Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: Navy 2022

Post by gymman1031 »

Predictions for this weekend? Heart says Navy, head says High Point.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:32 pm Predictions for this weekend? Heart says Navy, head says High Point.
I'm with you gymman1031. HP is also not an easy scout, they move the ball much faster than Navy, will slip in and out of zone to mix it up quite seamlessly, and move well off ball...distracting the defense. I think they get a couple extra on us by being more crafty, finding the skip passes for goals after getting our d stuck in a couple rotations.

I still think we are looking for someone to fill that righty attack slot on the wing. #32 and #10 are doing well as distraction inside and on the left side.....just missing something on the RH side. I posted a few weeks ago that that may be a sexy spot for XA...give him over or under possibilities, keeps a pole occupied that would otherwise be an AJ slide as we climb from X, and allows #32 to follow slides and sneak into soft spots.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Well, my head, instead of my heart, was correct on Saturday. Tough loss. High Point is a good team, but too bad Navy couldn't keep up what they had going in the beginning.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:16 am Well, my head, instead of my heart, was correct on Saturday. Tough loss. High Point is a good team, but too bad Navy couldn't keep up what they had going in the beginning.
Agreed, many of the stats just kept teetering and heading south after qtr 1...primarily shooting. Couple that with 10 extra possession via GB’s, not very efficient.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

Two evenly matched teams. HP's the more experienced team. That made a difference in the 2nd half.

Navy's at a disadvantage until the covid 5 yr opponents finally pass through (& spare us the Naps analogy, it's just another yr of HS).

HP played 4 x 5th year players, including their leading scorer.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Disappointing game against High Point ! After watching the game a few times, It seems like HP adjusted after a strong start from the MIDS.
Ball was flying around and MIDS were winning those critical matches and spinning the ball. Then the momentum turned and that was that.

Looks like Coach Amplo has decided to run the First Line Midfielders to a "ride or die" mentality and it showed with physical and mental errors during key moments. 28, 29 and 43 are the horses ! Second Midfield, Looks like a revolving door with six or seven players in the first five games, Make a mistake and get punted, play "OK" and stay another week. Hard to believe that's the case, but it sure looks like it. I don't think 64 played but one shift for 30 seconds last week, Attackman #6 had a run at Mid. Not sure how you can shuffle that many players around without affecting player development.

HP played one SSDM on one our Attackman, Back in the day that was an automatic GO. But, things have changed.

Have to say it, What has happened to our EMO ! OC Ross needs to dig into that bag of tricks. He came to the MIDS as one of the brightest offensive minds in the game. So they say

Finally, HP 32 was the dominant player and the MID didn't have an answer, period ! MIDS had no answer for HP 26 over the top physical midfield play, no slides, late slide and zero body.

Did you see that other team beat Cuse. The MIDS need to step it up. I will say something about that other coach from up north. He always talks about his seniors and give them all an opportunity to play in true player development and turns over team ownership to the seniors. Military Style

Coach Amplo spends a majority of his press time talking about 24 (Zero Minutes to date) and the youth movement. To me, This is truly concerning on many fronts. But, I am looking forward to seeing the young MID play, when the time is right.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:08 pm Disappointing game against High Point ! After watching the game a few times, It seems like HP adjusted after a strong start from the MIDS.
Ball was flying around and MIDS were winning those critical matches and spinning the ball. Then the momentum turned and that was that.

Looks like Coach Amplo has decided to run the First Line Midfielders to a "ride or die" mentality and it showed with physical and mental errors during key moments. 28, 29 and 43 are the horses ! Second Midfield, Looks like a revolving door with six or seven players in the first five games, Make a mistake and get punted, play "OK" and stay another week. Hard to believe that's the case, but it sure looks like it. I don't think 64 played but one shift for 30 seconds last week, Attackman #6 had a run at Mid. Not sure how you can shuffle that many players around without affecting player development.

HP played one SSDM on one our Attackman, Back in the day that was an automatic GO. But, things have changed.

Have to say it, What has happened to our EMO ! OC Ross needs to dig into that bag of tricks. He came to the MIDS as one of the brightest offensive minds in the game. So they say

Finally, HP 32 was the dominant player and the MID didn't have an answer, period ! MIDS had no answer for HP 26 over the top physical midfield play, no slides, late slide and zero body.

Did you see that other team beat Cuse. The MIDS need to step it up. I will say something about that other coach from up north. He always talks about his seniors and give them all an opportunity to play in true player development and turns over team ownership to the seniors. Military Style

Coach Amplo spends a majority of his press time talking about 24 (Zero Minutes to date) and the youth movement. To me, This is truly concerning on many fronts. But, I am looking forward to seeing the young MID play, when the time is right.
be honest, you cutN pasted these comments from a 2017 thread, replacing Sowell with Amplo....

carry on
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

The time to (really) evaluate begins tomorrow....everything else was a primer; all that matters is winning the PL.

Something is certainly amiss on offense, and maybe it is b/c they are moving guys around (too much) while trying to respect upperclassman contributors. They are certainly missing those seniors from last year and that 1st line of midfielders cant do it all. The past 3-4 years their attack led in team scoring....it has fallen off considerably this year. I still believe the issue is no true threat at the righty attack spot.....I would still not be surprised to see #24 fill that spot. Plus he gives you significant more pressure on the ride and transition opportunity.
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:08 pm Coach Amplo spends a majority of his press time talking about 24 (Zero Minutes to date)....
What has he said, other than respond to questions asked ?

Has anyone seen or heard anything to indicate he's close to being ready to play ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

~Livy

Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

24 is playing. Very quick feet as expected. He has no points to this point of the game: 5-3 Navy 8 minutes left in 2nd.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

:oops:
~Livy

gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wow! Navy, on multiple occasions, hasn’t been a Second Half team this year!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:51 pm 24 is playing. Very quick feet as expected. He has no points to this point of the game: 5-3 Navy 8 minutes left in 2nd.
Arline was active, got off some shots.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

The TV announcers, I assume Lehigh personnel of some sort, had an interesting comment in the second half. Navy was about to go man up and the commentator said Navy was 4 of 18 on the year man up. He then said it was no wonder they were so bad because they cannot pass and catch. Navy then proceeded to turn the ball over unforced.

Ouch.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Sisselberger is an anaconda.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:07 pm The time to (really) evaluate begins tomorrow....everything else was a primer; all that matters is winning the PL.

Something is certainly amiss on offense, and maybe it is b/c they are moving guys around (too much) while trying to respect upperclassman contributors. They are certainly missing those seniors from last year and that 1st line of midfielders cant do it all. The past 3-4 years their attack led in team scoring....it has fallen off considerably this year. I still believe the issue is no true threat at the righty attack spot.....I would still not be surprised to see #24 fill that spot. Plus he gives you significant more pressure on the ride and transition opportunity.
While watching the 1st half, it was clear (to me) the having #24 on the wing is the right move.

This is what we need more of IMO. We have a a very clear alley to take advantage of off thei wing dodge, the SSDM is taking away topside, the pick is showing we want topside, and the under is free to take which would be a 2v1 with #21. This threat is what has been lacking and will open up the field even more.

Coach Ross clearly has a designed play here out of the T/O....a nice 3v2 opportunity with a little transfer. 43 decides to take it
~Livy

essorcalveritas

Post by essorcalveritas »

Thoughts on Navy Lax so far this season:
Goalie play has been mostly solid (though not up to the standard from last year) and good enough to win most of their games (exception being HP).
The D has been solid though mostly young and inexperienced. 34 is a stud and he's only a sophomore. D has had some occasional lapses (not unexpected with a young core). SSDMs have not performed consistently enough. Middie play has been hit and miss. 29 is clearly the alpha but 28 is very solid (except his shooting percentage is not near where it needs to be). Other teams focus on 28 and 29 and are daring the others to perform. Attack has not performed nearly well enough - although 10 (freshman) has hit the ground running. Overall, not enough creativity at Attack. This has allowed other teams to game plan for 28 and 29 and the Attack unit needs to step up. Face-offs have been mostly fools gold. Had a 57% win rate till they ran into Sisselberger this week (who is excellent but not unbeatable- he went 50/50 v Hobart). Mostly winning with counters but they need to start winning some clamps too.
Man Up unit has been atrocious all season and Im not sure how to get that better (thats what coach Ross gets paid the $$ for).
My humble opinion is that if Navy drops another couple of games in the PL, then it may be time to start getting some Sophomores and Freshmen a look in preparation for next season. All is not lost, but the offense needs to get better and fast. I was curious to see 24 perform, and he obviously has some shifty feet but looked too raw and one could tell he hadn't played lacrosse in a couple of years.
Lastly, I would recommend the whole team do 1hr wall ball and GB drills daily. Basic execution has been way subpar for a D1 program.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

I attended this game, First time in a long time. Loved every minute except for the lack of adjustment by our staff and the outcome.

Our Defense just ran out of gas and not winning a draw, absolutely was devastating towards the end of game. 34 is the heart and soul of defense, the MID gets hurt, running to the sideline limping, gets tapped up and is right back in the game. True Warrior Spirit.
30 and 33 had a hard day, LH is a stick fairy team with one attackman being the exception, you have to make them violently pay for inside shooting and that was lacking. 66, 5, 47 and 37 did a decent job, but the ball movement in the clearing better needs to improve. Keeper was solid and played at a high level all day. We just ran out of gas on the Defensive end.

Midfield – Like I said, “Ride or Die” with the First Midfield. Navy is a Midfield Based Offense, period with 28, 29 and 43. 28 is a time and space shooting, 29 is a hard noised get downhill goal scorer , 43 will take what you give him and make you pay. But, 28 couldn’t connect on his shooting, 29 couldn’t get a full head of speed due to a quick slide and 43 played his game. Second Midfield, once again different personnel with 48, 6 and 25. They all have a different style of play and the balls either dies in their sticks or they threw the ball away. 6 had a nice back your defender downplay. I am surprised that 64, 22 and 12 haven’t made it back into the rotation. Hence, 28 – No Goals, 29- NO Goals and 43 with three hard fought goals, 6 – One Goal.

Attack- I was eager to see 24, after all the hype from the media. Nice shake and speed, but he turned the ball over numerous times, tried to shoot between his legs, was lost on the ride and not sure Coach Amplo enjoyed watching “X” twirl his stick at “X”. It might have been too big of a stage for his first game. No doubt that 24 will be a good player once he gets his “sea” legs underneath him. 21 had a nice early goal on the switch, 10 nice lefty step down. 32 was splitting time with 24 and couldn’t really find his rhythm on the inside and 6 only played Midfield. 21 with Two Goals , 10 with One Goal

FOGO- Early on the MIDS battled and controlled the first few draws. Then LH 99 established dominance and Coach Amplo didn’t adjust. LH 99 stick skills are suspect and I am not sure why we didn’t double pole the until last few face-offs. Make LH 99 pay for his lack of stick skills. But, he is legit, period.
smoova

Post by smoova »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:51 pm LH is a stick fairy team ...
I'm not familiar with this term. Could you expound? Thanks

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”