W&L 2019

D3 Mens Lacrosse
valaxfan

Re: W&L 2019

Post by valaxfan »

Good to see Taylor have a terrific game. AJ back for second game despite comments that he would not be back until ODAC playoffs. Nice win today Generals.

valaxfan
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

AQ or bust. Three one goal losses make gaining the AQ a must I believe if they are to get to the NCAA tournament. Possible route could be Lynchburg wins both games this weekend, W&L beats them in the regular season and loses in the ODAC final. That’s probably wishful thinking. On paper this may be the best team they’ve fielded in 20 years. Hope it comes together for them. How about a starting attack, Mize, AJ, Weaver 38% career shooter, number 31 has started 8 games and has no points in 38% of them, CNU, Denison and Gettysburg(thru 8 games).He also has the second highest number of shots producing 10 goals 2 assists in 9 games. Need to be more productive in the third spot,time for Weaver to get the keys to the car .... Nice win tonight by the hornets over stangs. They trailed the whole game until 4:41 in the 4th as they won the qtr 6-1. Great efforts o very disciplined in their comeback, no panic. Worth a look, mustangs poled the hornets mids and was pretty effective until they had a few mental breakdowns and they imploded in the 4th. Hornets looked well coached , disciplend and executed. How about the Hornets taking Wesleyan to the wire in the Mustang Classic , great game
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How’s Stu Greenspan been for you guys? He was stuck in a real logjam at hobart but thought even though w&L had some returning talent that he’d be running on a first line and contribute pretty fast. See he’s had a few goals but haven’t followed closely.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Dehuntshigwa’es

One of the top 6 mids having a nice season to date, significant upside to his game. He will be a key contributor going forward.
groundballhog804

Post by groundballhog804 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:07 pm How’s Stu Greenspan been for you guys? He was stuck in a real logjam at hobart but thought even though w&L had some returning talent that he’d be running on a first line and contribute pretty fast. See he’s had a few goals but haven’t followed closely.
Great shot and loads of confidence on and off the field!
Dehuntshigwa’es

Big game today with HSC, nice to see a complete game by the Gennies. Mize has been a great find, now a starter on attack. Like to see Weaver also become a starter with AJ on the attack. It’s that time of year at the mid point where freshman are no longer freshman, and if talented can help make a difference.Curious to see if any other freshman like Mize come to the fore before the seasons out. Despite what W&L does thru the remainder of the season it’s a real possibility that both they and Lynchburg will need the AQ to gain access to the NCAA’s. In what is perhaps the most talented team in the last 20 years not making the tournament would be a real shame. Lynchburg is going to be a very tough out. I’ve seen them play 3 times and if they had been a little stronger at the dot in 3 of their four losses they might be ranked significantly higher. Hodgson along with Londrey will be key in that match up. In spite of some poor performances at the dot Lynchburg was able to make those losses tight games because they were able to manufacture possessions thru ct’s , low turnovers , clearing and very good team D.... They will shut AJ off the moment he gets off the bus and follow him to classes on Monday. Hope W&L plays them straight up in the first contest and only scheme them in what I think will be the ODAC final.Lots of lax to be played until then.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Well the Generals playing to their potential should be a National Championship threat.
Dehuntshigwa’es

thescottharris wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:26 pm Well the Generals playing to their potential should be a National Championship threat.
Brummett for HSC is making me eat my words. He’s winning the clamp 😊....making it worse is hsc 1/1 on emo! Generals in control 13-4 in 4th. Final 17-6,Generals,good game by #31 for the Generals 3 and 2, also Weaver 4 goals on 7 shots , AJ 4and 2. HSC seemed to zone it up most the day it looked like accounting in part for a low 14 turnovers by the Generals. 21/22 on clears was nice to see. The D had a very solid day making for a nice win. Hope Kriss on D is fine , he’s had enough injuries for one career.
Dehuntshigwa’es

thescottharris wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:26 pm Well the Generals playing to their potential should be a National Championship threat.
certainly open to debate, not sure who the last 6-4 mid point of the season team has gotten to a final four. For now W&L’s losses York,Gettysburg, Denison and F&M are a combined 26-8 while their wins are against teams who are 35-20, with one of those wins against a top 20 team CNU. None of the other wins are against top 20 teams . AJ is now 22 pts away from history 290pts while he’s at 268. With at least one ODAC tournament game in the bag he’s looking reasonably good, hope he gets there.Roanoke could be tough with Davies capable of standing on his head along with Sarro and Lindley. Lynchburg is a very good team who almost took down Wesleyan. Looking forward to some hard fought games
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:34 pm
Brummett for HSC is making me eat my words. He’s winning the clamp 😊....making it worse is hsc 1/1 on emo! Generals in control 13-4 in 4th. Final 17-6,Generals,good game by #31 for the Generals 3 and 2, also Weaver 4 goals on 7 shots , AJ 4and 2. HSC seemed to zone it up most the day it looked like accounting in part for a low 14 turnovers by the Generals. 21/22 on clears was nice to see. The D had a very solid day making for a nice win. Hope Kriss on D is fine , he’s had enough injuries for one career.
Brummett went 13-25 against Hodgson last year. He apparently matches up pretty well with him.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Talking about a complete player #21 not only is he 22 pts away from breaking the scoring record but other than Hodgson leads the current team in career ground balls to date as an attackman . Total lax player
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ODACLAX

Post by ODACLAX »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:17 pm Talking about a complete player #31 not only is he 22 pts away from breaking the scoring record but other than Hodgson leads the current team in career ground balls to date as an attackman . Total lax player
I am sure you mean #21. What impresses me is how hard he rides and his ability to score with little time left on the clock.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Yup .
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Looking forward to the NOKE game Sat.
Lindsey and Sarro are quite a dynamic duo.
Interested to see if W&L D can keep the maroons under 10
15-7- W&L
Dehuntshigwa’es

Disappointing seasons thus far for both teams. I do t believe W&L thought they’d own 4 losses at this point in the season and Roanoke had about two of their worst back to back losses in 20 years. Davies, Sarro ranked 14th and Lindley 21st in D3 are capable of pulling an upset, no slow starts allowed in this contest by the Gennies. With a bit of frustration to this season for both teams I’m anticipating it’s gets chippy and there will be at least two unsportsmanlike calls in this game😂.... Hodgson and Londrey are the key along with goal play. Curious to see who is assigned to Sarro, young man can create.Gennies could use a big game from Hamil, having a bit of a quiet season, not sure why, shot clock, not getting enough burn but only 3 goals to date and shooting pct has fallen off significantly. Thought he’d be in the AA conversation before the year is up.Londrey is great on the wing but I wonder if placing Hamil there occasionally would make sense, great in space, can push the ball, and adept passer, maybe some quick transition goals off the face. If Davies is on Generals May need to hold them to 10
hustleorcut

Post by hustleorcut »

Big game for Gennies vs Roanoke trmw, hopefully W&L coaches coach to win game right from the start not just in 4q. Time to strengthen chemistry and ride their strongest horses. It’s do or die time, no wiggle room for mistakes.
Dehuntshigwa’es

hustleorcut wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:00 pm Big game for Gennies vs Roanoke trmw, hopefully W&L coaches coach to win game right from the start not just in 4q. Time to strengthen chemistry and ride their strongest horses. It’s do or die time, no wiggle room for mistakes.
Fair comment, thought they played too many people at times, should have shortened the bench , York, Denison, Gettysburg. Hamil is having a nice year but stats would have been better if played more. Perhaps the coaches had been thinking to play a lot of guys early in the season, let them develop and mature will be a plus for the team later in the season . Those 3 1 goal games may cost them a pool C bid......In three 1 goal losses the coaches have to steal at least 1 for your team. I believe Hodgson can become the #2 all time face off winner after his next contest and 3rd in all time attempts. Bottom line is it’s rare to get all the pieces in place, here you have perhaps the best player in the history of the school, if not the best perhaps the second best face off man about 65% a very strong goalie with the makings of being a future AA, solid D , deep at midfield. You got be able to manufacture a strong season. NCAA qtrs if not semis at a minimum not to make the dance would be performing well below the talent level of this team

Well I guess this one is in the books. Big day for Hodgson 17 for 24 so despite a 17 save effort by Davies and a very solid 13 save performance by Taylor Noke came up short .Only 2 points apiece for Sarro and Lindley. D came up big keeping them in check. Talk about shortening the bench Pilate went with 18 guys! Weaver came up big and Mize chipped in as well . Expect another excellent performance against the Bugs
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

No goals for Devane either. That helped. The silent killer for this W&L team has been turnovers. Saw it in the first half of the Roanoke game, and in all of their losses this season. I can understand wanting the offense to play free but you just can’t turn the ball over against good teams or they make you pay. A turnover is 0.3 goals against. Hope the Generals can tighten that up going down the stretch.
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

Witherall is a great player, no question, but be careful about calling him the best in the history of the program. There were guys who played in the 70's who were in the conversation for best player in the nation. Period. Not just D3. If qualified with "in the D3 era" I agree he is among, if not, the best.
oldlaw

Post by oldlaw »

Certainly the game has changed a lot since the D-I days at W&L, and as good as AJ is, I am not sure he is in the same discussion as Bauer, Lichtfuss and Skeet Chadwick, all of whom were D-I All Americans in 1974, a year in which The Generals were undefeated before losing a three goal lead in the fourth quarter to fall eventual National Champion Johns Hopkins. Bauer and Chadwick also were in the US National Team.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”