Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

Will Peden was one and is starting on attack for Penn State, second on the team in points. Good player, could end up being a very good one.

Jake Cohen also contributing on D for Yale.

Andy Demopolous was the goalie, now at Brown, but is not starting for them.

The 2021 class is likely to end up being kind of a mediocre one across the board. Not a ton of obvious impact players. UVA's Shutz, Duke's McAdorey, and Yale's Leo Johnson look good but outside of those three a lot of the purportedly top players have yet to crack their respective lineups. The 2022 class (current HS seniors) is believed to have a more talent. Collison is going to be a force — in my eyes he is as sure of a thing as there is.

What if we all agreed to block fatty? Isolate him like the world is isolating Putin.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:51 am I must admit I completely forget about gambling - never enters my mind - I would want the young man in question to get back as soon as possible and I want the team to be successful.

In terms of another comment made - it seems we don't like yoga and stretching but we also don't like competition in practice that leads to potential injuries? Accidents happen - you need to go hard in practice - and without details it may be totally understandable.
My point was, do you practice the way you play, or do you play the way you practice? Hopkins plays like they are uninterested in the other " H" word. Hustle.

MY...philosophy, as the Hopkins coach, would be that players on UNC's teams would be leaving the game with a broken hand.

This, however, is the new "Cuse defensive guru's mojo, when it comes to "practicing hard" . (scroll to 1:45......instructions to a player that rarely played ) AH>>>>.this was the face of lacrosse that was shoved down our throats ......."you know Marvin Gaye ? motown baby, motown" I wanna play for THIS guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvApRm8H-7k
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

please lets not delve into Charm City's positives and negatives for the umpteenth thousandth time. I think it could be summed up that the + and _ categories are much different for a young professional trying to live somewhere versus an 18 year old that has to spend the vast majority of his time on a small urban college campus.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Went ahead and did it — waited way too long but better now than never. Instantly felt a feeling a calm wash over me, can almost feel the brain cells returning. Would suggest everyone do the same.

runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:59 am Will Peden was one and is starting on attack for Penn State, second on the team in points. Good player, could end up being a very good one.

The 2021 class is likely to end up being kind of a mediocre one across the board. Not a ton of obvious impact players. UVA's Shutz, Duke's McAdorey, and Yale's Leo Johnson look good but outside of those three a lot of the purportedly top players have yet to crack their respective lineups. The 2022 class (current HS seniors) is believed to have a more talent. Collison is going to be a force — in my eyes he is as sure of a thing as there is.

What if we all agreed to block fatty? Isolate him like the world is isolating Putin.
good information......and than you had to get "personel" and sully a nice comment :D

Why would you want good lacrosse talk to be blocked? Is it any wonder the legacy top team threads are buried back on pages 3, or 4. (Syracuse, UVA, etc ) ...........look around. Not a neat place to "hang out", when proficient posters feel the need to get personel on a lacrosse thread.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:09 am Went ahead and did it — waited way too long but better now than never. Instantly felt a feeling a calm wash over me, can almost feel the brain cells returning. Would suggest everyone do the same.

Good choice.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Catbird wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:19 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:09 am Went ahead and did it — waited way too long but better now than never. Instantly felt a feeling a calm wash over me, can almost feel the brain cells returning. Would suggest everyone do the same.

Good choice.
Not really.......I think starting 3 righties isn't a problem, at all. It might, just be, addition, by subtraction.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

15 posts later, I still don't know who has a broken hand.
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

"Can someone please explain a defensive scheme where a Tewaaraton Finalist (91 pts 2021) is given an SSDM at will?"

Please don't dominate the rap, Jack, unless you got something to new to say.
molo

Post by molo »

Nothing about this injury in the Sun or IL.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Don't give the Hoos any info to help them prepare!!!!

(I don't know who got hurt. The team posted a video on social media today that shows Epstein on the field but who knows when that was taken)
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:43 am

I also think your characterization of Milliman's recruting is grossly unfair and ignores all context. Taking over the team in April of 20 his first order of priority was to figure out what he could put on the field in '21- he couldn't even meet his own current players in person until what 8-9 months later? Then he had virtually every player Petro had recruited for the class showing up for the 21 season decommit and he had to construct some sort of class without access to any "starred" players because all of them had committed elsewhere some 2 years prior. Finally, he had to be prepared to take on commitments from the kids showing up this fall in September of 2020 and since alot of recruiting was already in the works - the Petro situation affected that class as well. Clearly the twins - who were not likely to attend Hopkins reagrdless - were never going once their father was dismissed and players like Sunderland who apparently had interest in Hopkins - immediately went elsewhere.
All correct. Firing a coach, or I guess not renewing his contract, means you are basically blowing up a recruiting class. It is what it is and it takes time to rebuild it. Add in COVID that inhibited but didn't eliminate recruiting further impacted what Millman could do. COVID also blew up any type of fall ball at Hopkins - this was not the case at all schools. But, for a new coach his first fall ball was this fall. Even then it wasn't a "normal" one. I think COVID pushed the entire rebuild back an entire year. This year will be so so. Next year will be another okay year given losses and recruits coming in. But, you should at least see where the program is going to go. Year 4 will be the determining factor in the tragectory Millman's career at Hopkins goes.

As a note (and this isn't directed at you) if you think kids still wearing masks doesn't impact recruiting then you are not looking through this with parental glasses. My daughter is starting to look at schools and we've already eliminated many that have continued way too strict COVID guidelines given the risk parameters of college students (and if you don't remove them now, when will you?)
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:59 am Will Peden was one and is starting on attack for Penn State, second on the team in points. Good player, could end up being a very good one.

I have no idea if the current freshman class is stronger or weaker compared to other classes but the fact college players were given an extra year from COVID means there are less opportunities for freshman to get on the field. This isn't the case for every school but it is a factor at some. There are some seniors that shouldn't be out there playing in college games that should be working in the real world. I'm not condemning them getting another year but it does have an impact. This year will likely be the biggest one impacted by this type of thing and it will slowly fade over the next two years.
molo

Post by molo »

Just hope whoever it is heals quickly and completely.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

molo wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:12 pm Just hope whoever it is heals quickly and completely.
We had a decade+ of top 5 and often top 2 recruiting classes under Petro that resulted in 1 ff. At least w/this corona transition PM was able to add szulaks, kirsons, jenningss and others which softened the blow of the transition particularly at the defensive end. He did a nice job of convincing a number of pieces to stay, managed to rejuvenate deso, got strong buy in from his most talented player and best leader in Epstein. All things considered that was about as well as I think any of even the most skeptical fans could have asked for. A program which had struggled for years in a pandemic with a coaching transition and other teams loaded to win was not going to initially blow the doors off the transfer and recruiting trails.

Injuries are a reality of sports. They had 2 offseasons to try to add, and if people are in that lockerroom it's because they believe they can step onto a field and help us win games. If these sad reports are true, I'm excited to see some kid get an opportunity to make a difference on a major stage.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:38 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:56 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:17 pm Lost a starting attacker today in practice. Out 3-6 weeks with broken hand. Unfortunate.
Anyone want to enlighten the rest of us as to who?
No need to provide names. Just answer a few vague, generic, non-specific questions that would in no way allow us to identify the injured attackman by name.

1) Has the injured attackman ever scored 73 points in a single season?

2) Is the injured attackman a sophomore?

3) Does the injured attackman have a surname that rhymes with BeTimone?

Thanks.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:12 pm Injuries are a reality of sports. They had 2 offseasons to try to add, and if people are in that lockerroom it's because they believe they can step onto a field and help us win games. If these sad reports are true, I'm excited to see some kid get an opportunity to make a difference on a major stage.
Well depending on which attackman is out, they could just move Angelus or Keogh to attack without necessarily going to the bench. Then backill that spot on the first midfield with one of McDermott, Peshko, Raposo, or Evans. Other three stay on the second midfield.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Maybe, but IMO, Too early to make that call, reliably, on the 2021 Class comparison. You mentioned only 3 offensive players, but add Virginia goalie, Nunes, to that group. I am sure there are others at less glamorous positions making similar impacts. Nunes may, arguably, be having a bigger impact for Virginia than Schutz early. There is a nice Article on him in the Washington Post.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

06 - We had a decade+ of top 5 and often top 2 recruiting classes under Petro that resulted in 1 ff.

I would like to see the receipts you are relying on to make this claim. Should be easy if you can make the claim
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

06 - We had a decade+ of top 5 and often top 2 recruiting classes under Petro that resulted in 1 ff.

I would like to see the receipts you are relying on to make this claim. Should be easy if you can make the claim

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”