Hobart 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Hobart 2019

Post by oldbartman »

Favored is a dangerous position for this team to be in. We seem to play our best when we are the Rodney Dangerfield (look him up young ones) of lacrosse. Gate is a good team that will be in overdrive trying to prove the loss to Canisius was an aberration AND to get get revenge for last year. Bart has to learn how to take complete control of a game and not give our opponents a whiff of comeback. This is the best I've seen them play on offense in a long time. Not that the talent wan't there. This offense has been let loose, the way the game is supposed to be played
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I agree oldbartman. I don't like these midweek out of conference games (though I know they are necessary). Too many games in too few days, with a tough Colgate between two NEC games. SHU looks good, so I wish they had the week to prepare. I don't see any way Colgate does not come out raging after last year and Canisius. 12-13 on O side might do it, but I'd rather see another 16 pt. game. And good progress on D would be to hold Colgate to 7 or fewer. One last thing ... I am not not a fan of the cold first quarter. Third quarter goals are great, but I want to see us come out charging. Couldn't believe a 12 minute drought in the first quarter against Wagner. The Wagner goalie was good, as was the Binghamton goalie, but at a certain point, when goalies are making 16-18 saves a game, it also means some of the shots are poor. Not so much of a big deal if you are shooting 60 shots a game, but that is exactly the stat that a zone reduces.
I would love to see a super aggressive 'bart at Colgate. The upside of the out of conference game is that Hobart has nothing to lose. We should play that way too. Would love to see 2 each or more from Simas, Madonna, Mott, and Archer. Also holding my breath for a longpole goal. Once Aslanian, Holden, Scott, Knox get hot, it'll be over.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

The game is available for viewing on the Patriot League Network. You can access the PLN through the Colgate website, gocolgateraiders.com. PLN broadcasts are high quality and free!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:01 pm I agree oldbartman. I don't like these midweek out of conference games (though I know they are necessary). Too many games in too few days, with a tough Colgate between two NEC games. SHU looks good, so I wish they had the week to prepare. I don't see any way Colgate does not come out raging after last year and Canisius. 12-13 on O side might do it, but I'd rather see another 16 pt. game. And good progress on D would be to hold Colgate to 7 or fewer. One last thing ... I am not not a fan of the cold first quarter. Third quarter goals are great, but I want to see us come out charging. Couldn't believe a 12 minute drought in the first quarter against Wagner. The Wagner goalie was good, as was the Binghamton goalie, but at a certain point, when goalies are making 16-18 saves a game, it also means some of the shots are poor. Not so much of a big deal if you are shooting 60 shots a game, but that is exactly the stat that a zone reduces.
I would love to see a super aggressive 'bart at Colgate. The upside of the out of conference game is that Hobart has nothing to lose. We should play that way too. Would love to see 2 each or more from Simas, Madonna, Mott, and Archer. Also holding my breath for a longpole goal. Once Aslanian, Holden, Scott, Knox get hot, it'll be over.
I dont agree that Hobart "has nothing to lose". In my opinion, this Hobart team could be on the cusp (if they dont win the NEC) for an NCAA bid, and Colgate is a very good team, and a win over them would look great on Barts resume. A loss however, could come back to haunt them IF they are in position to need an at-large bid. With their resume so far, I think a win AT COLGATE could really help them down the road.

I agree on PLAYING as if you have nothing to lose, but If they do lose, it could be the difference between being in and out in May.
Just my opinion.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

^^^ Good reality check.

I’d add.
Whatever happens in the Colgate game, and let’s presume a W.
That Sacred Heart game, well, let’s just say that is definitely on my ‘watch’ list.
I’d peg the over / under for that game at +40 combined goals.
Unfortunately, there are not any Hobart games in the NEC archive I believe, for this year, was hoping to replay a prior game, but no luck.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

I view this as a no win situation for Hobart -

They win and it’s “eh, Colgate just lost to Canisius”.

They lose and it’s “see? Hobart still can’t win against anyone except for bottom 10-15 programs”

I agree they need this W to maintain momentum- the at large ncaa add was a good reminder. Hopefully the coaches will be better prepared to face the zone and the shooting will be better in the 1st half, compared to last Saturday.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The only chance at an at large resides with an upset of Cuse not the Gate game. We’re coming off a bad year and a volatile decade, but this schedule we all saw was pretty soft compared with any in the d1 era. PSU and GTown fell off replaced by UVM and St Bonaventure. Gate having lost a string means that there’s almost no chance of an at large short of beating either Cornell or Cuse. There’s very likely no other top 20 rpi win on the schedule at year end even if they went 15-3, losing to Cornell/Syracuse and to whomever in the NEC finals and I’d be shocked if we got an at large. Look at historical Bucknell, delaware and more recently some fo St Joe’s gaudy records vs soft schedules and no aq. Or no further than a 12-4 UVM last year.

This years schedule almost absolutely made the season AQ or bust. Record just matters for play in or not.

What’s more important is to keep the forward momentum going and beat a team that as of now may be the second strongest in the schedule to date.

We’re not in a real position to dictate our OOC but I’d like to see a little more competitive and geographic diversity going forward personally.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Now that is a ‘real’ reality check.

Unfortunately, no games from this year archived on Hobart’s site. PLN is vg so I’ll catch replay this evening.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

joewillie78: "I agree on PLAYING as if you have nothing to lose"
I agree. That was my real point. And that means playing aggressively on O. Don't want to see a slow start (like we had with Wagner), or see Colgate set the tempo (as Binghamton did in the first half of that game). The team is playing great, and I think they do best when they are loose. To me that is also the big difference from last year, and I think it stems from a change in coaching philosophy. I think last year they played too tight, and that was the difference in the 1 goal games. Rather than tightening more, Raymond has handed more responsibility to the players. Seems like a great call to me. They have stepped up (esp. the seniors, but the other classes too). BTW, I don't thing Colgate has gotten bad ... I just think that Canisius is better than most people realized.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

All the handwringing I’ve done aside, I’m going 14-11 good guys today. Don’t see Gates offense doing much lately combined with a presumed faceoff advantage.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

First time I’ve seen Hobart since the Cornell game. This team is for real.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Who’s that #19 dude ?
He’s pretty good !
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

Is it possible to orgasm while watching a game?
LRoggy

Post by LRoggy »

A complete game from start to finish!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:11 pm Who’s that #19 dude ?
He’s pretty good !
That’s one of your guys, a Canuck, Justin Scott, via Tp.

We’ve got a few including a stud FR jason knox who was recently snubbed by IL
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Really nice game Bart...congrats.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Nice win, Statesmen!
manyhats

Post by manyhats »

A good win, going in was a little concerned about this one. Really like this team.On to SHU
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Yeah Bart!

Defense played solid & Sammy stood tall in cage.
I suspect they’ll key on Ped at face off from here on out. Let him win and take it away from him strategy.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Very impressive . Bart dominated Gate start to finish making them look bad. Bart should be a top twenty team in next week rankings without question. Congrats

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”