Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:23 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:14 pm 18 played, 22 watched from the sidelines, 13 didn’t travel. Hop playing with fire with the non travel list. Historically posters here criticized Petro for his short list of players that saw time but he always managed to make sure players travelled. Leaving guys in Baltimore when the team puts up that stinker down at UNC is a recipe for a fractured locker room.
Counterpoint: no it isn't

BTW, there's 51 on the roster, so if 40 traveled then only 11 didn't

Also, 23 guys got in the game today. Not 18.

Looking at the sideline, those who didn't travel were the guys who are hurt and then a handful of freshmen who weren't going to play regardless. It's really nothing out of the ordinary
It is out of the ordinary for Hopkins lacrosse to leave players behind when on the road and hearing that it’s budget related doesn’t really sit well.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:55 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:23 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:14 pm 18 played, 22 watched from the sidelines, 13 didn’t travel. Hop playing with fire with the non travel list. Historically posters here criticized Petro for his short list of players that saw time but he always managed to make sure players travelled. Leaving guys in Baltimore when the team puts up that stinker down at UNC is a recipe for a fractured locker room.
Counterpoint: no it isn't

BTW, there's 51 on the roster, so if 40 traveled then only 11 didn't

Also, 23 guys got in the game today. Not 18.

Looking at the sideline, those who didn't travel were the guys who are hurt and then a handful of freshmen who weren't going to play regardless. It's really nothing out of the ordinary
It is out of the ordinary for Hopkins lacrosse to leave players behind when on the road and hearing that it’s budget related doesn’t really sit well.
Ok but the "fractured locker room" speculation is nonsense
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:53 pm Prouty actually got the better of LaSalla in 2019 but that was obviously under the old rules and I'd expect a different result next week. Will help to have Narewski back. Not sure why he dressed if he wasn't an option.

Not too concerned about faceoffs longterm. UNC has a very good tandem, both of whom are super athletic.

We had no answer for Gray. All three of our poles covered him at one point but nothing was working. Heels were doing a very good job getting him matched up with shorties. He also had points in transition and on the EMO. Even if you lock him down 6v6 he'll find ways to score. He's a superstar. And we don't have a player like that who can take over a game when things aren't clicking. Wasn't super impressed by anyone else on UNC to be honest. We got beat by one superb player, a faceoff deficit, and truly abysmal field conditions. Clears, TOs, and non-faceoff GBs were even.
I think you are overexaggerating how bad the field conditions were. Considering it has rained quite a bit over the last few days in Chapel Hill and a women's game was played on it immediately prior, I thought the field looked quite good. There's always going to be some slipping and sliding on any soggy natural grass surface. It hurts both teams equally.
molo

Post by molo »

From what I saw, both teams were playing on the same field. Second midfield didn’t get in much.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta agree with that exaggerated part, field was virtually a non-issue.
A little wet from rain but still pretty good all in all. Abysmal is really
reducing the definition of the word.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Full credit to the UNC D today. I can't remember when I've watch a JHU team shoot so poorly. Outside of Epstein, DeSimone and Angelus it was bad. Even when they got their hands free they were way off the mark. UVA next. Practice, practice, practice.....
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:35 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:25 pm The defense and rope unit were on the field the entirety of the 3rd quarter. They were gassed from being out there and it was made all the more difficult by running around on the sloppy wet field trying to keep their footing.

You can complain about being slow to sub and Martin's one failed clear when he stopped moving his feet sure wasn't a bright spot but its all understandable. They got worn down.

I'm still at a point where I think we shouldn't have much in terms of expectations for this team. They are playing well at times but are still very much a work in progress. Clearing today looked much more heads up and smart at the very least. Defensively we were a bit of a mess but how much of that was exacerbated by the field conditions. The offense for most of the day looked pretty bad and completely unsure of how to attack the UNC zone that was presented.

Learn from it and move on to next week. As a fan prepare yourself mentally for a drubbing from UVA. Would be nice to be competitive, would be astounding to win, but I'm not expecting good things next weekend.
There is no way this Hopkins team should prepare for a drubbing from Virginia.

Today’s game against North Carolina was winnable.

If the Blue Jays play up to their potential, then they can play with anyone.

They have the pieces … now they have to put it all together.

DocBarrister
Luv ya doc, but disagree. Carolina's D was much better than ours. With the exception of a great game by Kirson, they beat us in every other facet of the game. Moreover, they took 51 shots to our 35, and that included a handful during garbage time. At one point, they not only had doubled the point total, but had doubled the shot total. And don't forget, several of our shots were taken as the shot clock was counting down so they were from long distance, and an easy save for UNC. We made many of the better shots, just didn't have enuf of them due to Carolina's D.

I know the faithful love this gauntlet of a schedule, but guys get warn down, particularly at the X. If we put a cupcake on the docket in Feb or early March, teh starters could get a rest and the young guys could get some reps.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

oldbartman wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:40 pm Full credit to the UNC D today. I can't remember when I've watch a JHU team shoot so poorly. Outside of Epstein, DeSimone and Angelus it was bad. Even when they got their hands free they were way off the mark. UVA next. Practice, practice, practice.....
Game conditions had something to do with that. Wasn't it raining all day? Sticks were bagged. Hop shot 28.5%. UNC shot 29%. That wasn't the difference in the game.

That's also quite the caveat. "Outside of three different guys who shot pretty well, it was bad." The issue was Degnon and Grimes were a combined 2/13. It's no surprise both of Degnon's goals came from in close. Those are two long range bombers and it's tough to shoot from range when it's wet. UNC wasn't making many long range shots either. I counted one. They had a good number of shots sail over the cage as well. But when you have Gray it doesn't really matter.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:34 pm
oldbartman wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:40 pm Full credit to the UNC D today. I can't remember when I've watch a JHU team shoot so poorly. Outside of Epstein, DeSimone and Angelus it was bad. Even when they got their hands free they were way off the mark. UVA next. Practice, practice, practice.....
Game conditions had something to do with that. Wasn't it raining all day? Sticks were bagged. Hop shot 28.5%. UNC shot 29%. That wasn't the difference in the game.

That's also quite the caveat. "Outside of three different guys who shot pretty well, it was bad." The issue was Degnon and Grimes were a combined 2/13. It's no surprise both of Degnon's goals came from in close. Those are two long range bombers and it's tough to shoot from range when it's wet. UNC wasn't making many long range shots either. I counted one. They had a good number of shots sail over the cage as well. But when you have Gray it doesn't really matter.
I don’t think it’s about shooting. It’s about getting shots. We don’t have any consistent creators - guys that can regularly draw slides, make seeing eye skips, etc. - and transition goals are rare. And the scheme doesn’t produce a lot of good looks yet either. So everything is hard for us. Hard to blame shooters when they don’t really have easy looks.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Jacksonville defeated Air Force!

Yep, this is what Hopkins fans and alumni have been reduced to … rooting for Jacksonville.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Good
-Kirson played hard

Down
-this was not a unc team of the sankey bitter era that could just humiliate you. Yes Gray is an elite player, but this was not a team I felt like really had elite talent end to end.
-PM, Grant jr, Jameson knew what they were working with coming in, had 2 offseasons to add/subtract personnel and while there's been progress, we also see a lot of what we've watched for the last decade plus on the mental aspects of the game and at the offensive end.
-UNC let up 20 goals a week ago, and our offense really really struggled from the outset. The sophomores have regressed although I understand grimes and mcdermott are coming back from injuries. There were mental mistakes everywhere today from offsides calls, to epsteins penalty, to failed clears in transition, to Degnon 3-4 times on the same play trying to one hand a ground ball with his stick and eventually losing the possession.
-that epstein penalty was reminiscent of stunts marr and williams used to pull with cheap fouls and part of why this team has struggled for so long
-the faceoffs were an issue today not just with dunn but how the defense reacted in transition.
-keough and Angelus like zinn baskin, concannon and so many others we've had on the first line over recent years, do not make enough plays game to game to justify their first unit playing time.
-the third attack spot continues to be a black hole
-for a very very long time the criticism of the last regime began with its old school tough love treatment of refs and players. Last year the excuse was that the administrations absurd corona protocols handcuffed the team. That's not the case this year and we're also fielding a veteran team for the most part. I will be very interested to see now that we're 1/3 of the way in if they continue to stick with some of these offensive lineups and if the turnovers do not start to cost guys playing time.

-Will be sunny and high 50s/60s this week in virginia. Should be a strong crowd next week. With the big ten only schedule last year, shortened 2020 season it feels like it's been a long time since we've seen our guys play in something other than 40s and overcast environments.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

No bueno
Does show you how stats can be misleading. If you had told me before the game Kirson would have 20 saves and Hopkins was reportedly within shouting distance of Carolina in TOs and GB's I would have said the game would be close. Not so fast as Lee Corso would say. That doesn't account for the face-offs and overall poor team defense. I get it that Chris Gray is one of the top players in the game - maybe he is the best - but there is no reason for multiple goals from the same spot with no one in sight. Given that any goalie's weakest spot has to be offhand - allowing uncontested 8-10 yarders from Kirson's right side gives them the full view of that side of the cage and someone of Gray's caliber is not going to miss. You also can't allow possibly the most dangerous attackman in the country to take 16 shots.
Offense was not any better. When Carolina switched to some zone it really flummoxed Hopkins and if you are athletic enough you can push around the smaller Jays, If all you are going to get from Grimes, Peshko, and Degnon is 2 cut to the goal scores from Degnon you are in trouble. Back-up middies are not going to bail you out every game. There certainly appeared to be a strategy of slow the game down to its max effect - that's a tough road to sell.

Peshko demoted or really banged up? - our future AA was in on EMO and a couple runs in the second half but Evans Raposo and McDermott were the seconds for a while.

It strikes me that the believed team strength of bigger players with capable outside shots has left the building. Teams have adjusted and Hopkins is struggling - smaller players are really having difficulty winning thier match-ups. and finding the open shooter.

I still wonder how Hopkins won more of the 50-50 ground balls as the Carolina face-off men had 11 gbs to Hopkins 5 as the eye test showed that every time there was a scrum it came up blue jersey not black.

Next week would appear to be really daunting with the size of the Hoovillians on defense.
nclaxin

Post by nclaxin »

Is Peshko injured or demoted? Watched the entire game and barely saw him on the field. A far cry from last years "explosion" of time towards the end of the season.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:23 pm -The sophomores have regressed although I understand grimes and mcdermott are coming back from injuries.
-keough and Angelus like zinn baskin, concannon and so many others we've had on the first line over recent years, do not make enough plays game to game to justify their first unit playing time.
These two scintillating bullet points would appear to be at odds with eachother. The first line middies don't deserve their playing time, but the sophomores have also apparently regressed...so who exactly do you want playing on the first line instead? Jimmy McGillicuddy? There is no one else. Maher was supposed to pitch in there but he got hurt. Phillips was purportedly the second coming of Joel Tinney according to flalax's sources so maybe they give him a shot at some point but if that were really the case we'd have seen him by now. I thought Reen looked good in the fall scrimmages but I guess the staff doesn't think he's ready for primetime.

Angelus and Keogh have been fine, if unspectacular. They are each on pace for 30+ point seasons out of the midfield. Angelus had 3 pts yesterday and was not the reason we lost. Right now he's the only midfielder who can consistently get by his man and draw slides. That's who you want to bench? Having flashbacks to 10 months ago when you wanted to bench Cole Williams, our leading scorer at the time. Maybe sit this one out.

There is no 'u' in Keogh's name, you've been getting this wrong for five years.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

nyjay wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:21 pm . We don’t have any consistent creators - guys that can regularly draw slides, make seeing eye skips, etc. - and transition goals are rare. And the scheme doesn’t produce a lot of good looks yet either. So everything is hard for us.
There is an old saying. It aint the Xs and Os it is the Jimmy and Joes.

You are correct on your point.

Hopkins offense just doesn't have enough speed/athelectism on offense to make a defense uncomfortable. They just don't at this point. This makes the scheme look not nearly as good as it does. You can two man game all you want but if the defense isn't put out of normal positions it isn't going to be very effective.It is what it is at this point. Some younger players will get better and the scheme will get better but right now the offense is stagnant (or as you put it "everything is hard for us").

The offense is averaging under 12 goals a game (this weekend's stats aren't updated). The defense will be giving up a little less than 12 goals a game after this week. Gotta just try to cover up the weak spots and get better.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:24 am
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:23 pm -The sophomores have regressed although I understand grimes and mcdermott are coming back from injuries.
These two scintillating bullet points would appear to be at odds with eachother. The first line middies don't deserve their playing time, but the sophomores have also apparently regressed...so who exactly do you want playing on the first line instead? Jimmy McGillicuddy? There is no one else. Maher was supposed to pitch in there but he got hurt. Phillips was purportedly the second coming of Joel Tinney according to flalax's sources so maybe they give him a shot at some point but if that were really the case we'd have seen him by now. I thought Reen looked good in the fall scrimmages but I guess the staff doesn't think he's ready for primetime.

Angelus and Keogh have been fine, if unspectacular. They are each on pace for 30+ point seasons out of the midfield. Angelus had 3 pts yesterday and was not the reason we lost. Right now he's the only midfielder who can consistently get by his man and draw slides. That's who you want to bench? Having flashbacks to 10 months ago when you wanted to bench Cole Williams, our leading scorer at the time. Maybe sit this one out.

I’m quite shocked we haven’t seen Phillips or Charboneau yet. I’m a fan of Grimes but until he figures it out let’s see someone else.

Quint describing Epstein as having a strong game suggests he only looked at the point totals. Epstein heated up for a about five minutes and other than that had a subpar game. Turnovers and horrible body language for the 3 time captain.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I did think that the clearing improved from the Loyola game, however, there are definitely issues that still need to be worked out.
The team could definitely have used Narewski yesterday, but at the same time I think it's a mistake to rush him back moving forward.
Kirson was a bright spot.
Without a player who can break down a defense the offense needs to capitalize on EMO and in transition.
I think some of the players coming back from injury were not 100%.
There's definitely room for improvement. While the Jays don't seem competitive with the top teams right now, they could potentially make the playoffs with steady improvement.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:55 am

I’m quite shocked we haven’t seen Phillips or Charboneau yet. I’m a fan of Grimes but until he figures it out let’s see someone else.

Quint describing Epstein as having a strong game suggests he only looked at the point totals. Epstein heated up for a about five minutes and other than that had a subpar game. Turnovers and horrible body language for the 3 time captain.
Grimes had been playing well prior to his brief injury. I'd give him another game or two before we send in the clowns.

"Strong" is a generous term indeed but I'm not going to go after a kid who scored 4 goals on a day when the offense only managed 10 total. And once again he hustled back into the hole to help cut off a transition opportunity for the Heels. I do however wonder about his ball security — it seems like he's good for one detwigging per game where he dodges at a pole and his stick ends up on the ground 5 yards away.

DeSo showed a little bit of pop dodging from X yesterday — it might be time to initiate more from there if the midfield continues to struggle. He can be more aggressive.
lorin

Post by lorin »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:55 am

I have a great idea stop recruiting attackmen and then play them at mid field.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

Lax1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:09 pm I’m at the game in Chapel Hill and just found out what the “We Want More” thing is. 3 guys in front of me stand up and do the chant every goal. Kind of annoying but honestly I like it. And it helps that we’re still beating the Jays :)
Obviously a newbie fan even if favoring the wrong shade of blue.
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”