Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Lax1

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Lax1 »

nyjay wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:44 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:41 pm It’s so maddening to watch this Hopkins team. Even their win last week against Loyola was hard to watch.

DocBarrister :?
Everything just seems hard for them, especially on offense. They just don't get easy goals. They have to work for everything and sometimes it just doesn't.
They don’t get transition and they hardly draw slides/move the D. Lacrosse is hard but they’re making it look even harder. Some athletes in the middle of the field would help, I imagine, but i’m grossly under-qualified to diagnose the issue here.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Lax1 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:47 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:41 pm It’s so maddening to watch this Hopkins team. Even their win last week against Loyola was hard to watch.

Everything just seems hard for them, especially on offense. They just don't get easy goals. They have to work for everything and sometimes it just doesn't.
They don’t get transition and they hardly draw slides/move the D. Lacrosse is hard but they’re making it look even harder. Some athletes in the middle of the field would help, I imagine, but i’m grossly under-qualified to diagnose the issue here.
Yup. Very few skips too.

Maybe guard 4?
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

Goalie play is much better for Hop today. However, its clear that Chris Gray reads the scouting report - Kirson is garbage above his chest. Almost every goal against has been above his chest. He is anticipating low shots well, but too much anticipation and is prematurely going low. He has had some good saves today, but also a number of low softballs.

That said, Chris Gray is the best player in college, hands down. Even knowing he is UNC's #1, 2, and 3 option himself, he still completely dominates in every fashion.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

That was pretty good transition D by Smith to get back after losing the faceoff but UNC's field is a complete abomination. Slipping and sliding everywhere
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Well, the clear was a lot better today.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:52 pm

Yup. Very few skips too.

Maybe guard 4?
Even the most basic things aren’t done well.

Some here have wondered why the Blue Jays seem to take so much time to set up on offense.

Just watch some Blue Jays take a leisurely jog off the field during substitutions. Those guys should be running full speed off the field. There’s no reason to wonder why it takes so long to set up on offense.

And the the turnovers … 15 already today.

@DocBarrister
Mr. F

Post by Mr. F »

They just don’t look like they want to be there
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Narewski is in uniform today. Not sure what the point of that is unless he's an option to play. And, well, could have used him.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mr. F wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:04 pm They just don’t look like they want to be there
Oh give me a break. They're playing hard to the last whistle. They lost. Who looks happy when you lose?
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:01 pm
nyjay wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:52 pm

Yup. Very few skips too.

Maybe guard 4?
Even the most basic things aren’t done well.

Some here have wondered why the Blue Jays seem to take so much time to set up on offense.

Just watch some Blue Jays take a leisurely jog off the field during substitutions. Those guys should be running full speed off the field. There’s no reason to wonder why it takes so long to set up on offense.

And the the turnovers … 15 already today.

Particularly in the 4th quarter. There was no sense of urgency in the substitutions.
DocBarrister

Second Terrific Game from Kirson

Post by DocBarrister »

Don’t know what’s been done differently, but Josh Kirson has played lights out the last two weeks.

Today, 20 saves and 0.571 save percentage.

All the pieces are there for this Hopkins team to excel. Now only if the entire team can show up for a game (or the entire game).

@DocBarrister
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

The defense and rope unit were on the field the entirety of the 3rd quarter. They were gassed from being out there and it was made all the more difficult by running around on the sloppy wet field trying to keep their footing.

You can complain about being slow to sub and Martin's one failed clear when he stopped moving his feet sure wasn't a bright spot but its all understandable. They got worn down.

I'm still at a point where I think we shouldn't have much in terms of expectations for this team. They are playing well at times but are still very much a work in progress. Clearing today looked much more heads up and smart at the very least. Defensively we were a bit of a mess but how much of that was exacerbated by the field conditions. The offense for most of the day looked pretty bad and completely unsure of how to attack the UNC zone that was presented.

Learn from it and move on to next week. As a fan prepare yourself mentally for a drubbing from UVA. Would be nice to be competitive, would be astounding to win, but I'm not expecting good things next weekend.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:25 pm The defense and rope unit were on the field the entirety of the 3rd quarter. They were gassed from being out there and it was made all the more difficult by running around on the sloppy wet field trying to keep their footing.

You can complain about being slow to sub and Martin's one failed clear when he stopped moving his feet sure wasn't a bright spot but its all understandable. They got worn down.

I'm still at a point where I think we shouldn't have much in terms of expectations for this team. They are playing well at times but are still very much a work in progress. Clearing today looked much more heads up and smart at the very least. Defensively we were a bit of a mess but how much of that was exacerbated by the field conditions. The offense for most of the day looked pretty bad and completely unsure of how to attack the UNC zone that was presented.

Learn from it and move on to next week. As a fan prepare yourself mentally for a drubbing from UVA. Would be nice to be competitive, would be astounding to win, but I'm not expecting good things next weekend.
There is no way this Hopkins team should prepare for a drubbing from Virginia.

Today’s game against North Carolina was winnable.

If the Blue Jays play up to their potential, then they can play with anyone.

They have the pieces … now they have to put it all together.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:35 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:25 pm The defense and rope unit were on the field the entirety of the 3rd quarter. They were gassed from being out there and it was made all the more difficult by running around on the sloppy wet field trying to keep their footing.

DocBarrister
Face offs??
molo

Post by molo »

The “solution” was to face-off with their best pole when they had at be least two healthy FOGOs and the former starter dressed
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

18 played, 22 watched from the sidelines, 13 didn’t travel. Hop playing with fire with the non travel list. Historically posters here criticized Petro for his short list of players that saw time but he always managed to make sure players travelled. Leaving guys in Baltimore when the team puts up that stinker down at UNC is a recipe for a fractured locker room.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:14 pm 18 played, 22 watched from the sidelines, 13 didn’t travel. Hop playing with fire with the non travel list. Historically posters here criticized Petro for his short list of players that saw time but he always managed to make sure players travelled. Leaving guys in Baltimore when the team puts up that stinker down at UNC is a recipe for a fractured locker room.
Counterpoint: no it isn't

BTW, there's 51 on the roster, so if 40 traveled then only 11 didn't

Also, 23 guys got in the game today. Not 18.

Looking at the sideline, those who didn't travel were the guys who are hurt and then a handful of freshmen who weren't going to play regardless. It's really nothing out of the ordinary
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:55 pm

DocBarrister
Face offs??
Face offs have not been a major problem this season. If we can get Narewski back in March, Dunn and Narewski, in addition to being a reasonably good name for a law firm, would be a pretty good face off tandem.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:27 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:55 pm

DocBarrister
Face offs??
Face offs have not been a major problem this season. If we can get Narewski back in March, Dunn and Narewski, in addition to being a reasonably good name for a law firm, would be a pretty good face off tandem.

DocBarrister
Seems like Prouty never really adjusted to the changed rules. Which is somewhat surprising - I thought the change would actually benefit him. Not his best day today (and 2nd half against Loyola wasn't great either), but Dunn's been good so far. Exceeded my expectations and will continue to get better. Would be good to get Nawreki back next week. Otherwise, we'll have to listen to a whole game about how unbelievable LaSala is.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Prouty actually got the better of LaSalla in 2019 but that was obviously under the old rules and I'd expect a different result next week. Will help to have Narewski back. Not sure why he dressed if he wasn't an option.

Not too concerned about faceoffs longterm. UNC has a very good tandem, both of whom are super athletic.

We had no answer for Gray. All three of our poles covered him at one point but nothing was working. Heels were doing a very good job getting him matched up with shorties. He also had points in transition and on the EMO. Even if you lock him down 6v6 he'll find ways to score. He's a superstar. And we don't have a player like that who can take over a game when things aren't clicking. Wasn't super impressed by anyone else on UNC to be honest. We got beat by one superb player, a faceoff deficit, and truly abysmal field conditions. Clears, TOs, and non-faceoff GBs were even.

Clearing was better than last week, so that's something. Epstein and DeSo combined for 6 goals and 8 pts but we got nothing out of the second midfield or 3rd attack spot again. Looks like Peshko is playing EMO but has lost his spot in the midfield rotation (for now) to Raposo/Evans though neither of them registered a statistic. Raposo had a nice feed to Peshko on the doorstep but he got stuffed by Krieg.

Wish they would push transition a bit more. They've got the athletes in Smith, McManus, Martin, Jaronski to do it. LSM is the right spot for Smith as he becomes a big weapon in the transition game (as we saw again today with his assist to Dunn). Szuluk, Jennings, McManus all had chances in the transition game but couldn't convert, on another day maybe those go in. Because teams are so afraid of Epstein as a wing shooter in transition they're just conceding the middle of the field to poles and letting them rip it. Forget if it was Jennings or McManus but one was unfortunate to have his shot blocked.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”