All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
MDlaxfan76

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:58 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:39 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:32 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:30 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:29 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:22 pm
jhu72 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:00 pm The Slava class cruisers, which are the ships which concern the western allies are not nuclear powered. Gas turbine powered. Only three exist. All three are currently in the MED. These are meant to take on the 3 allied aircraft carriers in the MED.
Based on USNI, 2 of the cruisers are in the Med / 1 in the Black Sea.

Russia also has diesel-elec subs. All 5 of the Black Sea subs are diesel-elec.
Very few of their surface ships are nuclear powered. Good to hear one Slava cruiser is now trapped in the Black Sea. Less useful there.
It's not trapped. That's it's home port. It's the flagship of the Black Sea Fleet.
I thought Turkey would not let it back out.
The war is in the Black Sea (for now).

Ships home ported in the Black Sea can come & go.

Other ships may leave but may not be able to get back in.

https://www.dw.com/en/what-is-the-montr ... a-60948124

The intent of the Montreux convention is to restrict warships from non-Black Sea nations from entering the Black Sea.
... seems like it has enough loopholes, Russian can move in and out at will.
mmm, maybe, maybe not.
Probably up to Erdogan whether he wants the confrontation or not.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Interesting developments today with Russia and China.

DDAA5956-747A-4E81-8CE5-F5983B4AC2FA.jpeg
DDAA5956-747A-4E81-8CE5-F5983B4AC2FA.jpeg (139.39 KiB) Viewed 867 times
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

The deal was cut back in 2014, with an updated press release this past February 4 about a planned, unbuilt new pipeline.

https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2298 ... n-meets-xi

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/mark ... -spotlight

For now, Russia and China have a limited distribution capability that can't be increased a whole lot overnight, but at least somewhat. Which will mean less Chinese purchases needed elsewhere (Russia will need to drop their pants on prices) and that'll ease pressures on others.

We haven't yet targeted sanctions specifically at the energy industry. That's on purpose, given the repercussions of not enabling energy suppliers to adjust, which is happening.

Meanwhile, Russia and China have a workaround from SWIFT, so they can continue payments for the time being.

But if and when we decide to constrict it all the way, the sanctions will be on whoever is facilitating the flow of the energy including Chinese banks.

Hopefully we won't need to do that, but it's certainly a possibility.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:56 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:18 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:53 pm Is the implication of this reporting, which appears to have preceded Turkey's decision, that some of these ships were on their way to support the invasion but will now face blockage by Turkey?
It was to answer the question about how the cruisers refuel. According to this => https://news.usni.org/2022/01/26/140-ru ... ons-simmer
...the Pac Fleet group brought an oiler with them.

I think there was time for all the Amphib ships from other regional Fleets to get into the Black Sea, which is not yet closed.
I don't know if any additional missile ships were headed for the Black Sea. 2 cruisers are still in the Med (1 from North Sea, 1 from PAC Flt) to shadow the NATO carrier groups.
Looking back on earlier reports, I think the Russians got in everything from the other fleets that was bound for the Black Sea, & they intended to leave 2 cruisers with an oiler in the Med.

I'm not sure of the impact of closing the entrance to the Black Sea. It looks like Russia got in everything they are capable of sending & NATO ships are now blocked out.
Was it ever in the cards for NATO to deploy ships in the Black Sea at this time? Reports are that all NATO ships departed Black Sea last month. No NATO naval bases there, right? Your thoughts?

Truman and deGaulle Battle Groups currently deployed in the Eastern Med along with Cavour (Italy) Battle Group.

Also wonder what Erdogan is up to playing some kind of hardball here on some level.
I don't think there were any NATO plans to enter the Black Sea (except for Romanian, Bulgarian & Turkish ships.)
I doubt they' want to be bottled up in such close range to Russia air, missiles, & quiet Black Sea fleet Kilo subs.
The NATO standing force is in the E Med. The NATO Flag is aboard the Truman.
I think the Cavour may be (quietly) carrying their F-35B's.
https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2022/0 ... ng/362230/
https://eurasiantimes.com/italy-eyes-in ... -training/
Italy has used their F-35A's in the NATO Baltic air policing mission.
Erdogan will want to be a player if he can,
Last edited by old salt on Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
runrussellrun

Re: Ukraine is Putting Up One Heck of a Fight

Post by runrussellrun »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:21 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:21 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:16 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:07 am

:D Go Big Green

Zelenskiy

added that i at the end instead of 2 y's

Still two e's... ;)
apparently....your job as the queen spelling bee hasn't resonated with everyone. NEW POST, with purposely misspelled.... ;)

go gett em, maryland lacrosse fanatic :roll:
:roll:
Salty and I had a respectful and a bit humorous discussion of the spelling after someone else had scolded him for misspelling while he'd been taking a bit of a swing at Zelensky.

I pointed out where salty wasn't understanding his error. Making clear I didn't think it was intentional.

He made clear he hadn't meant it disrespectfully.

This particular spelling in an article was provided by Salty. Another version of the spelling altogether.

None of this matters, unless someone does it on purpose, disrespectfully, which he hadn't.

And yet, you want to chime in and take a personal shot at me?

Come on, find something more interesting.
but....you ARE interesting. Way more than I.

So, ,you are NOT concerned with people miss spelling Zelensky's name? Then, why chime in, at all, in the first place and post about it?

Understand?

Yes.....we guess we missed the humor ;)
Talk of poster’s misspellings by the king of misspelling who thinks he funny when he does it. :roll:
I love the Cranberries "zombie" and the lyrics Dolores wrote : vous tete, que pasa
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:28 pm The deal was cut back in 2014, with an updated press release this past February 4 about a planned, unbuilt new pipeline.

https://www.argusmedia.com/en/news/2298 ... n-meets-xi

https://www.spglobal.com/platts/en/mark ... -spotlight

For now, Russia and China have a limited distribution capability that can't be increased a whole lot overnight, but at least somewhat. Which will mean less Chinese purchases needed elsewhere (Russia will need to drop their pants on prices) and that'll ease pressures on others.

We haven't yet targeted sanctions specifically at the energy industry. That's on purpose, given the repercussions of not enabling energy suppliers to adjust, which is happening.

Meanwhile, Russia and China have a workaround from SWIFT, so they can continue payments for the time being.

But if and when we decide to constrict it all the way, the sanctions will be on whoever is facilitating the flow of the energy including Chinese banks.

Hopefully we won't need to do that, but it's certainly a possibility.
China doesn’t want any sanctions blow back.
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:12 pm Interesting developments today with Russia and China.

DDAA5956-747A-4E81-8CE5-F5983B4AC2FA.jpeg
It's as if it were planned.

What form of government does China half? How about Russia, do they have issues with racist voter ID's....or are they not commies as well?

Oh, right....they just changed the names of a few things. Big deal.....the fact that Russia doesn't have a lacrosse program, sayz it all
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

No, You’re Not Imagining It: Russia’s Army Is Inept

They're sending in the cannon fodder in the first wave. Things can get much worse, but so far, the Russians SUCK at this...
After four days of fighting, the Russian military is bogged down in Ukraine. In part this is due to the valiant resistance of Ukraine’s army and civilian defense forces. But it’s also due to the fact that the Russian army just isn’t very good.

News reports, tweets, videos, and emails from the battlefields show Russia’s armored vehicles abandoned for lack of fuel, its soldiers foraging for food, its transport planes shot out of the sky, its various military elements—tanks, infantry, aircraft—unable to coordinate their aims.

Michael Kofman, a military analyst at CNA, an Arlington, Virginia–based think tank, who has been following the battle closely, tweeted late Sunday afternoon, “It’s taken me a while to figure out what [the Russian military is] trying to do, because it looks so ridiculous and incompetent.” B.A. Friedman, a military historian and tactician, went further: “This isn’t a good army executing a bad plan. It isn’t a good army executing outdated or out-of-context tactics. It’s a bad army!”
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:37 pm
I don't think there were any NATO plans to enter the Black Sea (except for Romanian, Bulgarian & Turkish ships.)
I doubt they' want to be bottled up in such close range to Russia air, missiles, & quiet Black Sea fleet Kilo subs.
The Cavour is (quietly) carrying their F-35's.
[/quote]

Did 27 years of fjord ops bottled up, in close range of Soviet (Russian) air/missiles and quiet(?) Kilo subs so I think it can be done. Their problem would be if we are in their WEZ, they are in our WEZ. And our sh*t works. Been waiting along time to see Aegis in full auto and now with SM-6. (And our WEZ for them starts in the EMed; theirs does not and their problem remains after 50+ years in targeting.)
old salt

Post by old salt »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:04 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:37 pm I don't think there were any NATO plans to enter the Black Sea (except for Romanian, Bulgarian & Turkish ships.)
Did 27 years of fjord ops bottled up, in close range of Soviet (Russian) air/missiles and quiet(?) Kilo subs so I think it can be done. Their problem would be if we are in their WEZ, they are in our WEZ. And our sh*t works. Been waiting along time to see Aegis in full auto and now with SM-6. (And our WEZ for them starts in the EMed; theirs does not and their problem remains after 50+ years in targeting.)
Do you really want to find out ? ;)

Their Kilos are quiet, compared to their nucs in noisy shallow waters.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... submarines.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:33 pm Russian mercenaries ordered to kill Ukraine’s president
More than 400 Russian mercenaries are operating in Kyiv with orders from the Kremlin to assassinate President Zelensky and his government and prepare the ground for Moscow to take control, The Times has learnt.

The Wagner Group, a private militia run by one of President Putin’s closest allies and operating as an arm-length branch of the state, flew in mercenaries from Africa five weeks ago on a mission to decapitate Zelensky’s government in return for a handsome financial bonus.

Information about their mission reached the Ukrainian government on Saturday morning and hours later Kyiv declared a 36-hour “hard” curfew to sweep the city for Russian saboteurs, warning civilians that they would be seen as Kremlin agents and risked being “liquidated” if they stepped outside.
But, now, those 400 can't be paid, lest they expose some online hole? Makes sense, the mission can't happen now.

Are they Russian Mercenaries, or African ? It's confusing.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:13 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:37 pm I don't think there were any NATO plans to enter the Black Sea (except for Romanian, Bulgarian & Turkish ships.)

Yes and yes. However, I trust your opinion more than navalnews. And it’s my job (N9I) to know the difference. And if I knew how to insert a smilie I would insert the one in sunglasses.
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:37 pm
Kismet wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:56 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:18 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:04 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:53 pm Is the implication of this reporting, which appears to have preceded Turkey's decision, that some of these ships were on their way to support the invasion but will now face blockage by Turkey?
It was to answer the question about how the cruisers refuel. According to this => https://news.usni.org/2022/01/26/140-ru ... ons-simmer
...the Pac Fleet group brought an oiler with them.

I think there was time for all the Amphib ships from other regional Fleets to get into the Black Sea, which is not yet closed.
I don't know if any additional missile ships were headed for the Black Sea. 2 cruisers are still in the Med (1 from North Sea, 1 from PAC Flt) to shadow the NATO carrier groups.
Looking back on earlier reports, I think the Russians got in everything from the other fleets that was bound for the Black Sea, & they intended to leave 2 cruisers with an oiler in the Med.

I'm not sure of the impact of closing the entrance to the Black Sea. It looks like Russia got in everything they are capable of sending & NATO ships are now blocked out.
Was it ever in the cards for NATO to deploy ships in the Black Sea at this time? Reports are that all NATO ships departed Black Sea last month. No NATO naval bases there, right? Your thoughts?

Truman and deGaulle Battle Groups currently deployed in the Eastern Med along with Cavour (Italy) Battle Group.

Also wonder what Erdogan is up to playing some kind of hardball here on some level.
I think the Cavour may be (quietly) carrying their F-35B's.
https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2022/0 ... ng/362230/
https://eurasiantimes.com/italy-eyes-in ... -training/
Italy has used their F-35A's in the NATO Baltic air policing mission.
https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/20 ... -conflict/
NATO and the U.S. cannot protect Ukraine from the sea

Russia can dominate the North of Black Sea if awaited conflict blows out with Ukraine

Even if NATO decides to intervene in the Black Sea, it will face a hurdle: The Montreux Convention, which governs the transit regime through the Straits, limits the maximum tonnage of ships to 40.000 tons, which equates to 3-4 destroyers and 1-2 frigates. Surface assets are unlikely to penetrate the Russian Anti Access / Area Denial (A2/AD) zone in the Black Sea, which is particularly empowered by BAL/Bastion missile batteries on Russia’s Black Sea shore and improved Kilo-class submarines underwater.

...the Montreux Convention prohibits non-riparian states from deploying submarines in the Black Sea. Turkey is NATO’s only submarine force in the Black Sea, but it would be reluctant to engage in an underwater battle with Russia in the meantime.

NATO is not intended to intervene in aggression at the time, but even if it changes its stance, the Black Sea would be a no-go zone for NATO assets.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:27 pm

Yes and yes. However, I trust your opinion more than navalnews. And it’s my job (N9I) to know the difference. And if I knew how to insert a smilie I would insert the one in sunglasses.
I thought Dip&Dunk might refer to dipping sonar. Target noise level does not matter. :mrgreen:

I'd prefer to OPEVAL the AEGIS in full auto when the shooter & return fire target is a DDG (an old one) rather than a Carrier Strike Group.
...I watched it work pretty well from the air, against a Vandal target at Wallops. ;)
old salt

Post by old salt »

I wonder who will be the designated survivor tomorrow night.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

African refugees trying to flee Ukraine report racism at border crossings
A number of African refugees fleeing Ukraine have reported being harassed as people were “struggling to get onto buses” to escape the conflict.

https://www.news.com.au/world/europe/af ... 9b896142c3

Nigeria, South Africa and other African governments scrambled on Monday to help their citizens escape the Russian invasion in Ukraine after reports of racist and unfair treatment of Africans at border crossings.

Africans in Ukraine, many of them students, are among hundreds of thousands of people trying to flee into Poland and other neighbours.

African Union leaders voiced concern at the reports of mistreatment of Africans caught up in the Ukraine conflict and said such conduct would be “shockingly racist”.

According to 26-year-old medical student Korrine Sky, who has been active on Twitter encouraging donations for refugees, black people are “struggling to get onto buses”.

Ms Sky said she just arrived in Lviv after escaping the now deteriorating situation in central Ukraine.

“Some of the locals are ‘prioritising’ Ukrainians and black people are struggling to get onto buses, facing hostility or being denied at the border,” she told The Independent.

“As a community we are generally fearful of armed police and being frequently stopped by people with guns is terrifying. I think I’m running on adrenaline at the moment; I’m assisting people while on the road so I need to remain calm so I can support others.”

The current chair of the African Union, Senegalese President Macky Sall, and African Union Commission head Moussa Faki Mahamat said they were “particularly disturbed by reports that African citizens on the Ukrainian side of the border are being refused the right to cross the border to safety”.

“Reports that Africans are singled out for unacceptable dissimilar treatment would be shockingly racist and in breach international law,” they said in a statement.

All countries should “respect international law and show the same empathy and support to all people fleeing war notwithstanding their racial identity”, the added.

Nigeria’s Foreign Minister Godfrey Onyeama said the evacuation of the country’s nationals would start on Wednesday.

Earlier, presidential adviser Garba Shehu had urged Ukrainian border officials to treat Nigerian citizens equally after reports they had been stopped from boarding buses and trains to the border.

Shehu referenced a video on social media showing a Nigerian mother with a young baby being physically forced to give up her seat.

There had been also reports of Polish officials refusing Nigerian citizens entry into Poland from Ukraine, he added.

“All who flee a conflict situation have the same right to safe passage under UN Convention and the colour of their passport or their skin should make no difference,” said Shehu.

South African foreign ministry spokesman Clayson Monyela meanwhile tweeted that a group of his country’s nationals, mainly students, was stuck at the Ukrainian-Polish border.

The South African ambassador to Warsaw was at the site trying to get them through, he added. On Sunday, Monyela said Africans were being “treated badly” at the Polish-Ukraine border.

“Everybody receives equal treatment. I can assure you that I have reports that already some Nigerian nationals have crossed the border into Poland,” she told local media.

Nigerians could stay for 15 days, and even invalid documents were being accepted to cross the border and Covid-19 restrictions were lifted, she said.

Some Nigerians who made it across the borders described having been made to wait as officials gave priority to Ukrainian women and children.

“One of the officers came and told us it’s harder for us foreigners because they have to get in touch with our government in different countries,” Stephanie Agekameh, a medical student now in Poland, said by text message.

Speaking from Korczowa in Poland, Nigerian managerial sciences student Agantem Moshe, said Ukrainian police had pushed Africans out of the way to make way for women and children.

“From the Polish side it was smooth, they were professionals. In Ukraine, they kept us outside in the cold,” he said.

The UN said that more than half a million refugees from Ukraine had so far crossed into neighbouring countries.

Nigeria’s embassy in Bucharest said it had received 130 Nigerians from Ukraine, with more being processed having reached Warsaw or Budapest.

Ghana’s government said it would meet parents of students stuck in Ukraine on Tuesday and sent embassy officials to border points to help.

DR Congo Foreign Minister Christophe Lutundula said on Twitter he would meet with the Polish ambassador to help with the passage across the border of about 200 Congolese, mostly students.

Ivory Coast, which according to state media has 500 nationals in Ukraine, said it was also making arrangements for their evacuation.

Kenya’s foreign affairs ministry said last week around 200 Kenyans were safe and accounted for but that some were stuck at the Polish border because of visa restrictions.

Nigerian accountant Lukmon Busari said his son, a fourth-year medical student, was already out after waiting for a day on the Polish border.

Black Push Back: African Students Stranded on the Polish/Ukraine Border in Medyka

https://www.gaynrd.com/blacks-pushed-ba ... in-medyka/

Government officials in Nigeria and South Africa are expressing concern that their citizens are being stopped from leaving war-torn Ukraine. At Lviv train station, in western Ukraine, FRANCE 24 met several African students who say they were pushed back at the Medyka border crossing with Poland.

[Editors Note: as a descendant of Polish Nationals I can confirm that Eastern European racism, particularly in Poland and Ukraine are very real and exacerbated by immigration/migration issues and the current Ukraine war crisis with Russia likely to get worse with the arrival of more refugees.]

FRANCE 24:

African governments on Monday were scrambling to help their nationals escape the Russian invasion in Ukraine as reports emerged of racist and unfair treatment of their citizens at the border with Poland.

The reports, denied by both Polish and Ukrainian officials, have cast a pall on the massive evacuation effort that has already seen half a million civilians cross into the European Union.

While some Africans have been able to leave Ukraine, FRANCE 24 spoke to several students on Sunday at Lviv train station in western Ukraine who said they were turned back by Ukrainian border guards while attempting to cross into Poland.

“They stopped us at the border and told us that Blacks were not allowed. But we could see White people going through,” said Moustapha Bagui Sylla, a student from Guinea. He said he fled his university residence in Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city, as soon as the bombing began.

Like thousands of Ukrainian civilians scrambling for the border, the young Guinean said he walked for hours in freezing temperatures heading for the Polish frontier village of Medyka – only to be ordered to turn back.

Another student from Nigeria described similar scenes at the border crossing. He said his group, which included women, was shut out of the border post even as White people were let through.

“They won’t let Africans in. Blacks without European passports cannot cross the border (…). They’re pushing us back just because we’re Black!” said the Nigerian student, who gave only his first name, Michael. “We’re all human,” he added. “They should not discriminate against us because of the colour of our skin.”

According to Bagui Sylla, the Ukrainian border guards said they were merely following instructions from their Polish counterparts – a claim denied by officials in Warsaw.

Anna Michalska, a spokesperson for the Polish border guards, said she had spent “the past two days denying such allegations”.

“I don’t know what is happening on the Ukrainian side of the border, but we let everyone in regardless of nationality,” she told FRANCE 24.

In a later communiqué, Polish officials confirmed that no visas were required to cross the border and that identity cards and passports would be accepted, even when expired.

A spokesperson for the Ukrainian border guards also denied reports of discriminatory practices.

Civilians fleeing the war face increasingly dire conditions at the Medyka border crossing, as FRANCE 24 has previously documented. According to a report by the European Commission, the crossing can now take up to 70 hours.

For African students lured to Ukraine by the prospect of jobs and university degrees, being treated like economic migrants – rather than refugees displaced by war – is a devastating blow.

Nigeria’s government has advised its citizens leaving Ukraine to head for Hungary or Romania, instead of Poland. That is precisely what the students stranded at Lviv station said they planned to do.

Ukraine claims it is suffering humanitarian crisis but does nothing to the mistreatment of black refugees.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DMac

Post by DMac »

old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:37 pm

I thought Dip&Dunk might refer to dipping sonar. Target noise level does not matter. :mrgreen:

I'd prefer to OPEVAL the AEGIS in full auto when the shooter & return fire target is a DDG (an old one) rather than a Carrier Strike Group.
...I watched it work pretty well from the air, against a Vandal target at Wallops. ;)
Damn, pretty impressive stuff, fellas.
I fingerprinted and recorded a Stoop Tray in the Baltic, does that count for anything? 8-)
old salt

Post by old salt »

DMac wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:04 am
old salt wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:37 pm

Damn, pretty impressive stuff, fellas.
I fingerprinted and recorded a Stoop Tray in the Baltic, does that count for anything? 8-)
Can ya get a bearing on that ? Launch the stoofs, put the dippers on alert 5...seems like old times doesn't it, shipmate ?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Sure can sir, no range though, you're on your own with that.
Get your dogs in the air and follow the scent. ;)

Return to “POLITICS”