Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Mr. F wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:24 pm Well, as much gripe as we have in these forums, at least we can enjoy some solid wins and improvement from this team in many different categories, unlike our syracuse brethren rn
That’s the kind of comment that can come back to haunt you.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:28 pm
Mr. F wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:24 pm Well, as much gripe as we have in these forums, at least we can enjoy some solid wins and improvement from this team in many different categories, unlike our syracuse brethren rn
you said wins plural by accident.
Teams are still counting Loyola as a quality win.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:46 pm Life could be worse. We didn't lose at home today to an instate rival, our HOF mens basketball coach didn't publicly announce that there's a succession plan in place for his retirement, and the aforementioned coach's wife wasn't attacked at gunpoint.

Just trying to stay positive as WOMBAT would've wanted.
Wait but I was told Baltimore is the only city it the world where a crime has happened?

As for Cuse — I'm not going to rub it in seeing as we were there last year. Breaking in a new staff is tough, and you've really got to wait for them to bring in their own recruits to make a fair evaluation (something you have already not afforded to PM and co.) That said, Cuse doesn't have the excuse of not having had a fall ball or any of the other hindrances our staff had to deal with in their first year. I watched the game against Army — the Orange looked, quite frankly, a lot like Petro's 2020 Hopkins team.

Towson beat Loyola, who is now 0-4 and still has to play Duke, Army, and Georgetown. Hope they turn it around (for our sake) but it's clear that as things stand right now that Jacksonville is the only "quality" win of the three so far and given how weak the remainder of their schedule is I'm not sure their RPI is going to get any better than it already is. Meaning, we need to win more games.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I still think Loyola will turn it around and compete for the Patriot League, Army will be tough though. Still think they might be a Top 20 win in the end but "it's getting late early" as some like to put it :) , less sure than I was after watching some of that ugly outing vs Towson last night (who alternately may also end up back in the Top 20 at some point, so it would be a wash). Hopefully one of those two teams can make good and help us out a little.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:48 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:39 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:24 pm
nyjay wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:16 pm
steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:49 pm As a note (and this isn't directed at you) if you think kids still wearing masks doesn't impact recruiting then you are not looking through this with parental glasses. My daughter is starting to look at schools and we've already eliminated many that have continued way too strict COVID guidelines given the risk parameters of college students (and if you don't remove them now, when will you?)
100% agree - as someone with a kid in the application cycle now, applications to the big state universities in the South are way up and those spots are much, much harder for the out of state kids. Look, 5/8 of my son's HS experience was largely ruined by Covid. He is very, very focused on having as normal a college experience as is possible, even if that's not at the most-prestigious school he gets into.
I nearly died twice in the last 17 months due to what are very likely long-term cardiac sequelae of a Covid-19 infection in March 2020.

Don’t be imprudent in considering the inconveniences that may prevent a mild or even non-symptomatic Covid-19 infection. Even healthy young adults can develop long-term sequelae that are potentially devastating.

I use the term “imprudent”, but please understand that I mean something more. I just don’t want to be impolite to parents who obviously care about the future of their children.

DocBarrister
I'm glad you're well, Doc.
Thank you, nyjay. I would describe as “alive” rather than “well”. ;)

Best wishes to you and steelhop on the college admissions adventure. I’m confident your respective kids will do well.

DocBarrister
This is your body, isn't it best to be 100% sure, as to what causes health issues?

Does this mean no more MTN biking and surfing?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Hopfan16

These were IL's rankings for Petro's last 10 classes. Took all of three minutes to Google it.

2020 - #4
2019 - #11
2018 - #5
2017 - #8
2016 - #5
2015 - #1
2014 - #1
2013 - #6
2012 - #5
2011 - #5

7 of the 10 were in the top five. Back to back #1 classes in '14 and '15. So it wasn't quite "a decade" of top 5 classes but jhu06 was — and this is rare for him — not that far off. I think it's fair to say that two things can be simultaneously true: 1) IL's class rankings may not be all that accurate and 2) Petro still could have done more with these groups than a single Final Four appearance in 10+ years.

Bottom line there were not often top 2 classes and there was not a decade or more of top 5 classes. But if the facts don’t fit the narrative adjust the facts.

Inside Lacrosse rankings are not that accurate. The NFL spends millions trying to ID talent and barely breaks even.

Your second point is a non sequitur given the first point. Talent differentials have narrowed greatly. It might be better to look at AAs and all conference players per team which are at least in theory based on performance rather than speculation. If we assume there are 15 top tier teams how did each of them perform relative to the bemchmark ? Its a big missing piece.

If the talent is all that as claimed why is a third year head heaf coach not doing better? Clearing has been weak, turnovers too high, defense is not strong snd the offense looks stagnant. It is a shared opinion not just mine.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Third year? Is it your opinion to make up an entire year that hasn't happened yet?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catbird wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:59 am Third year? Is it your opinion to make up an entire year that hasn't happened yet?
Petro still has this guy on retainer to defend his honor online
CTlaxfan1

Post by CTlaxfan1 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:16 pm
steel_hop wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:49 pm As a note (and this isn't directed at you) if you think kids still wearing masks doesn't impact recruiting then you are not looking through this with parental glasses. My daughter is starting to look at schools and we've already eliminated many that have continued way too strict COVID guidelines given the risk parameters of college students (and if you don't remove them now, when will you?)
100% agree - as someone with a kid in the application cycle now, applications to the big state universities in the South are way up and those spots are much, much harder for the out of state kids. Look, 5/8 of my son's HS experience was largely ruined by Covid. He is very, very focused on having as normal a college experience as is possible, even if that's not at the most-prestigious school he gets into.
My son is junior and we definitely did not consider mask wearing or COVID rules when looking at colleges but I guess I understand why some folks might. Our town just removed the mask mandate in the school. My younger son (middle school) said he was 1 of 2 people in his science class NOT wearing a mask - I was very surprised. Kids are still wearing mask despite the schools not requiring them.
Applications have been on the rise at large southern school for quite some time. Maybe they are even more popular now??
If Hopkins had come calling for my son he definitely would have been interested regardless of their COVID rules. Maybe it just shows they do not evaluate talent well (just kidding (kind of))
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:37 am
jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:46 pm Life could be worse. We didn't lose at home today to an instate rival, our HOF mens basketball coach didn't publicly announce that there's a succession plan in place for his retirement, and the aforementioned coach's wife wasn't attacked at gunpoint.

Just trying to stay positive as WOMBAT would've wanted.
Wait but I was told Baltimore is the only city it the world where a crime has happened?

As for Cuse — I'm not going to rub it in seeing as we were there last year. Breaking in a new staff is tough, and you've really got to wait for them to bring in their own recruits to make a fair evaluation (something you have already not afforded to PM and co.) That said, Cuse doesn't have the excuse of not having had a fall ball or any of the other hindrances our staff had to deal with in their first year. I watched the game against Army — the Orange looked, quite frankly, a lot like Petro's 2020 Hopkins team.
That's odd, I was gonna say the same thing about the Hopkins squad. Still don't have a single player in the top 50 for scoring in D1. Players still can't fall out of a boat and hit water when shooting. Just like they did under the previous coach.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that coaching wasn't the problem at Homewood. Good thing I know that you can have more than one problem, and it's un-possible to not have elite players at Hopkins.

Speaking of elite players, how's IL's #1 recruit doing in your Epstein? I scanned the NCAA scoresheet again for top point getters, and....... (crickets)

So which coach is to blame for that? Can't be Benson, he's got Wisnauskas humming along at 6 and change points per game.

Who ya blaming? ;)
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:37 am Towson beat Loyola, who is now 0-4 and still has to play Duke, Army, and Georgetown. Hope they turn it around (for our sake) but it's clear that as things stand right now that Jacksonville is the only "quality" win of the three so far and given how weak the remainder of their schedule is I'm not sure their RPI is going to get any better than it already is. Meaning, we need to win more games.
Are we adding Toomey to the ever-lengthening list of coaches who have "forgotten how to coach?" Or is Toomey just "part of the problem"? ;)
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Speaking of elite players, how's IL's #1 recruit doing in your Epstein? I scanned the NCAA scoresheet again for top point getters, and....... (crickets)
To my eyes, he lost that explosive first step he had as a freshman. Sometimes you are never the same after a big injury.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Record
2020: 2-4
2022: 3-2

Goals per game
2020: 10.8
2022: 11.6

Assists per game
2020: 6
2022: 7

Shot %
2020: 25%
2022: 29%

Man-up %
2020: 38%
2022: 40%

Opponent man-up %
2020: 47%
2022: 30%

Goals allowed per game
2020: 13.2
2022: 12.2

Clearing %
2020: 79%
2022: 81%

Save %
2022: 51%

GBS per game
2020: 29
2022: 32

FO %
2020: 58%

Three common opponents (Towson, Loyola, UNC), while the 2020 team had the benefit of getting to play (and nearly losing to) Mount St. Mary's. 2022 team is improved in every statistical category except faceoffs. So the 2020 team was winning a nontrivial amount more faceoffs and was still worse in basically every way. I don't think you want to get into the adjusted efficiency metrics because that is not going to be kind to the 2020 team, especially on the defensive end. There is a pretty good chance these gaps become even more pronounced by the end of the season. That was certainly the trend last year after not having a fall to prepare or start building a new culture.
a fan

Post by a fan »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:26 pm
To my eyes, he lost that explosive first step he had as a freshman. Sometimes you are never the same after a big injury.
Yep. Several of Petro's top players had injuries, too. Yet posters here "forgot" to mention that when touting IL's recruiting classes.

Use the same standard.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:53 pm
Are we adding Toomey to the ever-lengthening list of coaches who have "forgotten how to coach?" Or is Toomey just "part of the problem"? ;)
AFAN: please draft us a Division 1, head coaches responsibilities, not ranked by importance, just job duties.

Certainly, winning isn't one of them. I would agree.

Can't claim that "Cuses "family feel" in the lockerroom flamed out years ago, easy for this to happen with transfers, covid, life, etc......many NE kids and parents felt the "we are family" thing at Hopkins felt forced, when making cordial visits.

don't remember, but somehow, forget, a Hopkins lacrosse player (capt ?? ) was asked to no longer be a member of the Hopkins lacrosse program. very recently. Still a sideline, cheddar chatter discussion topic .

Petro being good friends Billy B, the Patriots cheat, couldn't have helped with Jets or Giants fans :D
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:33 pm Record
2020: 2-4
2022: 3-2

Goals per game
2020: 10.8
2022: 11.6

Assists per game
2020: 6
2022: 7

Shot %
2020: 25%
2022: 29%

Man-up %
2020: 38%
2022: 40%

Opponent man-up %
2022: 30%

Goals allowed per game
2020: 13.2
2022: 12.2

Clearing %
2020: 79%
2022: 81%

Save %

GBS per game
2020: 29
2022: 32

FO %
2020: 58%

Three common opponents (Towson, Loyola, UNC), while the 2020 team had the benefit of getting to play (and nearly losing to) Mount St. Mary's. 2022 team is improved in every statistical category except faceoffs. So the 2020 team was winning a nontrivial amount more faceoffs and was still worse in basically every way. I don't think you want to get into the adjusted efficiency metrics because that is not going to be kind to the 2020 team, especially on the defensive end. There is a pretty good chance these gaps become even more pronounced by the end of the season. That was certainly the trend last year after not having a fall to prepare or start building a new culture.
Do it by quarters, even tho most of these numbers are useless for a scout, they are so close, they are meaningless. except, for wins and losses.

and most of the offensive fluff comes at garbage time, or garbage goals, so there's that. You gotta WATCH the games to understand.

Pretty sure you will see 'Cuse's ground ball numbers increase too.....they are having trouble with throwing and catching, especially the Defense.

To much "it's about ME, the coach" time spent and silly, sad, scheming........Cu'se , team wide, is having trouble handling the rock and fundamentals. Hopkins? players to buzy checking instachat, instead of emptying a bucket, or two.......
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:35 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:26 pm
Yep. Several of Petro's top players had injuries, too. Yet posters here "forgot" to mention that when touting IL's recruiting classes.

Use the same standard.
Epstein scored 73 points as a freshman against a very challenging schedule. I don’t think his IL #1 ranking was unreasonable.

He’s lost a step, but not that much. Frankly, I think his lower production in 2021 was due to his diminished role in the new offense. Epstein was the QB of the entire offense in 2019. Now, not so much.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Definitely gotta disagree with that take. You currently cannot count Joey among the group of guys who can "regularly beat his man" most weeks sadly. Its hard to think you can give him the rock and ask him to create when he isn't getting separation. Not that he is alone in this, so far this year I think that list actually only contains one name for us and its Angelus.

He deserved that ranking at the time coming out of high school with the accolades he had presumably but regardless of how we got here Joey isn't currently "the player we were promised". That's not to say he isn't playing a perfectly adequate game out there week to week right now even, he just isn't the straw that stirs the drink and isn't showing up as the transcendent offensive force we thought we were going to have years ago. The weight of the program and even just this years offense doesn't rest on his shoulders of course and he's out there doing what he can but we're again missing some pieces this year same as we were last year. Rome wasn't built in a day and there's plenty of season left though.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

My mistake on three years for PM its only two.

Hopkins has had zero Tewie finalists in the last decade. Zero

At attack one player made 2nd team

At goalie one plater made 2nd team

At midfield two players made first team one made 2nd team.

At defense 2 players made first team; one made second team and 2 made third team

NB does not include FOGO or HM

But Bluto IL said…..

A middling performance at best given all the hyping but based on results not some fantasy measure.

With all those high fantasy recruits and the great improvement in coaching the results don’t support the claim
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Catbird wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:40 am I still think Loyola will turn it around and compete for the Patriot League, Army will be tough though. Still think they might be a Top 20 win in the end but "it's getting late early" as some like to put it :) , less sure than I was after watching some of that ugly outing vs Towson last night (who alternately may also end up back in the Top 20 at some point, so it would be a wash). Hopefully one of those two teams can make good and help us out a little.
Lafayette @ home will not be a pushover this weekend for Loyola. A few weeks ago they beat Drexel. And the Leopards will get possessions, they have a faceoff specialist.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 4:29 pm Definitely gotta disagree with that take. You currently cannot count Joey among the group of guys who can "regularly beat his man" most weeks sadly. Its hard to think you can give him the rock and ask him to create when he isn't getting separation. Not that he is alone in this, so far this year I think that list actually only contains one name for us and its Angelus.

He deserved that ranking at the time coming out of high school with the accolades he had presumably but regardless of how we got here Joey isn't currently "the player we were promised". That's not to say he isn't playing a perfectly adequate game out there week to week right now even, he just isn't the straw that stirs the drink and isn't showing up as the transcendent offensive force we thought we were going to have years ago. The weight of the program and even just this years offense doesn't rest on his shoulders of course and he's out there doing what he can but we're again missing some pieces this year same as we were last year. Rome wasn't built in a day and there's plenty of season left though.
Dodging, especially from behind the net and GLE, was a big part of his game, and still is. However, much of his production came from carrying the rock and dishing out assists or having the offense work to get him the open shot. Just don’t see the latter happening as much.

Indeed, I’ve seen Epstein call for the ball and not get it. Distinctly recall in the UNC game Keogh twice choosing to pass away from Epstein when Epstein seemed to be calling for the rock.

Don’t think a more balanced offense is a bad thing. But if we want to see Epstein score 70+ points again, the Blue Jays will have to focus specifically on getting Epstein the open shots. Just don’t see that happening under the new regime.

That’s fine, but the other players on offense need to be more consistent in their productivity to make that work. The way I see it, Epstein is still by far the Blue Jays’ best offensive player. I think Hopkins would benefit by giving him a larger role on offense.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”