Towson

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Math1234

Re: Towson

Post by Math1234 »

13-11 after three quarters. DeMaio has five goals on 17 shots. Apparently tied Glenn Smith's record set 30+ years ago.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Down 15-14 with 6:12 left. Not a lot of discipline out there. Some horrible penalties that helped turned the game around. Craven also has played great in net after the first quarter and Brennan has not.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Overtime at 15-all. DeMaio scored to tie it up with no time left. Never saw it as the camera didn't follow the ball.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

A second overtime. I don't why the hell he couldn't have at least used one in OT.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Towson needs to win, Brennan 8 out of last 9 Shots saved
PLEASE, PLEASE Let's GO
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Well-deserved win by Richmond 16-15 in three overtimes. Towson had an EMO in the second overtime and had a layup in the crease that Gallagher couldn't control the ball. Schilling had a great look in the third OT right in front of the crease and shot it right into Craven's stick. Craven won this game for the Spiders. Great performance after a rough first quarter. Bad loss when you are up 9-1.
Last edited by Math1234 on Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Wow what a disappointing loss. That was one of the worst shooting displays, like they were playing catch with Craven. Multiple opportunities to end it in OT, but instead bad shot after bad shot. This team needs to figure it out quickly, just not a lot of discipline on either end of the field. Way too many predictable shots too. Credit to Richmond for battling back after a great 1st quarter by the Tigers. But Towson needs to play a complete game, something they haven’t done in honestly a few years.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Awful shot selection in OT, too many stick high shots, subpar goalie play on our part for a very long stretch of the game. Get your best players on the field on EMO. Brutal loss. Credit to Richmond for the comeback.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

They mixed up the second midfield due to injuries I assume? No Austin Stewart, but a lot more issues than on second midfield unit.

Constantinides won 19 of 33 face-offs overall, but struggled in the second half and beyond after dominating the first half. Probably should have gone back to Santora for just one or two draws. At some point, it becomes more than just the players when you have a lack of discipline, poor shooting, bad penalties, poor D, shaky goaltending, etc.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

First thoughts, I have learned to always be optimistic. 1) whole team thought going into 2 Nd we won. 2) offense shot selection got very bad, behind back ect. 3) defense as a whole had rough 2nd. 4) very bad penalties. 5) do coaches know we have timeouts in Ot. Now the super positive. This team can lose or beat anyone.brennan had sub par game until 8 saves in a row in forth and OT. Offensive is lethal. Face offs getting better. D mids played better. You either let this bother you, or you learn. CAA is coming down to Delaware or Towson. I personally could not be prouder and more excited for rest of season. Also huge props to Richmond on the way they did not put up white flag and totally dominated quarters 2-4. Nothing better than college lax
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

If the offense can't shoot the ball well then they won't win many games. They shot the ball 57 times, with so many open looks and couldn't put the ball away from the goalie's stick. At the same time, if you score 15 goals against a team like Richmond then you should win. The next 3 games will all be huge opportunities to right the ship, but all 3 games will be tough games. Playing Loyola when they are 0-3 and after they seemed to have figure some things out against Rutgers will be very, very hard. Loyola will be extra motivated after the OT loss to Towson last year as well.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Math1234 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:40 pm They mixed up the second midfield due to injuries I assume? No Austin Stewart, but a lot more issues than on second midfield unit.

Constantinides won 19 of 33 face-offs overall, but struggled in the second half and beyond after dominating the first half. Probably should have gone back to Santora for just one or two draws. At some point, it becomes more than just the players when you have a lack of discipline, poor shooting, bad penalties, poor D, shaky goaltending, etc.
If this season continues to go downhill, do you foresee coaching changes made?
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

sc lax wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:45 am
Math1234 wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:40 pm They mixed up the second midfield due to injuries I assume? No Austin Stewart, but a lot more issues than on second midfield unit.

If this season continues to go downhill, do you foresee coaching changes made?
New AD coming in late March. I would think the assistant coaches could certainly be in trouble if the season does not meet expectations and I think there were hiring freezes due to COVID, so even if they want to make changes, they couldn't. But the seat would certainly start to get warm if they fail to make the CAA Tournament again or they have a .500ish or less season. There's too much talent to yak a game away as they did on Saturday and the fact they didn't use timeouts in overtime with the ball on attack was troubling. Especially considering the last play before regulation worked out brilliantly after a timeout. Why would you not want to set up a play? That and the fact that the team stopped running against a methodical team. They played at their pace.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Two teams desperate for a win tomorrow. Not that either of these teams need motivation when playing each other every year, but both Loyola and Towson need to get in the win column. For Towson, they will need to clean up the miscues on the defensive side and shoot the ball way better. Shooting could also be improved by taking smarter shots and being selective when running the offense. Faceoffs will be interesting, not sure who has the edge but winning close to 50% tomorrow will be huge for the Tigers. Hoping the Tigers stick with the 2nd middie line they rolled out against Richmond, and hopefully Stewart is back in action. Regardless, this should be an exciting game and I'm pumped to finally make it out to a game.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

That's the way to bounce back, 11-8 I have to admit I was befuddled at why Santora didn't play in the first half when Constantinides went won just two of the first 12 face-offs. So he wound up winning 8 of 23, so he won 6 of 11 in the second half. They obviously made some kind of adjustment. Certainly not a pretty game, but defense was strong and Brennan stepped up big in the second half. He's been up-and-down so far, but he was huge in the second half.

Offense was a struggle at times. Ended up with 16 turnovers. At times, they try to be too fine with their passes, looking for the home run. But they did just enough. Huge to get back on track at Loyola. Still not sure why Austin Stewart didn't play against Richmond. They were going with this small second middie unit of Reid, Bender and Josh Webber. But Stewart came on in the second half and his goal might have been the difference. He also passes the ball well and we can use that.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Much needed win tonight. Brennan was great, especially in the second half but the defense tightened things up in the second half and made it uncomfortable for Loyola. Offensively they definitely rushed at times but they didn't seem to settle for low percentage shots for the most part. #51 seemed to have found his groove in the second half at the X, but it seemed like he was getting the clamp even on the some of the faceoffs that were lost - both in the first and second half. Seems like he is only going to get better throughout the year, and that will be a huge benefit to the team. Onto UMBC.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Towson wanted this game. They lost faceoffs( better 2 Nd half) lost ground balls. Win def and goalie battle. Thought ssdm played better. Offense best in a long time. Loyola ran the same play almost every time in first half. Moved ball got match up they liked and dodged rt alley. 2nd half they looked like they went away and Towson got 4-5 shot clock counts. I am old school , cannot stand these good clean big hits drawing a flag. This is a very good Win after that last game. In last 4 games we have played 3 bad quarters. 2 Nd half vs Virginia, and 2 Nd quarter vs richmond. To me that’s a huge positive. I have to say Loyola Fans might be the worst fans I’ve ever seen. They talk to each other all game and show zero emotion. Too many for me showing up in suits, and Sports jackets.
molo

Post by molo »

Maybe the time and day accounted for the outfits. I would probably have been there but for a plumbing issue. Usually Loyola draws a big student crowd.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Math1234 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:25 pm That's the way to bounce back, 11-8 I have to admit I was befuddled at why Santora didn't play in the first half when Constantinides went won just two of the first 12 face-offs. So he wound up winning 8 of 23, so he won 6 of 11 in the second half. They obviously made some kind of adjustment. Certainly not a pretty game, but defense was strong and Brennan stepped up big in the second half. He's been up-and-down so far, but he was huge in the second half.

Offense was a struggle at times. Ended up with 16 turnovers. At times, they try to be too fine with their passes, looking for the home run. But they did just enough. Huge to get back on track at Loyola. Still not sure why Austin Stewart didn't play against Richmond. They were going with this small second middie unit of Reid, Bender and Josh Webber. But Stewart came on in the second half and his goal might have been the difference. He also passes the ball well and we can use that.
Looked like Stewart was not dressed against Richmond, so assuming he had an injury.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”