Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by kramerica.inc »

Guys like Seay and Bateman will be fine. They both have had moments. I think we are gonna ride the hot hand on offense. All of these guys will get their chance and their time will come. If they ALL get hot at the same time, look out.

The PL will be a battle as always, but there are still a LOT of OOC games to go - Towson, Duke, GT? :shock:

Loyola will be perhaps the most battle tested team come May. If they keep their heads right, (and the game over game improvement shows me they are), it could be a good year for the Hounds.
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:21 am Guys like Seay and Bateman will be fine. They both have had moments. I think we are gonna ride the hot hand on offense. All of these guys will get their chance and their time will come. If they ALL get hot at the same time, look out.

The PL will be a battle as always, but there are still a LOT of OOC games to go - Towson, Duke, GT? :shock:

Loyola will be perhaps the most battle tested team come May. If they keep their heads right, (and the game over game improvement shows me they are), it could be a good year for the Hounds.
Not sure why not playing Seay and Bateman makes sense? Close game, playing players that have struggled.

I believe the hounds will be fine in the patriot league, but they cannot have any hiccups along the way.

Get the right personnel in, keep using the motion offense, get Lindley more into the game.

Defense find a goalie and stay with it, not sure why Staudt was taken out...Schaffer did a good job, not fair to those players. Find the right combo with D and have better communication.

Still waiting for some leadership from those 5th years
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Loyolalax wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:01 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:21 am Guys like Seay and Bateman will be fine. They both have had moments. I think we are gonna ride the hot hand on offense. All of these guys will get their chance and their time will come. If they ALL get hot at the same time, look out.

Not sure why not playing Seay and Bateman makes sense? Close game, playing players that have struggled.
Seay and Bateman both played against Rutgers. I assume what you mean is that they didn't play as much as you would have expected. Seay played really well against MD (2 goals on 3 shots) and I would like to see him on the field more as well.

One thing I noticed against Rutgers is that we used a ton of middies in lots of different combinations. Aside from the first line of James, Higgins, and Poitras, we didn't seem to have set lines. Wigley, Bateman, Seay, Lindsey, Binney, and Heuston all got playing time.

One player I did not see on the field on Saturday is Benus, who seems to be struggling to get back into playing condition. The shorties of Rezanka, Sally, Sherwood, and McGillicuddy played pretty well, especially the first two. Higgins and Poitras also took some runs as SSDMs that seemed to be by design as opposed to getting caught on defense during a fast break. In one case, they both played defense after we chucked the ball into the corner at the end of the shot clock.
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

Beautiful night at Ridley. Sloppy. Mental mistakes unforced turnovers. Killing us.

Positive savio plaiyng welll and winning gb battle.

No way this should be tied at half.
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

With such an experienced offensive team. 2 goals in the second half Our man up is awful.

We keep doing the same thing and expecting different results No heart in this team.

Got to be able to carry the ball with out getting it stick checked

Can not win face offs second half. Total meltdown offensively and defensively.

Poor shot choices.

Towson better prepared and ready to play
molo

Post by molo »

Caught the end of this game after watching the Cuse give Army West Point a tough game before the Knights salted it away. Looks like the Hounds have a case of the Cumberland blues this year.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

loyola2025 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 pm With such an experienced offensive team. 2 goals in the second half Our man up is awful.

We keep doing the same thing and expecting different results No heart in this team.

Poor shot choices.

Agree on all counts. I always try to find something positive in a game, especially in a loss, but this one was tough. Savio clearly was the bright spot, particularly in the first half (12-2). He got some good help from the wings as well. But Towson made adjustments at halftime, and not only won more faceoffs in the second half, but also applied pressure that caused faceoff wins for us to turn into turnovers.

The defense played ok overall, and Shafer made some big stops in the second half, but then we struggled to clear, especially in the 4th quarter. I don't think I've ever seen a Loyola team that can't clear the ball. That was tough to watch. It was nice to see Wyers running at full speed again, and not wearing that bulky brace. He was all over the field tonight and made some great plays. For some reason, he didn't play in the 4th quarter though. I didn't see him get injured, and I sure hope that is not the case.

To me, the low point was the EMO unit. We had 3 EMO opportunities - two for 30 secs and one for a minute. Combined, we took ZERO shots while man up. Just terrible.

I'm afraid the best thing about tonight was the weather at Ridley. I hope the Hounds shake this one off and play well on Saturday.
Last edited by GreyingHound on Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Loyola has talent. They have played a tough schedule. Gotta imagine they can turn things around and salvage their season … if not for themselves, then their friendly neighbors down Charles Street.

Let’s go, Greyhounds! Blue Jays need the quality win. Plus, I love how Loyola plays lacrosse.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

GreyingHound wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:17 pm
loyola2025 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:57 pm With such an experienced offensive team. 2 goals in the second half Our man up is awful.

Poor shot choices.

Agree on all counts. I always try to find something positive in a game, especially in a loss, but this one was tough. Savio clearly was the bright spot, particularly in the first half (12-2). He got some good help from the wings as well. But Towson made adjustments at halftime, and not only won more faceoffs in the second half, but also applied pressure that caused faceoff wins for us to turn into turnovers.

The defense played ok overall, and Shafer made some big stops in the second half, but then we struggled to clear, especially in the 4th quarter. I don't think I've ever seen a Loyola team that can't clear the ball. That was tough to watch. It was nice to see Wyers running at full speed again, and not wearing that bulky brace. He was all over the field tonight and made some great plays. For some reason, he didn't play in the 4th quarter though. I didn't see him get injured, and I sure hope that is not the case.

To me, the low point was the EMO unit. We had 3 EMO opportunities - two for 30 secs and one for a minute. Combined, we took ZERO shots while man up. Just terrible.

I'm afraid the best thing about tonight was the weather at Ridley. I hope the Hounds shake this one off and play well on Saturday.
Nothing good about this game. When it came to crunch time we fell apart. This seems to be our mo.

I agree. Our emo. Is an embarrassment. We run the same play every time. MVA offense is not getting it done 20% shooting. Really only one goal second half, when it counted.

Savio looked good. Towson made changes. We did not. Bailey needs help on the wing. He cannot keep trying to win it himself

We are undisciplined on d. We get run by. Slide skip pass Towson goal. Or we slide too late and get beat. Shaffer was a positive. Stick with him.

Turnovers. Same players week in and week out Physically ewe have some players that cannot hold onto the ball.

This is a coaching issue. Either the right players are not in. Or they are not responding
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Let’s get this season turned around tomorrow versus Lafayette!!!

Let’s go!!!
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:28 pm Let’s get this season turned around tomorrow versus Lafayette!!!

Let’s go!!!ama

You're optimism amzimazim amazininazimam me,

m
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Drcthru wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:41 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:28 pm Let’s get this season turned around tomorrow versus Lafayette!!!

Let’s go!!!ama

You're optimism amzimazim amazininazimam me,

m

Today is breakout day. Let’s go!!!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Strange day so far with 13 team goals but zero Lindley points….

🤔
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:44 pm Strange day so far with 13 team goals but zero Lindley points….

🤔

Let’s go boys!!! 14-12 win on the road, not exactly a warm day up there in lonely Easton PA. I’ll take it!!!

Duke next. Let’s beat the Blue Devils, c’mon!!!!

Sam has got to get sharper in cage is my only call from the stat sheet. He will.

Fired up!!! Great job today, players and coaches!!!
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Congrats to the Hounds on getting a W. Gotta feel that the longer they went without a win, they started gripping harder feeling pressure and hence forcing more mistakes.

Not gonna take anything for granted this year...a win is a win and I’m sure the team and staff are relieved.

1-0 in the PL...Gotta start somewhere

Good W...now go back to work and keep getting better.

Go Hounds!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I’ll take a road win! A conference win is an excellent way to start the PL regular season. Good job boys!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Goalkeeping in lacrosse is extremely hard and often a thankless task, I acknowledge that, but Loyola is going to be severely handicapped if they can't find a way to get to 50% at least sometimes. Lafayette had 12 goals on 27 shots yesterday. You figure Duke is getting closer to 40 at least next week. It isn't winnable without better goalie play.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Duke will probably kill us next weekend let’s be honest.

While the shooting percentage has still been pretty bad, something that I liked yesterday was seeing that the offense was able to generate time and room looks off of quicker ball movement. Granted, a lot of those looks did not result on cage or goals but it’s still a positive sign. This has been a problem for the past couple games but it looked like in the latter part of the 2nd half they solved that issue for a tiny bit.

Still… team is a work in progress and has to be better for Duke. They might be short on talent but they can certainly play with energy.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:47 pm Duke will probably kill us next weekend let’s be honest.

While the shooting percentage has still been pretty bad, something that I liked yesterday was seeing that the offense was able to generate time and room looks off of quicker ball movement. Granted, a lot of those looks did not result on cage or goals but it’s still a positive sign. This has been a problem for the past couple games but it looked like in the latter part of the 2nd half they solved that issue for a tiny bit.

Still… team is a work in progress and has to be better for Duke. They might be short on talent but they can certainly play with energy.
I agree with houndace, I liked the fact that we had pics and cuts and great ball movement... Shot selection still not stellar. Plus we let up some easy goals with simple dodges.

On a side not, ESPN+ is terrible
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Loyolalax wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:46 pm
On a side not, ESPN+ is terrible
OK, I was waiting for someone else to say it. Yes, it is sold as ESPN+, but in reality it is a locally-produced broadcast, and the quality varies dramatically based on the venue. The commentator yesterday did a decent job, but I was dying to explain to him that a lacrosse team is not called a "side." More frustrating to me though was the camera work. How do we teach camera operators and producers that we do not need to see a tight shot of the goalie after a save when meanwhile, his outlet pass has resulted in a fastbreak scoring opportunity at the other end, which we are missing entirely because, well, instead we're zoomed in on a goalie doing nothing. :roll:

No such problems next week, as we're back at Ridley again. We have a tall task ahead of us, but if we can do a better job of converting our shots, and are able to steal a few saves, this could be a competitive game.

Go Hounds!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”