impactful guy at the college level. CNU is certainly gearing up to make a good run in 2022, their growth has been fun to watch.
This kid Andrew Cook after 2 yrs of competitive D1 lacrosse will be a significant addition to CNU’s program. He’ll jump off the page on a D3 field with his size and experience having competed at the D1 level for 2 years. All the D3 programs w 5th year recruits will dominate the D3 landscape until 5th year eligibility expires. Wish W&L got this kid
Jump off the page? I think you’re seriously overestimating the gap between top tier D-3 and middle tier D-1. Maybe he will be great, but a guy with 2 career goals is hardly a lock to be an All-American caliber transfer. You’ve been around long enough to know better. This kid is a low money D-1 player. W&L should be beating out Richmond for low scholarship level recruits out of high school anyways.
I think he’s jumped off the page considering my comment from last summer all you had to do was see his tape. He’s got a shot at AA maybe first team
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:34 pm

I think he’s jumped off the page considering my comment from last summer all you had to do was see his tape. He’s got a shot at AA maybe first team
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I have been saying that this is the beat team I have seen play, but do not count out Berkman and Salisbury just yet it is hard to beat teams three times which is what I assume that CNU will have e to do to get to the finals. I would be excited to watch a RIT CNU final game as that could be 21-20.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I have been saying that this is the best team I have seen play, but do not count out Berkman and Salisbury just yet it is hard to beat teams three times which is what I assume that CNU will have e to do to get to the finals. I would be excited to watch a RIT CNU final game as that could be 21-20.
Oaklax

Post by Oaklax »

Congrats to Max Wayne on being drafted in the PLL! Round 3 pick 21. Very cool experience for him and for Division 3 as a whole. Hopefully this will open up some doors in the future with getting D3 players into the PLL.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”