Re: Boston College

Post by wlaxphan20 »

8meterPA wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:32 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:28 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:32 pm
8meterPA wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:09 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:00 pm
8meterPA wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:27 am
DMac wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:12 am Wow, wlax is tough. You are right, when she makes her initial move to pivot and take that shot she does not have a line of sight to the goal (more evidence of the element of surprise on that shot). She does when she's shooting though. That would be a tough call and one I wouldn't like.
I agree, it's a tough rule - very subjective. In CN's case, here move is so quick and decisive, it's a blur and the ref doesn't blow the whistle. A video always makes it easier to discuss.
Is this a good goal or dangerous propelling?

https://twitter.com/USALacrosseMag/stat ... 9745255424

I guess that because there was no player behind the Vandy player, she isnt required to look at the shot.
by the book, yes, it's dangerous propelling

dangerous propelling would be "any shot directed at or taken without regard to the positioning of a field player." So I would think, by definition if your back is turned to the goal and cannot see what's between you and the goal, it's a dangerous propel. That one seems like an easy one to call to me.
8M that was always my understanding as well. Interesting that USLax would post that if it was questionable. I guess cause it is a "Cool" video....

By definition then, that between the legs shot from Sammy Jo Tracy that ended up in SC top 10 should’ve technically been a call, correct? I know there wasn’t really any power behind it & the shot was on the ground, so there wasn’t a ton of danger in hindsight, but it just shows how much gray area there is in the rule.
The refs have discretion - a between the legs shot that may hit someone in the ankles vs. a btb shot that may hit someone in the head...but I get what you are saying.

I get what you’re saying as well. It’s nice to give the refs some discretion so they aren’t bound to the literal wording of the rules, but it’s a double edged sword .
LaxDad23

Post by LaxDad23 »

From watching a bunch of games over the last couple of years, seems like the margin of dangerous shots vs. the margin of dangerous checks is much, much more generous for the shooters. I have seen a bunch of (admittedly impressive) goals go over, around, under defenders that end up as highlights. Is there more control with a shooter vs. a checker, maybe. Hard enough to keep good body position as a defender to have someone shoot over your shoulder without regard for the sphere.

To the point that others have raised, the thing is that making the shooting exciting -- sticks, stringing, and athleticism of the players -- has a risk/reward element to it.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Not sure who caught the BC game today. They put on a clinic on how to attack and pass through a zone. Score does not indicate how good their offense played because they played a deep bench once they hit running clock vs Louisville in 3rd Q.
LaxThoughts

Post by LaxThoughts »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:24 pm Not sure who caught the BC game today. They put on a clinic on how to attack and pass through a zone. Score does not indicate how good their offense played because they played a deep bench once they hit running clock vs Louisville in 3rd Q.
Both teams played a deep bench. In fact, Louisville used more substitutes (16) than BC (10). BC is an excellent team and no question that its passing is exemplary, as is the pressure it applies all over the field. Louisville did some good things, including limiting Charlotte North to one goal via faceguard and neutralizing her on the draw.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

LaxThoughts wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:48 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:24 pm Not sure who caught the BC game today. They put on a clinic on how to attack and pass through a zone. Score does not indicate how good their offense played because they played a deep bench once they hit running clock vs Louisville in 3rd Q.
Both teams played a deep bench. In fact, Louisville used more substitutes (16) than BC (10). BC is an excellent team and no question that its passing is exemplary, as is the pressure it applies all over the field. Louisville did some good things, including limiting Charlotte North to one goal via faceguard and neutralizing her on the draw.
BC at Denver tomorrow evening : 24 degrees with a real feel of 16! Brrrrr at least no snow in the forecast 😳
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:10 pm
BC at Denver tomorrow evening : 24 degrees with a real feel of 16! Brrrrr at least no snow in the forecast 😳
BC's home game Sunday against Yale has been moved inside so no fans can attend(also means chance it won't be streamed). Can someone explain this to me on a day forecast to be sunny and 36 degrees in Chestnut HIll? Going to be windy but come on.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

hmmm wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:43 pm
BC's home game Sunday against Yale has been moved inside so no fans can attend(also means chance it won't be streamed). Can someone explain this to me on a day forecast to be sunny and 36 degrees in Chestnut HIll? Going to be windy but come on.
+1
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Why can't fans attend? No seating?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

TNLAX wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:05 pm
Twitter post says it's a closed event and not open to the public. Assume there are still Covid protocols at BC?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Sounds familiar…I had a similar beef opening day - and I believe it was in the 50s that day …what gives?
Somebody get Canopener on the Phone.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

hmmm wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:11 pm
TNLAX wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:05 pm
Twitter post says it's a closed event and not open to the public. Assume there are still Covid protocols at BC?
Is BC a new member of the Ivy League? :D :D
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

BC vs. Denver is now at 1 pm due to weather.
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

1 pm Mountain time.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

It will be interesting to see if BC can break down the Denver defense. And adjust to the different regional interpretations of the rules by the officiating staff. Should be a good one.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:40 pm
Sounds familiar…I had a similar beef opening day - and I believe it was in the 50s that day …what gives?
Somebody get Canopener on the Phone.
From a W&L perspective, I hate to say it, but this is the right move. The forecast is actually pretty nasty, with a temp of 26 and wind gusts of 32 MPH at game time which equates to a wind chill of 13 degrees. Why would BC take a chance on a fluky outcome for Yale given those conditions? In addition, what visiting goalie wants to track shots in an indoor facility they've never played in before?

Anyone interested in attending in person, just DM me and I will tell you where to meet to join my secret breach squad. I have two extra referee uniforms in my trunk along with "BC Stadium Ops" windbreakers to slip on over the zebra stripes once we're inside. Works every time!
DMac

Post by DMac »

So what's the final on viewing availability?
DMac

Post by DMac »

OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:05 pm So what's the final on viewing availability?
You can view it, if you ante up.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thnx.
Think I'm gonna hook up with Can Opener, I like that way.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:20 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:05 pm So what's the final on viewing availability?
You can view it, if you ante up.
im on it!bringing it over to the Denver - bc thread

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”