Cornell 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Cornell 2022

Post by joewillie78 »

We knew that the Statesmen would give the BIGRED all they could, but this team can beat you just about anyway you want. They can beat you anyway but this was back to the high octane offense that this team still posesses. Coyle, Kirst, Blake etc. We're awesome and PETRAKIS was great on the X. Hobarts offense is also high octane and can score on anyone, so our D and Goalie held up well.
Now onto another great matchup against the Buckeyes this Saturday back at the Kopf.
I love this team and when we get Long back, we will be even stronger. Congrats to Coach Buceyk, as again, it's tough to take over such a great program, with all the pressure, but you have handled it great.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Tommy Mott got no shots off all game (maybe one in last 4 min of game). That was huge as he was completely shut off
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

'Not sure where to start other than by saying Hobart came out flying (they did not play on Saturday)...and Cornell played one of the worst quarters I've seen in along time. Thank God, Hobart allowed Cornell to stay close early on by continuing to turn the ball over against a very aggressive Cornell ride.
My observations:
-Failed 1st half clears - not only were they very un-Cornell like, the clearing strategy against a 10 man ride was all wrong. They were, basically, throwing the ball to the best athlete with a ss and relying on him to run through X Hobart defenders. 'Need to use the goalie against a 10 man and for the goalie and poles to push the ball upfield. 13 1st half turnovers. Not good.
-Cornell only had one 6 on 6 goal in the 1st half (the 5 were off of an EMO, turnover/steal or restarts). I kept thinking that they're getting killed by the lack of a threat at x. Not surprisingly, great adjustment by Buzcek, (something I suggested to myself last week vs. Lehigh) by moving Coyle to x (where he played at Malvern and Hill).
-Nice coaching job in the 2nd half - having to mix and match the entire half given the injury to Lombardi (I hope not, but his knee or foot injury did not look good...at all). He always kept 2 dodgers on the field. The O just came together and really opened up.
-Excellent day for Bartolotto; great effort.
-Cornell was lucky to get 2 goals on restarts, the one by Kirst with 10 seconds left in the 1st half was huge - I thought the ref let him cheat up a bit and perhaps start somewhat early; the other goal by Piatelli was open because his man went for a sideline GB and wasn't ready.
-27 reminds me so much of Fletcher (size and game). Cornell has 3 terrific young offensive players in Blake, Kelleher, and Kirst and the two shorties, Smith and Davis have seemingly come out of nowhere. They play so confidently.
-The O midfield is really thin on scoring threats without Lombardi.
Credit to Hobart - fun offense. High powered and guys who can shoot.
Last edited by VeryRustyRed on Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
another fan

Post by another fan »

What an uneven game for Cornell. Q1 was a nightmare and only great play by Kirst kept us in the game for the first half. We solved Hobart's aggressive ride and had an excellent third quarter into the 4th, until Hobart went on a late, but still scary run.

I've said a few times in the past that Coyle should be Long's replacement and he made a huge difference initiating, feeding and scoring from behind. Blake and Kelleher continue to be impressive, and Petrakis with another nice job against Hobart's strong fogo.

Unfortunately, it looked like Lombardi may have suffered a serious knee injury. Fingers crossed that I am wrong. He has been selfless moving to midfield from his preferred position at attack and would be a big loss.

With Lombardi down and Coyle at attack, we are short handed in the offensive midfield. Chabot, our fourth short stick, looks to be still finding his way. Boccafola had a knee brace on and also seemed somewhat limited. Defense was pretty solid until Hobart's late run. Credit to Hobart for that late comeback. Strong play against Archer and Mott, but Madonna, Herlihy et al picked up the slack.

Like Cornell, Hobart had an inconsistent game. When they put everything together for a full game, they look to be a very dangerous team.Good luck to Hobart for the rest of the season. We still have work to do to compete at the highest level. GBR
Last edited by another fan on Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Congrats to Cornell. The figured out D in the second half and made us pay with superior ball and offball movement. Petrakis is damn good. When he didn't pick it up, your wings did. Game reminded me a lot of the '76 game.
another fan

Post by another fan »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:25 pm 'Not sure where to start other than by saying Hobart came out flying (they did not play on Saturday)...and Cornell played one of the worst quarters I've seen in along time. Thank God, Hobart allowed Cornell to stay close early on by continuing to turn the ball over against a very aggressive Cornell ride.
My observations:
-Failed 1st half clears - not only were they very un-Cornell like, the clearing strategy against a 10 man ride was all wrong. They were, basically, throwing the ball to the best athlete with a ss and relying on him to run through X Hobart defenders. 'Need to use the goalie against a 10 man and for the goalie and poles to push the ball upfield. 13 1st half turnovers. Not good.
-Cornell only had one 6 on 6 goal in the 1st half (the 5 were off of an EMO, turnover/steal or restarts). I kept thinking that they're getting killed by the lack of a threat at x. Not surprisingly, great adjustment by Buzcek, something I suggested to myself last week vs. Lehigh) by moving Coyle to x (where he played at Malvern and Hill).
-Nice coaching job in the 2nd half - having to mix and match the entire half given the injury to Lombardi (I hope not, but his knee or foot injury did not look good...at all). He always kept 2 dodgers on the field. The O just came together and really opened up.
-Excellent day for Bartolotto; great effort.
-Cornell was lucky to get 2 goals on restarts, the one by Kirst with 10 seconds left in the 1st half was huge - I thought the ref let him cheat up a bit and perhaps start somewhat early; the other goal by Piatelli was open because his man went for a sideline GB and wasn't ready.
-27 reminds me so much of Fletcher (size and game). Cornell has 3 terrific young offensive players in Blake, Kelleher, and Kirst and the two shorties, Smith and Davis have seemingly come out of nowhere. They play so confidently.
-The O midfield is really thin on scoring threats without Lombardi.
Credit to Hobart - fun offense. High powered and guys who can shoot.
I should have read your post before posting mine, as there is plenty of overlap. The Kelleher/Fletcher analogy is a good one. Both loads with a head of steam and able to go right or left. I think Kelleher is a more accurate shooter, though. Piatelli is contributing in different ways, but still forcing some, and still looking for that break out game. In addition to scoring, Blake hustled back and played good D several times. As you said, Kirst, Kelleher, and Blake are three young stars, and the two new shorties are a very pleasant surprise.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Cornell played a great quarter and a half from the start of the second half through the 7-8 minute mark of the 4th quarter. The rest of the game was ugly. The first quarter was, as others pointed out, a disaster. The 5 goal run given up in the 4th quarter was not pretty either. I was watching from home and couldn't tell whether the shots were ripped or not. But I don't know if Ierlan had a save in the 4th quarter and it looked like he was not seeing the ball at all during that run.

The 11-2 run to open the second half was a thing of beauty though. And Petrakis excelled for the 2nd game in a row and was a significant factor against another strong FoGo.

I hope Lombardi catches a break and Long comes back. The team needs to be at full strength vs OSU.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Good win. Hope Lombardi is ok.
“I wish you would!”
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Chousnake wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:38 pm Cornell played a great quarter and a half from the start of the second half through the 7-8 minute mark of the 4th quarter. The rest of the game was ugly. The first quarter was, as others pointed out, a disaster. The 5 goal run given up in the 4th quarter was not pretty either. I was watching from home and couldn't tell whether the shots were ripped or not. But I don't know if Ierlan had a save in the 4th quarter and it looked like he was not seeing the ball at all during that run.

The 11-2 run to open the second half was a thing of beauty though. And Petrakis excelled for the 2nd game in a row and was a significant factor against another strong FoGo.

I hope Lombardi catches a break and Long comes back. The team needs to be at full strength vs OSU.
I agree. Hope Long and Lombardi are back Saturday, BUT again, good or great teams have to have depth, and this team seems to have that. Coach Buscek, has done a masterful job moving parts around (like with Coyle tonight).
No excuses, from this Big Red fan, as if Long and Lombardi can't go Saturday, I expect the guys who fill in will do so with great success, and keep this Big Red train rolling.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
RedIvy

Post by RedIvy »

Not much more to say except to mention this was the second game in a row that Petrakis figured it out as the game progressed, I love his competitive nature, as mentioned after the last game his tenacity/never quit attitude will be key this season.

I also think Hobart is a good team and well coached and will continue to improve.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:24 pm Tommy Mott got no shots off all game (maybe one in last 4 min of game). That was huge as he was completely shut off
Who was marking Mott?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Gobigred wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:10 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:24 pm Tommy Mott got no shots off all game (maybe one in last 4 min of game). That was huge as he was completely shut off
Who was marking Mott?
Who else? Gavin Adler! #77
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:56 pm
Chousnake wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:38 pm Cornell played a great quarter and a half from the start of the second half through the 7-8 minute mark of the 4th quarter. The rest of the game was ugly. The first quarter was, as others pointed out, a disaster. The 5 goal run given up in the 4th quarter was not pretty either. I was watching from home and couldn't tell whether the shots were ripped or not. But I don't know if Ierlan had a save in the 4th quarter and it looked like he was not seeing the ball at all during that run.

I agree. Hope Long and Lombardi are back Saturday, BUT again, good or great teams have to have depth, and this team seems to have that. Coach Buscek, has done a masterful job moving parts around (like with Coyle tonight).
No excuses, from this Big Red fan, as if Long and Lombardi can't go Saturday, I expect the guys who fill in will do so with great success, and keep this Big Red train rolling.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Buczek, Buczek, Buczek!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:43 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Buczek, Buczek, Buczek!
Come on. I was pretty close this time. LOL
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

The Massey ratings have Cornell beating Ohio State 13-12. I'm not a fan of score predictions but hope the game will be close. Weather prediction: at sunrise, 16 degrees warming to 37 degrees in the afternoon with a 30% chance of precipitation and an 8 mph wind from the SE. Sounds like temperature around the mid 20s by noon gametime. The colder the better! Hopefully the team is working on clears, shooting accuracy and playing against a zone defense. This is a winnable game for the Big Red. I doubt Mike Long will play, but Piatelli-Kirst-Coyle seems to work well. I do like Spencer Wirtheim - hopefully he can contribute. He had an assist and only 1 turnover against Hobart. He attracts defensive attention which helps the other guys - an intangible. He was the 2019 All CNY Lacrosse Player of the Year, so he has an upside with more playing time.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ohio State is not out of reach. Their first two games were against regional programs (Detroit Mercy, Cleveland State). They had a signature win against UNC, and a win against Harvard that Cornell could likely match (17-12).

Long and Laccardi would certainly help to have on the roster. The Red have a home field advantage. Ohio State will be better rested. If Cornell plays its best, anything can happen.
Last edited by faircornell on Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:45 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:43 pm

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Buczek, Buczek, Buczek!
Come on. I was pretty close this time. LOL
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
:lol:
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:02 am
faircornell wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:19 pm Ref race, etc, my only addition is that in my loose association with #10, I had no indication that he was racist in any way. I do know that he had friends who were people of color. Also, the Cornell football team (on which he was highly respected) was quite diverse, and it'd have been tough to be any type of racist and get along there. What might have been uttered in the heat of battle is another story, and one would need to look back to those times in full context to judge much of anything. Sewanhaka was quite a melting pot as best I can tell, and I'd not be surprised if all types of ethnic "slurs" could have been in the most heated vocabulary of some, likely some aimed at those of Irish heritage as well.

Also, it's fair to note that Richie Moran was always encouraging in finding under represented minorities to play lacrosse at Cornell, and has many friends of all backgrounds and ethnicities from Cornell Athletics. He'd not tolerate racist behavior.
Well said; I regret any suggestion otherwise and I apologize for the offense given.

And you're exactly right about what most athletes who've played on diverse teams feel about their fellow players, and by extension on issues of race. At least that's been my experience and I'd not have expected differently at Cornell.
No offense taken, and certainly no need to apologize. Thanks!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:43 am Ohio State is not out of reach. Their first two games were against regional programs (Detroit Mercy, Cleveland State). They had a signature win against UNC, and a win against Harvard that Cornell could likely match (17-12).

Long and Laccardi would certainly help to have on the roster. The Red have a home field advantage. Ohio State will be better rested. If Cornell plays its best, anything can happen.
Please beat the stuffing out of OSU. You’ll see two guys you’ve seen from Hobart before in Jason Knox (don’t lose track of him off ball he’s lethal) and Drew Blanchard.

Hate we didn’t play as well as we could and, of course the loss, but now it’s time to root for our neighbors to the south on the lesser lake (Seneca > Cayuga, still need to get a shot in).
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:49 am
faircornell wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:43 am Ohio State is not out of reach. Their first two games were against regional programs (Detroit Mercy, Cleveland State). They had a signature win against UNC, and a win against Harvard that Cornell could likely match (17-12).

Please beat the stuffing out of OSU. You’ll see two guys you’ve seen from Hobart before in Jason Knox (don’t lose track of him off ball he’s lethal) and Drew Blanchard.

Hate we didn’t play as well as we could and, of course the loss, but now it’s time to root for our neighbors to the south on the lesser lake (Seneca > Cayuga, still need to get a shot in).
FFG,
Don't know about beating the stuffing out of a great team like OSU, but you know that ANY team that comes to the Kopf will have their hands full with this Cornell team. Like most Cornell teams, this team is gritty and determined as has been shown by guys going down and others stepping up. If Adler marks Myers, that will be a fascinating matchup to watch all game.
Your Statesmen played tough right to the end, and your team will be a force in the NEC. Good luck the rest of the Season, and maybe with a little luck, we will see you in May.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”