Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Big Dog wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:33 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:59 pm
OCanada wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:32 pm Your point seems to be that the Bloomberg gift can be used as a supplement for athletes.

Bloomberg has never funded athletic related activities.

After the 2008 financial debacle hit the country Hopkins found itself accepting less qualified students who could afford the tuition as opposed to more qualified students who could not. Hopkins wanted to reverse that situation.

The purpose of the Bloomberg gift was to enable that to happen. That is, to allow highly qualified students to attend regardless of financial standing.

Bloomberg gave a restricted gift eg it defines eligibility. Once defined it has to have a process. Given the Bloomberg history and the purpose of the gift i believe it is a stretch to think there are not guidelines attached but maybe there are none. In order to know the language of the gift needs go be public. Personally i would like to read it tho i co know someone who might have it.

About the same time Hopkins did away with preferences for kids of alums for much the same region. Upgrade the student body.

If anyone has the language governing the grant and the administrative policies and procedures that would be helpful.

It would be illustrative to see a comparison between say UNC with instate tuition and Hopkins at 70k giving a net.
If I'm not mistaken, and surely someone with greater knowledge will correct me if I am, Hopkins need-based aid is, like at Ivies, blind to any other factor after an admissions decision has been made.

Once "in", financial aid calculations happen. And it doesn't matter why you got in, what your SAT's were, you're eligible based on whatever your financial metrics determine.

Totally separate.

And it's very generous.

Yes, this allows any potential student, regardless of financial situation, to apply on the merits alone.

As to athletes, if you pass the admissions criteria, which don't look at your financial qualifications at all, you are eligible for aid.

At Ivies there are no additional athletic scholarships, eg the 12+ that Hopkins has. Someone else can explain the granular details of what any of that means to overlapping aid, but I think if someone gets athletic aid that reduces the amount they are eligible for on a need basis. How that comes into play for negotiating with families could be complex, but I suspect there's some ways that those who are eligible for lots of need based aid get that 100% of that form of aid while those who wouldn't get much might well get more of the athletic aid.

But I don't really know how those mechanics work...I know more about how the Ivies do it.

But in any case, Hopkins has an Ivy-level needs based aid program plus the athletic pool of $. I don't think any other program has as a better situation than that.

Indeed, anything better would very likely be way out of bounds per NCAA rules.

Of course, we now have this whole 'athletes can make money' thing, so that's a whole new factor. Where a kid can get the most public exposure to monetize could well be a factor going forward.
Almost spot on. There is Ivy need-based aid and then their is HYP need-based aid, which is the most generous. Stanford and Hopkins are at that extremely generous level of need-based aid, where sone families making $200k or have a million dollar house can qualify for some of that tax-free money. Of the Ivies, Cornell used to be the least generous, but its been a few years since I ran actual numbers. (But Cornell does have its contract 'state' colleges in which to matriculate a recruit to obtain a discount.) Historically, ND has been pretty cheap.
No disagreement.
Dartmouth keeps adjusting to catch up to HYP, but usually lags in the financial aid arms race a couple of years.
If I'm not mistaken, right there with HYP right now, and now need based also applies to international.

My impression was that Hopkins is now right there too with HYP, but I didn't want to overstate, thus "Ivies".
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Interesting discussion. Let’s just agree that if Johns Hopkins is losing out on some recruits, it’s probably not based on financial reasons.

Also, I suspect that lacrosse scholarships, even when small, have a certain prestige factor that probably far outweighs the actual monetary value. Even a student-athlete receiving $1,000 a year can boast that they are attending Hopkins with an athletic scholarship. Those small things can matter.

Anyway, I think it’s simply wrong to say the current Hopkins roster is lacking the talent to compete at a high level. They just don’t seem to be playing in sync with each other. That’s most obvious on offense, but the same can be said for the defense with respect to their off-ball play.

Frankly, I think they could use the next few games to gel a bit more as a team on the field. Hard to do in the chill of February with such a grueling schedule.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:22 pm Interesting discussion. Let’s just agree that if Johns Hopkins is losing out on some recruits, it’s probably not based on financial reasons.
It does happen, but:

1) It also happens to every single Ivy, plus Duke, Georgetown, Notre Dame, and every other high-level private university as well as some of the more expensive publics for out-of-state students (namely Virginia and Michigan)

and

2) It's not the majority of cases

It is one component of a much, much broader discussion over recruiting and not the most important one IMO. Because, again, many of our direct competitors cost the same or more and either can't offer scholarships or don't provide as much finaid as we do. So because of that one could argue we're actually in much better shape from a cost-to-attend standpoint than those schools.

Another thing that comes into play with cost is location: Hopkins is drivable to/from as far north as upstate NY to as south as Carolina. Not every school is the same and the cost of plane tickets/transporting stuff long distance can add up. In addition to ND's tuition being about the same as ours I'd wager it costs a nontrivial amount more for a recruit from, say, Long Island, to go to a place like Notre Dame than it would to JHU given transportation and storage costs over a 4-year period.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Financial aid has nothing to do with the fact that we have exactly one offensive player on the roster with more than 2 goals than turnovers, that some of the issues that plagued us two seasons ago-goal ending, turnovers, size/athleticism at midfield, to start are still gaping holes. The staff knew coming in that this was Johns Hopkins University in a pandemic and they were going to be handcuffed by an administration taking a hardline on the pandemic and who knows what else. So far it's hard to see the improvement or difference other than fact we're not inundated by reminders of titles won 15 and 30 years ago when things go south.

Boeheim U is sunday w/an opportunity to breathe fresh life into a still developing season. Going to be an emotional week and I'm sure there will be legions of old familiar faces on hand who I hope will get shoutouts on tv. Really hope the big js and espn folks step up and give the game the proper coverage it deserves.

Andrew Cote who was mentioned earlier has built a very strong young career for himself. Not every lacrosse player goes pro in bro.
https://www.ndia.org/events/2021/4/14/n ... ndrew-cote
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:01 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:06 pm Nowhere in there does it have an injury report heading or list anything about a "starting lineup". The closest thing is Key Personnel which just lists point scorers/stat getters so far this year outside of Chauvette who did get a game start and Marcille. Nothing to even be lying about in the "gaem 6" titled PDF.
It's implied those kids are available to play. Towson proudly touted that there were several dozen media members credentialed to cover our game there. They read this blog intensively which we know and it's their job too to report this stuff.

hopkins beat yeshiva today.

I don't know how to cut film, but someone smarter than me who could do that could've built quite a following the last several years taking the jays game miscues and putting them into a youtube video. Maybe even the espn folks could put in a little time on the clown stuff we saw last weekend like degnon trying and failing 3-4 times to pick up a gb with one hand on his stick or the the lilly clear where standing alone with no pressure he threw it right to a unc defender or martin loafing getting back in transition on a goal scored by a faceoff man for the second week in a row. And that's to start. Then there's the second midfield's no show for most of the season.

by the way I think we beat uva tomorrow. Desperate jay team, enough tape by now to get things figured out, and decent weather. 14-11 hopkins.
Just looking back on some of these from UbC game. You mention Martin, agree he looked very lazy and carefree during UnC. Saw some of that during UVA as well.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Also, let’s hope SU can’t hit the net. They will definitely be getting there shots off with some of those SS middle match ups.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Mightyjoe wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:49 pm Also, let’s hope SU can’t hit the net. They will definitely be getting there shots off with some of those SS middle match ups.
Honest question - has it really been the SSDMs who have been the problem in the last two games? I'm not going to go back and watch again (what Hop fan would voluntarily do that?), but my anecdotal impression is that it's primarily been a function of bad off ball defense leading to a lot of open shooters off ball movement. Many that's because guys are getting beaten off the dodge initially, but it hasn't really been my impression that's it's individuals getting beat and more that it's just been bad team defense. Would be interested in people's opinions.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:49 pm
Mightyjoe wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:49 pm Also, let’s hope SU can’t hit the net. They will definitely be getting there shots off with some of those SS middle match ups.
Honest question - has it really been the SSDMs who have been the problem in the last two games? I'm not going to go back and watch again (what Hop fan would voluntarily do that?), but my anecdotal impression is that it's primarily been a function of bad off ball defense leading to a lot of open shooters off ball movement. Many that's because guys are getting beaten off the dodge initially, but it hasn't really been my impression that's it's individuals getting beat and more that it's just been bad team defense. Would be interested in people's opinions.
I made the mistake of watching again and man it is worse the second time. Owen McManus had a tough game. I keep coming back to this - what are the Jays getting out of the Seniors/GR? If there is a D1 team getting less out of their senior leadership group please let me know who that is because I find it hard to believe it’s possible.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

Individual match-ups create the need for off ball defense along with a good timed slide here and there.
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

2022, I restate my earlier comment…….
Also, let’s hope SU can’t hit the net. They will definitely be getting there shots off with some of those Defense match ups.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Mightyjoe wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:58 pm 2022, I restate my earlier comment…….
Also, let’s hope SU can’t hit the net. They will definitely be getting there shots off with some of those Defense match ups.
Thanks. I feel a lot better now.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:35 pm
nyjay wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:49 pm
I made the mistake of watching again and man it is worse the second time. Owen McManus had a tough game. I keep coming back to this - what are the Jays getting out of the Seniors/GR? If there is a D1 team getting less out of their senior leadership group please let me know who that is because I find it hard to believe it’s possible.
They need more Canadian players!!!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:03 pm Andrew Cote who was mentioned earlier has built a very strong young career for himself. Not every lacrosse player goes pro in bro.
https://www.ndia.org/events/2021/4/14/n ... ndrew-cote
Reading this maybe he should have played - seems like he could have absorbed Petro's defenses
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan 16.

No, I am not referencing the twins.

The other school was ND. This was earlier when the spread was different presented by parents. No discussion of details Both used as illustrations

I don’t follow recruiting much anymore but I do know some parents and players and coaches and ADs past snd present
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MdLaxFan/HopFan16

Does Hopkins still ease admission criteria for some lax players or are they held to the same admission criteria?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:58 pm HopFan 16.

No, I am not referencing the twins.

The other school was ND. This was earlier when the spread was different presented by parents. No discussion of details Both used as illustrations

I don’t follow recruiting much anymore but I do know some parents and players and coaches and ADs past snd present
notre dame is now $77,000. keep chiming in, though.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://dailyorange.com/2022/03/syracus ... ns-legacy/

so far the only story I've seen on petro from this week. really well done for a college paper.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:28 pm MdLaxFan/HopFan16

Does Hopkins still ease admission criteria for some lax players or are they held to the same admission criteria?
:lol: I assume you're not serious.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:28 pm Does Hopkins still ease admission criteria for some lax players or are they held to the same admission criteria?
I've relayed this story before but I was told by a very respected Hopkins coach in another sport a few years ago that lacrosse was the only sport that enjoyed "eased" admission criteria.
The key words in that sentence may be "a few years ago" but there is still anecdotal evidence to support it continued

First, Petro verbals - undeniably early - almost always showed up on campus. Again, read carefully - that does not mean I am saying Petro got all the recruits he wanted - I am saying when IL and TX's Recruting Rundown used to give a list of Hopkins verbals 2-3 years before they could be admittted - they still showed up. I am sure Petro's good but nobody's that good to successfully predict academic performance for 12-15 people on an annual basis and have them all turn out to be suitable to RD from his academic standpoint

Second, I doubt Milliman would sign up for 5 years after being told his recruits had to make Hopkins standard admission criteria - I wouldn't

Third, I admit if I read of a Hopkins verbal I will spend 3-5 minutes looking at the invariable Youtube highlight video where the recruit often posts some level of academic performance - most often his current GPA. I have seen recent GPAs that would clearly not make the standard cut at Hopkins - there are several that would but there are some that would not.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:09 am
Second, I doubt Milliman would sign up for 5 years after being told his recruits had to make Hopkins standard admission criteria - I wouldn't
I agree that Milliman probably would have been given some assurances that he would be able to recruit before making the leap from Cornell.
On the other hand maybe they just threw so much money had him he couldn't turn it down?
He seems young enough though that he would be worried about his future, so it's unlikely he would make the jump if he didn't think he could succeed here.

The weather is supposed to be really bad this Saturday. Too bad. I was looking forward to this game.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”