Coaches Corner

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Coaches Corner

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Note: Not to be confused with Coaching Carousel

I figured that it would be a good idea to start a topic where coaches can weigh in on subjects that they know more about than the rest of us non-coaches. I gather that a few of the members are or have been coaches at one point. So—I am copying a question from another topic over to here with a slight emendation.

I know this topic has come up before but I can’t remember if any of the coaches or former coaches who frequent this site have weighed in. If you fit that description, would you mind giving your opinion? I’m sure all of us would be most appreciative. It would be much more satisfying rather than this endless guessing and kvetching.

Why do other coaches leave their starters in when the game is no longer competitive? Why aren’t bench players getting more minutes during blowouts?

Whaddaya say, Coach?
Laxer2121

Re: Coaches Corner

Post by Laxer2121 »

What is a blow out to you? Many goals can be scored very quickly in this game and perhaps the coach is getting the players reps and experience in the game. I would think it comes down to the coaches philosophy and to their level of comfort with a lead and with their bench.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxer2121 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:09 pm What is a blow out to you? Many goals can be scored very quickly in this game and perhaps the coach is getting the players reps and experience in the game. I would think it comes down to the coaches philosophy and to their level of comfort with a lead and with their bench.
For me--a blowout is a running clock in the 2nd half, but that's just one fellow's opinion. I'm just asking a question to get a coach's perspective. It's a common focal point on this board and I'm just trying to get some insight. Speaking for myself, I'm not bothered by starters being out there, yet I do feel for the players on the bench who don't get a chance to play in games where the result has long been decided. If I had a vote, I would play the bench a lot earlier in blowouts.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:59 pm Note: Not to be confused with Coaching Carousel

I figured that it would be a good idea to start a topic where coaches can weigh in on subjects that they know more about than the rest of us non-coaches. I gather that a few of the members are or have been coaches at one point. So—I am copying a question from another topic over to here with a slight emendation.

I know this topic has come up before but I can’t remember if any of the coaches or former coaches who frequent this site have weighed in. If you fit that description, would you mind giving your opinion? I’m sure all of us would be most appreciative. It would be much more satisfying rather than this endless guessing and kvetching.

Why do other coaches leave their starters in when the game is no longer competitive? Why aren’t bench players getting more minutes during blowouts?

Whaddaya say, Coach?
A blowout game for me is definitely a 10 goal lead at any point in the game. As a coach I don't like running up the score on anyone - it's not great for either team. Today - too many coaches are self-promoting their players for Tewaarton, All-American, etc so these players need the stats. If that is the case - then get your stats early knowing you are going to be taken out for other players. If you are a starter and you are in a game where it is a blowout - then let the 2nd and 3rd team players get their opportunities for stats. Be a role player and help others.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:47 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:59 pm Note: Not to be confused with Coaching Carousel

Whaddaya say, Coach?
A blowout game for me is definitely a 10 goal lead at any point in the game. As a coach I don't like running up the score on anyone - it's not great for either team. Today - too many coaches are self-promoting their players for Tewaarton, All-American, etc so these players need the stats. If that is the case - then get your stats early knowing you are going to be taken out for other players. If you are a starter and you are in a game where it is a blowout - then let the 2nd and 3rd team players get their opportunities for stats. Be a role player and help others.
So well said, especially your final line, "Be a role player and help others". This is what being "a team" is all about.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

What Brownlax said was well and good and right. However, what was missing is the emotional side. What do I mean? Coach A has a better team than Coach B, but Coach B got a recruit that Coach A feels that he/she should have instead. The way to "even the score" is for Coach A to run it up on Coach B. That really happens...and the players become pawns.

When scores are out of control, look to the adults on the sidelines for the answers. Do not blame the players.
Laxfan69

Post by Laxfan69 »

Why is Charlotte North so good? Ive been watching her for awhile. Besides being incredibly crafty and creative, nothing she is doing seems new or game-breaking but everything she does seems to work. I never played but have been a casual fan for years and i recognize that she's really good but cant understand WHY she is really good? like what is she doing differently than everyone before her that makes a move that much better when she does it compared to her predecessors?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Laxfan69 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:25 pm Why is Charlotte North so good? Ive been watching her for awhile. Besides being incredibly crafty and creative, nothing she is doing seems new or game-breaking but everything she does seems to work. I never played but have been a casual fan for years and i recognize that she's really good but cant understand WHY she is really good? like what is she doing differently than everyone before her that makes a move that much better when she does it compared to her predecessors?
She is fierce. She is extremely talented and confident in those abilities. Her FP shot is unstoppable. Just like a great white, she goes for what she wants and eats it. Now her game has some flaws - ride /redefend isn't great and she isn't a feeder, but when she can give you 6-8 goals a game....
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Charlotte North is an all-time great scorer, with incredible dodging and shooting ability. Does it bother anyone else that her effort on the ride is close to zero. How can that good of an athlete never ride, never get a back check etc. Has anyone ever seen her set a pick for someone else on offense or simply cut-through on offense for a teammate so they have an opportunity to dodge and perhaps score. Its actually amazing that she does zero to help her team in those areas. In my opinion it is inexcusable and should not go unnoticed. I think she is very fortunate to be on a team of unselfish, talented and high lax IQ teammates that do what they can to help her shine.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Lax101 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:19 pm Charlotte North is an all-time great scorer, with incredible dodging and shooting ability. Does it bother anyone else that her effort on the ride is close to zero. How can that good of an athlete never ride, never get a back check etc. Has anyone ever seen her set a pick for someone else on offense or simply cut-through on offense for a teammate so they have an opportunity to dodge and perhaps score. Its actually amazing that she does zero to help her team in those areas. In my opinion it is inexcusable and should not go unnoticed. I think she is very fortunate to be on a team of unselfish, talented and high lax IQ teammates that do what they can to help her shine.
This!
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

cltlax wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:04 pm
Lax101 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:19 pm Charlotte North is an all-time great scorer, with incredible dodging and shooting ability. Does it bother anyone else that her effort on the ride is close to zero. How can that good of an athlete never ride, never get a back check etc. Has anyone ever seen her set a pick for someone else on offense or simply cut-through on offense for a teammate so they have an opportunity to dodge and perhaps score. Its actually amazing that she does zero to help her team in those areas. In my opinion it is inexcusable and should not go unnoticed. I think she is very fortunate to be on a team of unselfish, talented and high lax IQ teammates that do what they can to help her shine.
This!
Double This! !
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Boston College
CN 0 CT, 3GB
JM 4CT, 9GB
CM 1CT, 0GB
KM 2CT, 2GB
Just some stats. BC in entirety does not ride hard, but I completely agree with everything said above about North.

To compare
UNC
JO 6CT, 4GB
CW 4CT, 12GB
SRG 4CT, 8GB
AA 0CT, 8GB

UMD (a team that rides very hard)
AC 8CT, 15GB
HL 2CT, 5GB
LM 6CT, 10GB
EC 5CT, 12GB

Stats like these don't show everything like off ball movement and other offensive play, but you can still notice a difference in the stats.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Never? Interesting, I’ve seen her do all those things at some point.

Could it be possible that she is doing exactly what her coaches want her to be doing?
OuttaNowhereWregget

The indignation toward Charlotte North regarding her participation on the ride/redefend is laughable. She was key in their first national championship triumph. This is her last year. Without her, they don’t stand a chance at repeating. So, so what if she doesn’t ride with the same gusto that she takes draws or scores goals. Not everyone can be Sam Apuzzo.
OuttaNowhereWregget

In the huddle with coach Treanor

So, coaches, (and anyone else who wants to weigh in)—what do you think of the play Treanor drew up yesterday vs Carolina? Did the team execute it as it was drawn?

Seacoaster(1)

Re: In the huddle with coach Treanor

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:21 am So, coaches, (and anyone else who wants to weigh in)—what do you think of the play Treanor drew up yesterday vs Carolina? Did the team execute it as it was drawn?

I think Adamson needed to take another step up from GLE before shooting. But yes, they seem to execute pretty much as drawn up -- MT with the ball, other players trying to "occupy" their defenders, and pull them out of the play.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:13 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:21 am So, coaches, (and anyone else who wants to weigh in)—what do you think of the play Treanor drew up yesterday vs Carolina? Did the team execute it as it was drawn?
I think Adamson needed to take another step up from GLE before shooting. But yes, they seem to execute pretty much as drawn up -- MT with the ball, other players trying to "occupy" their defenders, and pull them out of the play.
Adamson was wide open yet didn't give that extra fake to get Moreno to move. Shot it right into her stick. Making those critical fakes before shooting comes with experience, I guess.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:13 am

That's what I saw too. It was a good cut by Adamson...caught her defender ball watching. Adamson needed another step or could have hit either Swart and Hawryschuk wide open on the opposite slide. In a moment that big, with the adrenaline - the patience, composure, & vision to make that extra pass usually comes from experience. I wouldn't be surprised if that was reviewed in film. Whether it was learning to take an extra step, look for an extra pass, or both there really is no better teacher than experience

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”