Cornell 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
RedIvy

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by RedIvy »

I like the comparison to the 2007 team, Undefeated regular season who beat Duke at Duke only to get a Four seed and Duke a One seed….

It’s unbelievable that after loosing Teat, Donville and Fletcher and not playing last year, our offense is arguably still one of the best in the country.

Nice game today….
CU77

Post by CU77 »

RedIvy wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:12 pm 2007 team, Undefeated regular season who beat Duke at Duke only to get a Four seed and Duke a One seed….
That seeding debacle (Dave Cottle was the committee chair) led to a change of the official selection criteria in 2009.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:24 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 7:17 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:29 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:11 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:22 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:09 pm The TOP 5, yes TOP 5 (I HAD them 6th last week) Cornell BIGRED are clearly one of the best programs in the country and I will surely have them in my top 5 tomorrow. Coach Buczek ( I think I finally got it right) is absolutely amazing as has been shown especially in crunch time when it matters most, that he pushes all the right buttons. I said they would be a force when May rolls around and boy was I wrong, they are a force NOW and a COMPLETE TEAM. They can score, they can defend, they can play physical, they can play with finesse, they are deep and they are well coached.
We waited 2 years for this and it's incredible how all the pieces have fallen into place. Can you tell that this alumni has never been more proud of his alma-mater?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
P.S. The IVY LEAGUE is one scary bunch and right now I would say they are AT LEAST a 4 team NCAA Playoff league and will have FIVE teams in my top 20 come Sunday night.
4 teams in the NCAA!! Put the shot glass down J.W.!! That’s a great win today. Cornell moving up in my poll on Monday for sure.
"For sure" is right. You had the Big Red 20th last week! They couldn't go down in your ranking!
I admitted last week that I could have been too pessimistic. I hadn’t seen enough of them…..of course they could stay at 20 instead if going down.
Out of 14 pollsters, 12 had Cornell from 6 to 13, one had them at 16 and you had them at 20. After beating the #5 team, which you ranked #4 last week, if you don't have the Big Red top 10 this week, include a laugh track with your poll.
I believe I said I was too pessimistic. I have to go through the weekend results, but that was a great win. I will pencil them in at “10” for now!
Take your comedy act on the road. They just beat your #4 team convincingly and are #1 RPI and you'll rank them #10. By the way, I think polls are meaningless but I don't have a word for your opinion! Lol!
I am going to rank them number 1. Watch my submission…

Whatever. Although polls are meaningless, I'm guessing Cornell will be around 5 or 6 this week, surely lower than Maryland and Virginia and maybe Notre Dame with Penn, Princeton & Jacksonville in the mix.
laxjuris

Post by laxjuris »

I was able to attend yesterday’s game, and it was well worth the trip to Schoellkopf. My observations:

1. Many terrific performances for Cornell, but tops on my list are Petrakis and Adler. They both look like solid AA’s this year, and if there’s a better long pole in the country than Adler, I haven’t seen him. Adler totally neutralized Jake Myers; I believe Myers’ only goal was on the man-up. And considering Inacio’s stats coming in, and that he dominated against us 2 years ago in Columbus, Petrakis’s success yesterday may have been the key to our ultimate victory.
2. The other poles (Doria, Jacobs, Bartolotto, and Boccafola) were also excellent in shutting down an OSU offense that put up 20 against UNC. Kudos for Jordan Stevens for excellent coaching with a unit that struggled in the abbreviated 2020 season.
3. Ierlan didn’t seem to be seeing the ball early, but pulled it together and had some key saves at important junctures of the game. I’ll take to the bank a 50% save percentage against a talented offense.
4. The 1st quarter offensive struggles were frustrating, but once we got the 1st goal the attack and midfield began moving the ball more decisively, and the OSU defense began to fray a bit. Like against Hobart Billy Coyle was a catalyst of the turnaround. While Coyle was back at midfield with Long’s welcome return, Coyle (along with Licciardi) did invert on a number of possessions, and that was an effective strategy.
5. As for the attack, Long is still getting his footing, but still managed a goal and an assist; just as important, his presence on the field required OSU’s attention and opened up opportunities for the rest of the offense. While Kirst had a couple of unforced turnovers during OSU’s 3rd quarter run, he’s immensely talented, with the ability to dodge, shoot, and feed. He’s going to be fun to watch the next 3 (or maybe 4?) years. And after a sleepy 1st quarter Piatelli had a strong game with some goals at key times. One especially big goal was his score to make it 5-3 when he dodged past 2 defenders and scored with 2 seconds left on the shot clock.
6. Kelleher and Blake have the size and speed you want in your dodging middies, and they will only get better as the season goes on. With Lombardi out we’ll need someone else to step up; Wirtheim showed some flashes, and perhaps he or someone else will emerge in that role.
7. As VRR mentioned, the officials turned a blind eye to OSU’s use of moving picks, which was about the only way they were getting scoring opportunities.
8. A fashion comment: I prefer the all white home jerseys to the white tops and red shorts. The all white is a clean and classic look.

On to State College for another tough game against a Penn State team that isn’t as explosive as in recent years but appears more sound defensively and is getting strong goaltending.
Last edited by laxjuris on Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Cornell has had a good team for years . Issue had been at fogo which made defense look worse than it was . Shame that some excellent players lost out on 20 and 21 . your attack is top ten. Well rounded squad , the one IVY team that should have been ranked high ie Yale and Penn . tOUGH TO BEAT WHEN Ierlan on.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:42 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:09 pm The TOP 5, yes TOP 5 (I HAD them 6th last week) Cornell BIGRED are clearly one of the best programs in the country and I will surely have them in my top 5 tomorrow. Coach Buczek ( I think I finally got it right) is absolutely amazing as has been shown especially in crunch time when it matters most, that he pushes all the right buttons. I said they would be a force when May rolls around and boy was I wrong, they are a force NOW and a COMPLETE TEAM. They can score, they can defend, they can play physical, they can play with finesse, they are deep and they are well coached.
We waited 2 years for this and it's incredible how all the pieces have fallen into place. Can you tell that this alumni has never been more proud of his alma-mater?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
P.S. The IVY LEAGUE is one scary bunch and right now I would say they are AT LEAST a 4 team NCAA Playoff league and will have FIVE teams in my top 20 come Sunday night.
4 teams in the NCAA!! Put the shot glass down J.W.!! That’s a great win today. Cornell moving up in my poll on Monday for sure.
"For sure" is right. You had the Big Red 20th last week! They couldn't go down in your ranking!
I admitted last week that I could have been too pessimistic. I hadn’t seen enough of them…..of course they could stay at 20 instead if going down.
Out of 14 pollsters, 12 had Cornell from 6 to 13, one had them at 16 and you had them at 20. After beating the #5 team, which you ranked #4 last week, if you don't have the Big Red top 10 this week, include a laugh track with your poll.
I believe I said I was too pessimistic. I have to go through the weekend results, but that was a great win. I will pencil them in at “10” for now!
Take your comedy act on the road. They just beat your #4 team convincingly and are #1 RPI and you'll rank them #10. By the way, I think polls are meaningless but I don't have a word for your opinion! Lol!

Whatever. Although polls are meaningless, I'm guessing Cornell will be around 5 or 6 this week, surely lower than Maryland and Virginia and maybe Notre Dame with Penn, Princeton & Jacksonville in the mix.
Let it rest. I said I had them ranked too low….a few times … but that wasn’t good enough for you. Then I said I have them penciled at 10 before checking all the weekend results. I am ranking them #1 this week so that you will leave me alone about it.
“I wish you would!”
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:19 am
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Let it rest. I said I had them ranked too low….a few times … but that wasn’t good enough for you. Then I said I have them penciled at 10 before checking all the weekend results. I am ranking them #1 this week so that you will leave me alone about it.
Ranking the Big Red #1 this week is almost as inaccurate as ranking them #20 last week. Enjoy being a pollster. You have zero credibility. But as always, opinions are like *#$%^*&@, everyone has one.
Typical Lax Dad

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:09 am
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Ranking the Big Red #1 this week is almost as inaccurate as ranking them #20 last week. Enjoy being a pollster. You have zero credibility. But as always, opinions are like *#$%^*&@, everyone has one.
How many times do I have to say I was too pessimistic? Maybe I will rank them #2. Let it go man. I had them too low. A lot of games left.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

First experience with 1313, TLD?
Soon he'll be telling you how many posts you've got.
Stand by.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:30 am First experience with 1313, TLD?
Soon he'll be telling you how many posts you've got.
Stand by.
That’s what I thought.
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

You were right.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:53 amYou were right.
Dear Orange Troll:

Re-post using your fake Asian accent. Don't you have another potential loss to worry about today?

Sincerely,

laxfan1313

P.S. Even a clown like you knows Cornell wasn't 20th best last week and isn't #1 or #2 this week.

P.P.S. Wow, looking at TLD's post count, you need to step it up!

I can smell the private messages between Dmac & TLD. LOL!
Last edited by laxfan1313 on Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Just watched the game on ESPN+ this morning because I was busy was a commitment during the game. It was a strange game IMO. Very few face-offs were won cleanly and the face offs were not determinative of the game flow, except for some big wins by Cornell late in the game.

What strikes me about this Cornell team is the balance on offense. They are not overly reliant on a transcendent player like Pannell or Teat. Petrakis is impressive. HIs numbers are deflated because he has faced some top flight competition this season, but the hand wringing we experienced with face offs and possessions in 2019-20 appear over.

The defense has looked very solid thus far and Adler is off to a tremendous start as a shut down pole.

I am somewhat concerned with middle depth as the season progresses in light of the Lombardi injury. There are only 4 middies contributing - Kelleher, Blake, Coyle, and Licciardi. I hope that Wolf and Wirtheim can step up so that the team can run 2 full lines. A 4 or 5 man rotation is going to get tired come the warm weather later in the season.

Credit to Buczek and the young coaching staff so far. This team has not skipped a beat after a two year layoff and Buczek appears wise beyond his years in making in game adjustments and getting the most out of its talent.
another fan

Post by another fan »

I agree that midfield depth is an issue. Even Licciardi has been a modest offensive contributor-- 1 goal and few shots, although he is quick enough to draw a slide and is smart with the ball. I think we will see the first line taking well more than half the shifts, but hopefully not to the point of exhaustion. When our less threatening second line is on the field, they are good enough not to turn the ball over, may occasionally capitalize, and will provide a breather for the first line. Attack is potent enough to lean on even more during those shifts.

As far as next men up at midfield, I'm just not sure. I had high hopes for Andrew Dalton but have not seen him on the field. Bozzi is fast and a gritty all around player, but may be settling in as a fourth d mid. I don't see too many other possibilities on the roster-- maybe Piatelli's brother. Sheehan? Graham? Holmes? Topouzis? I'm just listing roster players now without any real insight into their readiness. With Lombardi out, we have this issue when we are at full strength-- magnified if there are further injuries.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:09 am
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

I agree BUT Laxreference has them #2 today AND I believe I saw somewhere that their RPI was #1, so maybe it's not as ludicrous as we thought.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Don't look now, but Cornell has a 9 game winning streak!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:58 am Don't look now, but Cornell has a 9 game winning streak!
AND hasn't LOST a game in about 3 and a half years. I have been wanting to mention it but NOBODY is more superstitious than joewillie78, and figured if I did, I would put the kabosh on them, but now that you brought it up, I can blame you if they lose.LOL
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

I watched the game again last night and it struck me on how all 6 of our offensive players (really 7) are multi threat. They can initiate, feed and get open for the feed. That combined with the speed at which they move the ball will be difficult for any defense.

Our young additions at SSDM are really nice and timing of their arrival perfect.

Our Defense is solid with Adler potentially being the or one of the best shut down guys in the country. Any word on Follows coming back?

Ierlan has been solid as well and hoping he gets a little more consistent. I especially like how he manages clears, I think he is a big reason for the high clearing percentage so far.

FO is a great step up and confident we can be competitive here in any game. Need to improve the ability to find clear space after pick up. While winning some FO’s we have turned over quickly several times. I think we could have accelerated the scoring difference a little faster if we can make improvements here. I believe in all four games or maybe three, it was still a game in the fourth quarter. Leaving this opportunity could create challenges especially considering our depth and potential fatigue at the end of games.

I personally would like us to still be an 8-10 in the polls at this point. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter and may make us a little more hungry and potentially a little less on the radar.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Well said, Red Ivy. The Media Poll and the USILA Coaches' Poll both have Cornell at #4 (as does FanLax). Quint has us at #8, with the First Quarter against Hobart as his justification. While our offensive play, is, truly brilliant when all cylinders are firing, there are always vulnerabilities. My chief concern at present is that we have three games coming up against teams with a lot to prove. PSU, Yale and Penn would all love to have wins against the Big Red to burnish their resumes for May. Being high in the polls puts a target on our back.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

faircornell wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:29 pm Well said, Red Ivy. The Media Poll and the USILA Coaches' Poll both have Cornell at #4 (as does FanLax). Quint has us at #8, with the First Quarter against Hobart as his justification. While our offensive play, is, truly brilliant when all cylinders are firing, there are always vulnerabilities. My chief concern at present is that we have three games coming up against teams with a lot to prove. PSU, Yale and Penn would all love to have wins against the Big Red to burnish their resumes for May. Being high in the polls puts a target on our back.
Good point about the upcoming schedule. I don't want a repeat of 2019 when a one goal loss to Penn in March was the reason Cornell missed the tourney. The Ivy League schedule is going to be brutal this season , with Penn, Cornell, Princeton, and Yale looking like top 20 teams

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”