Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:34 am People keep referencing a Maher injury. Did he not leave the team?
He was in a walking boot the entire fall and then had a setback in the preseason. Then he left the team. Not sure if he'll be back next year but the injury was going to keep him out this season regardless. He wouldn't be away from the team if he were healthy.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:50 am
flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:34 am People keep referencing a Maher injury. Did he not leave the team?
He was in a walking boot the entire fall and then had a setback in the preseason. Then he left the team. Not sure if he'll be back next year but the injury was going to keep him out this season regardless. He wouldn't be away from the team if he were healthy.
Thanks I hadn’t heard that back story.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm going to go out on a small limb and say that if Kirson is 45+% this weekend, he'll likely have played pretty darn well, given the likely quality of shots. But he'll need to be 60+% for a win. Not impossible.

Only other wild card would be a major off day for LaSalla and his wings. Or Nunes way off. I see possessions tilting for UVA and them pushing pace.

On the season projections, I think Catbird's optimism, while perhaps being a stretch, is not unreasonable for a Hop fan at this early point. Hope springs eternal... in the spring and as the weather warms.

But it will indeed need some of the 'hopes' to come into themselves.
I'm hoping Grimes does.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

That 9-5 includes a win vs MD. ;)

UVA is heavy favorite based on pedigree, but their result against Towson wasn't much different than ours. Yes slaughtered Cuse but who knows how good they are this year. We will have to wait until the following week to see that comparison.

Cautiously optimistic we will hold our own on Saturday but underdog for sure.
Last edited by Catbird on Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Catbird wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:49 am Seems like people have lots of assumptions on how the current season is going to unfold based on history of a coaching staff that is no longer on campus.

The one that is currently on campus took the team from looking like the Little Giants in February last year to going toe to toe with the National runner up twice to end the season.
improvement, over the season, is hardly the domain of Hopkins. You know this. Mercer will wrap up their season in the Sunshine playoffs, with a 1st round possible re-match against the Dolphins. And, very likely, the Bears may beat Jacksonville.

Leaving, Hopkins, where, at the end of the season. Will a Jacksonville team that couldn't even make its own leagues championship game, still be consider quality?

Yeah, Mercer isn't working hard.....and very happy to see Hampton go all in, full dive into Division one. Coach Woodson.....great hire too.

Or....Jacksonville loosing to Richmond or High Point.

Let's face it.....Sunshine league is a ONE bid league, just like the CAA, NEC, MAAC and we guess now, the ASUN. Hard sell, to claim a non-ncaa team is a QW. (Jacksonville IS a quality team.......watched with admiration and amazement , while Gallaway up north, the quality of a coach he is. Truly making his staff better as well. Anyone who claims "coaching" doesn't matter is being silly...........)
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

sorry dude my life continues to be simpler and more pleasant with you on the ignore list.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Catbird wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:24 am sorry dude my life continues to be simpler and more pleasant with you on the ignore list.
None of that makes sense.

What also, doesn't make sense, is how Zinn has 5 pts, playing for UVA in this young season

He had one goal, one assist......for ALL of last year.

chips on shoulders and gingers aren't something to mess with. thinking he gets 2 & 2 against his old coaches, with a couple of CTO's to go along with it.
molo

Post by molo »

He averages a point a game as a second middie/part time dm. I guess Hopkins didn’t get more out of him because they had such a surplus of fast, athletic middies!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

molo wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:40 pm He averages a point a game as a second middie/part time dm. I guess Hopkins didn’t get more out of him because they had such a surplus of fast, athletic middies!
What IS the point of being fast, if coach is always waving you into the pit stop during a fast break....you know, making the game about coaching, instead of actually doing it. Even, just the mindset, that coach is gonna get mad if I miss that fast break opportunity, IS enough to sow doubt. Hurting a players confidence, ever so slightly.

offensively, if you ain't confident, there IS a reason for it. Especially at the level Hopkins sells itself. Often times, player is the cause (out of shape, failure to develop shot.....

Coach Tiffany, is a student of the "coach confidence first" methods. For others to judge their own programs coaching staff.

Fast offense isn't the "only" gimmick Lars picked up from Coach Daly ;)
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:40 pm He averages a point a game as a second middie/part time dm. I guess Hopkins didn’t get more out of him because they had such a surplus of fast, athletic middies!
He has one 6v6 goal this season, against Air Force. His two assists came in 4th quarter garbage time when UVA was up by 12. Since then he has 2 pts, 2 GBs, and is shooting 12% across three games. He looks like exactly the same player as he was last year, just on a much better team, so he's inevitably getting a couple more opportunities per game. The reason that two completely different staffs did not get more out of him was because he was a career 15% shooter and frequently turned the ball over when pressured (and sometimes when not). I wish him the absolute best — everyone here probably remembers me being one of his biggest supporters as a freshman — but there is scant evidence to suggest he's suddenly a different guy based on UVA's first four games or that they're even using him differently.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

I shouldn't be doing your job for you but if you want to needle us about lost recruits/players at least pepper us with Owen Murphy statistics instead. ;)
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:27 pm
Catbird wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:24 am sorry dude my life continues to be simpler and more pleasant with you on the ignore list.

What also, doesn't make sense, is how Zinn has 5 pts, playing for UVA in this young season

chips on shoulders and gingers aren't something to mess with. thinking he gets 2 & 2 against his old coaches, with a couple of CTO's to go along with it.
Of more importance, Zinn has been very effective as a clearing outlet which has fueled transition offense for Virginia. He got some Conrad comparisons against Cuse for that from the announcers......He certainly isn't Conrad, but nice compliment anyway. It helps to be bigger and faster than those trying to ride you. The season is young, but we haven't yet seen him with many turnovers either. He has been a great addition so far.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:13 pm I shouldn't be doing your job for you but if you want to needle us about lost recruits/players at least pepper us with Owen Murphy statistics instead. ;)
Credit Benson. Now that he's at UMD he will attract even more top level O talent. He is one of the best minds in the game. Could be a HC if he wanted. Not sure he wants what comes with it.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

blue angels wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:28 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:27 pm

Of more importance, Zinn has been very effective as a clearing outlet which has fueled transition offense for Virginia. He got some Conrad comparisons against Cuse for that from the announcers......He certainly isn't Conrad, but nice compliment anyway. It helps to be bigger and faster than those trying to ride you. The season is young, but we haven't yet seen him with many turnovers either. He has been a great addition so far.
Zinn is a good player. Just one of those things. He should contribute to a successful team.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:07 am I'm going to go out on a small limb and say that if Kirson is 45+% this weekend, he'll likely have played pretty darn well, given the likely quality of shots. But he'll need to be 60+% for a win. Not impossible.

Only other wild card would be a major off day for LaSalla and his wings. Or Nunes way off. I see possessions tilting for UVA and them pushing pace.

On the season projections, I think Catbird's optimism, while perhaps being a stretch, is not unreasonable for a Hop fan at this early point. Hope springs eternal... in the spring and as the weather warms.

I'm hoping Grimes does.
You may be right.

Blue Jays will need their “A” game … for Kirson, that’s saving 55-60%. Tough order against Virginia.

One key element will be for Kirson to control rebounds on his saves. Can’t make a save and then have Virginia pick up the GB with a new shot clock. Might as well not count as a save at all. Kirson has been better recently with respect to controlling rebounds, but I wouldn’t consider it a strength of his.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I'm expecting a shakeup on the midfields. The second one isn't working and they're too dependent on degnon/connor and epstein. There has to be a lot of awful film and we'll see what kind of accountability there is for it saturday.
Someone said Narewski was in uniform on the sideline and if he traveled to chapel hill that must mean he's close.
Not that we're counting on a player in fernandez who's never worn a hopkins uniform on the field in a public setting but competition wouldn't hurt and it looks like delaney has at least another week w/the mens basketball team.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:49 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:07 am I'm going to go out on a small limb and say that if Kirson is 45+% this weekend, he'll likely have played pretty darn well, given the likely quality of shots. But he'll need to be 60+% for a win. Not impossible.

I'm hoping Grimes does.
You may be right.

Blue Jays will need their “A” game … for Kirson, that’s saving 55-60%. Tough order against Virginia.

One key element will be for Kirson to control rebounds on his saves. Can’t make a save and then have Virginia pick up the GB with a new shot clock. Might as well not count as a save at all. Kirson has been better recently with respect to controlling rebounds, but I wouldn’t consider it a strength of his.

DocBarrister
well, I'll take saves, rebound opportunities or not.
Obviously no rebound is better, but first job is stopping the rock.
A lot of times.

Goalies do work on absorbing shots, but the reality is one isn't thinking about controlling rebounds in the moment. Make the save, react to the loose ball when there is one is a whole team job.

Best of luck to him.
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

"well, I'll take saves, rebound opportunities or not.
A lot of times.

Goalies do work on absorbing shots, but the reality is one isn't thinking about controlling rebounds in the moment. Make the save, react to the loose ball when there is one is a whole team job.

Best of luck to him."

+1
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:04 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:49 pm

I'm hoping Grimes does.
You may be right.

DocBarrister
well, I'll take saves, rebound opportunities or not.
A lot of times.

Best of luck to him.
Yep, and I’m certain that Kirson has been working “on absorbing shots” (controlling rebounds) because he has improved on that front. That’s all we can ask him to do.

Have to give credit to the young man … he has upped his game just when the team needed it.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Lost a starting attacker today in practice. Out 3-6 weeks with broken hand. Unfortunate.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”