Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ruffled_Feathers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Nowhere in there does it have an injury report heading or list anything about a "starting lineup". The closest thing is Key Personnel which just lists point scorers/stat getters so far this year outside of Chauvette who did get a game start and Marcille. Nothing to even be lying about in the "gaem 6" titled PDF.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopfan16 posted a chart.

Russell was right and for more reasons than he identified. This year’s team is better than 2020.

Sixth game of the season and still reading the word “correctable” in discussing quality of play.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopfan16 posted a chart.

Russell was right and for more reasons than he identified. This year’s team is better than 2020.

Sixth game of the season and still reading the word “correctable” in discussing quality of play.
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

"Sixth game of the season and still reading the word “correctable” in discussing quality of play.
Top"

At the end of the day, many of these young men are still kids. That's why there are coaches and lots of practice--it is always great when a player finally "gets it" and improves. And this teaching can take days, months, seasons, years. Here's hoping things happen this season and in time for the Big Ten playoffs.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

If we are being fair, it took until April for most of Petro's recent teams to find whatever footing they did. Our 2015 Final Four team looked like they were headed for oblivion until mid April. Story is the same for the two teams that made it to Memorial Day in 07 and 08, replace mid-April with early-April. Anyone who remembers those teams remembers February and Marches full of "correctable mistakes", and those were championship level teams (which this one probably isn't).

Ocanada's takes have really devolved since the coaching change. Maybe a little too personal for him to retain perspective that he once exuded here/on LP, as he apparently is expecting perfection in February for no other reason than personal spite.
Last edited by Catbird on Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:45 am First Round of the NCAA D3 National C'ship: Hopkins vs. Yeshiva University at 1 PM EST today. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEKRAInhiB0
W
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Some things are correctable others kind of aren't. Personnel issues still seem to plague the team in areas making us deficient for competing with "the best of D1". I may be wrong about that some as the weather improves and some guys get a bit more healthy and maybe find their mid season form though. Here's hoping. In other more readily coachable aspects though things look to be getting fixed when they can. I was thrilled with the clearing improvement this past weekend. The poles look to be more involved in the clears/trusted to carry the ball more rather than being terrified of it and everyone overall seems to have a better understanding of drawing pressure and passing the ball to the now uncovered man while clearing this past week.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Keep the politics in the Politics Forums. Keep the personal attacks elsewhere completely.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

"This year's team is better than 2020" — welcome to the resistance, OC.

Every team outside of maybe Maryland/Virginia/Georgetown has things to correct. There are going to be setbacks and underwhelming performances. The question is, what is the general trajectory? Up or down? The new staff started an entirely new culture last year and that was made difficult by the pandemic restrictions. So this is really year one. It's the start of a process. That said, I think several of the signposts are pointing in a positive direction. As much as a fan wants this to be the consensus viewpoint among Hop fans, I don't think anyone here other than DocB believes we have the talent *right now* to make Final Fours every single year — but that doesn't mean there can't be material improvement with the current roster. In fact, there already has been, and I'd expect more to come this year and next.
molo

Post by molo »

The do refer to three attackmen other than DeSimone and Epstein in the notes. Maybe the injury is to a lefty or maybe they just haven't named a starter at that spot.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The notes do kind of imply that the expected starting 3 - DeSimone/Epstein/Grimes are available. The game notes for the UNC game listed the same 5 players. I do not know the rules as it applies to college football and basketball but RRR does bring up an interesting point - are college programs under any obligation given there is gambling? Not that there is significant action on the UVA Hopkins game but if Epstein is out and I am responsible for taking money on that game - I would want to know. Has the line changed significantly in the past couple days? UVA at -495 Hopkins at +430 only Army and Holy Cross are bigger favorites/dogs. BTW - not suggesting it's Epstein - have absolutely zero knwoledge.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:54 pm . As much as a fan wants this to be the consensus viewpoint among Hop fans, I don't think anyone here other than DocB believes we have the talent *right now* to make Final Fours every single year
No, the quiet resignation from the more stubborn Hop fans has been more than enough for me. New coach, same results so far.

1+1=2. You get the score now.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:06 pm Nowhere in there does it have an injury report heading or list anything about a "starting lineup". The closest thing is Key Personnel which just lists point scorers/stat getters so far this year outside of Chauvette who did get a game start and Marcille. Nothing to even be lying about in the "gaem 6" titled PDF.
It's implied those kids are available to play. Towson proudly touted that there were several dozen media members credentialed to cover our game there. They read this blog intensively which we know and it's their job too to report this stuff.

hopkins beat yeshiva today.

I don't know how to cut film, but someone smarter than me who could do that could've built quite a following the last several years taking the jays game miscues and putting them into a youtube video. Maybe even the espn folks could put in a little time on the clown stuff we saw last weekend like degnon trying and failing 3-4 times to pick up a gb with one hand on his stick or the the lilly clear where standing alone with no pressure he threw it right to a unc defender or martin loafing getting back in transition on a goal scored by a faceoff man for the second week in a row. And that's to start. Then there's the second midfield's no show for most of the season.

by the way I think we beat uva tomorrow. Desperate jay team, enough tape by now to get things figured out, and decent weather. 14-11 hopkins.
Mr. F

Post by Mr. F »

Do you think Grimes operates better at the midfield? I honestly would be interested to see if switching him and degnon would help both with production. Degnon strikes me as a Kyle marr type player who likes to get open and fire, where as Grimes is more of a dodging initiator who works better in 1v1 scenarios, which he is more likely to get as a midfielder. Let’s not forgot how much his productivity improved switching to midfield last year
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:46 pm The notes do kind of imply that the expected starting 3 - DeSimone/Epstein/Grimes are available. The game notes for the UNC game listed the same 5 players. I do not know the rules as it applies to college football and basketball but RRR does bring up an interesting point - are college programs under any obligation given there is gambling? Not that there is significant action on the UVA Hopkins game but if Epstein is out and I am responsible for taking money on that game - I would want to know. Has the line changed significantly in the past couple days? UVA at -495 Hopkins at +430 only Army and Holy Cross are bigger favorites/dogs. BTW - not suggesting it's Epstein - have absolutely zero knwoledge.
game notes are not responsible for anything. win or lose money at your own discretion. '06 has them winning anyway. so take the points.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:23 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:54 pm . As much as a fan wants this to be the consensus viewpoint among Hop fans, I don't think anyone here other than DocB believes we have the talent *right now* to make Final Fours every single year
No, the quiet resignation from the more stubborn Hop fans has been more than enough for me. New coach, same results so far.

3-2 through 5 games, 2020 team was 1-4 at this point. Literally not the same results. This team wouldn’t need a miracle to beat MSM in overtime. You know it to be true but refuse to admit it. Just can’t acknowledge the team is better now than where the last staff left it. Really bizarre
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:19 pm

3-2 through 5 games, 2020 team was 1-4 at this point. Literally not the same results. This team wouldn’t need a miracle to beat MSM in overtime. You know it to be true but refuse to admit it. Just can’t acknowledge the team is better now than where the last staff left it. Really bizarre
Happy to acknowledge that, yes, 3-2 is better than 1-4. But you're picking an unfinished season when the whole world was falling apart to make a weird point....and missing my overall point. Let's leave this alone until the season is over, and enjoy the games.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

A Fan - two different teams two years apart proving nothing of substance. I diubt he missed your point. He can’t really accept it.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:54 pm "This year's team is better than 2020" — welcome to the resistance, OC.

Every team outside of maybe Maryland/Virginia/Georgetown has things to correct. There are going to be setbacks and underwhelming performances. The question is, what is the general trajectory? Up or down?
The 3 teams, mentioned above, also have plenty of things to correct. All will have losses before the Champion is crowned on Memorial Day, regardless of what some of their ardent fans believe. There is plenty of talent spread across numerous contenders. A hot goalie, injuries, poor play, Bad calls may all play into individual game results. Hop has less talent than the current top 2-3 teams but could absolutely beat anyone on a given day.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

You have to have the horses to win. Back in the day, we would have a first team AA at every position. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last first team AA we had was Joel Tinney.
While I don't believe coaches can win games, they can definitely lose games for the team by putting players in the wrong positions (DeSimone...) or playing the wrong type players at key positions (ssdm) or by making schemes so complicated that they players have to think too much as opposed to just reacting. Practice time devoted to fundamentals can also be an issue. Also, players have to really WANT to play for a coach. Coaches have to push the right buttons and get the most out of each player and the team. Not so easy.
Do I think Junior and PM can scheme up offenses? Yes.
Do I think JK can coach a defense? I do.
But to beat teams like UMD, UVA, UNC, or Duke you've got to have some superstars. These teams are all well coached plus they've got superstars. Sooner or later if HOP is going to get back to a Final Four they're going to have to find some AA talent, either through transfer or recruiting. You're just not going to outcoach Tillman or Tiffany consistently. Right now they've got a lot a good players, but no real superstars. Epstein does has superstar potential, however, if he can get 100% healthy I think.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”